Good ole Country music y'all! - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #91 of 106 Old 04-29-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Recent Alicia Witt.

Some here may possibly remember Alicia as Alia Atreides, the child savant in David Lynch's Dune. Or her various other film and TV roles, including a variety of Xmas movies for the Hallmark channel.

Nice voice, and accomplished pianist, who also directs some of her own MVs. A very multi-talented lady.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 04-29-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Only plays on YT.

ADU
post #93 of 106 Old 04-29-2019, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 406
My musical taste runs the gamut, but I probably neglect country more than any genre (aside from like opera or classical deep cuts). I absolutely abhor new style "bro" country, which is mostly just rehashed 50s rock with added twang and very specific subject matter. Numerous jokes have been made about this phenomenon over the last decade (or more), but if it happens that no one ever makes another song featuring pick up trucks, dirt roads, beer, and "my baby girl" the world will survive. I grew up in SC so country was, unavoidably, a big chunk of what I was first exposed to musically. Luckily, I made friends with a guy who, with the help of his older brother, knew about rock and classic rock, and he rubbed off on me so I ended up being one of the weird (weird for the south in 1995 anyway) kids in high school driving around blasting stuff like David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, The Beatles, Metallica, etc.

That being said, I have very soft spots in my heart for, especially, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. From a songwriting POV, those two are the genuine article in my opinion. I know there are many more of their ilk I have just not researched, but I feel artists like George Jones, Waylon Jennings, George Straight, Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Merle Haggard, and even newer artists like Clint Black, Garth Brooks, and Dwight Yoakam are all legit legends and great musicians/performers.

As far as Willie, favorites include, well basically everything off of Greatest Hits (& Some That Will Be), but his catalogue is vastly prolific. As for Johnny, same thing, he has so much great stuff, but Live at Folsom Prison and American Recordings stand out for me. Seeing his video for his cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt" literally made me cry because it came out around the same time June Carter died, and we knew he wouldn't make it much longer after that.
Tom Bley, ADU and pjp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 106 Old 04-29-2019, 01:08 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
That being said, I have very soft spots in my heart for, especially, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash.
Agree with the above strongly. For me, Willie is probably my favorite vocalist in any genre. He has a unique sound, not just in his voice, but in the way he phrases every line in every song. To me, nobody captures emotions better than Willie.

Johnny Cash doesn't capture emotion all that well to me, which is usually everything I value in a singer, but he just has a unique voice and style that stands alone and he is my second favorite to Willie (at least in the country genre).

When I listen to country today, 95% of it puts me in a coma, because everything sounds the same. It seems like every country artist and country group is copying a formula (and a fairly boring formula at that) rather than having unique voices, performing uniquely written songs, expressed with unique phrasing. I'm not generally one of those people who is stuck in the past and hates everything new, but it comes to country, I can't help but feel that way 95% of the time.
Ben23 likes this.
post #95 of 106 Old 04-29-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
If ya'll like a modern take on older country ... real country is coming back strong.

Check Out:

Sarah Shook and the Disarmers
Whitey Morgan and the 78's
Cody Jinks
The Steel Woods
Whiskey Myers

Just to get you started.
ADU and Ben23 like this.
post #96 of 106 Old 04-29-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 6032
My grandmother was obsessed with country music.
i remember hearing REAL country music at the age of 7 and up
when i used to visit her. this new stuff is legit horrible and NOT
country at all, it's sad.
pjp and Ben23 like this.
post #97 of 106 Old 04-29-2019, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
My musical taste runs the gamut, but I probably neglect country more than any genre (aside from like opera or classical deep cuts). I absolutely abhor new style "bro" country, which is mostly just rehashed 50s rock with added twang and very specific subject matter. Numerous jokes have been made about this phenomenon over the last decade (or more), but if it happens that no one ever makes another song featuring pick up trucks, dirt roads, beer, and "my baby girl" the world will survive. I grew up in SC so country was, unavoidably, a big chunk of what I was first exposed to musically. Luckily, I made friends with a guy who, with the help of his older brother, knew about rock and classic rock, and he rubbed off on me so I ended up being one of the weird (weird for the south in 1995 anyway) kids in high school driving around blasting stuff like David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, The Beatles, Metallica, etc.

That being said, I have very soft spots in my heart for, especially, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. From a songwriting POV, those two are the genuine article in my opinion. I know there are many more of their ilk I have just not researched, but I feel artists like George Jones, Waylon Jennings, George Straight, Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Merle Haggard, and even newer artists like Clint Black, Garth Brooks, and Dwight Yoakam are all legit legends and great musicians/performers.

As far as Willie, favorites include, well basically everything off of Greatest Hits (& Some That Will Be), but his catalogue is vastly prolific. As for Johnny, same thing, he has so much great stuff, but Live at Folsom Prison and American Recordings stand out for me. Seeing his video for his cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt" literally made me cry because it came out around the same time June Carter died, and we knew he wouldn't make it much longer after that.
I grew up in the Midwest in the 70's. So can identify with alot of what you're sayin. I enjoy some "bro-country". But also enjoy many of the old-timers you named as well. So can go either way on this topic.

You didn't mention Sweet, Queen, Iggy Pop, Elton John, The Stones or The Who in your list of rock bands btw. I assume that was an oversight. McCartney's Wings was another of my favs, after the Beatles breakup. Hard to listen to some of these groups now though, the recordings were often so shrill.

I enjoy some music from the 50's as well, including some old rockabilly and doowop tunes. So maybe that's why I'm ok with some bro. The genres were a little harder to disentangle back then because everyone wanted to cover everyone else, and get the next gold record... Or at least the labels did.
Ben23 likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 04-29-2019 at 09:23 PM.
post #98 of 106 Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
My grandmother was obsessed with country music.
i remember hearing REAL country music at the age of 7 and up
when i used to visit her. this new stuff is legit horrible and NOT
country at all, it's sad.
Willie wrote this 3 decades early ....

Ben23 likes this.
post #99 of 106 Old 04-30-2019, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
You didn't mention Sweet, Queen, Iggy Pop, Elton John, The Stones or The Who in your list of rock bands btw. I assume that was an oversight.
Ha ha. Yeah, just riffing off the top of my head. If I tried to list out ALL of the stuff I listened to in high school (and still today), yeah, I'd be sitting here for a LOOONG time. I also love the ones you mentioned, especially The Who: Best rhythm section in the history of rock IMO (Entwistle and Moon). And it's not like Daltrey and Townshend were slouches. Despite their acolytes, I still think The Who is generally underrated.

Last edited by Ben23; 04-30-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #100 of 106 Old 04-30-2019, 10:10 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Pretty good list of lesser known Willie songs -> https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...th-1962-90665/
Ben23 likes this.
post #101 of 106 Old 05-18-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
To me original country music (Before country rock started) is the only COUNTRY MUSIC (Traditonal)

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #102 of 106 Old 05-19-2019, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I like my outlaw country music!

Lonesome, On'ry and Mean - Waylon Jennings

I've Always Been Crazy - Waylon Jennings
post #103 of 106 Old 05-19-2019, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Patsy Cline

Main:🎭Denon AVR-S740H/Sony UBP-X800/Sanyo 55" 4K UHD HDR/Paradigm Cinema 100 x6/Cinema Center 1/Cinema Sub x2/CM-4228/7778/7600/LTE filter/RG-6 Quad Shield coax. Bedroom:📺Samsung 42" plasma/Samsung HT-J4500/Aluratek ADTB01F HD DVR. PC:🖥Dell Optiplex 780/intel Q9650/16gb DDR3/GT710/SB Audigy FX/Logitech X-530/RCA 32" HDTV. GamingConsoles:🎮 PSone/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox OneX
post #104 of 106 Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
To me original country music (Before country rock started) is the only COUNTRY MUSIC (Traditonal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
I like my outlaw country music!

Lonesome, On'ry and Mean

I like it all ... (as long as it's not the new **** )

ADU likes this.

Last edited by pjp; 05-20-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #105 of 106 Old 05-20-2019, 10:17 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD/DTS View Post
Patsy Cline
This Jimmy Buffet song turned me on to Patsy Cline:

Jimmy Buffet "Miss you so badly" Lyrics:

I got a head full of feelin' higher
And an ear full of Patsy Cline
There is just no one who can touch her
Hell, I'll hang on every line
Oh, crazy how things happen, it's incredible but true
The longer I'm gone the closer I feel to you
post #106 of 106 Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsauvag View Post
If ya'll like a modern take on older country ... real country is coming back strong.

Check Out:

Sarah Shook and the Disarmers
Whitey Morgan and the 78's
Cody Jinks
The Steel Woods
Whiskey Myers

Just to get you started.
Just saw Whitey Morgan a couple weeks ago. Spectacular. Saw Cody and Whiskey Myers last summer.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page