Concert DVD/BD recommendations - Page 296 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #8851 of 9324 Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

Ok thanks. How about oasis live at Welby? I have to believe that the audio is better then familiar to millions which I thought sucked. There and then was better. Afterall, Welby is 2008.
Pearl jam twenty?

haven'y heard any of their discs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 9324 Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Oasis live at Wembley Arena. Oct, 2008 is played on Palladia once in a while. I have multiple copies of it. Awesome show!!! I haven't heard of the BBC show though, I'll have to check it out.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #8853 of 9324 Old 01-31-2014, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

Oasis live at Wembly Arena 2008 is played on Palladia once in a while. I have multiple copies of it. Awesome show!!! I haven't heard of the BBC show though, I'll have to check it out.

Looks like the only way to get the bbs show is by downloading it , something I know nothing about. I'm curious though, how good can the audio be on all these different shows that I assume have been pirated. I have never listened to a pirate version of anything. Can you get high quality audio ? I'm not really interested in buying unless the sound quality is there for my home theater. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8854 of 9324 Old 01-31-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I would never trust pirated stuff.Lots of concerts available to watch on Youtube to give you an idea of what you might want to buy.Amazon is another good source for concert discs and reviews on them.When its time to buy dont pass up the amazon marketplace for used items both in US and Amazon.com UK.Ive saved a ton of money and never had an issue with a used item from Amazon.

Matt
post #8855 of 9324 Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

I would never trust pirated stuff.Lots of concerts available to watch on Youtube to give you an idea of what you might want to buy.Amazon is another good source for concert discs and reviews on them.When its time to buy dont pass up the amazon marketplace for used items both in US and Amazon.com UK.Ive saved a ton of money and never had an issue with a used item from Amazon.

Thanks. I would always buy from Amazon, PBS etc. but I was wondering about some of the stuff that has not been released yet that you can't buy at amazon. The oasis bbc show would be a good example because you know that the original audio master must be very good given its origin.
I'm just wondering how most of these get pirated. How good can the audio be compared to if it were to be released ?
post #8856 of 9324 Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 AM

The audio from Palladia would be Dolby Digital 2.0, or Dts. My copies play loud and clear although it's not what you would get if you had the master. Download quality always varies based on a number of things.

post #8857 of 9324 Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 AM

I went back and corrected the typo in my original post. It's Wembley Arena. Oct, 2008. I guess the easiest way to see this and any show you might want is just to subscribe to Palladia if you can.

I checked on the net and found a lot of Oasis shows I might take a chance on. Best wishes.

post #8858 of 9324 Old 02-01-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Thanks. I would always buy from Amazon, PBS etc. but I was wondering about some of the stuff that has not been released yet that you can't buy at amazon. The oasis bbc show would be a good example because you know that the original audio master must be very good given its origin.
I'm just wondering how most of these get pirated. How good can the audio be compared to if it were to be released ?

Don't ask me.......what do you think I have 2.5 terra bytes on hand for? smile.gif
post #8859 of 9324 Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Look at it this way. Decent audio from a collector Vs no audio from an official release. I go with decent.

post #8860 of 9324 Old 02-06-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
JOE Bonamassa - Blues/Rock/Guitar

After hearing about, and listening to digital copies of various Bonamassa concerts I broke down on the weekend and bought one of his Tour De Force Blu Ray discs.(Live at Royal Albert Hall)

I’m so glad I bought the Blu Ray. As expected the increase in quality vs. my digital version was amazing. The visuals improved greatly and the Audio quality was very good.

I only discovered Joe Bonamassa and have to say I’m very impressed with his guitar playing and singing.

I was never a huge blues fan, nor a hard rock guy. But for some reason Bonamassa struck a chord with me. I love all but one of the 4 Tour De Force BR, and also find the Acoustic sessions at Vienna to be impressive. I plan to purchase all his Blu ray discs over time.

The Tour De Force series is such a cool idea. 4 concerts over 4 nights, in 4 different venues in London England..

If you have never heard him and like blues and great guitar playing-give him a listen.

Yamaha HTR-6063- receiver (or RX-V667)
Sony Bdp-s590
Panasonic VT60 65
Yamaha R N303 stereo receiver
Pioneer PL-200 turntable
post #8861 of 9324 Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maritimer555 View Post

After hearing about, and listening to digital copies of various Bonamassa concerts I broke down on the weekend and bought one of his Tour De Force Blu Ray discs.(Live at Royal Albert Hall)

I’m so glad I bought the Blu Ray. As expected the increase in quality vs. my digital version was amazing. The visuals improved greatly and the Audio quality was very good.

I only discovered Joe Bonamassa and have to say I’m very impressed with his guitar playing and singing.

I was never a huge blues fan, nor a hard rock guy. But for some reason Bonamassa struck a chord with me. I love all but one of the 4 Tour De Force BR, and also find the Acoustic sessions at Vienna to be impressive. I plan to purchase all his Blu ray discs over time.

The Tour De Force series is such a cool idea. 4 concerts over 4 nights, in 4 different venues in London England..

If you have never heard him and like blues and great guitar playing-give him a listen.

I liked them all very much though there was some overlap with Hammersmith and Royal Albert.

JVC X550R /Panny UB820/GIK treatments
Elunevision 140" 2.35
Marantz AV8802a/Wyred4Sound 7-channel amp
Outlaw 5000/ 4 JBL 328Cs for Atmos/ 7.2.4 Atmos
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds(4)/Dual Pierce/Speakerpower 21" subs
post #8862 of 9324 Old 02-06-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:

I've seen the shows on Palladia. Joe's a great guitarist for a younger guy. The whole show does get a bit tedious after a while though. Memo to any other guitarists on the board... Practice your pentatonic scales on a regular basis. Some days that's all I work on. If you want to play like joe thats a large part of what will get you there.

post #8863 of 9324 Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Stacie's sound is one part country, one part blues, and one part rock. She flat out rocks from the beginning to end.

The bass-player Al Collins (Stacie's husband) is a current memeber of Jason & The Scorchers. So if you like the Scorchers you'll enjoy this DVD.

Filmed in widescreen the video and sound is really good, though this is not bluray quality.

A good value you get a DVD of the concert along with a CD of the same concert, you can only pick it up on her website (link below) or Amazon UK.

http://www.staciecollins.com/store/

post #8864 of 9324 Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

I am the ultimate Joe Bonamassa fan, I think I have everything he's ever recorded and saw him live four times and counting. I am curious as to which one of the Tour De Force you didn't like. I like the Shepherds Bush Empire disc the best, followed by The Borderline. The former is a more pure sounding Joe and the latter goes back to his roots. In Hammersmith he incorporates a horn section and more keyboards, which I am still on the fence about and finally, like KevinH. said, there is some overlap with the Royal Albert Hall disc.

Next on your viewing list should be Live At The Beacon Theater with special guests Beth Hart, John Hiatt, and Paul Rodgers and the original Royal Albert Hall concert from 2009.
post #8865 of 9324 Old 02-07-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Next on your viewing list should be Live At The Beacon Theater with special guests Beth Hart, John Hiatt, and Paul Rodgers and the original Royal Albert Hall concert from 2009.

I have both of these DVDs, the highlight of the "Live from the Royal Albert Hall" is his stunning Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top medley, "Live At The Beacon Theater" is maybe a little better because of the special guests.

Also don't forget the Black Country Communion Live Over Europe Concert DVD.
post #8866 of 9324 Old 02-07-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

I have both of these DVDs, the highlight of the "Live from the Royal Albert Hall" is his stunning Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top medley, "Live At The Beacon Theater" is maybe a little better because of the special guests.

Also don't forget the Black Country Communion Live Over Europe Concert DVD.

I think the Live From The Royal Albert Hall is my personal favorite,among other reasons, it was my first introduction to all things Joe. From the opening chords of Django and the double drum attack all the way to the end. He usually does the Led Zeppelin medley on Just Got Paid, which he has done as an encore and it has morphed over time to include Yes Starship Troopers and even Whitesnake Still Of The Night.

Live At The Beacon is Joe playing at the peak of his career, the special guests just add to it.

I have all the audio CD's of Black Country Communion and have seen parts of Live Over Europe, a good concert to be sure but I just can't stand Glenn Hugh's "rockstar face".
post #8867 of 9324 Old 02-07-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks art, ordered Stacie......
post #8868 of 9324 Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

I think the Live From The Royal Albert Hall is my personal favorite,among other reasons, it was my first introduction to all things Joe. From the opening chords of Django and the double drum attack all the way to the end. He usually does the Led Zeppelin medley on Just Got Paid, which he has done as an encore and it has morphed over time to include Yes Starship Troopers and even Whitesnake Still Of The Night.

Live At The Beacon is Joe playing at the peak of his career, the special guests just add to it.

I have all the audio CD's of Black Country Communion and have seen parts of Live Over Europe, a good concert to be sure but I just can't stand Glenn Hugh's "rockstar face".

Check out Popa Chubby...

post #8869 of 9324 Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

Check out Popa Chubby...

I had never heard of him, wow! He makes a Strat sound totally different. What Popa and Joe both possess is the ability to coax a unique tone out of their guitars that is heavier and sometimes dirtier than i've ever heard. It's that tone that drew me instantly to Joe and now i'll be checking this guy out, thanks!
post #8870 of 9324 Old 02-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 281
^^^^^

Great, and not as arrogant as Joe
post #8871 of 9324 Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Was doing some work on the laptop with the TV running in the background and I hear this killer jam. Is on the Conan Obrien Show. I turn it up and notice the name of the band on the bass drum.

Rock Candy Funk Party

The lead guitarist is none other than our guy Joe Bonamassa. They are promoting a new live concert album due out Feb 25th. Amazon has it @ $22 for the BluRay+2 audio CDs. It's pre-ordered!

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #8872 of 9324 Old 02-12-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Thought about the RCFP but want to wait for some reviews. Pre ordered the Dukes of September blu-ray. I saw them live and thoroughly enjoyed the show

post #8873 of 9324 Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

Was doing some work on the laptop with the TV running in the background and I hear this killer jam. Is on the Conan Obrien Show. I turn it up and notice the name of the band on the bass drum.

Rock Candy Funk Party

The lead guitarist is none other than our guy Joe Bonamassa. They are promoting a new live concert album due out Feb 25th. Amazon has it @ $22 for the BluRay+2 audio CDs. It's pre-ordered!

That came about when Joe and Tal ( his drummer ) used to jam with local musicians at a small club in L.A. called the Baked Potato and it became a hit. Joe has many side projects, including two blues albums with Beth Hart as well as appearing on Jon Lords last Concerto For Group And Orchestra. I like R.C.F.P. ok but it is not normally my type of music.
post #8874 of 9324 Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hi

It is the borderline that i disliked.
As far as non Tour de Force BR i also really like the Royal Albert Hall and acoustic Vienna BR.

Yamaha HTR-6063- receiver (or RX-V667)
Sony Bdp-s590
Panasonic VT60 65
Yamaha R N303 stereo receiver
Pioneer PL-200 turntable
post #8875 of 9324 Old 02-16-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are a Bob Mould fan, the DVD of his concert at the 9:30 Club in DC is very good. I just got this DVD and it's called "Circle of Friends" and it's only $6 from Amazon (new!)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUI3WY5zPq4

I'm not the biggest Mould fan out there, but the sound mix on this is excellent and it sounds great on my system. I wish the 9:30 club would record all their concerts like this. I'd buy them all.

The drummer on this is the guy from Fugazi, who is also I believe behind Trixie music which did the production. Which also explains why the mix on the drums is perfect.
post #8876 of 9324 Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just started reading through this thread. I'm on page 4.

I just watched Dio Finding the Sacred Heart: Live in Philly 1986 -- Amazing video and editing. The copy I got was stereo but it's out on Bluray. I might just have to buy it. All the 80's metal cheese is there. They cut to the action, plenty of guitar work, they show the crowd a few times which is awesome to see 1986 metal kids. Just love this concert not that I'm sure it meets your audiophile standards. Anyone have any recommendations for this level of awesome dated cheese? I mean the sound is great, the music is fun but you just can't help but laugh at the headbanging kids and the keyboard solos. Did I say I love this? Help me find more!

So I said, "Hey! Lama! How 'bout a little something, ya know, for the effort?"

Setup:
Yamaha RX-Z7
Polk Monitor 70s, CS2. FXiA6s, Monitor 30s
Samsung UN55C6800

post #8877 of 9324 Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ordered Stacie Collins new DVD + Free Bonus CD: SHININ' LIVE! on Feb 7th, never received item, phone number on Paypal confirmation disconnected.

Sent Email to REV Records, may have to file claim with paypal as I'm out $24 right now.
post #8878 of 9324 Old 02-18-2014, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision-master View Post

Ordered Stacie Collins new DVD + Free Bonus CD: SHININ' LIVE! on Feb 7th, never received item, phone number on Paypal confirmation disconnected.

Sent Email to REV Records, may have to file claim with paypal as I'm out $24 right now.

Strange I received mine without any problem, it did take about 10 working days, are you located in the US?
Maybe try and email them.
post #8879 of 9324 Old 02-18-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the heads up, Rex records emailed me this morning, should be here within a couple days.
post #8880 of 9324 Old 02-20-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blu-ray Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa Live In Amsterdam, which is released on March 24.

The 22-track show was recorded at the city’s Koninklijk Theater Carre and sees Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa delivering material that appeared on their 2011 debut Don’t Explain and 2013 follow-up Seesaw.

Tracklist
01. Amsterdam, Amsterdam!
02. Them There Eyes
03. Sinner’s Prayer
04. Can’t Let Go
05. For My Friends
06. Close To My Fire
07. Rhymes
08. Something’s Got A Hold On Me
09. Your Heart Is As Black As Night
10. Chocolate Jesus
11. Baddest Blues
12. Someday After Awhile (You’ll Be Sorry)
13. Beth introduces the band
14. Well, well
15. If I Tell You I Love You
16. See Saw
17. Strange Fruit
18. Miss Lady
19. I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know
20. Nutbush City Limits
21. I’d Rather Go Blind
22. Antwerp Jam

Rodrigues_Brazil likes this.
Sponsored Links