Alita: Battle Angel (2018) James Cameron| Robert Rodriguez | Thriller/Action - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #31 of 96 Old 12-03-2018, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 82
The anime for Akira was actually done around the time of the fourth volume of the manga, so the story wasn't complete there either. The movie is admirable for how Otomo decided to restructure the story to fit a feature film time frame. As for Alita: I saw the most recent trailer for this and am rather interested in it. The original series ran for 9 volumes, but its first sequel, Last Order, was a revision of the original story's ending that ran on another 18 or 19 volumes in itself. I would be happy if they could make a series of movies that covered the first manga series adequately; from the trailers, I'd say they're seemingly on the right track.
phantomBlack likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 96 Old 12-03-2018, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LineWalker View Post
The anime for Akira was actually done around the time of the fourth volume of the manga, so the story wasn't complete there either. The movie is admirable for how Otomo decided to restructure the story to fit a feature film time frame. As for Alita: I saw the most recent trailer for this and am rather interested in it. The original series ran for 9 volumes, but its first sequel, Last Order, was a revision of the original story's ending that ran on another 18 or 19 volumes in itself. I would be happy if they could make a series of movies that covered the first manga series adequately; from the trailers, I'd say they're seemingly on the right track.
Just learned about akira being produced towards the end of the graphic novel volumes last week. I never knew that before. I have to read the whole thing. I have the first volume sitting on my shelf along with BLAME! but have not read them yet. Need to collect all the volumes.

Gunnm/ Battle angel is so expansive. I am in the minority, but I loved last order. A lot of people said it descended into too much combat at the end, but I loved how there is always a cinematic feel to they way Yukito Kishiro rendered his artwork. I can see why James Cameron appreciated this series. He really combined tight pencil artwork, ink work and 3D software to create a very tangible massive worlds. It is incredible to see how manga artists like him, basically him and his brother assisting in the art department, can pump out such impressive and technical artwork. I am not going to say it bests Akira or something like Blame! in raw detail, but it is a very clean style.

The last series of books in the series Kasei Senki which translates to
Spoiler!
(the title is very spoilery for those who don't wanna get story elements ruined) is also shaping up nicely.

I really want this to do well, because where the story goes was made for the big screen with massive budgets.
post #33 of 96 Old 12-03-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Personally I was surprised to see the trailer today. Guess I've been living under a rock because I had no idea they were working on it. I liked the anime when it came out but then I got REALLY into the manga source material, having read all of them multiple times over. It's an unbelievably good story with a very rich world from which to draw upon. Plenty of material for this to be a franchise if the first one proves successful. The anime barely covered the first book.

I wish they continued on with the anime series and think this one might lend itself better to that format, but I'll take what I can get I suppose. Kind of a bold move to keep Alita's manga big eyes, but after seeing the trailer I gotta admit...I think I like it.

I too, am not a huge fan of over-CGI'd stuff these days, but this is a story that just might call for that, even if it does look odd at first. Again, it's a great story, so if Rodriguez and Cameron can do the source material justice, the film might have shot if raging internet nerds don't shoot it down first, killing the franchise off early unnecessarily like so many others.
I'm like you. Liked the Anime coz, it was cool. Saw a copy of Last order years later read that first. Forgot about it. Then discovered the original manga and started from the beginning. Been hooked to this day. Such a cool manga. Feels different to any of the other manga scifi I've seen or like. Ofcourse it shares a lot of themes encountered in everything from Blade runner to Gits, but there is just something special about it. It just exudes cool and bad ass. I Put it in my top 5 badass manga stories.
Montucky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 96 Old 12-03-2018, 08:13 PM

The only thing I am upset about is that unlike most manga that most people know such as Dragon Ball Z and Naruto which are classified as shonen manga: action comics for boys (And girls, its 2018), Battle Angel was Seinen : Aimed at mature audiences, because of themes and violence. So the fact that this is pg 13 without all that visceral gore that is so integral to the world of Alita, they will have to really push on the implied grittiness and dread of the source material. I am hoping for a Dark Knight tone.
post #35 of 96 Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomBlack View Post
The only thing I am upset about is that unlike most manga that most people know such as Dragon Ball Z and Naruto which are classified as shonen manga: action comics for boys (And girls, its 2018), Battle Angel was Seinen : Aimed at mature audiences, because of themes and violence. So the fact that this is pg 13 without all that visceral gore that is so integral to the world of Alita, they will have to really push on the implied grittiness and dread of the source material. I am hoping for a Dark Knight tone.

I thought Shoujou was for girls. Yeah, I know, it's 2018, but there is still a cultural distinction. And I thought Seinen just meant "Big boobs and lots of fan service"..... Joking aside, it's good to see the interest here. I really hope they promote this in a way that gets folks out to see it. I was disappointed with how GITS was promoted, or maybe I was just always in the wrong place at the wrong time. I never really saw much promotion except trailers in the theater.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #36 of 96 Old 01-21-2019, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 380

Here's a short "making of" clip with a few new scenes. Of course IW: Endgame is the big "event" movie of the year, but aside from that, this is my most anticipated movie of 2019. Judging by some of the reactions in this thread, I fear it won't do well at the box office though.
post #37 of 96 Old 01-21-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
https://youtu.be/e3xdGx7Xa4w

Here's a short "making of" clip with a few new scenes. Of course IW: Endgame is the big "event" movie of the year, but aside from that, this is my most anticipated movie of 2019. Judging by some of the reactions in this thread, I fear it won't do well at the box office though.
Not everyone who's in this thread is a theater goer, so it really doesn't matter.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #38 of 96 Old 01-23-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I have no familiarity with the source material at all, aside from knowing that James Cameron has been talking about making it for something like the past 20 years (and yes, I know he ended up producing and not directing). I knew nothing about it and hadn't formed an opinion one way or the other. It was just this forever-in-development movie of his (like Avatar was before it finally hit).

That said, the trailers for this movie make it look awful. It looks like cliches packed onto stereotypes baked into a pile of worn-out science fiction tropes. Maybe it was original in its time, but based on the trailer there doesn't seem to a single even remotely original concept on display. Unless the reviews are glowing, there's no way I'm going to see this in a theater.
Josh Z likes this.

David Forbes

My theater
post #39 of 96 Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
I have no familiarity with the source material at all, aside from knowing that James Cameron has been talking about making it for something like the past 20 years (and yes, I know he ended up producing and not directing). I knew nothing about it and hadn't formed an opinion one way or the other. It was just this forever-in-development movie of his (like Avatar was before it finally hit).

That said, the trailers for this movie make it look awful. It looks like cliches packed onto stereotypes baked into a pile of worn-out science fiction tropes. Maybe it was original in its time, but based on the trailer there doesn't seem to a single even remotely original concept on display. Unless the reviews are glowing, there's no way I'm going to see this in a theater.
Agreed, and even my kids have the same feel from the trailers. And they're almost always game for some sci-fi action.

post #40 of 96 Old 01-27-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLefty View Post
Agreed, and even my kids have the same feel from the trailers. And they're almost always game for some sci-fi action.
The TV ads are better. Not everything you see in a movie trailer will be in the finished film either.

post #41 of 96 Old 01-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 189
A kickazz female cyborg produced by James "Terminator", "Aliens", "Abyss", "Avatar" Cameron - that's all I need to know.

IN 100%
femi likes this.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #42 of 96 Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post
A kickazz female cyborg produced by James "Terminator", "Aliens", "Abyss", "Avatar" Cameron - that's all I need to know.

IN 100%
Cameron is very clever. How do you get more than just guys to show up to your SCI-FI movie, make the protagonist a chick who kicks ass. That way, everyone comes to watch.
post #43 of 96 Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4372 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Cameron is very clever. How do you get more than just guys to show up to your SCI-FI movie, make the protagonist a chick who kicks ass. That way, everyone comes to watch.
Didn't work out so great for the people who did the Ghost in the Shell remake.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #44 of 96 Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Didn't work out so great for the people who did the Ghost in the Shell remake.
One of the problems with that movie is that they didn't learn anything from Cameron. Scarlett's character showed very little emotional range, being mostly very bland and detached. Unlike for instance Ripley, in Aliens 2. Showing righteous anger at how she was screwed with by men, such as from the Reiser character, her intense protective nature for Root and her willingness to battle the big bad Mother Alien. Who's not going to cheer for that. On the other hand, I don't know if chicks showed up for that movie either.
post #45 of 96 Old 01-28-2019, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
One of the problems with that movie is that they didn't learn anything from Cameron. Scarlett's character showed very little emotional range, being mostly very bland and detached. Unlike for instance Ripley, in Aliens 2. Showing righteous anger at how she was screwed with by men, such as from the Reiser character, her intense protective nature for Root and her willingness to battle the big bad Mother Alien. Who's not going to cheer for that. On the other hand, I don't know if chicks showed up for that movie either.
"Get away from her YOU B!TCH" !

My GF had me take her to see it when she heard this line was in it. It was a rewatch for me.

Ghost had a lot of issues besides having the central character take on the same persona as she did in "Lucy".

The skin-tight body suit alone was worth the price of my ticket.
shivaji, Mikazaru and tenthplanet like this.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #46 of 96 Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 2163
There's an early screening Monday the 11th in Dolby Cinema 3D at participating theaters.

https://twitter.com/DolbyCinema/stat...95135696064517
tenthplanet likes this.
post #47 of 96 Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Thumbs up Alita has great range

Quote:
One of the problems with that movie is that they didn't learn anything from Cameron. Scarlett's character showed very little emotional range, being mostly very bland and detached.

I post this because of the passion this reviewer has for Alita. For this movie to be successful you must believe that she is a fellow human. They have accomplished this in spades.

I, like this gentleman, want the movie to do well so there can be more of Alita’s story told on the big screen.
Mikazaru and tenthplanet like this.

"Death, where is thy sting"

Gelda “Know what is hidden…the dragon”

Alita “I know who my enemy is”
post #48 of 96 Old 02-13-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Saw this yesterday at the AMC Fan Event, and I was quite impressed. Comes close to the original manga material, covers maybe two or three volumes of the original series, and the action scenes pack a nice wallop. Regardless of how it fares at the box office, there is potential for a follow-up.

post #49 of 96 Old 02-13-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineWalker View Post
Saw this yesterday at the AMC Fan Event, and I was quite impressed. Comes close to the original manga material, covers maybe two or three volumes of the original series, and the action scenes pack a nice wallop. Regardless of how it fares at the box office, there is potential for a follow-up.
You might find this interesting..https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...-while-filming
Robert Rodriguez Treated Alita: Battle Angel As The Lost James Cameron Movie While Filming
Mikazaru and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #50 of 96 Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Seeing this at my local Alamo this Friday and I can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tenthplanet likes this.
post #51 of 96 Old 02-14-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Well I'll be. Went to see Alita last night and I walked away pretty much blown away. I was nervous how one of my all time favorite stories was going to be treated, but by golly they did it. They actually did it.

Since it just came out, I'll keep it spoiler free, but I'll just say IGNORE THE FILM CRITIC REVIEWS! Only compromise it made was turning down the gore-levels, but aside from that? Outfreakingstanding! I want to go back to the theater for a repeat viewing. That's rare. I'm still giddy in excitement a day later.
post #52 of 96 Old 02-15-2019, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Yeah this movie was pretty damn good! Check it out if you are a fan of this Manga!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tenthplanet, Montucky and Jonas2 like this.
post #53 of 96 Old 02-16-2019, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 7344 Post(s)
Liked: 6408
Saw it yesterday at local shoe box sized theatre and loved it. Glad that they decided to err on the side of corniness and emotion. Had a lump in my throat from the moment Alita woke up. Felt like a Cameron movie even though he didn't direct. Did a good job sticking to the plot of the anime. Seeing it again with the local Los Angeles home theatre group tomorrow; this time in IMAX 3D w/ laser projection and 12-track immersive audio.
chirpie, Mikazaru and Jonas2 like this.

Sanjay
post #54 of 96 Old 02-16-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also saw Alita last night and I loved it. I saw it the newest theater in my area in Dolby Atmos. It was a really well done movie and I plan to see it again this weekend. It's nice to have something different than the standard formulaic movies that are so popular now. Go see this instead of Capt Marvel
Mikazaru and Jonas2 like this.
post #55 of 96 Old 02-16-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Very good to know yo guys are coming away positive with this. Gotta get it on the radar for next weekend, cross fingers....
sdurani and tenthplanet like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #56 of 96 Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Back in the early 1990’s I read the comics. I used to draw Alita on my parent’s sidewalk with pastels. Bought the anime on VHS in 1995 and again on dvd in 1999. So it was kind of weird to go to the movies last night and watch the 200 million dollar version on the big screen. Even with already knowing the plot inside and out, (And yeah, the plot is super condensed from the comic...) I have to admit... I kinda liked it.

Saw it at a Dolby theater and it was one of the better spectacle films I've seen in a while. Like others said, there's some corniness to it, but it mostly came off as refreshingly old-fashioned. Maybe I've hit my tipping point for snark and winking to the audience in action and comic book movies as of late so it was nice to see none of that here.

As for the mood of the film? Even with the PG-13 rating, they were able to get away with a fair bit. Not sure if geysers of blood would've done a lot to improve the film one way or another beyond the violence they already showed.

Biggest issue for the film is a very open ending that really begs for a sequel, and unless it does crazy good in week over week word of mouth along with great hauls in China and Japan, we probably won't get that sequel.

I want the sequel, if, for no other reason, that Alita herself is really likable. (That, and we might get a few more motorball scenes. ^_^ )

Last edited by chirpie; 02-17-2019 at 03:15 PM.
post #57 of 96 Old 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7190 Post(s)
Liked: 16327
Saw this last night at an Ultrascreen DLX in Dolby Atmos (my closest IMAX closed down last month🙁). Let me start by saying I went in with kinda low expectations and came out thoroughly entertained. It’s a fun ride. The 3D is fantastic. And the chase and motorball scenes were fast and wild. This should look and sound great when it comes out in UHD HDR.
Mikazaru, tenthplanet and Ben23 like this.

post #58 of 96 Old 02-18-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Glad to see that the sentiments are pretty much unanimous on this one! I just hope the movie starts picking up more steam at the box office so we have a shot at getting the sequels! Personally, I'm planning on seeing it again, but this time in Imax (or similar) 3D and also definitely plan on buying it when it comes out on 4K Blu-Ray. Saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse the first time, which is always a super enjoyable experience, but I want to see the film even bigger and louder now.
post #59 of 96 Old 02-19-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I loved it too. Saw it at IMAX 3D and it was definitely worth it. The last quarter of the movie could have been done better, but overall, it still lived up to my expectations. Looking forward to the UHD blu-ray (actually might have to double dip on the 3D BD too, if there isn't an all-inclusive version).
tenthplanet likes this.
post #60 of 96 Old 02-22-2019, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Just saw this and omg wow. I was blown away. Def must watch in 3D. Saw it in Dolby cinema and atmos and bass was insane. Can’t wIt for the blu ray. Def worth seeing. Feel like watching imax to compare it to Dolby.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC12 Plus-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page