Mortal Engines (2018) Peter Jackson Novel film adaptation - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 02-05-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3150 Post(s)
Liked: 4946
I kind of dug this movie, it did not suck any worse than any of the cape stuff we are getting drowned in but I also understand why it wasn't received well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 02-05-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I kind of dug this movie, it did not suck any worse than any of the cape stuff we are getting drowned in but I also understand why it wasn't received well.
I've got a copy on pre-order on 4K UHD.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #33 of 37 Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6319 Post(s)
Liked: 6978
Finally watched this on BD in my theater last night. It was pretty much what I expected. Lots of amazing eye candy and a terrific sound mix. Really, a masterpiece of technical film-making. This is a huge movie. All 9 figures of its cost were all up there on the screen and pouring out of the loudspeakers in big, booming bursts. An AVS gearhead's dream.

The world they built! Oh my. The attention to detail is remarkable. I don't know who won the Oscar for production design last month but it damn well should have been this movie. Every scene is a breathtaking example of a fully imagined steampunk world.

The plot is mundane, the writing pedestrian, and the narrative is entirely predictable. Rolling "traction cities", gobbling up other smaller traction cities for their resources 1700 years from now in what the author called "Municipal Darwinism"? Really? I kind of want to read the book(s) now, because the whole concept is just so batpoop crazy I want to know more.

This movie is primo eye-candy baby. That's what I wanted, and that's what I got! Viva Peter Jackson and viva New Zealand! The second time in a month that small island nation has made me very happy.
tenthplanet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7245 Post(s)
Liked: 16468
Watched this last night too. Although it was only the lowly 1080p BD it still looked and sounded fantastic. I can only imagine what the HDR disc looks like. :jawdrop: Now for my pithy review; I enjoyed the movie and was entertained.
tenthplanet likes this.

post #35 of 37 Old 11-10-2019, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
I watched this last night...after hearing so many awful reviews I was pleasantly surprised...it's pretty OK...not great or amazing but I was entertained throughout...the characters were mostly under-developed but it wasn't a terrible movie...I didn't see the 4K/DV version but I hear it's reference quality gorgeous...I'm still not going to buy it on 4K Blu-ray though...I love me some reference quality picture but I also need the movie to be one I can re-watch and enjoy over and over
post #36 of 37 Old 11-10-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I watched this last night...after hearing so many awful reviews I was pleasantly surprised...it's pretty OK...not great or amazing but I was entertained throughout...the characters were mostly under-developed but it wasn't a terrible movie...I didn't see the 4K/DV version but I hear it's reference quality gorgeous...I'm still not going to buy it on 4K Blu-ray though...I love me some reference quality picture but I also need the movie to be one I can re-watch and enjoy over and over
I think the future of these types of movies is going be TV series from Amazon, HBO, and other premium networks. To get everything properly developed into one film may be crunching things down too much.

Some past films have made it to series, Watchman, His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass), New LOTR series to come, Westworld. With what films cost now The Hobbit would have been one film, and the original LOTR trilogy might have been not been made at all.

I have a copy of Mortal Engines I'll re-watch it for you.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #37 of 37 Old 11-10-2019, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I think the future of these types of movies is going be TV series from Amazon, HBO, and other premium networks. To get everything properly developed into one film may be crunching things down too much.

Some past films have made it to series, Watchman, His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass), New LOTR series to come, Westworld. With what films cost now The Hobbit would have been one film, and the original LOTR trilogy might have been not been made at all.

I have a copy of Mortal Engines I'll re-watch it for you.
I do give the writers credit for making this a complete movie and not trying to end it on a cliffhanger or leave a bunch of questions unanswered...Alita: Battle Angel felt incomplete because it was obvious the writers/director already were planning for a sequel which now may never get made...Mortal Engines is a series of 4 books and they made the right decision to not plan ahead until they knew for sure that the 1st movie was a success
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page