A Quiet Place (2018) Emily Blunt / John Krasinski - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 3 Post By MrGrey
  • 4 Post By puddy77
  • 2 Post By gwsat
  • 2 Post By daryl zero
  • 1 Post By CruelInventions
  • 2 Post By darthrsg
  • 2 Post By CruelInventions
  • 1 Post By srw1000
  • 1 Post By SteveCallas
  • 1 Post By KOA

post #1 of 29 Old 02-05-2018, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 6491
A Quiet Place (2018) Emily Blunt / John Krasinski

IMDB
6 April 2018 (USA)
A family lives an isolated existence in utter silence,
for fear of an unknown threat that follows and attacks at any sound.

Great reviews so far. UPDATED TRAILER ABOVE

gwsat, Tack and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

Last edited by MrGrey; 04-12-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-05-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
I just got back from seeing this in Dolby Cinema. It was shot on film and looks nice and natural, but nothing exceptional. The sound, on the other hand, is superb. Because sound is integral to the plot, the sound design is exceptional. There's lots of silence and stillness, but every sound you do hear is deliberate and important. I highly recommend you see/hear this in a Dolby Cinema or another theater with Atmos.

I must say it's one of the most intense experiences I've had at the theater in quite some time. I grew up on horror films, so I have a thick callus and very rarely get scared nowadays. This does have a few really good jump scares. But the intensity comes from caring about the characters and wanting to see them survive. There's a palpable sense of danger from the outset and it never lets up. Even the most simple things are fraught with danger. Unfortunately, there's a lot more complex things they have to deal with in this movie. Emily Blunt is truly outstanding here. The movie is short and gets directly to the point; all meat and no fat. Even the final shot and the final sound are filled with meaning that leaves you wanting more, in a good way.
Tack, MrGrey, MarshallW and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
I just got back from seeing this in Dolby Cinema. It was shot on film and looks nice and natural, but nothing exceptional. The sound, on the other hand, is superb. Because sound is integral to the plot, the sound design is exceptional. There's lots of silence and stillness, but every sound you do hear is deliberate and important. I highly recommend you see/hear this in a Dolby Cinema or another theater with Atmos.

I must say it's one of the most intense experiences I've had at the theater in quite some time. I grew up on horror films, so I have a thick callus and very rarely get scared nowadays. This does have a few really good jump scares. But the intensity comes from caring about the characters and wanting to see them survive. There's a palpable sense of danger from the outset and it never lets up. Even the most simple things are fraught with danger. Unfortunately, there's a lot more complex things they have to deal with in this movie. Emily Blunt is truly outstanding here. The movie is short and gets directly to the point; all meat and no fat. Even the final shot and the final sound are filled with meaning that leaves you wanting more, in a good way.
Just saw it and agree with Puddy 100%. 90min was just right for the intensely palpable storyline.

I think, therefore I am single.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 04-07-2018, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
I'm convinced. I really want to see A Quiet Place too. It looks good and it's hard to go wrong with any film starring Emily Blunt.
Tack and RUR like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #5 of 29 Old 04-08-2018, 12:55 PM

I saw A Quiet Place in a local cineplex earlier today and loved it. The film's overall palette is quite dark so it doesn't really provide much visual eye candy. Some of the "Monster Moments" are startling, though. The audio was terrific, with chair shaking LFE at critical moments. Best of all, it is a wonderful creepy thriller. 9 Stars out of 10. I have already preordered the UHD HDR version from the Kaleidescape store. No release date has been announced,, however.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #6 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 1761
I saw the movie with son and wife tonight. I thought it was a nicely done horror movie. I have a lot of quibbles about some things but if you put actual reason aside, it is a nicely contained movie and intelligently done for the most part. Way too many jump scares using stupid movie tricks like using loud noises and stuff but I guess that's something most people like given all of those pseudo-scary movies just filled with jump scares rather than real horror. I'd give it a B or B+ for the genre it was in. Certainly worth the time and expense.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I saw the movie with son and wife tonight. I thought it was a nicely done horror movie. I have a lot of quibbles about some things but if you put actual reason aside, it is a nicely contained movie and intelligently done for the most part. Way too many jump scares using stupid movie tricks like using loud noises and stuff but I guess that's something most people like given all of those pseudo-scary movies just filled with jump scares rather than real horror. I'd give it a B or B+ for the genre it was in. Certainly worth the time and expense.
Although you liked it a lot too, I gave A Quiet Place somewhat higher marks than you did, 9 Stars out of 10. Nevertheless, I agree with you that the film is somewhat generic. That's why I didn't give it quite as high a rating, 10 Stars out of 10, as I gave a film that has become one of my all time favorite horror films, Get Out. Get Out. is utterly original and I have lost track of the number of times I have watched it. I should add that the luminous Emily Blunt elevates everything she is in and her performance in A Quiet Place was no exception.

post #8 of 29 Old 04-12-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Although you liked it a lot too, I gave A Quiet Place somewhat higher marks than you did, 9 Stars out of 10. Nevertheless, I agree with you that the film is somewhat generic. That's why I didn't give it quite as high a rating, 10 Stars out of 10, as I gave a film that has become one of my all time favorite horror films, Get Out. Get Out. is utterly original and I have lost track of the number of times I have watched it. I should add that the luminous Emily Blunt elevates everything she is in and her performance in A Quiet Place was no exception.
All of that's true but here are some of the issues I have with the movie:

Spoiler!
gwsat and KOA like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.

Last edited by daryl zero; 04-12-2018 at 04:17 PM.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-14-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Didn't read this thread for fear it may reveal more than I want but, for those who have seen it, since there is little to (no?) dialogue, was your fellow moviegoer noises all the more distracting? You know, candy-wrapper opening, popcorn chomping, etc. Or was the soundtrack filling the volume gap for that lack of dialogue so that the theater experience was not much different than with any other movie?
post #10 of 29 Old 04-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Didn't read this thread for fear it may reveal more than I want but, for those who have seen it, since there is little to (no?) dialogue, was your fellow moviegoer noises all the more distracting? You know, candy-wrapper opening, popcorn chomping, etc. Or was the soundtrack filling the volume gap for that lack of dialogue so that the theater experience was not much different than with any other movie?
I saw A Quiet Place the Saturday it opened and the rather large audience who saw the same showing were remarkably quiet and well behaved. I heard no candy wrappers crackling or popcorn crunching, and didn't see a single lighted phone screen. Everybody seemed to be caught up in the quietness of the film and to take extra care to be quiet themselves.

post #11 of 29 Old 04-14-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice, gwsat. Occasionally humanity doesn't disappoint.
gwsat likes this.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-14-2018, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4711 Post(s)
Liked: 6294
That's it, I'm moving to OK. Sit towards the back, and the theaters here look like navy signal lamp training. I swear these cell phones are like Heroin to these people.

post #13 of 29 Old 04-14-2018, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Occasionally humanity doesn't disappoint.
I envy you. You must be living in a better world than I.
post #14 of 29 Old 04-15-2018, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I saw A Quiet Place the Saturday it opened and the rather large audience who saw the same showing were remarkably quiet and well behaved. I heard no candy wrappers crackling or popcorn crunching, and didn't see a single lighted phone screen. Everybody seemed to be caught up in the quietness of the film and to take extra care to be quiet themselves.
Like Gwsat, I also live in the center of the country (Kansas). Simple courtesy between strangers is a common trait here that I sometimes take for granted. It has been years since I have been distracted in a movie theater.
I am going to try to catch A Quiet Place at the new Dolby Vision w/ Atmos theater in town, and I am looking forward to experiencing the full force of state of the art Atmos silence.

Endowed from birth with the sweet gift of being easy to please
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool - than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt
post #15 of 29 Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallW View Post
Like Gwsat, I also live in the center of the country (Kansas). Simple courtesy between strangers is a common trait here that I sometimes take for granted. It has been years since I have been distracted in a movie theater
In can be bad around here too. Several years ago when I still lived in OKC, a woman sitting next to me in a crowded theater wouldn't stop texting, even after I called her on it. I only got her to stop after I told her that if she didn't, I would get the manager to talk to her. Arrogance is where we find it. In more recent times, it seems to me that cell phone etiquette has become a lot better. I suspect that's mostly because these days theaters run very clear messages telling patrons to STAY OFF OF THEIR PHONES.

post #16 of 29 Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3046 Post(s)
Liked: 4691
None of what's mentioned here on the movie is really wrong regarding it as a creature feature. It's a top notch one. My takeaways were more archetypal.

Spoiler!
Tack and gwsat like this.
post #17 of 29 Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyberlogy View Post
I envy you. You must be living in a better world than I.
I said, "occasionally". Not really that high of a standard to be impressed by.

Sounds like you're in a really dark place!
gwsat and Tack like this.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-21-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 920
I think this was a good movie but the story doesn't really stand up and some of the family's actions seem quite far fetched.

However it has great world building and for a movie with almost no dialog it works surprisingly well. Jim Halpert has certainly come a long way from playing jello pranks
post #19 of 29 Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 311
My only problem with this excellent film was the creature. Why does everything have to look like a relative of Alien? I think too much of it was shown and the ending lent itself to some awful low rent sequels that I hope don't happen.

Matt
post #20 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
My only problem with this excellent film was the creature. Why does everything have to look like a relative of Alien?
Huh? I thought it looks a lot like Venom.
post #21 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 4711 Post(s)
Liked: 6294
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
None of what's mentioned here on the movie is really wrong regarding it as a creature feature. It's a top notch one. My takeaways were more archetypal.

Spoiler!
"Zero hand holding" is right. Here we are now, it's obvious what happened, get on with it. It's appreciated. It's easy to shoot holes in films like this so I won't. Only question I had, and it's really not a question, more of a wondering
Spoiler!

Really enjoyable, I haven't been that continually tense for a long time.
post #22 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyberlogy View Post
Huh? I thought it looks a lot like Venom.
Actually thats my point.The creature in such a well put together and wonderfully acted film should look like nothing anyone has ever seen before.I think thats where the film lost its punch.When I finally saw the creature up close it took the edge off.Fans of this kind of film have seen the lizard like things so much that there is no visceral reaction.

Matt
post #23 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Actually thats my point.The creature in such a well put together and wonderfully acted film should look like nothing anyone has ever seen before.I think thats where the film lost its punch.When I finally saw the creature up close it took the edge off.Fans of this kind of film have seen the lizard like things so much that there is no visceral reaction.
No matter what they did somebody on the internet would say it looked like ________, I actually think the creature nailed it and took from some unseen force to in your face.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #24 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
All of that's true but here are some of the issues I have with the movie:

Spoiler!
Can't answer for all of them, but
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
"Zero hand holding" is right. Here we are now, it's obvious what happened, get on with it. It's appreciated. It's easy to shoot holes in films like this so I won't. Only question I had, and it's really not a question, more of a wondering
Spoiler!
There was a headline on one of the newspapers that said
Spoiler!

My wife had a really good question thought.
Spoiler!

The movie was still well-done, and certainly suspenseful enough to recommend. And the bass is fantastic!

Scott
Tack likes this.

post #25 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Watched it this weekend and really enjoyed it, reminded me of The Road several times. I could easily overlook some of the poor logic choices made by characters because the film builds tension so well from scene to scene and doesnt let you dwell on things.
MarshallW likes this.
post #26 of 29 Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 AM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 172

Spoiler!
shivaji likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 07-16-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Another thing:
Spoiler!
For fun in that world, lighting some small firecrackers to draw them near the sound, then a lit stick of dynamite with a delayed fuse for once they arrive, could be a nice sport.
post #28 of 29 Old 07-16-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

Spoiler!
The nail was in an odd place to begin with. No one builds stair that way.
Anything bigger? For example,
Spoiler!
That's a critical part of the action. What's up with that?

Despite those, it was still entertaining movie.
post #29 of 29 Old 07-16-2018, 04:29 PM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Another thing:
Spoiler!
For fun in that world, lighting some small firecrackers to draw them near the sound, then a lit stick of dynamite with a delayed fuse for once they arrive, could be a nice sport.
So many ways to mess with the aliens.

I was hoping Paul Marcarelli, buffed out, shirtless, Rambo style, with an M60 and crisscrossing ammo belts would have made an appearance. I’m sure he could of thought of something to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page