• 1 Post By CruelInventions
  • 1 Post By See The Light

post #1 of 26 Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Whats your favourite song in the 70s by Aerosmith??

Mine is either Walk this way (The version they did @ thier concert in 1978 NOT THE ONE ON THIER ALBUM IN 1975!!) or ROUND AND ROUND (1975)

I just listenend to my Aerosmith cassette (Toys in the attic (Which I hadnt listenend to in awhile)) and when ROUND AND ROUND came on it just blew everything else on that tape away!!

What do you like the best in the 70s from them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-29-2018, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I would have to go with something like Sweet Emotion (cliched a choice as that is), Walk This Way, or Last Child I guess. I also always liked their remake of one of the old girl group classics, but I'm completely blanking out on what that was.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #3 of 26 Old 03-30-2018, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Draw The Line. Not many people can or could ever sign like that.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-30-2018, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked: 6524
I always liked "Combination" off of Rocks. That crunchy scratchy riff and purposeful beat hooks me every time. They were really good with the harmonies too. Too bad they became unrecognizable as "Aerosmith" later. They got paid at least. I guess.

Spoiler!
post #5 of 26 Old 03-30-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I would have to go with something like Sweet Emotion (cliched a choice as that is), Walk This Way, or Last Child I guess. I also always liked their remake of one of the old girl group classics, but I'm completely blanking out on what that was.

Spoiler!
Squirrel! likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-30-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Dream On and Seasons of Wither.
SmittyJS likes this.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-30-2018, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack
I always liked "Combination" off of Rocks. That crunchy scratchy riff and purposeful beat hooks me every time. They were really good with the harmonies too. Too bad they became unrecognizable as "Aerosmith" later. They got paid at least. I guess.

Yes after thier 1978 concert they just go straight to crap and its sad.........
post #8 of 26 Old 03-30-2018, 11:16 AM

I listened to Last Child last night after posting this, for the first time in a really long time. That is so good. It's a perfect example of one of the great things about 70s hard rock. It could be stupidly heavy, but still have some groove and funk to it.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #9 of 26 Old 03-30-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 634
While "Permanent Vacation", "Pump", and "Get A Grip" were the Aerosmith discs I grew up with, I'm also quite fond of all the 70's stuff! I got into my dad's "Box Of Fire" set and found all those greats.

I think "Dream On" was the first track I played when I got my Seaton SubM (and I promptly blew the tweeter on my Paradigm Studio 60s trying to get them to keep up with that new sweet, sweet, bass, lol).

"Same Old Song And Dance" is also a favorite; that would've been cued up next had a lot of cussing not ensued, lol.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hehe alot of cussing??

Ah man!! (I guess I understand)

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
There are many that I like, but Dream On remains my favorite.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-02-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I'll 2nd Combination. I think Rocks is on the pantheon of hard rock albums. Rats in the Cellar, Back in the Saddle, Last Child etc.. just a deep, heavy collection of great riffs, rhythms and harmonies. I don't really care for the pop rock Aerosmith that followed after Ruts. But, Toys and Rocks are killer albums with some other gems from the surrounding albums. They really dumbed down the drums, bass and guitar interplay and focused on vocal hooklines and catchy pop riffs in the late 80s/90s. They never captured that raw, dark, grungy ambience that permeated Rocks again. Mostly just overproduced, well polished turds.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-02-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 512
I am sooo burned out on Aerosmith anymore. Use to love 'em. Favorite song? Hands down:

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #14 of 26 Old 04-02-2018, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmoore View Post
Draw The Line. Not many people can or could ever sign like that.
Same here. Great song. It's so cliched/cheese to talk about how good some band's early stuff is but this is a good example.

jeff
post #15 of 26 Old 04-03-2018, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
I am sooo burned out on Aerosmith anymore. Use to love 'em. Favorite song? Hands down:

I love that concert they did in 1978 thats on VHS Squirrel (And DVD also I think) .. They really kick!!
Squirrel! likes this.
post #16 of 26 Old 04-14-2018, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2urpAl081kY
Definitely on the short list. And the studio version for sure, which uses a different guitarist. Perry's playing live here is pretty mediocre by comparison.

Hope I'm not bursting anyone's bubble btw, and everyone's well aware of this by now. If not, here are the details:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players...a-rollin-solos

PS: Agree that there later stuff was just dreck. Even Janie's Got a Gun I had no use for. That song and album was the turning point, wasn't it? That's when they got back in the limelight and on the hit-making "train" again (see what I did there?? ). But it was mostly piffle from that point on.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Definitely on the short list. And the studio version for sure, which uses a different guitarist. Perry's playing live here is pretty mediocre by comparison.

Hope I'm not bursting anyone's bubble btw, and everyone's well aware of this by now. If not, here are the details:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players...a-rollin-solos

PS: Agree that there later stuff was just dreck. Even Janie's Got a Gun I had no use for. That song and album was the turning point, wasn't it? That's when they got back in the limelight and on the hit-making "train" again (see what I did there?? ). But it was mostly piffle from that point on.

It happens. Even Jimmy Page couldn't really handle "Hot Dog" and good luck in concert.

Aerosmith never got out of the seventies for me. Had nothing to do with the "they got popular" syndrome. Nothing they did post Draw the Line got much of a pulse out of me.

Same thing with U2 post WAR, Elvis Costello post Trust, and RHCP post Mothers Milk. I wanted all of them to become successful, but the music just changed. RHCP in particular broke my damn heart. I could see it coming with the others. I saw RHCP more than any other band back in the day. After Mothers Milk I was like "Holy Shnike, these guys are going to be the best evar" Blood Sugar Sex Majik shows up and I was done. I tried, it just didn't work.

It's OK though, I got all the originals (TBH the first few don't really hold up but Mothers Milk could have been pressed yesterday) and the memories.

Sorry for all the rambling, I'm co-posting with a certain Mr. Jameson.

Spoiler!
post #18 of 26 Old 04-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
post #19 of 26 Old 04-15-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Lord of the Thighs , Seasons of Wither = and many others.

1st gen (drugs & booze) AEROSMITH KICKS ASS !
2nd gen (clean & sober) while good in its own right, did nothing for me.

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
post #20 of 26 Old 04-15-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
It happens. Even Jimmy Page couldn't really handle "Hot Dog" and good luck in concert.

Aerosmith never got out of the seventies for me. Had nothing to do with the "they got popular" syndrome. Nothing they did post Draw the Line got much of a pulse out of me.

Same thing with U2 post WAR, Elvis Costello post Trust, and RHCP post Mothers Milk. I wanted all of them to become successful, but the music just changed. RHCP in particular broke my damn heart. I could see it coming with the others. I saw RHCP more than any other band back in the day. After Mothers Milk I was like "Holy Shnike, these guys are going to be the best evar" Blood Sugar Sex Majik shows up and I was done. I tried, it just didn't work.

It's OK though, I got all the originals (TBH the first few don't really hold up but Mothers Milk could have been pressed yesterday) and the memories.

Sorry for all the rambling, I'm co-posting with a certain Mr. Jameson.

Spoiler!
Wow, you're a tough crowd. So I guess you're not one of those fans willing or interested in growing along with the artist? Or was it just those artists that you hit a brick wall with?

With U2, I was with them to somewhere around Achtung Baby. Thereafter, it always seemed like they struggled with what to do next. Lacking in creative inspiration, resulting in retread music or trying too hard music.

I stayed with Elvis Costello a while longer, but then he lost me somewhere around Spike, I guess. Imperial Bedroom is still probably my favorite (I used to be able to recite the lyrics of that album from beginning to end). But there were still enough moments of greatness on the next few albums too.

Sometimes I think it doesn't have all that much to do with the artist or what they are presently doing, but instead, you've just reached a point where you've gotten your fill of them. You still value their music up to the point where you decide to jump ship, but then you're just ready to move on to other music.
Tack likes this.
post #21 of 26 Old 04-15-2018, 04:28 PM

For U2, "The Joshua Tree" and "Actung, Baby" are among the pillars of popular music released during my adult life. Joshua Tree in particular is just an epic album. The gotcha is that both those albums come from a place of complete sincerity and lack of cynicism. It's almost impossible for those traits to survive mega-stardom. It seems to me their view of life and the world became more cynical and more ironic, and their music reflected that.

It's got to be a weird situation. A lot of artists, who never can quite get their heads around the disparity between the adulation from the outside and the doubt and sometimes self-loathing on the inside (which was often the source of great, introspective, confessional work), become very self destructive. I think that maybe U2 just armored themselves with irony against that cognitive dissonance.

For me I'm mostly a sincerity and emotion guy when it comes to music, and the mixture of soul/gospel and rock is a powerful combination to me. So those two albums from their uber-sincere phase really speak to me. And the live album that came out shortly after that has some pretty epic performances on it.

Of course they eventually got so popular that inevitably a new generation of kids by default had to hate them, just because of who they are.

Aerosmith I mostly lost contact with after those initial great albums. Not purposefully so, but it just happened. I do find it interesting how a band like them has ultimately had so much influence generations later. "Sweet Emotion" seems to have entered the canon at some point in particular, and of course Run DMC brought them to a new rap oriented generation in the 80s and that sort of stuck as well.

Then I look at a mostly contemporary band to Aerosmith, like, say, The Police, where were enormously popular and critically acclaimed and loved by musicians, and how little of their influence has made it through to today. You still get folks who grew up on them and now make movies, getting their songs into movies now and again. But I don't hear many young folks, or the previous generation of artists they grew up on, really referencing The Police all that much.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #22 of 26 Old 04-15-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
So I guess you're not one of those fans willing or interested in growing along with the artist?

you've just reached a point where you've gotten your fill of them. You still value their music up to the point where you decide to jump ship.
sometimes. i like when METALLICA did the live orchestra metal thing. but AREOSMITH went PC/pop = not my style.

even then, i am burnt out on AEROSMITHs more popular old skool tunes. same for many bands. i listen to the radio a lot, and they just beat to death many songs. most radio programers don't seem to know there are more than 1-2 good tunes on an album.

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
post #23 of 26 Old 04-15-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Wow, you're a tough crowd. So I guess you're not one of those fans willing or interested in growing along with the artist? Or was it just those artists that you hit a brick wall with?

With U2, I was with them to somewhere around Achtung Baby. Thereafter, it always seemed like they struggled with what to do next. Lacking in creative inspiration, resulting in retread music or trying too hard music.

I stayed with Elvis Costello a while longer, but then he lost me somewhere around Spike, I guess. Imperial Bedroom is still probably my favorite (I used to be able to recite the lyrics of that album from beginning to end). But there were still enough moments of greatness on the next few albums too.

Sometimes I think it doesn't have all that much to do with the artist or what they are presently doing, but instead, you've just reached a point where you've gotten your fill of them. You still value their music up to the point where you decide to jump ship, but then you're just ready to move on to other music.
Some good questions. I thought about the first one for a while. My first instinct was to say "of course I'm willing to grow with the artist". But I think the truth is that I'm not. I know what I like, and I like what I like, and I'm not going to waste any time "adjusting" for the sake of history with an artist. I will say that I did try with all of them. There have been way too many albums (is that still a thing?) that took a few listening tos' and went from Meh to All Time. I forgot about Joshua Tree, that was good, but they lost me at Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby.

I also forgot about Imperial Bedroom, Beyond Belief is one of my all time favorites, but a lot of those songs from that period were older songs that he already had in his arsenal. I don't have them anymore, but I bought a couple bootleg tapes of EC at Beatlemania in like '78. Quite a few of the songs on those tapes showed up on much later albums. The guy was a writing machine. Also way under rated as a vocalist. Listen hard to "My Funny Valentine". Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
For U2, "The Joshua Tree" and "Actung, Baby" are among the pillars of popular music released during my adult life. Joshua Tree in particular is just an epic album. The gotcha is that both those albums come from a place of complete sincerity and lack of cynicism. It's almost impossible for those traits to survive mega-stardom. It seems to me their view of life and the world became more cynical and more ironic, and their music reflected that.

It's got to be a weird situation. A lot of artists, who never can quite get their heads around the disparity between the adulation from the outside and the doubt and sometimes self-loathing on the inside (which was often the source of great, introspective, confessional work), become very self destructive. I think that maybe U2 just armored themselves with irony against that cognitive dissonance.

For me I'm mostly a sincerity and emotion guy when it comes to music, and the mixture of soul/gospel and rock is a powerful combination to me. So those two albums from their uber-sincere phase really speak to me. And the live album that came out shortly after that has some pretty epic performances on it.

Of course they eventually got so popular that inevitably a new generation of kids by default had to hate them, just because of who they are.

Aerosmith I mostly lost contact with after those initial great albums. Not purposefully so, but it just happened. I do find it interesting how a band like them has ultimately had so much influence generations later. "Sweet Emotion" seems to have entered the canon at some point in particular, and of course Run DMC brought them to a new rap oriented generation in the 80s and that sort of stuck as well.

Then I look at a mostly contemporary band to Aerosmith, like, say, The Police, where were enormously popular and critically acclaimed and loved by musicians, and how little of their influence has made it through to today. You still get folks who grew up on them and now make movies, getting their songs into movies now and again. But I don't hear many young folks, or the previous generation of artists they grew up on, really referencing The Police all that much.
We have different tastes in music, I've known that for a while. But what you say here mirrors my thoughts. These artists start out with nothing, and their compositions reflect the kind of true honesty that goes along with that. I used to listen to October when I jogged. Those songs (Gloria in particular) could bring me to tears and make me endure the last couple miles. Such power. I can't say that about the later stuff. As good as it could be it just wasn't as "raw". They were singing about different things. It just didn't move me.

Elvis C obviously had major problems getting girls to take him seriously. That led to IMO some of the greatest songwriting ever. Those kind of problems have a way of going away with some fame and fortune. I thinks the spark went away at the same time. It would with me.

Sorry for continuing with the massive off topic. Say the word Dude111 and we'll zip it. But I got a feelin' the Dude is takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-16-2018, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7245 Post(s)
Liked: 16468
As my wife always says to me, "Wabo, whip out your big ten inch...
Spoiler!

post #25 of 26 Old 11-26-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Here's a non-radio hit to spice up the Aerosmith action:

Tack likes this.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #26 of 26 Old 11-30-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 512
"Seasons of Wither" and "What It Takes".

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page