First Man (2018) Ryan Gosling | A look at the life of the astronaut Neil Armstrong - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #1 of 56 Old 06-09-2018, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 6541
First Man (2018) Ryan Gosling | A look at the life of the astronaut Neil Armstrong

IMDB
12 October 2018 (USA)
A look at the life of the astronaut, Neil Armstrong, and the legendary
space mission that led him to become the first man to walk on the Moon on July 20, 1969.

Sound Mix : Dolby Atmos

Negative Format : 16 mm, 35 mm, 65 mm (horizontal)

Aspect Ratio : 1.43 : 1 (some scenes - 70mm IMAX)
1.90 : 1 (some scenes - digital IMAX)
2.39 : 1

Cinematographic Process : Dolby Vision, IMAX, Super 16, Techniscope (2-perf)

asere and shivaji like this.

Last edited by MrGrey; 06-09-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 06-11-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I adore this preview and cannot wait to see this with my boys.

David Forbes

My theater
post #3 of 56 Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
I do not want to ruin the party but to me it seems like most important thing for mankind was first man in space Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin , with after that first man on the moon being less important. Von Braun was a great salesman. He told the us people all sort of fantastic stories to get his rockets financed. He even had JFK in his pocket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 08-29-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
post #5 of 56 Old 09-02-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
I do not want to ruin the party but to me it seems like most important thing for mankind was first man in space
It seems most people don't agree with you.
gwsat likes this.
post #6 of 56 Old 09-02-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
It seems most people don't agree with you.
Regardless of what everybody believes the first time mankind goes into space is a huge deal. Once you have done that going to the moon is just the next step.
post #7 of 56 Old 09-03-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Looks good, but controversy stirred up by Buzz Aldrin about omitting flag scene:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ican-flag.html

post #8 of 56 Old 09-08-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Regardless of what everybody believes the first time mankind goes into space is a huge deal. Once you have done that going to the moon is just the next step.

Bull****.

The Soviet Union had developed their ICBMs to a point that was necessary to counter the massive US air force. It was a smart move and due to them getting in late miniaturizing the atomic weapons they had to build bigger more powerful rockets to deliver the warheads. They did this masterfully but placing a passenger (their own description) in what was a modified spy sphere was not anything like the leap in technology, in so many areas, required to get clear out to the moon safely and more impressively accurately. The soviets found out the hard way how much they underestimated the US will when they lost multiple massive N1 rockets trying to get a Saturn V equivalent to work.

I thank the Russians every day for beating us into space with the first man , this was the straw that broke the camels back and released massive funding needed to get us to the moon.

No doubt Von Braun convinced America to do it he had been working on the thought since he was a very young man. Colliers and Disney helped him convince America that such a feat was not only possible but practical ...he was right all the way down the line.

The moon landing was the greatest technological achievement in the history of mankind ,the men who went deserve our thanks.

When I met Buzz Aldrin a couple of years back I almost forgot my tiny prepared speech. If you haven't watched Moon Machines and more fun Moon Shot do so.

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 09-08-2018 at 07:44 PM.
post #9 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Bull****.

The Soviet Union had developed their ICBMs to a point that was necessary to counter the massive US air force. It was a smart move and due to them getting in late miniaturizing the atomic weapons they had to build bigger more powerful rockets to deliver the warheads. They did this masterfully but placing a passenger (their own description) in what was a modified spy sphere was not anything like the leap in technology, in so many areas, required to get clear out to the moon safely and more impressively accurately. The soviets found out the hard way how much they underestimated the US will when they lost multiple massive N1 rockets trying to get a Saturn V equivalent to work.

I thank the Russians every day for beating us into space with the first man , this was the straw that broke the camels back and released massive funding needed to get us to the moon.

No doubt Von Braun convinced America to do it he had been working on the thought since he was a very young man. Colliers and Disney helped him convince America that such a feat was not only possible but practical ...he was right all the way down the line.

The moon landing was the greatest technological achievement in the history of mankind ,the men who went deserve our thanks.

When I met Buzz Aldrin a couple of years back I almost forgot my tiny prepared speech. If you haven't watched Moon Machines and more fun Moon Shot do so.

Just because moonlanding was biggest technological achievement ever and the biggest show ever does not make it by definition more important than the first time a human was actually in space...

..von Braun and all those scientists he brought with him were prisoners of war..they were nazi criminals. They surrendered to the USA because there was a bigger chance they would get there plans funded..building rockets..going into space..landing on planets..They came to the USA with a agenda which was to empty american pockets...and von Braun had JFK in his pocket. Thank von Braun...
post #10 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Thank von Braun...
No, thank the crashed UFO because that's where von Braun learned the tech from.
Gorilla Killa and Tack like this.
post #11 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Looks good, but controversy stirred up by Buzz Aldrin about omitting flag scene:

I won't be watching. I respect the flag.
thehun and inspector like this.
post #12 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

Americans freak out about everything expect real life, country and history changing problems. i find it hilarious and so stupid. i just hope they don't start to burn down theaters showing the movie or burn the copies they will purchase in the future. i hope they give us a 4K Digital intermediate with it being shot on film and already looking so great in the first trailer.
post #13 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
Just because moonlanding was biggest technological achievement ever and the biggest show ever does not make it by definition more important than the first time a human was actually in space...

..von Braun and all those scientists he brought with him were prisoners of war..they were nazi criminals. They surrendered to the USA because there was a bigger chance they would get there plans funded..building rockets..going into space..landing on planets..They came to the USA with a agenda which was to empty american pockets...and von Braun had JFK in his pocket. Thank von Braun...
You don't think the USSR came up with those rockets on their own do you? They had the same if not better access to the Nazi tech than the USA did, they just didn't get "the man". Sure Yuri was "first" (actually it was Ilyushin, but they didn't like how that one ended) but Shepard went less than a month later, AND didn't have to punch out at 20k feet to get home. (which the Soviets failed to tell anyone for four months)

Couple years later we were regularly getting to space in a plane. Landing too. Bonus!

A miracle Yuri survived that. I'd wager that the USA could've been first if we had such disregard for the astronaut's life. "Yeah man, when you see more earth than sky, just jump out. Let us know how that works out". The Soviets were cowboys.
thehun, shivaji and Cam Man like this.
post #14 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:

The moon landing was in fact a bigger deal on every front. Of course it was a show ,we all already know that ; it was designed to show that capitalism and democracy were better than communism to the world and the whole reason Kennedy chose to do it. Kennedy had no real interest in space flight. Kennedy had his vice president ask Von Braun what could we beat the Soviets at in space that would be impressive. The only answer was the moon landing or Mars. Since the real quantum leap wasn't lofting hardware into earth orbit but a more distant expensive and technologically challenging feat, one that required so much more that it would level the field in a hurry.

So the Russians and Americans got the Nazi scientists ,all history ,all well known and documented . Both countries saw the weapons they could build and design so we chose to take advantage of that.

Sergei Korolev was brilliant but he used an ICBM and early returnable spy satellite to make a capsule to loft a man less than one complete orbit. Significant yes, but not touching the moon landing just can't do it.

This is not to take away from what Gagarin did he was a hero or the Soviet engineers but both countries had the capability to orbit a craft at about the same time just that America saw no reason to spend a lot of money or effort on it at the time. The kick in the pants was Sputnik then Vostok 1
RVonse and Cam Man like this.
post #15 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
Americans freak out about everything expect real life, country and history changing problems. i find it hilarious and so stupid. i just hope they don't start to burn down theaters showing the movie or burn the copies they will purchase in the future. i hope they give us a 4K Digital intermediate with it being shot on film and already looking so great in the first trailer.

So true, strange time ,strange time.

Art
post #16 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
You don't think the USSR came up with those rockets on their own do you? They had the same if not better access to the Nazi tech than the USA did, they just didn't get "the man". Sure Yuri was "first" (actually it was Ilyushin, but they didn't like how that one ended) but Shepard went less than a month later, AND didn't have to punch out at 20k feet to get home. (which the Soviets failed to tell anyone for four months)
Got a article on the subject., the V2 is central in it..

V2: the nazi rocket that launched the space age.

There had been smaller rockets built in the 1930s but this was far bigger with a greater range,
“The V2 was a quantum leap of technological change.”

Not surprisingly, when the war ended, the Americans, Soviets and British scrambled to get their hands on V2 technology. With no desire to work for Stalin, Von Braun made a shrewd decision to surrender to the Americans, while the Russians got their hands on the V2 factory and test range.

“Both the Americans and Soviets took the V2s to bits to decipher their workings,” . “The Soviets completely recreated a V2 and the Americans took them over to America to launch and carry out some of the first upper atmosphere experiments.”

However, the US knew that it wasn’t the hardware that was as important as the men behind it. And they had Von Braun. Although the military’s priority was to develop intercontinental ballistic missiles, the German engineer now had the opportunity to pursue his dreams of spaceflight.

Even today, the fundamental technology of launchers remains the same as it did 70 years ago. The engine looks similar, rockets still use gyroscopic guidance and most are powered by liquid fuel. All pioneered in the V2.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014...ace-age-rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack
Couple years later we were regularly getting to space in a plane. Landing too. Bonus!

A miracle Yuri survived that. I'd wager that the USA could've been first if we had such disregard for the astronaut's life. "Yeah man, when you see more earth than sky, just jump out. Let us know how that works out". The Soviets were cowboys.
Tack likes this.

Last edited by 8mile13; 09-09-2018 at 05:16 PM.
post #17 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Am I looking at a picture of Kirk Douglas, Judd Aptow and Raquel Welch?
dan4081 likes this.
post #18 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
No. The americans were first and took most important stuff and most of the crew including the top surrendered to the USA. Jackpot here
? The Russians got something like 1400 engineers from Germany. They had a working V2 as soon as '46. The Russian offer included staying in Germany, a big deal. (of course, like everything else in that country, it was a lie)

Plus Korolev was a match for Von Braun. I'd call it a tie, at least until we started to outspend the hell out of them.
8mile13 likes this.
post #19 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The moon landing was in fact a bigger deal on every front. Of course it was a show ,we all already know that ; it was designed to show that capitalism and democracy were better than communism to the world and the whole reason Kennedy chose to do it. Kennedy had no real interest in space flight. Kennedy had his vice president ask Von Braun what could we beat the Soviets at in space that would be impressive. The only answer was the moon landing or Mars. Since the real quantum leap wasn't lofting hardware into earth orbit but a more distant expensive and technologically challenging feat, one that required so much more that it would level the field in a hurry.

So the Russians and Americans got the Nazi scientists ,all history ,all well known and documented . Both countries saw the weapons they could build and design so we chose to take advantage of that.

Sergei Korolev was brilliant but he used an ICBM and early returnable spy satellite to make a capsule to loft a man less than one complete orbit. Significant yes, but not touching the moon landing just can't do it.

This is not to take away from what Gagarin did he was a hero or the Soviet engineers but both countries had the capability to orbit a craft at about the same time just that America saw no reason to spend a lot of money or effort on it at the time. The kick in the pants was Sputnik then Vostok 1

JFK at the end of his life was worried about costs and was looking into a allience with the russians so they would carry part of the financial weight, space race was at that point not that important any more..shows that he was talked into going to the moon without fully understand what that meant financially.
post #20 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
? The Russians got something like 1400 engineers from Germany. They had a working V2 as soon as '46. The Russian offer included staying in Germany, a big deal. (of course, like everything else in that country, it was a lie)

Plus Korolev was a match for Von Braun. I'd call it a tie, at least until we started to outspend the hell out of them.
I reworked that post..When you look at the importance of the V2..looking at the part ''Even today, the fundamental technology of launchers remains the same as it did 70 years ago. The engine looks similar, rockets still use gyroscopic guidance and most are powered by liquid fuel. All pioneered in the V2.'' which was build by team von Braun with von Braun surrendering to the USA the americans got the better deal with having the brains behind the V2..also von Braun had the energy and intelligence to talk americans into spending huge amounts of money.

Last edited by 8mile13; 09-09-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #21 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I reworked that post..When you look at the importance of the V2..looking at the part ''Even today, the fundamental technology of launchers remains the same as it did 70 years ago. The engine looks similar, rockets still use gyroscopic guidance and most are powered by liquid fuel. All pioneered in the V2.'' which was build by team von Braun with von Braun surrendering to the USA the americans got the better deal with having the brains behind the V2..also von Braun had the energy and intelligence to talk americans into spending huge amounts of money.
Either way, everyone is lucky Hitler didn't wait three years (and was a terrible military leader). Jets, rockets, nukes. It would have been over before it started.
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #22 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 06:23 PM

What I think is so interesting about the period is how the Soviets engineered so many things and so elegantly but frequently so differently from the US. Korolev was certainly a match for Von Braun , the system failed him not the other way around. Once it became a race and the economy and will (read committed technicians,engineers and tax payers) of the American people kicked in it went south for Russia.. Just as Von Braun predicted to win a space race the United States had to set the terms of the race.. the moon and it had to be such a leap that both countries would have to almost start from scratch. We were fortunate that the F1 had been in the design phase from the late 50s thus once the money became available we suddenly had all the power we needed.

Von Braun all along wanted a sustained space program and it to follow what became known as the Von Braun doctrine. This was an artificial unmanned satellite, a capsule with specimens, a manned orbital flight, a space station as a jumping off point, a circumlunar flight, a lunar landing and the a Mars landing. This required massive facilities and infrastructure but when Kennedy asked to beat the Soviets at something he literally had to lower his sights compared to the relative programs he envisioned with Colliers and Disney .Von Braun wanted the earth orbit rendezvous technique to be just a start to the massive building in space This was abandoned when it became apparent that a minimalistic landing (to beat the Russians ) could be accomplished sooner with lunar orbit rendezvous technique. Unfortunately this was a dead end as we have seen for almost 50 years now.
post #23 of 56 Old 09-09-2018, 09:04 PM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I grew up in Florida during the early days. Many early launches the rockets would be destroyed. We would watch them explode in the sky from our backyard. Later, high school classmate's parents had astronauts over for home cooked meals. My Dad worked for NASA at the Cape. Nothing special, just supply. Ran into the original astronauts occasionally. I still have quite a bit of NASA paraphernalia from those days. Autographed photos, etc. The coolest thing is a laminated card given to my Dad and many others with a piece of nylon webbing taken to the surface of the moon.

In Florida, we went from building bomb shelters in our back yards in the early sixties to landing men on the moon less than seven years later. Cool.
post #24 of 56 Old 09-11-2018, 08:29 PM

Really good and interesting thread. Too bad we're already off topic. I need you guys around IRL. Searched around and found this -

"The Rest of the Rocket Scientists. Some went west. This is the story of the ones who went east."

Penned by a Russian native in 2003.

https://www.airspacemag.com/space/th...376617/?page=1
post #25 of 56 Old 09-12-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Really good and interesting thread. Too bad we're already off topic.
When someone says to me that the moon landing wasn't a big deal that's going to happen.

Art
RobertR and mhutchins like this.
post #26 of 56 Old 09-12-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
When someone says to me that the moon landing wasn't a big deal that's going to happen.

Art
Roger that.
shivaji likes this.
post #27 of 56 Old 09-23-2018, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:

Art
I have a sneaking suspicion that the "meh, the moon landing wasn't such a big deal" talk would have never materialized if it had been the Russians who got there first.
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #28 of 56 Old 09-23-2018, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 578
If you are really interested in this subject "This New Ocean" is a good book. Nowhere as light and entertaining as "A Man on the Moon" because it digs in a lot deeper, but it's very good and covers a lot of the early history of space travel, long before it was feasible.

Ultimately, no one cared about conquering space but geeks like us (the ones watching and the ones doing.) To everyone else it was a means to some other end. As soon as we won the moon, public interest and political backing dried up fast. Mostly it was an exercise in nationalism on both sides.

But, clearly the first person to step on another celestial body is the big deal. Yes, going into space was a big achievement. But, ultimately it mostly required a souped up ICBM and a lot of testicular fortitude. I definitely give credit on the latter bit to the guys who rode those early birds. It was a bit of a crap shoot. And the technology was laughably primitive. Going to the moon was about meeting many milestones and building systems and developing new (slightly less laughably primitive) technology.

And those guys who went to the moon had to have even more testicular fortitude. The guys in low earth orbit were not that far from safety. As long as nothing blew up, and there were not complete failures of multiple systems they could get the ship headed back down. The guys who went to the moon were rolling the dice considerably more. They did have backup systems of course (as 13 proved), but still. We are talking 250,000 miles away vs. closer to 250 miles away.

I mean a measure of the achievement can be seen when you realize that now, almost 50 years later, those guys are still the only ones to have gone. They still have gone further from the earth by three orders of magnitude that any other humans. And no one is likely to break that record (though hopefully some will match it) for some time yet, until we take a manned run at Mars. I can't think of any other area where a few handfuls of people have held such a massive record for such a long time.
RVonse, Art Sonneborn and Cam Man like this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #29 of 56 Old 09-24-2018, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Give me these things in the future UHD release and I'll be a happy man!
it would be a shame for those beautiful film shots to
be downscaled into a 2K blow up
IMDB
✔️Native 4K Digital Intermediate
✔️Dolby Vision
✔️Atmos
dan4081 likes this.
post #30 of 56 Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
I saw this tonight in Liemax. I enjoyed it. But the aesthetics of the cinematography may not live up to everyone's expectations. It's basically a handheld, very shaky, 16mm documentary style film. I would say closeups of faces make up the majority of the runtime. And the closeups are in 16mm. 35mm is used sparingly for establishing shots and exteriors. And the 65mm IMAX film portions make up maybe 5 minutes on the moon at the end. The aspect ratio did expand to 1:9 for those few minutes. Honestly, this movie does not seem well suited to an IMAX screen. I'd think it may play better on a smaller screen. I may check it out again in Dolby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page