Star Wars: Episode IX (2019) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #31 of 143 Old 04-13-2019, 05:43 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I will shamelessly watch it in the theater unless RT tells me not to.
J_P_A likes this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 143 Old 04-13-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7232 Post(s)
Liked: 16444
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Well blow me down and pick me up. Look the force dragged in. How the heck ya been, man?

post #33 of 143 Old 04-13-2019, 08:44 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Well blow me down and pick me up. Look the force dragged in. How the heck ya been, man?
Drinking and saving the world without recognition. Same 'ol same 'ol. You know how it is.
tenthplanet and J_P_A like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 143 Old 04-15-2019, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked: 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
George Lucas should be ashamed of himself for selling off Lucas Films to Disney and letting Star Wars go down in flames.
Right, George Lucas, that infallible creative genius who had a flawless track record of always doing the right thing with his Star Wars movies.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jar-jar.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	2553302  

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #35 of 143 Old 04-19-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
George Lucas should be ashamed of himself for selling off Lucas Films to Disney and letting Star Wars go down in flames.
You mean he should be ashamed for taking a $4 billion pay day? Uh yeah, I don't think you would pass that up, so why should he be ashamed he didn't pass it up.
shivaji and tenthplanet like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #36 of 143 Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 3531
Quote:
RT comes from the dark side of the force, embrace it not.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #37 of 143 Old 04-20-2019, 05:53 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
RT comes from the dark side of the force, embrace it not.
My time and money comes from the light. Typically RT is right on for my tastes. It will at least tell me if I should spend on a night out or wait to rent (exception being TLJ, ironically).

Stephen.

post #38 of 143 Old 04-20-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My time and money comes from the light. Typically RT is right on for my tastes. It will at least tell me if I should spend on a night out or wait to rent (exception being TLJ, ironically).
Well this guy might agree with you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inQsQZP.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2556226  
sb1 likes this.

post #39 of 143 Old 04-20-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
My colonoscopy was trending 97% fresh on RT. Hope you enjoyed it. Although I've yet to see any royalties.
tenthplanet and sb1 like this.

post #40 of 143 Old 04-20-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Right, George Lucas, that infallible creative genius who had a flawless track record of always doing the right thing with his Star Wars movies.

It's the Lucas Film universe, we just (sorta) live in it.

post #41 of 143 Old 04-20-2019, 08:26 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
My colonoscopy was trending 97% fresh on RT. Hope you enjoyed it. Although I've yet to see any royalties.
If you're waiting for monetary compensation for a public colonoscopy, you might get....royally screwed. Get it?? A play on "royalty" with regards to compensation and the fact that a colonoscopy involves the rectum? Royally screwed? That's good sh*t. Hah!...I did it again with the sh*t comment! Flying high in the land of linguistic mastery, I am.

*read my sig.

Stephen.

post #42 of 143 Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
If you're waiting for monetary compensation for a public colonoscopy, you might get....royally screwed. Get it?? A play on "royalty" with regards to compensation and the fact that a colonoscopy involves the rectum? Royally screwed? That's good sh*t. Hah!...I did it again with the sh*t comment! Flying high in the land of linguistic mastery, I am.

*read my sig.
You're flying high above Uranus, you word spinster, you.

tenthplanet likes this.

post #43 of 143 Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 123
After seeing Phantom Menace TWICE in the first 12 hours it was out, and after going through my initial grieving process (which was not insignificant for a guy with a prominent Rebel Alliance tattoo), I go in with low expectations and I call it a win if there’s anything I like. My super-edit of TLJ is quite enjoyable.

I leave you with my second mini-production as I prepare to apply for the 501st Legion:

post #44 of 143 Old 04-26-2019, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The first two films of the Sequel trilogy were quite a dissapointment. Especially, that the leading villain, Kylo Ren is such a wuss. It is just sad to watch him on screen. I do not have high expectations towards the ultimate one. Rogue One was by far the best out of all newly released Star Wars franchise films.

Last edited by daniel peterson; 04-29-2019 at 12:37 AM.
post #45 of 143 Old 04-28-2019, 10:18 AM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

*read my sig.
And... That sig says what you were doing before your colonoscopy. You did it again.
sb1 likes this.
post #46 of 143 Old 04-28-2019, 05:18 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel peterson View Post
Last two films of the Sequel trilogy were quite a dissapointment. Especially, that the leading villain, Kylo Ren is such a wuss. It is just sad to watch him on screen.
He seems to be acting like current people his age (in the film).

Stephen.

post #47 of 143 Old 04-29-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
He seems to be acting like current people his age (in the film).
I assume, you are reffering to Daisy Ridley as Rey, John Boyega as Finn and Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron. I am very sad to agree with your words. Their acting is absolutely dreadful. Even Chewbacca seems to be making a better job. The thing is that I had high expectation for the main villain.

Maybe I am sentimental when I watch the original trilogy and therefore cannot be objective, but the acting skills in the past seemed to be far better comparing to ST VII and VIII.
post #48 of 143 Old 04-29-2019, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3139 Post(s)
Liked: 4928
I'm waiting for the rotten people I know vs the rotten tomatoes to tell me it's worth a trip to see.
post #49 of 143 Old 05-03-2019, 07:43 AM

@darthrsg , I think we can already predict how it is going to look like. It is rather up to how sentimental towards the whole franchise you are.

Last edited by daniel peterson; 05-03-2019 at 07:47 AM.
post #50 of 143 Old 05-15-2019, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
@darthrsg , I think we can already predict how it is going to look like. It is rather up to how sentimental towards the whole franchise you are.
hahaha, you are the master of jokes
daniel peterson likes this.
post #51 of 143 Old 07-04-2019, 01:20 AM

@WilliamHartnel ,
I'd like to see myself this way. But I truly hope the next Star Wars will not be a complete joke. In the latest interview Daisy Ridley, who plays Rey says that 'Genre-wise, Star Wars IX will be much different from the other two. It is supposed to be much more emotional, which is not a very good recommendation from her side.' Emotions in film are an absolute necessity, I agree, I just hope it will not turn into a Brazilian Telenovela with light sabers.

Last edited by daniel peterson; 07-04-2019 at 01:25 AM.
post #52 of 143 Old 07-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
The first two films of the Sequel trilogy were quite a dissapointment. Especially, that the leading villain, Kylo Ren is such a wuss. It is just sad to watch him on screen. I do not have high expectations towards the ultimate one. Rogue One was by far the best out of all newly released Star Wars franchise films.

Like many a major fan of Lucas's original trilogy. Loved all of them as a kid, each for different reasons. Best trilogy I have ever seen. The only Star Wars universe films I consider to be worth it are the said original trilogy, the 2nd prequel and Rogue One. The rest of them should be lit up with gasoline. No fan of JJ either, at all, nor Disney. I find it fascinating that in 1977 Lucas blew the world away. The next time I saw that happen was in 1999 with the Matrix. (the sequels were stinkers). And since I haven't seen anything that I would walk out of the theater and say "Holy S!". Now the current trend is grown men in tights playing SuperHos. BR2049 and Interstellar were both truly phenomenal in their own rights. I watched BR2049 twice in the theater so it came within reach of the Matrix. I was amazed and not when it didn't do box office records. Like its' predecessor....throw some intelligent story making into the mix and the sheep don't flock. They want it dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. I'm waiting for Quigley down Under goes to space with JJ directing, with multiple time lines with Quigley back in America in one time line, and another with him being a sniper in Space protecting the minorities. The writing today is just too heavy influenced and dependent on instagoogletwatface.
post #53 of 143 Old 07-10-2019, 04:02 AM

@TommyDeVito , it is hard to disagree with your statement. Apart from a few films, the quality of the content of the big productions gradually decreases over time. The creativity goes down in inverse proportion to special effects. Interstellar is a perfect counterbalance to this sad trend. On top of it, I would add films such as Inception, Shattered Island, The Shawshank Redemption, The Pursuit of Happiness, The Truman Show. There is quite a few of them, but last couple of years one can identify less and less demand for the food for thought kind of films. I look forward to watching more intellectually stimulating movies.
post #54 of 143 Old 07-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
@TommyDeVito , it is hard to disagree with your statement. Apart from a few films, the quality of the content of the big productions gradually decreases over time. The creativity goes down in inverse proportion to special effects. Interstellar is a perfect counterbalance to this sad trend. On top of it, I would add films such as Inception, Shattered Island, The Shawshank Redemption, The Pursuit of Happiness, The Truman Show. There is quite a few of them, but last couple of years one can identify less and less demand for the food for thought kind of films. I look forward to watching more intellectually stimulating movies.

For many years I have found the truly intelligent film making, original stories, etc, in the independent sphere. The big budget blockbuster type films used to be ET, or something, that hit on both marks. Good story, great direction, just a well put together film. That formula has been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator these days. It's like they intentionally dumb everything down. I was astonished at BR2049. Wasn't Matrix blown away but it was an incredible film. Then I read it suffered in US box office receipts. That told me all I needed to know. It's just a different time. Back in the day social media applications weren't a thing, neither was a smartphone nor all the useless apps that are designed to just waste your time. When society at large is focused on me, me, me and can't put down the self absorption down for 2 hours to escape, well you have the explanation of the problem. It's people. Take Close Encounters as an example. IMO, if this came out today it would have bombed.

There are saving graces today, even though they are few. Paul Thomas Anderson, the mentioned Christopher Nolan, Marty (looking forward to the Irishman), Tarantino, James Gray. Someone needs to get a clue in Hollywood, to hire premium directors for things such as Star Wars. The problem with that is the truly great directors want artistic control and Disney won't let that happen. The franchise has been ruined by Kennedy, the antifa or SJW agenda (whatever you choose on that sliding pendulum), and the control over the content. Disney isn't going to let some artistic and creative director come in and run things. These films are run from corporate and the director has to do what the studio tells them to do. Any director with some salt isn't going to go for that. I've watched several Kubrick films lately as I feel he is the GOAT, and even though the films are dated they stand the test of time and they are what they are because he had utter and complete control of the art he was making. That's almost impossible for any director to do in 2019. As a film buff, I'm forced to wait for pre-Oscar time of the year when all the truly excellent films release. December and January, and they are mostly indie type films.

Star Wars rebooting has been the biggest disappointment in all my years of watching and studying film. A vast universe with so much possibility. Subject matter has barely even been tapped and Disney fubar'd it. Meanwhile the entire world is heroin like addicted to men in tights. It's looking like big budget blockbuster stuff is going to be the studios releasing every single Superho character even colored in a comic. Riddick (the second film of that franchise is underrated to me), Neo, new inventive space films or technological films in the future with new unique characters are shot. Instead we get reboots of Terminator, Predator, Star Wars, and an ever increasing catalog of Superhos. Someone needs to come up with some new material, some great writing/script and hire a solid director and right this ship. But if the sheep keep lining up for dumb downed regurgitation it won't change. Customers have to demand better product and I'm in the minority.
post #55 of 143 Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Maybe this conversation belongs on r/iamverysmart

Seriously though Star Wars is for children. It always has been and it always will be. Most of the fans were kids when it first came out but for some reason they expect the new movies to be made for adult sensibilities.

The only ones with a hint of anything philosophical were the prequels. Other than that these movies are not that deep.

And if you are looking for "smart" movies you should probably ignore anything that tops the box office, just as a general rule. Those two things rarely go together.
noob00224 likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #56 of 143 Old 07-30-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5134 Post(s)
Liked: 4582
Darth Sidious/Palpatine's return has got me really hyped for this...hopefully it's not just a cameo/flashback/dream/vision and he's back for real and is the major villain in this...if Darth Maul can survive being cut in half then anything's possible (plus use Ian McDiarmid while he's still healthy)...might actually make up for the horrible movie that was Last Jedi...they should have had the Sith as the main villains in Force Awakens and not just tacked on at the very end of the trilogy
post #57 of 143 Old 07-30-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 537
I hope Disney doesn't cop out and makes the internet salty boys even more salty than they did with The Last Jedi.

post #58 of 143 Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 625
I’m definitely worried at this point that the sole purpose of this movie appears to be a response to fan complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #59 of 143 Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked: 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I’m definitely worried at this point that the sole purpose of this movie appears to be a response to fan complaints.
Yeah, and I don't see how bringing back dead characters for even more fan-service retreading of the old movies is somehow supposed to be an improvement.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #60 of 143 Old 08-04-2019, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3139 Post(s)
Liked: 4928
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna be a weird one for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page