Star Wars: Episode IX (2019) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #61 of 143 Old 08-24-2019, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 6541
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 143 Old 08-26-2019, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 60
post #63 of 143 Old 08-26-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpartyboy View Post

Will see.. won’t hold my breath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
darthrsg likes this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 143 Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Rise of Skywalker looks pretty impressive visually...the end shot of Ray with the red double-bladed lightsaber is obviously misdirection...trying to get people to think she turned to the Dark Side...no way would they give that away in a trailer...
post #65 of 143 Old 08-26-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Rise of Skywalker looks pretty impressive visually...the end shot of Ray with the red double-bladed lightsaber is obviously misdirection...trying to get people to think she turned to the Dark Side...no way would they give that away in a trailer...
Unless Rey was somehow the first to properly balance the light and dark side of the force.
post #66 of 143 Old 08-26-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 625
I’m consistently annoyed with how JJ abrams likes to play games with my expectations.

That being said I’m interested.

Also how curious is is that they chose to show the montage 4,5,6,1,2,3,7,8,9? And R1 and solo got snubbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #67 of 143 Old 08-26-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Maybe because those two films aren't part of the Episode series of the Star Wars saga.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #68 of 143 Old 08-26-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)

Quote:
Maybe because those two films aren't part of the Episode series of the Star Wars saga.

But they are. They don’t feature sky walkers but those two movies are woven into the fabric of the sky walker story.

But I guess to carry that argument out all the way they didn’t include clone wars, rebels, resistance, the comics, books, video games so the more I think about it the more I’m okay with the omission.

post #69 of 143 Old 08-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 499
This looks really dumb. Sad to say but I don't care about this franchise anymore.
Franin likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #70 of 143 Old 08-26-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Will see.. won’t hold my breath

Indeed. Ol' JJ has ten Olympics worth of gymnastics to get through to bail this out.

In other news The Mandalorian....
d-rail34 likes this.
post #71 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Indeed. Ol' JJ has ten Olympics worth of gymnastics to get through to bail this out.

In other news The Mandalorian....

I’m hoping JJ can repair the disaster of the last one but I’m looking forward to the Mandalorian

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #72 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
don't care about this franchise anymore.

Same.

God Bless!
post #73 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:

Yeah that will be more like a vision, they will need to save her from turning to the dark side.

God Bless!
post #74 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Yeah that will be more like a vision, they will need to save her from turning to the dark side
either a vision or maybe a Rey clone created by Emperor Palpatine...if you look at that shot of Rey with the red saber closely her face looks different...she looks older and something just looks different compared to light-side Rey
post #75 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 06:18 AM

Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)

Quote:
either a vision or maybe a Rey clone created by Emperor Palpatine...if you look at that shot of Rey with the red saber closely her face looks different...she looks older and something just looks different compared to light-side Rey

Will have a look again.

Just saw it, not sure but you could be right.

God Bless!
post #76 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Same.

Then why post at all? I don’t understand people who insist on dwelling on things that they either actively dislike or are disappointed by.

Go find something else that makes you happy and stop complaining in public areas where people who actually like the thing are gathering.

I’m sorry for being so direct but I honestly don’t get it. Go live a life that makes you happy.

post #77 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Then why post at all? I don’t understand people who insist on dwelling on things that they either actively dislike or are disappointed by.

Go find something else that makes you happy and stop complaining in public areas where people who actually like the thing are gathering.

I’m sorry for being so direct but I honestly don’t get it. Go live a life that makes you happy.

Because I can.

darthrsg and sb1 like this.

God Bless!
post #78 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sb1 and Franin like this.
post #79 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 951
TLJ is beyond terrible. I know many people think its not that bad and has redeeming qualities but once you start adding it all up there's no excuse at all. Its just full of stupidity whether its the writing, forced comedy, total disregard and wilful destruction of all that SW had achieved.

I mean how the hell do you excuse a pointless character like Rose, put in just to appease the Chinese audience. Or how she 'saves' Finn (who has nothing to do in the entire film and is finally doing something worthwhile) thus condemning rebels to certain death, because she 'fell in love' after meeting him 5s ago and decides his life is more important than everyone else. And of course its not like they'd survive anyway.

Rogue One is the only really good film in the new era, and Solo is pretty decent. TFA can *maybe* be excused as it restarted the franchise but its just a shot by shot remake of ANH and its still bad. TLJ is utter garbage.

just look at highest rated reviews on Imdb which say it all perfectly :-

https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4021440/?ref_=tt_urv
https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4010214/?ref_=tt_urv

there is zero chance TROS will correct any of this. JJ has a terrible track record with both the new Trek and SW reboots being insults to fans and ignoring everything about them. This is the man who said he 'never really understood Trek' and admitted he had no clue what direction to take the story in after TFA.

TROS will just be more mindless action + CGI + plot holes + ignoring the entire legacy, will make billions, and be defended by people because of that.
Franin likes this.

Last edited by Defcon; 08-27-2019 at 12:45 PM.
post #80 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Because discussion threads aren't there just for people who love the movie and fawn over it, some of us want to actually discuss it, which means pointing out flaws and constructive criticism. Unfortunately nowdays people don't really want to think or discuss anything, which is why films like these get made. Its why trailers reveal everything. People just want to see mindless action + comedy then move on to the next release. MCU perfected this formula.
post #81 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
TLJ is beyond terrible. I know many people think its not that bad and has redeeming qualities but once you start adding it all up there's no excuse at all. Its just full of stupidity whether its the writing, forced comedy, total disregard and wilful destruction of all that SW had achieved.

I mean how the hell do you excuse a pointless character like Rose, put in just to appease the Chinese audience. Or how she 'saves' Finn (who has nothing to do in the entire film and is finally doing something worthwhile) thus condemning rebels to certain death, because she 'fell in love' after meeting him 5s ago and decides his life is more important than everyone else. And of course its not like they'd survive anyway.

Rogue One is the only really good film in the new era, and Solo is pretty decent. TFA can *maybe* be excused as it restarted the franchise but its just a shot by shot remake of ANH and its still bad. TLJ is utter garbage.

just look at highest rated reviews on Imdb which say it all perfectly :-

https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4021440/?ref_=tt_urv
https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4010214/?ref_=tt_urv

there is zero chance TROS will correct any of this. JJ has a terrible track record with both the new Trek and SW reboots being insults to fans and ignoring everything about them. This is the man who said he 'never really understood Trek' and admitted he had no clue what direction to take the story in after TFA.

TROS will just be more mindless action + CGI + plot holes + ignoring the entire legacy, will make billions, and be defended by people because of that.
I wouldn't go as far as saying TFA is a shot for shot remake of ANH. It really isn't. It has similar plot beats for sure, much the same way Terminator and Terminator 2 do. Not saying it should be excused for borrowing heavily on what came before, but that's not an uncommon sin in a movie franchise.

I'm not in the camp that finds the TLJ horrible, but it's certainly not good. And although there are folks who like it, the last party I was at a table full of about a dozen SW nerds only 2 liked it. The rest was split between disappointed and downright dislike. That's a real problem for Disney as the age range here was late 20's to early 50's. So it will be interesting to see if the franchise pulls itself back on track. I'm not quite as pessimistic as you are about JJ's chances, but it will be tough after the last film.

post #82 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
That's a real problem for Disney as the age range here was late 20's to early 50's.
That's not a problem at all for Disney since the box office is driven by teenagers and children. And they are the same ones buying the toys.

As long as the movies look exciting and have lots of 'splosions they will make money.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #83 of 143 Old 08-27-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's not a problem at all for Disney since the box office is driven by teenagers and children. And they are the same ones buying the toys.

As long as the movies look exciting and have lots of 'splosions they will make money.
Exactly. Its a conscious decision to ignore the viewers who know the franchise, even those who grew up with it, and to attract a new audience by making movies that deliberately ignore the legacy and meaning. There's just enough names sprinkled in to attract the loyal crowd, but none of the thematic meaning or anything deep.

The same thing was done for Star Trek. Its no surprise that the 1st movie in both gets positive reviews and makes a lot of money, it'd be hard not to given the fan base. After that the reviews and reception becomes worse.
post #84 of 143 Old 08-28-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There are a fair amount of adult SW toy collectors. And if the adults are disenchanted and don't take their kids to see it, there will be an impact here too.

Not saying the franchise won't make money, just saying the money Disney was hoping for may not be there.

No matter how you shake it, that's a large percentage of people that should be hyped for 9 that aren't.

post #85 of 143 Old 08-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There are a fair amount of adult SW toy collectors.
You can't honestly think that this is a significant market.

Quote:
And if the adults are disenchanted and don't take their kids to see it, there will be an impact here too.
Do you have kids? Adults aren't the ones making the decisions about what to see when it comes to a movie like this.

And I wouldn't even say that any large portion of adults are "disenchanted" with anything. Its just vocal groups on the internet.

post #86 of 143 Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can't honestly think that this is a significant market.

Do you have kids? Adults aren't the ones making the decisions about what to see when it comes to a movie like this.

And I wouldn't even say that any large portion of adults are "disenchanted" with anything. Its just vocal groups on the internet.
I don't have kids, but my parents took my brother and I to Star Wars (and ESB/RotJ). I probably would have liked the movies if I had experienced them on cable later on, not sure if I would have had the same love of them though. Parents taking young kids to movies still happens.

Well my sampling of nerds has been fairly random. And most are fall into indifferent and dislike. Disney has tried to spin control the negativity into a "vocal niche" or bots. But that simply isn't the reality I've seen. No it's not the hate filled vitriol some try to say it is, but the last film definitely damaged the franchises energy with a fair amount of people. The long term impact has yet to be seen.

post #87 of 143 Old 08-29-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cmon guys. Its Star Wars - one of the *the* most valuable brands in history.

They could make a film which starts with 'a long time ago....' on a starfield, pan down, then 1hr of cat videos mixed with light sabers, have a couple of teaser trailers shown at ComicCon, and it'll still make more money than any movie not from MCU.

The mouse is not worried about money, trust me. More busy planning the endless merchandising, video games (too bad EA has an exclusive, they suck) etc.
post #88 of 143 Old 08-30-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Ha.
post #89 of 143 Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Cmon guys. Its Star Wars - one of the *the* most valuable brands in history.

They could make a film which starts with 'a long time ago....' on a starfield, pan down, then 1hr of cat videos mixed with light sabers, have a couple of teaser trailers shown at ComicCon, and it'll still make more money than any movie not from MCU.

The mouse is not worried about money, trust me. More busy planning the endless merchandising, video games (too bad EA has an exclusive, they suck) etc.
If I gave the impression that I think the franchise is doomed or that IX won't make quite a bit of money I apologize. What I'm saying is that Disney had a ton of energy and good will coming into making SW movies and some of that has been deflated due to creative choices. So it's more a question of how much impact will that have? Take Solo for instance. Most of the same nerds I talked to about TLJ really liked the film with only a couple not liking it. Yet that film didn't meet expectations. And I personally don't think it's because of the behind the scenes drama. I think it's timing of the release and that a good portion of the fanbase wasn't happy with the preceding film. IX doesn't have any issues with timing, but it may not hit the expected numbers if the fans are still not happy with the direction the franchise has taken. I'm still holding out hope that JJ and the writers make IX a decent capstone. I really hope Hamill is given a good arc, he's been great to the fans over the years.

post #90 of 143 Old 08-30-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Everyone keeps claiming how The Last Jedi was horrible. I will go out on a limb and argue that it wasn't actually a horrible movie but was perceived that way because it didn't have the "magic" or the repetitive themes of an original trilogy movie. That same perceived magic that JJ just barely recaptured with Force Awakens... and on purpose to regain fans' loyalty. However, he managed that by taking the same beats and rhythms from A New Hope with the inclusion of a serviceable soundtrack. The Last Jedi score was not on par with the epic themes of a standard Star Wars film and left you a little empty. Unfortunately, Star Wars soundtracks tend to raise the bar too high for many other movies to compete with and in this case even some Star Wars movies! With Rise of Skywalker we may not see the same beats as a past Star Wars movie but the musical score will be the re-hash of the entire saga creating the illusion of that Star Wars "magic" making people happy but not really understanding why other than thinking it's the kind of Star Wars movie they want.
Josh Z likes this.

Last edited by wookiegr; 08-30-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page