Joker (2019) |Joaquin Phoenix| Directed by Todd Phillips - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #61 of 88 Old 10-10-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
To be clear, Joker was not filmed with IMAX cameras.
Were they just showing it as 16:9 or something for the IMAX releases? Or doing some side cropping? The image was certainly not ultra-wide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 688
movie of the year, thank you.
kyzer soze and anjunadeep like this.

Processors Marantz AV8805 & miniDSP 2x4 HD Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x4 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables Wireworld,Hosa & Belden
post #63 of 88 Old 10-10-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
movie of the year, thank you.
It is for me also. I'm pretty excited for this to come out on UHD BluRay to have another watch. Early 2020 I imagine.
Balbolito likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 88 Old 10-10-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 2486
It was shot in 1:85 on the Alexa 65. ICG has a nice article on this, confirming a 5.4k extraction and a 4k finish: http://www.icgmagazine.com/web/wild-card/

Also a podcast interview with Lawrence Sher: https://gocreativeshow.com/cinematog...lawrence-sher/
Josh Z and anjunadeep like this.
post #65 of 88 Old 10-10-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4968 Post(s)
Liked: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
Were they just showing it as 16:9 or something for the IMAX releases? Or doing some side cropping? The image was certainly not ultra-wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
It was shot in 1:85 on the Alexa 65. ICG has a nice article on this, confirming a 5.4k extraction and a 4k finish: http://www.icgmagazine.com/web/wild-card/
I suspect that Todd Phillips chose 1.85:1 as the aspect ratio as part of his Taxi Driver/King of Comedy homage.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #66 of 88 Old 10-10-2019, 11:48 AM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Mass walkouts? I don't think so, it was a few loud anecdotes sensationalized to fit a narrative, which is what passes for journalism these days.
One of the reasons I stopped watching/listening to the news about six years ago. One of my best decisions.

I'll rent this movie by myself late one night when the family has gone to bed. Doesn't seem like the type of film most woman or teen girls would care anything about. For that matter I may not even like it, but I'll at least give it an honest try.
thehun likes this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #67 of 88 Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
It is for me also. I'm pretty excited for this to come out on UHD BluRay to have another watch. Early 2020 I imagine.
Feb 2020 release date
anjunadeep likes this.

Processors Marantz AV8805 & miniDSP 2x4 HD Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x4 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables Wireworld,Hosa & Belden
post #68 of 88 Old 10-10-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Great movie. Not into dark movies, but it was a refreshing change to the predictable cookie cutter movies of today. I really want to see it again. Beautiful soundtrack.
post #69 of 88 Old 10-10-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
I saw Joker today in Dolby Cinema. It's gorgeously shot (spherically on the Alexa 65 in 1.85:1 with a 4k DCP) by Lawrence Sher. The HDR doesn't do much because it's graded to look like it's shot on film in the 80's, but it's gorgeous nonetheless. The Atmos was surprisingly enveloping in very creative ways, like the buzz of overhead fluorescents or the sound of an oxygen line in a hospital room. And the score by Hildur Guðnadóttir (no, I did not spell that by memory) is luscious, with heavy strings that are reminiscent of Zimmer's Joker stuff, but only initially.

As for the movie itself, I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it. The best part is Phoenix's performance. He is fully committed to the character. But the character is just sad and pathetic. Even when fully evolved, he has none of the panache of any other iteration of the character, only the most depressing characteristics. Oh, and remember this is a one-off, alt-universe, stand-alone Joker, because the changes they make to the Batman mythos fit this version of Joker well, but would not make a good Batman reboot (well, I guess it could fit in to the nihilistic Snyder-verse). Maybe my expectations were too high, but this movie didn't really say or do anything new or interesting for Joker's origin.

I sat next to a 10 year old and his dad. Do not bring a 10 year old. This movie is incredibly dark and depressing. There are a few bits of violence that are very realistic, hard R, not comic-booky in the slightest. It's definitely not for kids in any way. Possibly for jaded teens, but they'd probably get bored with it. Honestly, I don't know who the audience is for this. It's an uncomfortable character study of a mentally ill man, and that's basically it. If the Joker persona were not overlaid, I'm not sure it would make any money at the box office. If you want an intense Joaquin Phoenix performance with much more violence, but a more interesting plot and main character, I highly recommend You Were Never Really Here.
This makes me happy. I do not want more Marvel MCU crap which is now 90% comedy. Ever since Taika Waititi took over and started influencing the entire MCU for the worse.

You Were Never Really Here is a good movie. Comic books aren't just for kids or the kid in us. They are a medium that used to tackle many serious issues. And if this movie really does try to do that its good. Not like the pseudo serious crap from Zack Snyder who doesn't know how to build a story. Lets not give him any credit or pretend he started this trend.
post #70 of 88 Old 10-11-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
This makes me happy. I do not want more Marvel MCU crap which is now 90% comedy.
Only MCU movies I have seen is Iron Man, and I think I saw Iron Man 2 (obviously wasn't that memorable). I tried a few others but couldn't make it past 15 minutes. I don't really know anyone that gets excited about them either, and since they make so much money, a lot of people MUST like them.. I guess I just don't know any. What is the demographic that is liking these? Kids? Sometimes I see in photos of the lines grown men too though? Are they just bringing their kids?
post #71 of 88 Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Only MCU movies I have seen is Iron Man, and I think I saw Iron Man 2 (obviously wasn't that memorable). I tried a few others but couldn't make it past 15 minutes. I don't really know anyone that gets excited about them either, and since they make so much money, a lot of people MUST like them.. I guess I just don't know any. What is the demographic that is liking these? Kids? Sometimes I see in photos of the lines grown men too though? Are they just bringing their kids?
Hello. My name is Ben, and I love the MCU. I'm 40 years old, recently married my long-time partner, no kids (and never will be).

From what I can tell just reading things here and in general, I think it's just that I'm a very forgiving movie fan. I like all types of movies. I can't really explain why I like things. I just try to go into something fresh, with an open mind, and let it do its thing. Just briefly on the MCU, I appreciate the world they built and how vast and interconnected it is. I think they did an amazing job casting the vast majority of the roles, especially RDJ, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, and Tom Holland. I just have a lot of fun watching them, and I don't feel guilty for it. For more detail on why I love them, see Kevin Smith's reviews. I pretty much align with his sentiments.

To illustrate that I like all types of movies, here a few movies I love and own: Everything Hitchcock has directed that can be owned on disc, Blade Runner 2049, Ninotchka, Bad Day at Black Rock, Hot Rod, To Kill a Mockingbird, Pieces....I could go on, but you get it.

But yeah, I will see Joker eventually. Likely via Redbox when it comes out. I will do my best to know as little as possible before seeing it. So far, I just know it's violent and basically about a descent (or ascent???) into madness. I hope I enjoy it, as I do any movie I watch.
sdurani, anjunadeep and Panson like this.
post #72 of 88 Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Hello. My name is Ben, and I love the MCU. I'm 40 years old, recently married my long-time partner, no kids (and never will be).
Hi Ben! To be clear I'm not knocking the people that do like it. I watch and enjoy childrens movies like Cars, Harry Potter, The Nutcracker, and House with a Clock In Its Walls. Sometimes it is nice to not have a deep drama and to not have any violence. But I'll also watch Gaspar Noe movies so, just depends on my mood I guess.
Ben23 likes this.
post #73 of 88 Old 10-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Ben! To be clear I'm not knocking the people that do like it. I watch and enjoy childrens movies like Cars, Harry Potter, The Nutcracker, and House with a Clock In Its Walls. Sometimes it is nice to not have a deep drama and to not have any violence. But I'll also watch Gaspar Noe movies so, just depends on my mood I guess.
No worries friend. Gaspar Noe...yeah, that stuff leaves a mark. I don't think I'll ever be able to get that fire extinguisher scene out of my brain. LOL
anjunadeep and Panson like this.
post #74 of 88 Old 10-11-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I was jonesin for "villain" movies 10, 12 years ago, but I've already seen The Dark Knight. I'll see this, but it'll be a rental...
::shrugs::

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #75 of 88 Old 10-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb Director's cut of "Joker"

My personal thoughts on "Joker" - good, but not great. HOWEVER....that's mostly on the producers and NOT Phillips.

I know, deep down, this thing is a cinematic masterpiece. Todd Phillips said this movie was originally 2 1/2 hours, but had
to have it trimmed WAY down for the theatrical run - which included a **** ton of important, vital content to the story.

It's ok if you're fine with the theatrical cut, but one must also show respect for those that found issues
On that note, I bring to you a petition to release the original DX of "Joker"

ANY AND ALL artistic freedom/integrity must be preserved and held sacred.

Last edited by PooperScooper; 10-12-2019 at 04:08 AM.
post #76 of 88 Old 10-12-2019, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
I have a feeling it will be released on HV as a "directors cut". WB making a a ton of money on this, so why not "milk that cow".

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #77 of 88 Old 10-13-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 7526 Post(s)
Liked: 17137

post #78 of 88 Old 10-13-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 3003
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Mass walkouts? I don't think so, it was a few loud anecdotes sensationalized to fit a narrative, which is what passes for journalism these days.
Hell, even Joaquin Phoenix did a walkout.

Orchestrated or otherwise, "bad press" is good for box office.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #79 of 88 Old 10-13-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

From what I can tell just reading things here and in general, I think it's just that I'm a very forgiving movie fan. I like all types of movies. I can't really explain why I like things. I just try to go into something fresh, with an open mind, and let it do its thing. Just briefly on the MCU, I appreciate the world they built and how vast and interconnected it is. I think they did an amazing job casting the vast majority of the roles, especially RDJ, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, and Tom Holland. I just have a lot of fun watching them, and I don't feel guilty for it. For more detail on why I love them, see Kevin Smith's reviews. I pretty much align with his sentiments.

To illustrate that I like all types of movies, here a few movies I love and own: Everything Hitchcock has directed that can be owned on disc, Blade Runner 2049, Ninotchka, Bad Day at Black Rock, Hot Rod, To Kill a Mockingbird, Pieces....I could go on, but you get it.

But yeah, I will see Joker eventually. Likely via Redbox when it comes out. I will do my best to know as little as possible before seeing it. So far, I just know it's violent and basically about a descent (or ascent???) into madness. I hope I enjoy it, as I do any movie I watch.
I'll see it, but won't rush to do so. As some mentioned, Joker overdose in all seriousness ('Why so serious?') is no good. That's not the Joker spirit.

I'm interested to see if Joaquin Phoenix incorporated tongue flicking.

Ben23 likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #80 of 88 Old 10-22-2019, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Joaquin's descent into madness is worth watching. This was good. These "serious" superhero movies are few and far between. Joker's tone was along the lines of Logan. Also reminded me of Nightcrawler (Jake Gyllenhal).
post #81 of 88 Old 10-22-2019, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Great movie! Loved the dancing! As mentioned by many, wonderful performance by Mr. Phoenix!
tenthplanet likes this.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #82 of 88 Old 12-24-2019, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 2902
Just finished seeing it and I thought it was great. (My wife was equally impressed.) IMO it lived up to the hype and it definitely lived up to my expectations. Fantastic performance by Joaquin Phoenix.
post #83 of 88 Old 01-13-2020, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Redboxed the BR over the weekend. I quite enjoyed it overall. It's based on the basic architecture set forth in the Batman universe, but it's ultimately a deep character study that is much more steeped in reality and modern politics/social commentary. Mention of a director's cut above led me to do some Googlin only to sadly find out that Todd Phillips apparently hates deleted scenes and extended cuts and has flatly stated that the movie that was released is the one and only version of Joker that will ever exist.

His stance is strange to me given how it is quite clear some things were cut from this movie, and studio execs meddling with film content is a widely known reality. I at least hope that means he is 100% happy with the movie, but I find it interesting, in this context, how long it seemed to just get all involved to agree to what would be shown in the film.

This article unpacks it a little:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/jo...ng-1202188899/

I'm not sure if I'll ever own the movie, but it is definitely worth a watch for a few reasons. Joaquin Phoenix's performance is on another level. I hope he wins the best actor Oscar, and I think it would be well deserved. Next, the shot locations, cinematography, and production design are absolutely fantastic. After seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, I felt it was sure to win cinematography and production design, and it is nominated in those categories. Strangely, and given that there are only four nominees, Joker is not nominated for production design.

The movie recreates 1981 Gotham (NYC with stuff moved around) incredibly well, and the special features delve into just how much care they took in choosing locations and crafting a very specific look based on the feeling that each location was meant to evoke. They discuss how the social programs of the city at the time were starting to break down and how the garbage collectors and other city workers were on strike, leading to even more disgusting sidewalks and thoroughfares than normal. The film is so rich in this regard, and regardless of the story or content, I'm glad I watched it for that aspect alone. It is beautifully gritty.
Tack and Panson like this.
post #84 of 88 Old 01-14-2020, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Redboxed the BR over the weekend. I quite enjoyed it overall. It's based on the basic architecture set forth in the Batman universe, but it's ultimately a deep character study that is much more steeped in reality and modern politics/social commentary. Mention of a director's cut above led me to do some Googlin only to sadly find out that Todd Phillips apparently hates deleted scenes and extended cuts and has flatly stated that the movie that was released is the one and only version of Joker that will ever exist.

His stance is strange to me given how it is quite clear some things were cut from this movie, and studio execs meddling with film content is a widely known reality. I at least hope that means he is 100% happy with the movie, but I find it interesting, in this context, how long it seemed to just get all involved to agree to what would be shown in the film.

This article unpacks it a little:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/jo...ng-1202188899/

I'm not sure if I'll ever own the movie, but it is definitely worth a watch for a few reasons. Joaquin Phoenix's performance is on another level. I hope he wins the best actor Oscar, and I think it would be well deserved. Next, the shot locations, cinematography, and production design are absolutely fantastic. After seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, I felt it was sure to win cinematography and production design, and it is nominated in those categories. Strangely, and given that there are only four nominees, Joker is not nominated for production design.

The movie recreates 1981 Gotham (NYC with stuff moved around) incredibly well, and the special features delve into just how much care they took in choosing locations and crafting a very specific look based on the feeling that each location was meant to evoke. They discuss how the social programs of the city at the time were starting to break down and how the garbage collectors and other city workers were on strike, leading to even more disgusting sidewalks and thoroughfares than normal. The film is so rich in this regard, and regardless of the story or content, I'm glad I watched it for that aspect alone. It is beautifully gritty.
Genetic, parental or other abuse, peer group influence. One or more usually define the wacko. We've had so so many case studies played out on the screen. Heath Ledger probably stretched Joker as far as I wanted. Didn't need another, not taking away from the Phoenix & Phillips collaboration.

Re "director's cut", I find Phillips' stance somewhat refreshing. There's more and more "cuts" these days. Some just aren't satisfied. And/or more disc sales are needed.
Ben23 likes this.

post #85 of 88 Old 01-15-2020, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Genetic, parental or other abuse, peer group influence. One or more usually define the wacko. We've had so so many case studies played out on the screen. Heath Ledger probably stretched Joker as far as I wanted. Didn't need another, not taking away from the Phoenix & Phillips collaboration.

Re "director's cut", I find Phillips' stance somewhat refreshing. There's more and more "cuts" these days. Some just aren't satisfied. And/or more disc sales are needed.
That's fair. Still glad I watched it.

I am definitely wary of "extended cuts" and "unrated versions" and all that, especially when attached to legitimately good films (where did those versions come from???). Director's cuts I view as a way for the director to offer up exactly what they wanted the movie to be. If it is true to that criteria, I am all for them. It doesn't necessarily mean I will like it more than the theatrical cut. I just appreciate that, perhaps, the director couldn't win a battle with other forces involved to get the movie promoted and released properly, and they took the opportunity the home video market offers to complete their "vision." Why not? I respect Todd Phillips' opinion on the matter, but if he was willing and able to craft his cut of the film, I would have liked to see it. That's all.
Panson likes this.
post #86 of 88 Old 01-19-2020, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Just watched it. Amazing cinematography, amazing score, excellent surround sound and dynamic audio, and very well acted. A very enjoyable film as a one time view, but this shouldn’t have been tied in to the Batman universe, it should have just been some stand alone whacko.

The joker is a criminal mastermind, not this guy.
Ben23 likes this.
post #87 of 88 Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Just watched it. Amazing cinematography, amazing score, excellent surround sound and dynamic audio, and very well acted. A very enjoyable film as a one time view, but this shouldn’t have been tied in to the Batman universe, it should have just been some stand alone whacko.

The joker is a criminal mastermind, not this guy.
Totally agree and that ruined it for me. You don't jump into the DC universe until you do some homework. Would have made more sense if this was a film about a mall shooter but of course it would not have raked in the bucks like it is now.
Panson likes this.

Matt
post #88 of 88 Old 01-21-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Totally agree and that ruined it for me. You don't jump into the DC universe until you do some homework. Would have made more sense if this was a film about a mall shooter but of course it would not have raked in the bucks like it is now.
"Joker couldn’t arrive at a more inappropriate time" - Rick Marshall, Digital Trends, September 27, 2019

"List of mass shootings in the United States in 2019"

Quote:
There were 434 mass shootings in 2019 that fit the inclusion criteria of this article. This averaged 1.19 mass shootings per day. In these shootings, 1,643 people were injured and 517 died, for a total of 2,160 victims.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...States_in_2019
mattg3 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page