Untitled Christopher Nolan Project (July 17, 2020) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 1 Post By Mikazaru
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By MrGrey
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 2 Post By Nexgen76
  • 2 Post By Ben23
  • 3 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By Ben23
  • 2 Post By Mikazaru
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 3 Post By Mikazaru
  • 1 Post By sdurani

post #1 of 19 Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Tenet (July 17, 2020) Directed by Christopher Nolan

Normally, I would consider it premature to start a thread on a movie without a title -- but it's Christopher Nolan, currently one of my favourite directors (tied with Dennis Villeneuve for the top spot). The movie is shrouded in mystery, but the release date has already been given and information about it is starting to come out. When a title is confirmed, maybe a mod can change it for me. One insider has described the film as a "massive, innovative, action blockbuster, which will again be shown in Imax."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...ie-1203135920/
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/e...an-1203168128/

It will star Denzel's son, John David Washington (BlacKkKlansman, Ballers), Robert Pattinson and Elizabeth Debicki (The Great Gatsby, The Man from U.N.C.L.E, Widows). It was previously revealed by ProductionWeekly that Dunkirk cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema would be reuniting with Nolan on the project.
tenthplanet likes this.

Last edited by Mikazaru; 05-23-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-20-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
Normally, I would consider it premature to start a thread on a movie without a title -- but it's Christopher Nolan, currently one of my favourite directors (tied with Dennis Villeneuve for the top spot). The movie is shrouded in mystery, but the release date has already been given and information about it is starting to come out. When a title is confirmed, maybe a mod can change it for me. One insider has described the film as a "massive, innovative, action blockbuster, which will again be shown in Imax."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...ie-1203135920/
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/e...an-1203168128/

It will star Denzel's son, John David Washington (BlacKkKlansman, Ballers), Robert Pattinson and Elizabeth Debicki (The Great Gatsby, The Man from U.N.C.L.E, Widows). It was previously revealed by ProductionWeekly that Dunkirk cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema would be reuniting with Nolan on the project.
This is less than two years out, which leads me to believe Nolan could be further along on this project then we know. Let the speculation pool begin, be prepared to lose money in it.
Mikazaru likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #3 of 19 Old 03-20-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6149
so another old and loud 5.1 mix from deaf and old Nolan who refuses to go to 7.1 or Atmos.
loud, horribly mixed, insanely clipped audio that ruins the experience is somehow OK with this madman..
he spends all this his time on the video quality of his films yet craps all over the audio, such a stupid ass decision.

dfa973 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
...it's Christopher Nolan..."massive, innovative, action blockbuster, which will again be shown in Imax."
Yawn

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #5 of 19 Old 03-21-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
so another old and loud 5.1 mix from deaf and old Nolan who refuses to go to 7.1 or Atmos.
loud, horribly mixed, insanely clipped audio that ruins the experience is somehow OK with this madman..
he spends all this his time on the video quality of his films yet craps all over the audio, such a stupid ass decision.

Nolan is a visual guy, some directors of the past were very much the same way. You want sound, Cameron is your guy.
dfa973 likes this.

post #6 of 19 Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I don't care its Nolan sign me up.....
tenthplanet and Mikazaru like this.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #7 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked: 2902
Untitled so far? He should title it "BRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM!!!!" because you know it's going to be another three hours of that.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Wow, I didn't realize Nolan was so polarizing. I'm not a huge huge fan, but I definitely dig his stuff. As with most stuff in this vein, if it's good (supported by aggregate, objective data), I'll give it a chance. Why not?
MarshallW and dfa973 like this.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Wow, I didn't realize Nolan was so polarizing. I'm not a huge huge fan, but I definitely dig his stuff. As with most stuff in this vein, if it's good (supported by aggregate, objective data), I'll give it a chance. Why not?
There were/are people who hate Hitchcock, Welles, Spielberg....Directors have always been polarizing but with the internet it's more out there and harder to avoid.
Ben23, Mikazaru and dfa973 like this.

Last edited by tenthplanet; 03-22-2019 at 10:40 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-25-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
There were/are people who hate Hitchcock, Welles, Spielberg....Directors have always been polarizing but with the internet it's more out there and harder to avoid.
Sure, universal praise is practically impossible I think. You just have to be able to clearly state your position if you invite debate. I just never really understood the need to seek out a thread like this for the sole purpose of being negative. I'm sure there are valid criticisms of any director or actor or whatever, but I think people just like being contrarian.
Mikazaru likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No big news to report, but in a recent interview Robert Pattinson revealed an interesting tidbit about the movie.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ld/3310838002/
Quote:
As an actor, the only bit of control is whether or not you're doing a movie," he says. "Working with these important directors makes you feel more secure in the choices you're making. Like, I'm doing a big movie with Christopher Nolan after this. It's the craziest thing I've seen in years. It's the length of three movies .
post #12 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked: 2902
The length of three movies? This is getting less and less appealing by the minute.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-22-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...gh-1203223474/

Quote:
Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Kenneth Branagh will appear in Christopher Nolan’s upcoming film, “Tenet,” led by John David Washington.

Clémence Poésy, Dimple Kapadia, Michael Caine are also joining the cast that includes Washington as well as Elizabeth Debicki and Robert Pattinson.

“Tenet,” which is being filmed on location across seven countries, is an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.

Nolan is directing from his own original screenplay and will use a mix of Imax and 70mm film to bring the story to the big screen.

Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas are producing the movie, while Thomas Hayslip is serving as executive producer.

Nolan’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Jennifer Lame, costume designer Jeffrey Kurland, and visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson. The score is being composed by Ludwig Göransson.
So the movie's title "Tenet" has finally been revealed. Could a mod please change the thread title accordingly, please?
Educated Idiot and sdurani like this.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 801
I like everything I've seen from Nolan so far, but have to admit his audio mixes are less than stellar....

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #15 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
I like everything I've seen from Nolan so far, but have to admit his audio mixes are less than stellar....
We'll see the fact he's not having Hans Zimmer doing the score may indicate a different sonic direction.
rezzy likes this.

post #16 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We'll see the fact he's not having Hans Zimmer doing the score may indicate a different sonic direction.
Yeah, that was unexpected and a bit of a disappointment for me. Zimmer has his fair share of detractors, but he's by far my favourite movie score composer. John Williams is awesome and has created some of the most iconic, instantly recognizable themes of all time -- but I don't have any desire to listen to them on their own. Whereas, I have purchased many Zimmer soundtracks and his collaborations with Nolan are amongst my best-loved. There are a handful of other composers who have done exceptional work that I've bought soundtracks for (Clint Mansell - The Fountain, Howard Shore - LotR trilogy, John Murphy - Sunshine), but they don't consistently impress me the way Zimmer does.

I think Hans Zimmer has a pretty full slate (Lion King, Top Gun sequel, Wonder Woman 1984 and Dune) and that could be the reason Nolan has gone with a different composer. But maybe he does just want to change things up.

If this logo is official, there could be some truth to the rumour that this movie is somehow connected to Inception. It was posted by Tenet's composer, Ludwig Göransson on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxyWxQnH20M/
Ben23, tenthplanet and Tack like this.

Last edited by Mikazaru; 05-23-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6981 Post(s)
Liked: 5965
Maze font (Nolan loves puzzles).
tenthplanet likes this.

Sanjay
post #18 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 AM

"International espionage," but I can't imagine this has anything to do with former CIA director George Tenet. Surely it's referring to just the word tenet, as in principle or belief.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Are composers responsible for mixing, as well? Nolan's films are notorious for not being mixed for home audiences. Have to ride the volume on The Prestige to catch the dialogue, then quickly bump it back down to not get blasted by its score. His Dark Knight is similar.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page