Will Avatar be Dethroned this Year? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Franin

post #1 of 16 Old 04-12-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Will Avatar be Dethroned this Year?

I know it's tough predicting box office results without actually having seen the movies in question, but there's quite a few potential blockbusters coming out this year. Obviously, the main contender is Avengers: Endgame. Avengers: Infinity War is 1 of 4 movies to ever gross over $2B worldwide. I just read an article stating that Endgame has outsold Infinity War 5:1 during its first week of presales. If the movie lives up to the hype, it has a good shot at topping Avatar's $2.788B.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is also a member of the $2B club. However, The Last Jedi was such a divisive movie, I don't know that Episode IX (despite being the finale of the trilogy) can mount a serious challenge anymore. J.J. Abrams certainly has his work cut out for him.

The first full trailer for The Lion King remake dropped recently and I thought it looked incredible. The original movie was the box office king in 1994. I'm unsure if it has a realistic shot at the record, but $2B isn't out of the question IMO.

I'm not a huge fan of Frozen, but obviously kids, especially little girls just adore it. Again, the first Frozen was the box office queen in 2013. I don't think Frozen 2 will have as much appeal to the general audience as The Lion King, but this could be offset by repeat viewings.

A potential dark horse is Pokémon: Detective Pikachu. Pokémon is the largest media franchise in the world. Depending on the quality of the movie, Detective Pikachu could be a huge hit or an absolute flop. I've never heard of the director (Rob Letterman) and had to look up his filmography (Shark Tale, Monsters vs. Aliens, Gulliver's Travels and Goosebumps). That being said, I thought the trailer looked decent.

Whether Avatar is dethroned or not, 2019 looks like a banner year at the box office.

Last edited by Mikazaru; 04-12-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-13-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked: 2037
End game should top AVATAR but isn't there going to be a sequel to Avatar soon?
Mikazaru likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #3 of 16 Old 04-13-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, Avatar 2 releases December 20, 2020. I don't necessarily agree, but I've read the criticism that "the movie made a lot of money, but it had no cultural impact" a number of times on the internet. I think James Cameron waited too long making the sequels and that might affect the box office, too. With the 20th Century Fox purchase, it's just Disney competing with itself for box office supremacy at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6946 Post(s)
Liked: 15566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
End game should top AVATAR but isn't there going to be a sequel to Avatar soon?
Think it's time to dust off this little ditty. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mo...-spoilers.html

post #5 of 16 Old 04-13-2019, 04:41 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Think it's time to dust off this little ditty. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mo...-spoilers.html
I've always loved the way you "dust things off". Makes me wish I was a younger man.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #6 of 16 Old 04-13-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Oh man that thread was 9 years ago. Make sure you remove the cobwebs as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless,
post #7 of 16 Old 04-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6946 Post(s)
Liked: 15566
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I've always loved the way you "dust things off". Makes me wish I was a younger man.
Yup, at my age dusting things off is the only way certain things ever get touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Oh man that thread was 9 years ago. Make sure you remove the cobwebs as well

Lol. I read thru all the comments. I was laughing all over again. What were we thinking?

post #8 of 16 Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Yup, at my age dusting things off is the only way certain things ever get touched.

Lol. I read thru all the comments. I was laughing all over again. What were we thinking?

I did the same lol I must of drank one too many fosters lol

God Bless,
post #9 of 16 Old 04-25-2019, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I doubt Avatar (or End Game) will be dethroned by Avatar 2. There is a noticeably lack of hype regarding this movie release, but it's Cameron so he could always surprise us.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-25-2019, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If the 3D is mind-blowing, it's possible -- but I have my doubts as well.

https://movieweb.com/avatar-2-3d-tec...james-cameron/

Quote:
From my own perspective since I'm not doing television production, I'm doing Avatar sequels, four of them. They will be, to the best of my ability, the best 3D that's possible to make. That includes collaborating with the people at Dolby Cinema, who have developed high dynamic range projection that could put 16 foot-lamberts of light on a 3D screen through the glasses, which is revolutionary. Normally, you're looking at about three foot-lamberts. Sixteen is what you should be seeing. That's what movies should look like.
One of my main complaints about 3D in theatres is that the picture is too dim with the glasses on. What James Cameron is planning sounds very promising and I hope he knocks it out of the park. The problem is there are no Dolby Cinema theatres where I live, only IMAX. If Avatar 2 is successful, hopefully there will be a resurgence in 3D televisions. It makes no sense to me that you can't buy a modern 3D TV.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-26-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Having seen the movie now, I don't think Endgame will surpass Avatar. Maybe Titanic though...
post #12 of 16 Old 04-26-2019, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The End Game relies on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in it, but the excitement will fade away after 3 weeks. It is not a revelation. It does not offer anything new to what we already know.

Also, I agree, it's taking a bit too long for Avatar 2 to be released, but I am sure it will be more successful than the End Game, which pretty much is Infinity War 2.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-21-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...-2-1203256562/

So it's official -- Endgame has dethroned Avatar as the WW box office champ. I didn't think it wouuld be able to do it (because of all the other big releases this year), but that "re-release" did the trick. Maybe Avatar will be re-released again to promote Avatar 2 and regain the crown, but I can't see anything touching Endgame's opening weekend record for the foreseeable future (the Force Awakens domestic record will fall before that does IMO).
post #14 of 16 Old 07-21-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...-2-1203256562/

So it's official -- Endgame has dethroned Avatar as the WW box office champ. I didn't think it wouuld be able to do it (because of all the other big releases this year), but that "re-release" did the trick. Maybe Avatar will be re-released again to promote Avatar 2 and regain the crown, but I can't see anything touching Endgame's opening weekend record for the foreseeable future (the Force Awakens domestic record will fall before that does IMO).
As I posted in another thread, Avatar relied upon a "re-release" in order to make the number that it did. End Games' re-release was just enough to restoke interest.
Avatar was in the theater for 34 weeks. End Game has been in the theater for 13 weeks. End Game has made almost $100 million more than Avatar in the domestic market.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-21-2019, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 7083 Post(s)
Liked: 6085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
Maybe Avatar will be re-released again to promote Avatar 2 and regain the crown,
Considering the 12-year gap between the original and sequel, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus, it's not like Disney leaves money on the table. IF they can figure out a way to make the original earn a couple hundred million more, it would cross the 3 billion dollar mark.

Sanjay
post #16 of 16 Old 07-26-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Avatar is overrated and only got its money due to inflated 3D prices, multiple rereleases and the novelty factor. Its a great film but story and acting is probably the weakest of Cameron's films. You couldn't come up with a more wooden lead than Sam Worthington - after Avatar he had a million starring roles and its quite telling that he's done nothing of note and is basically a C-lister or worse now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page