Question About Solaris (2002) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2019, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question About Solaris (2002)

If anyone is familiar with this movie and its blu-ray release, apparently it is German-region. Do these differ from North American releases beyond just being region-locked ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Just want to say that it is hard to get the image of Clooneys ass out of your head once you have seen it in 1080p.

Vast majority, which is like 99.9%, of German blu-ray's have english sound/(german)subtitels turn on/off options. A booklet included might be in german. If there is any doubt you can google stuff like EAN number and check out blu-ray.com.

This blu-ray has at least four versions in Germany:
1 Blu-ray https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detai...s/hnum/8739860
2 Blu-ray im Mediabook https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detai...s/hnum/8925154
3 Blu-ray im Digipack https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detai...k/hnum/7734550
4 Blu-ray im FuturePak https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detai...n/hnum/8086815
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

might help to talk and remind people about it less, but thanks for the other info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
Solaris (2002) has both haters and fans. Some unfairly compare it to the original 1972 Russian film when they are very different versions of the book so I don't think of it as a remake. Personally I prefer this version for Clooney's performance, the introduction (to me) of Viola Davis and Cliff Martinez's brooding score. The visuals are stunning at times.

I own this film on DVD and have been waiting for its release on Blu-ray which hasn't happened in the US. Tired on waiting I purchased the 1080p HDX version on VUDU, it looks excellent. There are stories that the movie was edited down which introduced some discontinuities. The length of the film is 98 minutes 26 seconds. Last year there were stories of a new 4K UHD scan but the Blu-ray has yet to materialize.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3793 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I own this film on DVD and have been waiting for its release on Blu-ray which hasn't happened in the US. Tired on waiting I purchased the 1080p HDX version on VUDU, it looks excellent.
The audio is only stereo, though, unfortunately. At least, it was when I purchased it on VUDU (haven't checked to see if it got upgraded). The DVD was Dolby Digital 5.1, and I have a Japanese DVD with DTS 5.1. I wish I could sync up that soundtrack with the HD video from VUDU.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The audio is only stereo, though, unfortunately. At least, it was when I purchased it on VUDU (haven't checked to see if it got upgraded). The DVD was Dolby Digital 5.1, and I have a Japanese DVD with DTS 5.1. I wish I could sync up that soundtrack with the HD video from VUDU.
True that, I usually put my AVR in pseudo surround mode for the VUDU version. Technical notes list it as having 8 channels originally. I hold out hopes that the 4K version, should it arrive someday, will have an Atmos mastering but that's probably pie-in-the-sky.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I should check my posts more often but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Solaris (2002) has both haters and fans. Some unfairly compare it to the original 1972 Russian film when they are very different versions of the book so I don't think of it as a remake. Personally I prefer this version for Clooney's performance, the introduction (to me) of Viola Davis and Cliff Martinez's brooding score. The visuals are stunning at times.

I own this film on DVD and have been waiting for its release on Blu-ray which hasn't happened in the US. Tired on waiting I purchased the 1080p HDX version on VUDU, it looks excellent. There are stories that the movie was edited down which introduced some discontinuities. The length of the film is 98 minutes 26 seconds. Last year there were stories of a new 4K UHD scan but the Blu-ray has yet to materialize.
wondering why you haven't just bought it off ebay or something similar ? Or is the region-lock issue a deal-breaker.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod K View Post
I should check my posts more often but....

wondering why you haven't just bought it off ebay or something similar ? Or is the region-lock issue a deal-breaker.
Yes, that's the problem. I own the Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-ray player which is not region-free.

There was a story last year that Steven Soderbergh was planning to remaster all of his films in 4K starting with Solaris. But then in the same story he is quoting as saying that Fox had already remastered Solaris in 4K HDR and he had seen it. So I'm still patiently waiting for the Region A release.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/soderber...hdr-remasters/

post #9 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
post #812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx
Thanks I'll look into that. What are the whispers about the UB820, is a region free kit for this umit in development?
There are limitations as to what can be said on this forum. I suggest you do a google search on regionfree firmware for Panasonic and you will likely find what you seek.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...e-talk-28.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page