Forum Jump: 
 546Likes

post #61 of 367 Old 06-07-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7230 Post(s)
Liked: 16437
The Thing is not only great horror/sci-fi, but also in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.💪
ADU, tenthplanet, RobKnapp and 1 others like this.

Advertisement

post #62 of 367 Old 06-16-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
The Andromeda Strain (1971) VUDU-- DVD--Bluray

Slow and methodical entertainment The "Andromeda Strain" delivers !

Academy Awards, USA 1972 Nominee , Best Art Direction-Set Decoration & Best Film Editing .
THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN is very literal and talky. But that is part of the film's appeal I thought. Directed By: Robert Wise (and Crichton) concoct the most absorbing, riveting take on science fiction tempered with science fact. I thought the film was great if you like a slow burn story arch . Robert Wise' direction is superbly innovative, for its' time. In addition, Douglas Trumbull's special effects warrants very special recognition, simply because his work was done entirely without the aid of advanced computer graphics(did not exist, in 1971).
Slow and methodical entertainment that will get you worried about whether they'll be able to contain that strange blob of alien green crystal.

rezzy, ADU, gprace and 1 others like this.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #63 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
^ Very nice review, Rob. Thanks for that.
RobKnapp and Panson like this.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
What I always find is that, relative to how many sci-fi movies get made, how many of them that I consider to be quite good is quite low. I think my average rating of sci-fi movies on the whole might be lower than any other genre, despite the fact that I love sci-fi. Or maybe it's because I love sci-fi and have higher expectations, I dunno.

A lot of them are OK, and I don't mind having spent the time to watch them, but they are nothing to brag about. And so many of them are just stupid to me. And it's not because of being un-scientific. I really enjoy sci-fi that is really about exploring the human condition or the psychology of dealing with what's 'out there'. Stuff like "Europa Report" or "Another Earth" or "Solaris" I think are very good, though it's nice to have something like The Martian as well (which still fell factually short in a number of obvious ways.) And there are CGI-fests I love, like The Matrix, and completely non-CGI stuff I love, like Gattica or Primer. So it's not because I'm disliking some whole area of the genre really. Well, there's a lot of sci-fi-terror, and I don't like terror much. Real life is scary enough for me. Though I will give a pass to Alien/Aliens I guess.

But so much of it is empty CGI, or silly slash super-hero stuff, or has one idea and milks it to death, or are just OK despite being very good in some specific respect. Some are just so-so in terms of story, but have something really interesting. Like Oblivion, which I think is just average good overall, but absolutely gorgeous design-wise, and it has some good story moments. A lot have a lot of promise but end up falling a bit short, like Edge of Tomorrow.

I addition to the above... In terms of big budge CGI stuff, Inception I think is very good, and highly re-watchable. The recently done Planet of the Apes trilogy I thought was very well done, surprisingly so. Of course Terminator and T2. Looper I liked a lot. Limitless is excellent. Cloud Atlas a lot of folks didn't like, but I think it's very good though not a frequent re-watcher. Elysium was pretty good. The Martian as mentioned already. Interstellar had some really good moments but went stupid at the end. I think Minority Report is excellent.

On the lower budget side, Moon is excellent. 12 Monkeys I think is an uber-classic. I loved Arrival. Deep Impact is a big favorite. A.I. I really love, though a lot of folks didn't. Melancholia was challenging but good. Source Code was very good. Ex Machina is incredibly good.

But that's out of hundreds of sci-fi movies that came out just in the last couple decades from which most of the above hail.
Very nice summary, Dean. Some of the above I have seen. But alot I have not. So you've given me a few new ideas to at least consider.

Arrival was decent, and had some fairly striking visuals at times. It was a little bit of a slog though for me at its nearly 2 hour running time. And might tax some people's patience if they aren't that into the plot/subject matter.

I did watch the first 2011 Planet of the Apes reboot movie. And for some reason it just did not grab me, visually or story-wise.

Not necessarily suggesting people watch it. But the practical FX in the 2001 Tim Burton version with Mark Wahlberg where pretty ok imo (though still not perfect). I wouldn't have minded seeing an updated version of the films that used an approach more along those lines, with possibly a few more tweaks or some morphing to make the facial movements and expressions a bit more convincing. Not really sure though about that.

tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.
post #65 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I think "Forbidden Planet" holds up well after 60+ years. The FX are really good considering this is WAY BEFORE CGI. Also, the "tonalities" used were way before their time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet
ADU, gprace, tenthplanet and 3 others like this.
post #66 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Some movies and series I've watched in the last few weeks...

"Quatermass and the Pit", the 1958 British TV version. Recommended, esp. for fans of old-school horror and SF. More details.

ADU
post #67 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Harlock: Space Pirate

Watched this on one of the free w/ads streaming svcs. All CG. Some of the visuals were fairly impressive. The movie is pretty dark overall though. And I had some difficulty discerning what was going on at times. Lots of spaceships and storm-troopers firing lasers at each other. Wasn't really my cup o' tea. But some here might enjoy it.
tenthplanet likes this.

ADU
post #68 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Also took in the 2nd and 3rd Trek films on Pluto TV, Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock.

I like the first film (Star Trek: The Motion Picture) best. But these were also ok. C. Lloyd made a pretty good Klingon baddie in the third film.

I was a regular viewer of the original TV series when I was a kid. And had a model of the Enterprise (similar to the one in this photo), complete with lights for the warp drive engines. Very cool!

tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-19-2019 at 01:31 PM.
post #69 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Very nice summary, Dean. Some of the above I have seen. But alot I have not. So you've given me a few new ideas to at least consider.

I did watch the first 2011 Planet of the Apes reboot movie. And for some reason it just did not grab me, visually or story-wise.
The first was the least best of the three I guess, but I think it set up the rest of the story well. Unlike most such things, I thought the 2nd was better, and the 3rd the best. Andy Serkis really created an epic character in Caesar. And it even has the balls to have a somewhat tragic series ending, which is almost unheard of these days in big budget movies.

There weren't really any cardboard cutout characters, they all had pretty complex motivations and a lot of inner conflict. Like many big budget movies, the third one had a 'comic relief' character, but he was actually very funny in a sad, ironic sort of way that worked with the mood of the story, not against it. It also has a 'mouse' character, but she was done well and not just the 'push the empathy button' character.
ADU, tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Last edited by Dean Roddey; 06-19-2019 at 02:13 PM.
post #70 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 815
"War for the Planet" actually wasn't bad at all. It's just that we've mostly already seen this before, prequel or not.
ADU, tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #71 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 03:27 PM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Still - the best SF on TV today is the -Expanse-...... waiting and waiting for Season 4.
archiguy, ADU, tenthplanet and 2 others like this.
post #72 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Contagion (2011) FREE on VUDU , DVD , Blu=ray

Here's a scare-the-crap-out-of-you sci-fi “for all intents and purposes” medical thriller about a viral pandemic . Contagion is serious, precise, frightening, emotionally enveloping. Steven Soderbergh's Contagion is a serious all-star thriller.
Stars: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence Fishburne , Daria Strokous .

ADU, tenthplanet and Panson like this.

Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #73 of 367 Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Contagion is very good. I've watched it a number of times, and I think it represents the possibilities pretty well. I do though agree with putting it in quotes as sci-fi. It's more of a reasonably realistic exploration of a future possibility that doesn't contain any unavailable technology, aliens, super-powers, etc...
ADU and Panson like this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #74 of 367 Old 06-22-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I wanna try and catch this this weekend, my kid saw it and said it was fantastic. Unreleased 70 mm footage. Maybe not sci fi, but definitely sci.

Apollo 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Co8Z8BQgWc
Got the BR as a Father's Day gift but didn't have the opportunity to watch until last night. Absolutely riveting and the 70mm footage was no less than stunning.

I was a kid in '69 and the Apollo program was an obsession for me. Found myself deeply moved by the memories of that time the film evoked. Nothing we've accomplished since compares.
ADU, Tack, tenthplanet and 1 others like this.
post #75 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) DVD

I was rooting for the monster....

Oh boy do I love The work of Ray Harryhausen When it comes to motion picture special effects comprised of stop-motion. A ferocious dinosaur awakened by an Arctic atomic test terrorizes the North Atlantic and, ultimately, New York City. Lovable "B" sci-fi film that overcomes its slight story with wonderful stop-motion special effects . This film is defintely a classic. I was rooting for the monster.

ADU, tenthplanet, Steve544 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by RobKnapp; 06-23-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Dyslexic spelling error's corrected added photo
post #76 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post

Oh boy do I love The work of Ray Harryhausen When it comes to motion picture special effects comprised of stop-motion. A ferocious dinosaur awakened by an Arctic atomic test terrorizes the North Atlantic and, ultimately, New York City. Lovable "B" sci-fi film that overcomes its slight story with wonderful stop-motion special effects . This film is defintely a classic. I was rooting for the monster.
A Harryhausen classic! Thanks, Rob.
RobKnapp likes this.

ADU
post #77 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
The first was the least best of the three I guess, but I think it set up the rest of the story well. Unlike most such things, I thought the 2nd was better, and the 3rd the best. Andy Serkis really created an epic character in Caesar. And it even has the balls to have a somewhat tragic series ending, which is almost unheard of these days in big budget movies.

There weren't really any cardboard cutout characters, they all had pretty complex motivations and a lot of inner conflict. Like many big budget movies, the third one had a 'comic relief' character, but he was actually very funny in a sad, ironic sort of way that worked with the mood of the story, not against it. It also has a 'mouse' character, but she was done well and not just the 'push the empathy button' character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
"War for the Planet" actually wasn't bad at all. It's just that we've mostly already seen this before, prequel or not.
I think my library probably has the new POTA series. May have to give it another try.

Haven't watched any new SF flicks yet, but picked these up from the lib on DVD. I've been in sort of a Trek-ish mood lately, so thought I'd try a couple more of the new ones, along with Riddick and Elysium. All would be FTVs (first time views). Just have to make the time to actually watch em.

ADU
post #78 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Well maybe I'll just skip it. Too bad, pretty ripe subject matter.
Don't want you or anyone else to waste a couple hours or hard-earned $$ on something that isn't worthy. But more opinions are always welcome here, even on the "stinkers". I feel like I may already have discouraged some from watching movies like Red Planet, for example, which was not really my intent.
Panson likes this.

ADU
post #79 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I think "Forbidden Planet" holds up well after 60+ years. The FX are really good considering this is WAY BEFORE CGI. Also, the "tonalities" used were way before their time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet
An oldie, but still very much a goodie imo. The HD/Blu-ray picture looks much better than this trailer btw. Colors are badly faded on this. But at least it's widescreen... Coming to a home theater, or flat screen TV (I assume most of you have gone flat by now) near you!

ADU
post #80 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of "stinkers". Haven't watched this one in quite awhile, but I remember Cheryl Ladd being quite dishy in this.

HD version looks pretty good.
RobKnapp and Panson like this.

ADU
post #81 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

More good schlock.

I tried to watch this in 3D when it came out, but my eyes just wouldn't adapt to the system they were using at the time. This was before the Hughes films. And it was actually pretty fun. Some great costumes and weird-ass practical effects. Michael Ironside was very over-the-top. A guilty pleasure to be sure. Hopefully it will find its way onto a free w/ads streaming service at some point.
Panson likes this.

ADU
post #82 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Seminal Sci-fi Films

The Shape of Things to Come (1936) - Dystopian to utopian future.
Cosmic Voyage (1936) - The Soviets conquer space - compare it to Destination Moon.
Destination Moon (1950) - The moonscapes by Chesley Bonestell are priceless.
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1950) A B&W masterpiece.
The War of the Worlds (1953). Fantastic visual effects.
This Island Earth (1955) - First Interstellar flight.
Earth Versus the flying Saucers (1956) - The title says it all.
Them! (1956) - Classic Sci-fi at it's best.
The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) - Many remakes and spinoffs
Forbidden Planet - In many ways the pilot for Star Trek with another Canadian as captain.
It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958) The First iteration of Alien.

Nuclear War quadrilogy:
On The Beach (1959) - Haunting film about doomed people.
The Time Machine (1960) - HG Wells tale of our capacity for destruction and compassion.
Panic in Year Zero (1962) - Ray Miland's masterpiece that predated the Cuban Missile Crisis
Planet of the Apes (1968) Heston's sci-fi debut.

2001 (1968)
Colossus the Forbin Project (1970) - The First Singularity
Silent Running (1972) - Makes a good double bill with the next film.
Soylent Green (1973) - Charleton Heston as a detective in a world gone mad - more topical than ever.

2010 (1984) - long overlooked sequel to 2001.
ADU, Steve544 and RobKnapp like this.
post #83 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
Got the BR as a Father's Day gift but didn't have the opportunity to watch until last night. Absolutely riveting and the 70mm footage was no less than stunning.

I was a kid in '69 and the Apollo program was an obsession for me. Found myself deeply moved by the memories of that time the film evoked. Nothing we've accomplished since compares.
I gave a blu ray to my father for Father's Day of the film.
Dodge DeBoulet likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #84 of 367 Old 06-23-2019, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post

Lizard looks real, everything else looks fake. Now that's SFX
Tack and RobKnapp like this.

post #85 of 367 Old 06-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
An oldie, but still very much a goodie imo. The HD/Blu-ray picture looks much better than this trailer btw. Colors are badly faded on this. But at least it's widescreen... Coming to a home theater, or flat screen TV (I assume most of you have gone flat by now) near you!
I agree--I have the Blu-Ray copy. The color and resolution look very good on this. MGM gave a BIG effort on this movie when it was made in '56. It set the scene for future outer space sci-fi e.g.-"Star Trek" and "Star Wars".

I first saw FP in 1965 on a B/W tv. It was playing on an afternoon movie show program, the type which were somewhat common in the early/mid 60's. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I watched it back then. I made it a point (over the years) to view it whenever I had a chance. I now am able to enjoy it on my big screen with a surround sound system. As I mentioned earlier-the "tonalities" in the film (versus "music") were WAY ahead of their time. They had to call these sounds "tonalities" because the musician's union bitched that their union musicians weren't used on the movie (a bit of trivia for you).
DAB and ADU like this.
post #86 of 367 Old 06-24-2019, 12:26 PM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

https://youtu.be/sm3MnhzPdIs
as it is- still one of the most - most excellent SF ever.... watched 15+ TIMES
ADU likes this.
post #87 of 367 Old 06-24-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 11361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
as it is- still one of the most - most excellent SF ever.... watched 15+ TIMES

I may have you beat. I cannot even remember how many times I have watched this classic. May be triple digits.
ADU likes this.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #88 of 367 Old 06-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Still - the best SF on TV today is the -Expanse-...... waiting and waiting for Season 4.
Funny I just got around to finishing season 3 and you are right on. Great show.

jeff
ADU likes this.
post #89 of 367 Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I gave a blu ray to my father for Father's Day of the film.
You are a great son
ADU and Tack like this.
post #90 of 367 Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
You are a great son
Thanks. It's tough to come up with gift ideas for a father that does not golf.
ADU, RobKnapp and Panson like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page