400Likes

post #91 of 233 Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
Not the best, but here are some more recent ones:

Gattaca, the Fly (yucky), Minority Report, Moon, Ex Machina, BSG:Blood and Chrome, Serenity, Edge of Tomorrow

For TV Series, I liked the Lost in Space reboot for Action and acting and special effects, very good and season 2 on its way. The Expanse was ok, but the acting was mostly ho-hum and something was missing. Dark matter was better even though it was a bit more corny, at least it wasn't boring.
ADU and RobKnapp like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Not the best, but here are some more recent ones:

Gattaca, the Fly (yucky), Minority Report, Moon, Ex Machina, BSG:Blood and Chrome, Serenity, Edge of Tomorrow

For TV Series, I liked the Lost in Space reboot for Action and acting and special effects, very good and season 2 on its way. The Expanse was ok, but the acting was mostly ho-hum and something was missing. Dark matter was better even though it was a bit more corny, at least it wasn't boring.
Completely with you on the movie selection.

For TV ... wow, just wow. Exactly the opposite for me. LiS was painful to watch with horrible acting and an utter disregard for physics in the real world. Robot's practical effects were a joke; should've done him completely in CGI. The Expanse was a little slow starting but the characters were very well developed and the performances outstanding. Attention to real world physics wasn't perfect, but they at least gave a nod to how things work in a weightless environment (although the slingshot bit was a little tough to take).

To each his/her own, though.
ADU and mik2h like this.
post #93 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5945 Post(s)
Liked: 6546
I think 'The Expanse' is outstanding. IMO, it's easily the best sci-fi TV show of all time (certainly of the "hard science" variety), behind the magnificent BSG (reboot version). They try very hard to get the physics right. The only real "macguffin" is the Epstein Drive, a very efficient fusion drive that allows constant acceleration/deceleration for months at a time, thereby providing artificial gravity and cuts the travel time from one solar body to the next to weeks or months rather than years. Not hard to imagine something like that will eventually be invented. Our current understanding of physics allows it.

The asteroids that house human habitations are mined from the inside, then "spun up" to provide centrifugal gravity for the inhabitants. There is no faster-than-light travel, transporters, lasers/phasers or other tropes of standard space opera. Mars has hundreds of millions of inhabitants by this time (200 years in the future) and become a military superpower (they invented the Epstein Drive and gave it to earth in return for independence). They are practically single-minded in their goal of terraforming their planet.

In addition, there is a lower caste of people who live in the asteroid belt, mining it for its mineral wealth and selling it back to Earth & Mars. So there are 3 major population groups in the solar system and the plot lines mainly involve how those entities interact with each other. Then, something strange is discovered on one of the moons of Saturn and the status quo suddenly changes...

The story & plot lines are extremely well done and based on the excellent series of novels by dual authors who write under the pen name of "James S.A. Corey". I've been keeping up with the book series and they just released the 8th of 9. So the story is almost complete. The TV show roughly follows the books, with one per season. Syfy Network cancelled it last year (too expensive to produce) and Amazon Video picked it up. S-4 premieres this fall. Free for Prime members. If you like "hard" sci-fi, you should climb on board the Rocinante and enjoy one helluva ride.
Josh Z, DAB, ADU and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Something about the expanse just doesn’t click with me at all.

Not sure if it’s the gratuitous violence or what but that show just turns me off. Tried reading the books and I got as far as book 5 or 6 and put that down as well for spoiler-ey reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ADU, RobKnapp and Panson like this.
post #95 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Something about the expanse just doesn’t click with me at all.

Not sure if it’s the gratuitous violence or what but that show just turns me off. Tried reading the books and I got as far as book 5 or 6 and put that down as well for spoiler-ey reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The most common tagline for the series is "United by War." You were expecting maybe a pillowfight?
post #96 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
How Trump got into office.
I'm sincerely sorry to have to report to some of you that Trump is, in fact, really the president. And not a SF movie or TV show. And therefore not an appropriate topic for this discussion. And comments like the one above will be reported to the forum moderators without hesitation on my part (regardless of whether or not I may agree with them).

Whether they'll do anything, I can't say. But I just wanted to give you all a little heads up and my apologies in advance on this. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Panson likes this.

ADU
post #97 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Haven't seen "The Expanse", or most other recent SF series for that matter. I'm still sort of working on Sorbo's "Andromeda". What I've heard here on "The Expanse" has mostly been positive though. The new "Lost in Space" looks like it could be fun too.

I certainly enjoyed the old version, when I was a youngster. Fwiw, it can be streamed free w/ads on The Roku Channel here...

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/deta.../lost-in-space

Sound is only mono, and not the best quality (and could possibly benefit from some EQ-ing). But the PQ is excellent.

"Andromeda" can also be streamed there...

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/deta...6b32/andromeda

Excellent sound and picture on this one. Neither are very "serious" SF. But I'd give the above at least a couple episodes before you decide. One of em might start to grow on you. Plus they're free, and don't even cost nothin. TRC does require registration btw. But you don't have to give them any credit card or financial info to watch their free stuff.
Panson likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-25-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #98 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
The most common tagline for the series is "United by War." You were expecting maybe a pillowfight?
ok but there's war like star wars and then there's this...
post #99 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5945 Post(s)
Liked: 6546
Quote:
I think the issue most of us who enjoy the show would disagree with was your choice of adjective: gratuitous. The violence on the show is rather tame for modern television adventure dramas, and I can't think of any examples where the writers inserted violence for merely gratuitous titillation. In every case, it grows organically out of the plot line.

Space is a dangerous place, especially when people bring with them their violent impulses. As they certainly will once the first wave of pure scientists and adventurers to venture out there gives way to a more typical cross-section of humanity in later colonization efforts. Inter-solar space travel has become routine a couple of centuries down the line in the world of The Expanse.

When I think of gratuitous violence, I think of a show like 'Westworld', or basically any drama on Cinemax or any of the hyper-violent crime dramas all over the small (or large) screen. 'The Expanse' would be one of the last to which I would give that description.
post #100 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
There was so little violence in Star Wars because the so-called "Storm Troopers" couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a baseball bat.
tenthplanet and Panson like this.
post #101 of 233 Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
There was so little violence in Star Wars because the so-called "Storm Troopers" couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a baseball bat.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #102 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Finished the last two Treks in the Kelvin timeline. Not sure what to say about these.

Into Darkness recycled ideas and characters from some of the other Trek films. Beyond was just confusing. Neither one felt very "Trek-like" to me. And I think Gene Roddenberry (the creator of the franchise) would have hated both of them. Since I don't really have much positive to say about either one, I think I'll leave it at that. Recommend avoiding all three movies in this timeline.

Both were FTVs on DVD.
rezzy likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-30-2019 at 02:55 AM.
post #103 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Also watched Elysium, with Matt Damon. I think this is the first Blomkamp SF movie I've seen so far. The others are District 9 and Chappie. Blomkamp likes robots. That much is clear.

This was a more engaging story for me than the Kelvin movies. But I wouldn't want to oversell it too much. Because I thought it had some problems as well. Mainly in the area of believability.

If you're going to make a story about rich folk living on a giant wheel in space, then you have to do a little more to develop that idea than just a line or two of explanation at the beginning. Too much was taken for granted in this, which made it hard for me to really buy into the characters and plot. Another FTV on DVD.
RobKnapp and Panson like this.

ADU
post #104 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

The problem with Elysium above seems to be a common one in recent SF movies.

Alot of these movies begin with a really fantastic premise (or premises). Which is then left flapping in the breeze, with very little in the way of explanation, exposition, or evidence to support it. And the audience is apparently just supposed to accept it on faith.

Something like "Quatermass & the Pit" stands in stark contrast to this.

ADU
post #105 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Happy Asteroid Day btw.

https://www.youtube.com/user/asteroidday
Panson likes this.

ADU
post #106 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
I'd like to see how Earth handles one, before I'm in the good hands of Whispering Glades personnel.
RobKnapp likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #107 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't want you or anyone else to waste a couple hours or hard-earned $$ on something that isn't worthy. But more opinions are always welcome here, even on the "stinkers". I feel like I may already have discouraged some from watching movies like Red Planet, for example, which was not really my intent.
Which brings me back to Dune (1984), an odor that still lingers.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #108 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Yeh, it's probably not totally fair to classify some of that super-hero stuff as sci-fi, though some obviously have some sci-fi elements.
Agree, agree, though I get the feeling over Ed Wood (1994) sometimes.

post #109 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 763
I Am Mother (2019) Netflix Original

Fans of Ex Machina and other cerebral sci-fi movies will find another favorite here. The lead actress Clara Rugaard makes a stunning debut and carries the film, with Hilary Swank in a supporting role. The film constantly has you changing allegiances, unsure of who to trust. The finale is super satisfying.

ADU likes this.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #110 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The problem with Elysium above seems to be a common one in recent SF movies.

Alot of these movies begin with a really fantastic premise (or premises). Which is then left flapping in the breeze, with very little in the way of explanation, exposition, or evidence to support it. And the audience is apparently just supposed to accept it on faith.

Something like "Quatermass & the Pit" stands in stark contrast to this.
Exposition kills movies, kills their flow. Sort like online movie critics without editors. First rule of fiction: It's not real, Second rule: Accept it, Third rule: Cycle back to first rule. Scarlans corollary: The best Sci-Fi novels make the worst movies.
rezzy and ADU like this.

post #111 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Shoot, late for another asteroid day. Guess I can put this away till next year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Asteroids_Arcade_Machine__42178.1508723150.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	2586234  
ADU and Tack like this.

post #112 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I'd like to see how Earth handles one, before I'm in the good hands of Whispering Glades personnel.
Umm... Let's not, and say we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Exposition kills movies, kills their flow. Sort like online movie critics without editors. First rule of fiction: It's not real, Second rule: Accept it, Third rule: Cycle back to first rule. Scarlans corollary: The best Sci-Fi novels make the worst movies.
I assume you're bein facetious or sarcastic or somethin, except for maybe that last bit about the novels. I'm too tired (read lazy) to come up with other examples though to make my point. So you win!

Quote:
Played Asteroids alot as a kid. So I should be ready if one comes our way.

I can see that the spirits are flowing well this Asteroid Day. There are alot of potential jokes I could make about mothers and robots btw. But I'm gonna take the high rode. There is a famous episode though of "The Twilight Zone" about robotic grandmothers written by Ray Bradbury called "I Sing the Body Electric". I'm sure most here have probably seen it.
Panson likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-30-2019 at 08:41 PM.
post #113 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

In spite of a few minor setbacks, I'm not giving up on this genre.

Still have these two on tap. And probably more on the way soon. So bring on the lousy SF y'all!!... The more the merrier.

tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

ADU
post #114 of 233 Old 06-30-2019, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Which brings me back to Dune (1984), an odor that still lingers.
Haven't seen it in quite a few years. So I may have to add this to my watch list with some of the other stinkers.

At least it has Sean Young. And I wouldn't mind seeing it in HD, if that's feasible.

There was also a 3-part mini of this made for the Syfy channel in 2000 called Frank Herbert's Dune starring Bill Hurt as Leto Atreides, which wasn't too awful as I recall. And a 2003 sequel called Children of Dune with Susan Sarandon and Alice Krige. Both took home Emmy's for Visual Effects. And according to Wikipedia, they are still some of the highest rated programs to air on the Syfy channel.

RobKnapp and Panson like this.

ADU
post #115 of 233 Old 07-01-2019, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lynch was very hard on himself with 'Dune', it actually has an epic quality despite it's flaws and doesn't look like other films. The TV adaptations feel very small screen.
ADU, Tack and RobKnapp like this.

post #116 of 233 Old 07-01-2019, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lynch was very hard on himself with 'Dune', it actually has an epic quality despite it's flaws and doesn't look like other films. The TV adaptations feel very small screen.

I found the TV version to be more than a bit porny...but the effects are much better in the TV version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ADU likes this.
post #117 of 233 Old 07-01-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4548 Post(s)
Liked: 5985
Quote:

I loved that game. Always wanted to pick up one of the old machines. There's some free online games, pretty decent but without the original controls it's missing the total feel.

http://www.freeasteroids.org
ADU likes this.
post #118 of 233 Old 07-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Asteroids is the last game I ever played, the arcade version of course. So I may be a bit behind on the state of the art.
ADU likes this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #119 of 233 Old 07-01-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
[QUOTE=ADU;58244648]Haven't seen it in quite a few years. So I may have to add this to my watch list with some of the other stinkers.

At least it has Sean Young. And I wouldn't mind seeing it in HD, if that's feasible.

Chani " Tell me of you home world Usul." Sean did not leave any impression on me. However, The Lady Jessica, I remembered. What a beauty. Though not perfect of course, having seen the books characters come to life in Dune, was more than pleasing to my teenage eyes at the time. Opening day for me.
ADU likes this.
post #120 of 233 Old 07-01-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 573
I've honestly not seen a movie/TV version of Dune yet that didn't make me vaguely nauseous, or even not so vaguely.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page