Science-fiction - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 508Likes

post #121 of 331 Old 07-02-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you're ok with your science fiction not "leaving the planet" I would argue that the best television series in a long time is a German series currently showing on Netflix in its second season (3rd being filmed now apparently) called Dark. It reminds me in some ways of Lost but thankfully where the writers actually create a set of rules and then stick with them rather than simply adding red herring fluff with zero payoff at the end. Well acted, well filmed/scored and for a change, something that makes you actually think about how crazy it is long after you're done watching. This show requires patient viewing though as it follows various characters across time periods but the payoff thus far has been totally worth it. I think it is probably the best thing that has been put on Netflix and likely one of the best shows produced. Highly Recommended!
ADU, tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 331 Old 07-03-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated Idiot View Post
If you're ok with your science fiction not "leaving the planet" I would argue that the best television series in a long time is a German series currently showing on Netflix in its second season (3rd being filmed now apparently) called Dark. It reminds me in some ways of Lost but thankfully where the writers actually create a set of rules and then stick with them rather than simply adding red herring fluff with zero payoff at the end. Well acted, well filmed/scored and for a change, something that makes you actually think about how crazy it is long after you're done watching. This show requires patient viewing though as it follows various characters across time periods but the payoff thus far has been totally worth it. I think it is probably the best thing that has been put on Netflix and likely one of the best shows produced. Highly Recommended!
Thanks for the suggestion, EI.

ADU
post #123 of 331 Old 07-03-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Checking out some of the free w/ads stuff. Right now, Sony Crackle has...

After Earth
AVP - recommended for the creature-feature lovers in you

District 9
Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars
Godzilla - with Matthew Broderick
Moon
Muppets from Space

My Stepmother Is An Alien
Runaway - old Tom Selleck near-future thriller by M. Crichton
Short Circuit
Carpenter's Starman
Ultraviolet
Year One
And... wait for it...

SPACEHUNTER: ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE!!

Not too shabby!

Quick Crackle tip... Crackle doesn't require registration. But you may get fewer commercials on some movies if you sign-in.
RobKnapp and DD/DTS like this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-03-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 331 Old 07-03-2019, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
SPACEHUNTER: ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE!!

Just started it. Pretty good stereo sound and picture so far for a freebie from 1983. Nice score by Elmer Bernstein.
RobKnapp likes this.

ADU
post #125 of 331 Old 07-04-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Happy 4th. I hope those of you in S. America and the Pitcairn Islands enjoyed the solar eclipse a couple days ago.

Following is my "official" review for Spacehunter featuring Molly Ringwald, Peter Strauss and Michael Ironside...

ADU
post #126 of 331 Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983) - Streamed free w/ads on Sony Crackle

Mad Max in outer space... sort of.

Somewhere near the ass end of the cosmos, a half-man, half-machine overlord (Michael Ironside) and his evil minions terrorize the hapless denizens of a backwater planet, including a punked-out Molly Ringwald and her two male cohorts (played by Peter Strauss and Ernie Hudson).

A delightful trash-heap of a movie that's full of wall-to-wall schlocky goodness, with a wonderfully raucous score by Elmer Bernstein (or "Bernstein West", as he's sometimes referred to). Exec-produced by Ivan Reitman, of Ghostbusters fame. This was the perfect antidote to the mostly overwrought CG-laden muck I've been watching of late. With a little better story, script, acting, directing, effects, etc., this might have actually passed as a halfway decent Mad Max-type thriller. But it probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as fun as this gadawful, tongue-in-cheek mess is.

Sound could probably have used some re-mixing to smooth out the levels a bit. But aside from that, the AV quality was pretty decent for a lower-budget 80's flick. Strongly recommended, for connoisseurs of vintage schlock. This currently has an 18% critics (based on 11 reviews), and 36% audience (based on about 3000 users) rating on Rotten Tomatoes... which is one reason you should never put too much faith in aggregator sites like this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-04-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #127 of 331 Old 07-04-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

After Earth (2013) - Streamed free on Crackle - FTV

Will and Jaden Smith team up for a little jaunt to another backwater planet.

Spoiler!

This was not great. But it was better than I expected. So it gets a marginal thumbs up. The first half is a bit sluggish. But things gradually pick up toward the end. Recommended mainly for the nice HD visuals (which make fairly prolific use of CG) and sound. And a bit of good creature action, here and there. Will and Jaden are also decent in this. Though they both have somewhat dicey British-sounding accents, for some reason. Apparently we all turn British in the future.
shivaji and DD/DTS like this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-05-2019 at 12:42 AM.
post #128 of 331 Old 07-04-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Alien vs. Predator (2004) - Streamed free on Crackle

Solid gothic monster action, with some beautifully done visuals and effects. I've probably seen this about a dozen times. And have enjoyed it every time.

ADU
post #129 of 331 Old 07-04-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:

After Earth (2013) - Streamed free on Crackle - FTV

Will and Jaden Smith team up for a little jaunt to another backwater planet.

Spoiler!

This was not great. But it was better than I expected. So it gets a marginal thumbs up. The first half is a bit sluggish. But things gradually pick up toward the end. Recommended mainly for the nice HD visuals (which make fairly prolific use of CG) and sound. And a bit of good creature action, here and there. Will and Jaden are also decent in this. Though they both have somewhat dicey British-sounding accents, for some reason. Apparently we all turn British in the future.
Wasn't great, wasn't rotten either. In spite of M. Night's "fall-off", I liked it but feels like a TV episode of The Twilight Zone, or something. I remember this getting ripped, but it really isn't bad, IMO.
ADU and tenthplanet like this.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #130 of 331 Old 07-05-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Wasn't great, wasn't rotten either. In spite of M. Night's "fall-off", I liked it but feels like a TV episode of The Twilight Zone, or something. I remember this getting ripped, but it really isn't bad, IMO.
Fwiw, I agree pretty much with your take. There were some things in the story that didn't quite make sense to me though. So I may need another viewing to really give it a better assessment.

This is the sort of movie that requires a fairly open mind though. I think that's fair to say.
rezzy likes this.

ADU
post #131 of 331 Old 07-05-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Still checking out some of the free w/ads streaming options. In terms of newer/better stuff (if you can call Spacehunter "better"), it looks like Crackle may be one of the better options at the moment. Other than the usual stuff, like "Lost in Space" (the original 1960's version), "Andromeda", and so forth, it doesn't look like The Roku Channel really has much new in this genre at the moment. Though it does also have the 1998 Godzilla, and Ultraviolet with Milla Jovovich, like Crackle.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-05-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #132 of 331 Old 07-05-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

The first three Trek movies are also still running free on demand on Pluto TV. These are currently on Pluto's "Last Chance to Watch" list though, which means they may not be available there for too much longer.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-05-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #133 of 331 Old 07-05-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Star Trek 2 is one of the all time greats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #134 of 331 Old 07-05-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Godzilla '98 is one of my favorite guilty pleasures.

post #135 of 331 Old 07-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
The first three Trek movies are also still running free on demand on Pluto TV. These are currently on Pluto's "Last Chance to Watch" list though, which means they may not be available there for too much longer.

They're also available to watch for free with an Amazon Prime membership.

Alas, IV and V are not.
ADU likes this.
post #136 of 331 Old 07-05-2019, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
They're also available to watch for free with an Amazon Prime membership.
Good to know. It looks like I-III, and V are also playing free w/ads on Tubi. I think they may boost the loudness though. So the SQ might possibly be better on the other svcs.

I watched the first Trek film on Pluto this morning. And it is still my favorite of the large screen adaptations. YMMV.

shivaji, DunMunro and DD/DTS like this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-06-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #137 of 331 Old 07-05-2019, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Also watched John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars with Natasha Henstridge, Cube, Jason Statham, and Pam Grier on Crackle.

There's quite a bit of gore and graphic violence in this, so I'm sure it won't be to everyone's taste here. I hadn't seen it in quite awhile though. So thought I'd give it a look.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-05-2019 at 11:14 PM.
post #138 of 331 Old 07-05-2019, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 3221
Quote:

Also watched John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars with Natasha Henstridge, Cube, Jason Statham, and Pam Grier on Crackle.

There's quite a bit of gore and graphic violence in this, so I'm sure it won't be to everyone's taste here. I hadn't seen it in quite awhile though. So thought I'd give it a look.
It's Carpenter it better have gore and graphic violence. I remember people saying this film wasn't real sci-fi when it was released, some people won't admit sci-fi horror is a thing.
rezzy and RobKnapp like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #139 of 331 Old 07-06-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
I like the GoM music sort of like a hard rock metal soundtrack. i even bought the CD. Buckethead

ADU likes this.
post #140 of 331 Old 07-06-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
It's Carpenter it better have gore and graphic violence. I remember people saying this film wasn't real sci-fi when it was released, some people won't admit sci-fi horror is a thing.
Ghosts of Mars is somewhat hard to classify because it contains elements of a number of genres, including (but not necessarily limited to) SF, horror, action and also classic westerns. I suppose that's one of the reasons I still sort of like it. That, and the fact that it has Natasha Henstridge... The movie also has a certain surreal visual flare to it as well.

According to Wikipedia, it originally started out as another sequel to the "Escape from..." pictures. And Statham was to play the Snake character. But the studio wanted a bigger name in that role (ie Ice Cube). And was leery about doing another Snake picture after the box-office failure of Escape from LA.

After the B.O. failure of GOM, Carpenter basically went into semi-retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
I like the GoM music sort of like a hard rock metal soundtrack. i even bought the CD. Buckethead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KVr8pDwqB0
Some might say that the score is the best part of the movie.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-10-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #141 of 331 Old 07-08-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

GoM is good, but not classic Carpenter great. Lacking somewhere, but can't put my finger on it. And yes, Sci/Horror is really a thing (Alien(s), The Blob, Bodysnatchers, The Fly, Predator, The Thing, etc. It's the only horror I will sit through.
ADU, tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

post #142 of 331 Old 07-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Underrated Indie sci-fi

IO (2019)

Yes this is all dialog without much action action. That was the point; to delve into some philosophical thinking . Not a movie for those unwilling to dive into some abstract, profound thinking. "IO" is an exceptional film if you're willing to invest your brain cells.
Stars: Margaret Qualley ,HBO's The Leftovers. Anthony Mackie, Danny Huston

'IO' is a theme of Isolation and Loneliness. Post-apocalyptic psychological drama, focusing on human relationships This film is an excellent character study . It absolutely will not be pleasing to people who want high-tech, fancy FX, big budget excitement. This movie is a ***Slow Burn ***. And I loved it . The plot appears, to the casual viewer to be fairly straight-forward and simple.

Except it's not, and I'm still trying to figure it out. It's foundation lies in the poem by Yeats, "Leda and the Swan," an understanding of Greek mythology, and to some extent, the Trojan War. "And Agamemnon dead," is a *key* line, spoken more than once through out the film .
Under the dismal veil of a post-apocalyptic earth, the movie focuses on the importance of art, of culture, of history and what the wold would be with out it.
If you like to think, ponder and ask what if, why, how and for what purpose? And who are willing to delve into some philosophical thinking, I'd recommend this movie. You'll find 'IO' enjoyable. It Pays the viewer off emotionally well after the credits roll.
ADU, tenthplanet and whipit like this.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII

Last edited by RobKnapp; 07-10-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Dyslexic spelling error's corrected . ...
post #143 of 331 Old 07-13-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Muppets from Space (1999)

This was fun. Streamed free w/ads on Crackle.
tenthplanet, RobKnapp and DD/DTS like this.

ADU
post #144 of 331 Old 07-13-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Oh, the above reminded me of "Z for Zachariah", which is a really nice film of a similar type.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #145 of 331 Old 07-13-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Just finished District 9 (2009), streamed free on Crackle.

Alot of graphic violence, CG effects, social metaphors, shaky cam, and some robots. I come down somewhere in the middle. The effects and what-have-you were well done, for the most part. But could perhaps have been put to better use imo. And some of the characters were a bit one-dimensional. Copley, who plays Wikus van de Merwe, did a pretty good job with the material he was given.

Nominated for 4 Academy Awards: Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Editing, and VFX. But did not win any.

I believe I rented this previously on DVD, though I didn't remember alot about it.
RobKnapp likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-13-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #146 of 331 Old 07-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Just finished District 9 (2009), streamed free on Crackle.

Alot of graphic violence, CG effects, social metaphors, shaky cam, and some robots. I come down somewhere in the middle. The effects and what-have-you were well done, for the most part. But could perhaps have been put to better use imo. And some of the characters were a bit one-dimensional. Copley, who plays Wikus van de Merwe, did a pretty good job with the material he was given.

Nominated for 4 Academy Awards: Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Editing, and VFX. But did not win any.

I believe I rented this previously on DVD, though I didn't remember alot about it.

Just watched this again myself, it's on Prime at the moment.

I love this movie. It's certainly a CGI fest but it's all convincing and in the service of telling the story so it wasn't a bore like say all the Marvel movies. I give it a pass on the one dimensional characters because so many of the other ones aren't - the alien who Wikus teams up with in particular is really interesting.

Neil Blomkamp the director has a great knack for imaginative weapons - the alien guns in this movie are outrageous. The most unbelievable thing in this movie is how some of the soldiers continue fighting against Wikus and the alien after some of them have gotten "popped" with the lightning bolt gun I'd be running like hell if I saw that thing. Elysium (which was not nearly as good) had some interesting stuff as well. Chappie is better forgotten

jeff
ADU likes this.
post #147 of 331 Old 07-13-2019, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Appreciate you sharing your perspective, jeff.

There were a number of things in the movie that could've used a little better explanation imo. But that's sort par for the course for me with recent SF films (see my comments re Elysium).

Maybe I'm just gettin old or somethin.
DD/DTS likes this.

ADU
post #148 of 331 Old 07-13-2019, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I may have to watch Chappie as well btw, if only to say I did it.
DD/DTS likes this.

ADU
post #149 of 331 Old 07-14-2019, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 3221
Quote:
I think I may have to watch Chappie as well btw, if only to say I did it.
Watch Chappie it's not your average Sci-fi some parts are very funny.
Jive Turkey, ADU and gomo657 like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #150 of 331 Old 07-14-2019, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Cowboys & Aliens (Bluray, 2.35:1, DTS-HD MA 5.1, 135mins)

Main:🎭Denon AVR-S740H/Sony UBP-X800/Sanyo 55" 4K UHD HDR/Paradigm Cinema 100 x6/Cinema Center 1/Cinema Sub x2/CM-4228/7778/7600/LTE filter/RG-6 Quad Shield coax. Bedroom:📺Samsung 42" plasma/Samsung HT-J4500/Aluratek ADTB01F HD DVR. PC:🖥Dell Optiplex 780/intel Q9650/16gb DDR3/GT710/SB Audigy FX/Logitech X-530/RCA 32" HDTV. GamingConsoles:🎮 PSone/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox OneX / *Jerry Austin*

Last edited by DD/DTS; 07-14-2019 at 04:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page