post #181 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Some Sci-FI movies are Great for Visual effects[many mentioned here]. Others are for a good story/character development. Wish we had more -both- of those combinations in one film.

I thought Serenity had both/The Expanse has both/ many of the DC&MV comic movies has it....

Hollywood is now under pressure to develop both beautiful Special effects and an engaging storylines.

They are toooo expensive to make, to miss those point these days...

db

* and with Valerian - there is no story line to spoil - just nice eye candy. If they could selected the -right- chemistry actors, It might have been a blockbuster. sadly they didn't...

Funny thing is that Besson made out like gangbusters on that movie regardless of the box office because he pre sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
Appreciate all the opinions on Chappie, Ender's Game and Valerian... including the less positive ones. Keep em comin folks.

I just checked Crackle, TRC, Tubi, Vudu and YouTube. And none of these movies are available for free streaming w/ads at the moment. I think my library has all the above though, including Blade Runner 2049, on DVD at least, so I can save my money for now.

If I like one of the above alot, then I might consider trying to snag the BD on Black Friday, if it's really cheap. But otherwise probably not... There just aren't enuf Benjis in the ADU coffers right now.

I wasn't really planning to give Ender's Game a look. I thought that movie was supposed to be sort of a big deal when it came out. And then it seemed to fizzle. But based on some of the comments here, I think I might give it a try. The others are all on my "when I can get to it" list.
rezzy likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-16-2019 at 03:28 PM.
post #183 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

2017's Beyond Skyline is another one that I want to check out, based on both the trailer and word of mouth from some here (you know who you are).

Neither my library nor the free streaming svcs have this at the moment. I saw the first Skyline some time ago. And remember enjoying some of the crazy creature FX, event though the story was a bit weak. So I think I might enjoy this one. Supposedly it's alot better than the first movie.

Feel free to give it a yeah or nay, if you've seen it.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-16-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Re spoilers... Some get upset here if you don't use em. I use them from time to time, esp. on recent movies, and older movies that I think some here may not have seen. But I'm not super-picky about others using them, esp. if most here have already seen the movie. If I don't want to know something, I'll just stop reading, spoilers or not. And if it's a choice between a good discussion and spoilers,... I'll take the discussion.

If you're talking about a movie that most here may not seen though, then it's probably not such a bad thing to do as a courtesy to some others. Or to at least give a "spoilers ahead" warning. My 2c fwiw.

ADU
post #185 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

This is also on my "when I can get to it" list: The Recall, with Wesley Snipes. This also came out to not much fanfare in 2017. One of its claims to fame is it was (partly?) produced in the Barco Escape surround format, an immersive 270-degree, multi-projector, panoramic theater format similar to Cinerama, with 11.1 sound.

ADU
post #186 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Appreciate all the opinions on Chappie, Ender's Game and Valerian... including the less positive ones. Keep em comin folks.

I just checked Crackle, TRC, Tubi, Vudu and YouTube. And none of these movies are available for free streaming w/ads at the moment. I think my library has all the above though, including Blade Runner 2049, on DVD at least, so I can save my money for now.

If I like one of the above alot, then I might consider trying to snag the BD on Black Friday, if it's really cheap. But otherwise probably not... There just aren't enuf Benjis in the ADU coffers right now.

I wasn't really planning to give Ender's Game a look. I thought that movie was supposed to be sort of a big deal when it came out. And then it seemed to fizzle. But based on some of the comments here, I think I might give it a try. The others are all on my "when I can get to it" list.
In regards to Ender's Game, since you know nothing about it, I would recommend finding a 25 cent paperback and giving it a read first, written by Orson Scott Card. Though kids are in it, it is not a kids book per say. A Nebula winner, then watch the movie.
ADU likes this.
post #187 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
In regards to Ender's Game, since you know nothing about it, I would recommend finding a 25 cent paperback and giving it a read first, written by Orson Scott Card. Though kids are in it, it is not a kids book per say. A Nebula winner, then watch the movie.
Haven't read the book. And regrettably, probably will not have time to before watching the movie. But I've been aware of it (and its reputation) for a long time because the cover was illustrated by one of my favorite fantasy artists, namely John Harris...

http://www.alisoneldred.com/imageJoh...ts-2-2057.html

(Use the arrows in the upper left, or thumbnail pages on the upper right to switch to other images.)

He does alot of nice spaceships, landscapes and other stuff. If you like this kind of thing, his SF art is somewhat reminiscent of another well-known fantasy artist/illustrator named John Berkey.

Chris Foss is another good one. He does some very trippy spaceships, robots and what-have-you. Sorta like the kind of thing you'd see in Heavy Metal.

https://arthive.com/res/media/img/or...503/142829.jpg

https://chrisfossart.myshopify.com/c...s/fine-art-all
shivaji and RobKnapp like this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-16-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #188 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Haven't seen this one either. Or Battle: LA, for that matter. Both of these have been on the free streaming svcs though.

ADU
post #189 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4811 Post(s)
Liked: 6454
Quote:

I personally love Enders Game. Good story, really important message. Did you like Starship Troopers or Falling Down? (Not that these movies are similar at all).
rezzy and ADU like this.
post #190 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Ender's Game

This is one movie that I would really recommend reading the book before seeing it. A lot of scenes make more sense if you have the background. The movie definitely not a kid's movie if you read the book.

ADU, shivaji and RobKnapp like this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #191 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've found a real sci-fi pearl on Youtube - Dust channel. I really like short films and their clips have a great idea in many cases - it's really worth watching.
ADU and RobKnapp like this.
post #192 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I personally love Enders Game. Good story, really important message. Did you like Starship Troopers or Falling Down? (Not that these movies are similar at all).
Haven't seen Falling Down. I assume you mean the Joel Schumacher film with Mike Douglas.

Starship Troopers is pretty over-the-top. I'm not really that into all the violence and gore. But I enjoy some of the movie's campier qualities, and SF action scenes. And some of the actors in the film, like Denise Richards. So yes, I will definitely watch it for some of those things, if there's nothing better available.

Dunno if this is what you're driving at, but I don't generally watch SF movies, or horror flicks for the violence. I actually find the high levels of violence in alot of recent movies a bit of a turn-off. What I mainly watch them for are the imaginative ideas, visuals, stories and characters, the action, and the escapism. And the hot space babes, if there are any.
RobKnapp likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-16-2019 at 11:55 PM.
post #193 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaeree View Post
I've found a real sci-fi pearl on Youtube - Dust channel. I really like short films and their clips have a great idea in many cases - it's really worth watching.
Looks like some fun stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.

ADU
post #194 of 360 Old 07-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
Haven't seen Falling Down. I assume you mean the Joel Schumacher film with Mike Douglas.

Starship Troopers is pretty over-the-top. I'm not really that into all the violence and gore. But I enjoy some of the movie's campier qualities, and SF action scenes. And some of the actors in the film, like Denise Richards. So yes, I will definitely watch it for some of those things, if there's nothing better available.

I don't know if this is what you're driving at, but I don't generally watch SF movies, or horror flicks for the violence. I actually find the high levels of violence in alot of recent movies a bit of a turn-off. What I mainly watch them for are the imaginative ideas, visuals, stories and characters, the action, and the escapism. And the hot space babes, if there are any.
Starship Troopers Hot Space Babe's

Loved DENISE RICHARDS

Even better Space Babe Dina Meyer

ADU, shivaji and Tack like this.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #195 of 360 Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Say, ya know what goes perfectly with hot SF babes?... Hot SF cars, of course! If any of you are in the LA area before May 2020, might want to swing by the Petersen Auto Museum, and check some of these out.

https://www.petersen.org/hollywood-dream-machines
https://www.petersen.org/hollywood

Looks like they have some fun vintage, racing and specialty cars as well.

https://www.petersen.org/exhibitions
https://www.petersen.org/1886-1916-on-display - some oldies but goodies
https://www.petersen.org/1917-1947-on-display
https://www.petersen.org/1948-1978-on-display

Kinda like visiting Jay's garage.

While you're there, ya might also want to check out the La Brea Tar Pits and LA County Museum of Art across the street. I believe all the above are pretty reasonably priced. I think the general collection at LACMA was free the last time I went. And they were only charging for the special exhibits.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-17-2019 at 12:54 AM.
post #196 of 360 Old 07-17-2019, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I watched Valerian last night, liked it well enough. The movie it most reminded me of was Solo - both movies with aliens where the title character bounces from one set piece to the next in the service of some sort of treasure hunt. Thought Valerian was much better though. The girl was great and Valerian grew on me a bit as it went along.

jeff
ADU, shivaji and Tack like this.
post #197 of 360 Old 07-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Dunno if this is what you're driving at, but I don't generally watch SF movies, or horror flicks for the violence. I actually find the high levels of violence in alot of recent movies a bit of a turn-off. What I mainly watch them for are the imaginative ideas, visuals, stories and characters, the action, and the escapism. And the hot space babes, if there are any.
There is a movie within a movie with ST. Paul Verhoeven basically lampoons the Heinlein book it's "based" on. It's one big inside joke and it's brilliantly done, similar to Inglorious Basterds. It was also a pretty scary prediction of the 2000's post 911. I wont get political here, but try watching it again with a different eye.

The common thread is that we may be wrong sometimes about who the "good guys" are. Enders and Falling Down let you off the hook a little, whereas ST and IB are basically laughing at the audience every time they cheer for our heroes.
archiguy, ADU and RobKnapp like this.
post #198 of 360 Old 07-17-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post
I watched Valerian last night, liked it well enough. The movie it most reminded me of was Solo - both movies with aliens where the title character bounces from one set piece to the next in the service of some sort of treasure hunt. Thought Valerian was much better though. The girl was great and Valerian grew on me a bit as it went along.

jeff

Yeah, me too. It's got a good heart also, which is pretty rare anymore.
ADU likes this.
post #199 of 360 Old 07-17-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaeree View Post

Love dust. Lots of too weird stuff there but also so much great stuff too.

ADU and RobKnapp like this.
post #200 of 360 Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 3455
This looks interesting..
Another Life - Katee Sackhoff | Official Trailer | Netflix
ADU, Tack, gprace and 1 others like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #201 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
There is a movie within a movie with ST. Paul Verhoeven basically lampoons the Heinlein book it's "based" on. It's one big inside joke and it's brilliantly done, similar to Inglorious Basterds. It was also a pretty scary prediction of the 2000's post 911. I wont get political here, but try watching it again with a different eye.

The common thread is that we may be wrong sometimes about who the "good guys" are. Enders and Falling Down let you off the hook a little, whereas ST and IB are basically laughing at the audience every time they cheer for our heroes.
Can't remember if I ever read Heinlein's book. It's been too long.

I understand that the movie is not meant to be taken at face value. But I'm not sure it was entirely successful in conveying what the director intended.

ADU
post #202 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post
The movie it most reminded me of was Solo
Also on my when-I-can-get-to-it list.

ADU
post #203 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also on my when-I-can-get-to-it list.
Solo got crapped on a lot but IMHO it's a fun, solid movie if maybe a little goofy. This isn't the cocksure, jaded Han Solo from the Original Trilogy - this is a kid who's a little wide eyed and making it up as he goes along.

It sets up for a truly awesome sequel at the end which we will never see.
ADU likes this.
post #204 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked: 3338
Quote:
Can't remember if I ever read Heinlein's book. It's been too long.
Paul Verhoeven allegedly only got halfway through the book and threw it in the trash. The movie is a direct parody of all the military jingoism that Heinlein took very seriously.
ADU likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #205 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked: 3338
Quote:
I wasn't really planning to give Ender's Game a look. I thought that movie was supposed to be sort of a big deal when it came out. And then it seemed to fizzle. But based on some of the comments here, I think I might give it a try.
Ender's Game is complicated. The book is very good, excellent even. It's rightly an SF classic. Unfortunately, the author turned out to be a total piece of garbage human being in his later years, which makes a lot of people (myself included) not want to support anything that puts money in his pocket. But the book was written before he went schizo and none of his current hateful views are reflected in it.

When the movie went into production, a number of groups protested it over Orson Scott Card, who was listed as Executive Producer. The filmmakers tried to distance themselves from him and claimed that the credit was basically just honorary and he had no involvement with the scripting or filming. Still, he got paid a lot of money for the rights.

As an adaptation of the book, the movie itself is... fine. It hits most of the plot points. It's well made. The performances and the VFX are good. But something about it falls a little flat.

The movie aged-up most of the characters, who were between 6-12 in the book but are teenagers in the film. That was mostly done for practical necessity. The book includes a lot of violence performed both to and by children, which would be very difficult to sell convincingly with child actors, get past a ratings board, or appeal to audiences. However, by making Ender a teenager, the movie misses a lot of the point of the story, which is that the children are being indoctrinated and exploited by the government and military before they hit an age where they’re capable of making decisions for themselves. That’s a major theme of the novel and it's mostly lost in the movie.
archiguy, ADU and Cheddarhead like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #206 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Weird. I found both the book and the movie to be pretty bland.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Slightly off topic here - anyone read Seven Eves? Did anyone have the same visceral hateful reaction to that book as I did? Man that book ticked me off.

post #207 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
As far as exploitation goes, true, but also, the humans were driven by a fear of annihilation. They also found that the adult mind could not compete in terms of speed of thought or in action against the enemy to win. So were willing to do whatever it took to insure survival. So, the battle school was created, with a very real belief that unless they did what they had to do, humanity would be wiped out. Those buggers were bad ass.
post #208 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Looks like some fun stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.
Actually I like also The iMom on Omeleto, it's about serious problems of a modern world.
post #209 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Paul Verhoeven allegedly only got halfway through the book and threw it in the trash. The movie is a direct parody of all the military jingoism that Heinlein took very seriously.
That is my understanding as well. And I stand by my previous comment that I'm not sure it was entirely successful in conveying what he intended.

I will also add that most SF works on multiple levels, as satire, or allegory, or metaphor, or some combination thereof, in addition to whatever's going on in a more literal sense. So Starship Troopers isn't especially unique in that regard.
RobKnapp likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-18-2019 at 11:16 AM.
post #210 of 360 Old 07-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
As far as exploitation goes, true, but also, the humans were driven by a fear of annihilation. They also found that the adult mind could not compete in terms of speed of thought or in action against the enemy to win. So were willing to do whatever it took to insure survival. So, the battle school was created, with a very real belief that unless they did what they had to do, humanity would be wiped out. Those buggers were bad ass.
Not only that:
Spoiler!
RobKnapp likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 07-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page