Most Overrated Films - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #31 of 150 Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 3203
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermike67 View Post
Shaun of the Dead .
You meant to put that in the Underrated films thread..
BruZZi and Ben23 like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 150 Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked: 3678
Why is Goonies on that list? Goonies is still fun to watch today. His reasons for it aging poorly are P.C. culture? Pshhhh.
Six Sense on the list? NO WAY. that movie was popular for a very good reason. He says its too simple of a twist and most people had it figured out after the first chapter. No way. Everyone I knew said they didn't catch the clues until the rewatch -- myself included.
The other one I can't agree with on his list is Ferris Bueller's day off. That's still fun to watch today in the same way it was back then.

You want a movie that's over-rated? How about Transformers Bumblebee.

---- or maybe it's just that we like the films from our youth?
Radio81 likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #33 of 150 Old 06-18-2019, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why is Goonies on that list? Goonies is still fun to watch today. His reasons for it aging poorly are P.C. culture? Pshhhh.
Six Sense on the list? NO WAY. that movie was popular for a very good reason. He says its too simple of a twist and most people had it figured out after the first chapter. No way. Everyone I knew said they didn't catch the clues until the rewatch -- myself included.
The other one I can't agree with on his list is Ferris Bueller's day off. That's still fun to watch today in the same way it was back then.

You want a movie that's over-rated? How about Transformers Bumblebee.

---- or maybe it's just that we like the films from our youth?
Ferris Bueller was influential, the last part of Deadpool was an FB joke.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 02:15 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
So is this the new 'let's poop on movies other people like' thread?... Ok, I'm in then! Need to vent a little. (Thank you to Art S.)

Agree with Blair Witch and Knocked Up (even though I like K. Heigl).

Ones I either haven't seen or don't remember (and consequently probably have no great desire to see (again?)) include...

The Notebook
The Big Lebowski
Napoleon Dynamite
Inception
Gravity
The Hangover
Cast Away
Black Panther
The Goonies
Mulholland Drive

ADU
post #35 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 02:15 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Ones I disagree with...

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The English Patient
Top Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Love Actually
Crash
Dead Poets Society
Field of Dreams
Braveheart
The Breakfast Club
Moulin Rouge!
The Sixth Sense
Annie Hall
Forrest Gump
Twilight
Shakespeare in Love
Citizen Kane

I didn't necessarily like all of the above (e.g. Avatar). But I don't think most of them were especially over-rated for what they were. Some of the above, such as Twilight, Top Gun, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, were just good schlocky/popcorn type movies. Others, such as Citizen Kane, A Clockwork Orange, and yes, even Avatar, were genuinely ground-breaking movies.

Some may not have aged as well as others. And you may or may not like some of them. But all are at least worth a look imo.
shivaji likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-19-2019 at 01:16 PM.
post #36 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 02:27 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
One for me, which will probably get me beaten up, is Blade Runner. I've watched it a few times, and I enjoy it well enough. But I don't get the almost legendary status it has amongst many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Someone mentioned Blade Runner. I agree.
I disagree. Do not judge by The Final Cut. Seeing this film in a theater in its initial release was a transcendent experience. You really felt like you were being pulled into a dark, gritty, dystopic futuristic world.
shivaji likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-19-2019 at 03:07 AM.
post #37 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Ill throw Blade runner in there as well. It wasnt bad, but I felt myself paying attention more to the soundtrack than the film itself.
post #38 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I think Get Out and Black Panther were both very fine films that I really enjoyed.

But I felt the fawning over them reached absurd levels that I fell for. I couldn't help being a bit disappointed in them when they didn't live up to the hype (which really, nothing could).

I understand the cultural significance, but in my case the histrionic praise didn't do the films any favors, which is a shame.

L + L = R
post #39 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 10:11 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post
Ill throw Blade runner in there as well. It wasnt bad, but I felt myself paying attention more to the soundtrack than the film itself.
Vangelis did a pretty nice score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnification View Post
You think that's bad wait until you hear mine. Mary Poppins the original
SACRILEGE! This was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

Haven't seen the new one, so can't comment on that.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-19-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #40 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 10:15 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
I think Get Out and Black Panther were both very fine films that I really enjoyed.

But I felt the fawning over them reached absurd levels that I fell for. I couldn't help being a bit disappointed in them when they didn't live up to the hype (which really, nothing could).

I understand the cultural significance, but in my case the histrionic praise didn't do the films any favors, which is a shame.
CG action flicks aren't generally my thing. I wouldn't mind seeing BP though at some point, after the hype has wound significantly down.

ADU
post #41 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
All but one "Best Picture" winner (Gladiator) of this century is overrated.
Loved this movie! And went back to see it a couple times in the theater when it was originally released. It has some weak points though imo. As much as I liked Crowe in this, I thought he did a better job in Master & Commander.

ADU
post #42 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7104 Post(s)
Liked: 15994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
I disagree. Do not judge by The Final Cut. Seeing this film in a theater in its initial release was a transcendent experience. You really felt like you were being pulled into a dark, gritty, dystopic futuristic world.
I didn't hate BR, but I didn't love it either. It is a good movie to put on if you have insomnia. As much as I love the Indiana Jones and Han Solo characters, Harrison Ford is a really boring actor.

post #43 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Something like Gravity has fine reviews but it is not far of being a gravity demo.
Most of the other films mentioned can depend on personal opinion. But is a fact that Gravity is overrated.

Bad science, bad physics, a heroine who's an incompetent basket case idiot who'd never get hired to run a lemonade stand let alone NASA, accomplishes everything by luck, and the typical feel good ending. If you want to see a good space film see Apollo 13. Even Space Cowboys as bad as it is is better than Gravity.
shivaji likes this.
post #44 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 3254
Can a moderator please rename this thread "Name a Great Movie and Then Crap All Over It" for clarity? Thanks a bunch!
ADU, shivaji and xpostal like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #45 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Pretty much anything in the MCU.
noob00224 likes this.
post #46 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Most of the other films mentioned can depend on personal opinion. But is a fact that Gravity is overrated.

Bad science, bad physics, a heroine who's an incompetent basket case idiot who'd never get hired to run a lemonade stand let alone NASA, accomplishes everything by luck, and the typical feel good ending. If you want to see a good space film see Apollo 13. Even Space Cowboys as bad as it is is better than Gravity.

Nice slam. Lol. I agree, don't forget it also puts out a continuous low bass rumble from the subwoofers, that in the end becomes annoying.
post #47 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Interesting people say Avatar. For quite a few years, it was the best looking image that one could display on their tv or screen, nothing else came close. Also a first rate surround sound presentation and still is. The disc also had a nice THX sound demo, after the credits, which was always a nice thrill to those sitting here watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHUJ...&frags=pl%2Cwn

I don't think the quality of the audio or video of the movie has anything to do with the quality of the film itself.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #48 of 150 Old 06-19-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 4703 Post(s)
Liked: 6280
Gravity was just once for me, but I probably watched the trailer 10 times. Great trailer.
shivaji likes this.
post #49 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 06:10 AM

Most Overrated Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Gravity was just once for me, but I probably watched the trailer 10 times. Great trailer.

Gravity at reference volume level with a competent Atmos audio system is still to this day, a top three A/V experience.

The other two IMO, would be Blade Runner 2049, and Spider-Man: Into the SpiderVerse.

These are not my three favorite movies overall, but man is the A/V experience amazing!!!

Everyone I’ve showed Gravity to on my system has said its incredible, and probably one of, if not their defining best cinema experiences.

You wouldn’t get that same reaction on a TV and a soundbar. The full A/V experience certainly can elevate the enjoyment of a particular movie.

(I’m not commenting on your system here. I don’t even know what it is. I’m just pointing out that Gravity has its place — Its perhaps the best cinema experience I’ve ever had and I’ll nearly always offer it as an option for guests...I’ve had no one express anything close to disappointment with it — from my showings)
ADU likes this.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 06-20-2019 at 07:22 AM.
post #50 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Gravity at reference volume level with a competent Atmos audio system is still to this day, a top three A/V experience.

The other two IMO, would be Blade Runner 2049, and Spider-Man: Into the SpiderVerse.

These are not my three favorite movies overall, but man is the A/V experience amazing!!!

Everyone I’ve showed Gravity to on my system has said its incredible, and probably one of, if not their defining best cinema experiences.

You wouldn’t get that same reaction on a TV and a soundbar. The full A/V experience certainly can elevate the enjoyment of a movie.

(I’m not commenting on your system here. I don’t even know what it is. I’m just pointing out that Gravity has its place — Its perhaps the best cinema experience I’ve ever had and I’ll nearly always offer it as an option for guests...I’ve had no one express anything close to disappointment with it — from my showings)
Well, after reading about your HT, yeah, that makes sense! You have 8 18" subwoofers??? I hope you don't have any loose fillings.
Panson likes this.
post #51 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You wouldn’t get that same reaction on a TV and a soundbar. The full A/V experience certainly can elevate the enjoyment of a particular movie.

I would imagine that Gravity, Inception, Black Panther, Avatar and maybe also Top Gun are great watches on a good HT system.
Panson likes this.

ADU
post #52 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
I would imagine that Gravity, Inception, Black Panther, Avatar and maybe also Top Gun are great watches on a good HT system.
But you can separate great watches on a good HT system from good movies. I saw plenty of amazing movies on a 20 inch TV. I have also seen countless in my theater that look and sound good but do not compare.

I do agree with a prior poster, just rename this to crap all over good movies list.

Of the original group from that article I will agree with one for now. Blair Witch, total crap and not scary. I was hoping the witch would get them sooner to end my misery of watching it. How many times can the girl scream Josh? Answer: too many.
ADU likes this.
post #53 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Ones I disagree with...

Twilight

I didn't necessarily like all of the above (e.g. Avatar). But I don't think most of them were especially over-rated for what they were. Some of the above, such as Twilight, Top Gun, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, were just good schlocky/popcorn type movies. Others, such as Citizen Kane, A Clockwork Orange, and yes, even Avatar, were genuinely ground-breaking movies.

Some may not have aged as well as others. And you may or may not like some of them. But all are at least worth a look imo.
I actually like the Twilight movies. I've watched the whole set a number of times. Being a pathetic romantic (which is easier when you don't have to deal with the reality of actual relationships) I get it. Of course my Kristen Stewart fetish may play into it somewhat as well.
ADU, shivaji and tenthplanet like this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #54 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kubrick's 'The Shinning' is overrated.

post #55 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Those are all reasons why it is not realistic but that has no bearing on whether it is a good movie or not.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #56 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 03:14 PM

Most Overrated Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
...don't forget it also puts out a continuous low bass rumble from the subwoofers, that in the end becomes annoying.

Ummm

No

You need to revisit your subwoofer configuration/calibration. The LFE track in Gravity is pretty amazing. Heck the whole film soundtrack is pretty much as good as it gets. Incredible dynamics, emotional compositions, strong use of LFE (filtered below 20Hz — but hey that’s better than filtered at 30Hz) to instill fear and emotion...

Maybe it’s not realistic — but still a treat to listen to. I’ll play the dynamic orchestra intro to Gravity at reference and I dare you not to get goosebumps!

Last edited by Archaea; 06-20-2019 at 03:24 PM.
post #57 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
It is actually a sort of B (horror) movie. Still it is in Kubrick capable hands with Kubrick and Nicholson at their peak..pretty much untouchable..
post #58 of 150 Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
It is actually a sort of B (horror) movie. Still it is in Kubrick capable hands with Kubrick and Nicholson at their peak..pretty much untouchable..
Nicholson carried the movie. But Nicholson's real peak was The Joker in Batman.

post #59 of 150 Old 06-21-2019, 12:59 PM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

elbaviecnocni
Tack likes this.
post #60 of 150 Old 06-21-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4703 Post(s)
Liked: 6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post
elbaviecnocni

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
shivaji and tenthplanet like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page