Has the Electric Guitar taken a backseat in todays music? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

Old 07-07-2019, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 4259
Thumbs up Has the Electric Guitar taken a backseat in todays music?

Today many modern artists have an increasing preference for electronic instrumentation. There is a feeling that the Electric Guitar has gone as far as it can and Electric composition is unlimited. Songwriting software can do some excellent work. However can a synthesized guitar equal a Clapton, Hendrix or Duane Allman? The human creativity. Your thoughts and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Why just guitar? Any synthesized instrument (or voice) lacks the artist's talent, mood, emotion, expression and the actual uniqueness of each individual instrument itself.
pjp, Class A, Scotth3886 and 4 others like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Old 07-07-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
I don't see it done for. I see great talent emerging all the time. Nobody will ever be able to compete with our sentimental memories of course, but look at someone like Marcus King, only about 21 years old and on the path to be one of those greats. Ever heard of Billy Strings, incredible talent.

I believe there are may be more electric and acoustic guitar players now than there ever was. A greater field for top talent to emerge. Will there be another 'ground breaking' player, that does something totally different? It gets harder as so much ground has now been broken.

One interesting thing about the changes in music business, with all the streaming and ease of recording, the only way to make money is to perform live. Those talented performers will be rewarded. In the past, anybody could slap a studio hit together and make big money.
CruelInventions and dfa973 like this.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 07-07-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Today many modern artists have an increasing preference for electronic instrumentation. There is a feeling that the Electric Guitar has gone as far as it can and Electric composition is unlimited. Songwriting software can do some excellent work. However can a synthesized guitar equal a Clapton, Hendrix or Duane Allman? The human creativity. Your thoughts and opinions.
I don’t think that a synth guitar will ever replace an actual musicians playing stringed guitars at least not with any past or future blues artist. Tonality which is the signature of any guitarist. Instantly recognized upon the 1st few notes played.

The enjoyment of listening to a tight band perform. Where each band member adds there own creativity to a song. Which combines to produce a journey from the beginning to the end of the song.
dfa973 and mik2h like this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
Old 07-07-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
There basically is acoustic and there is electric. All electric (guitar) stuff is synthe-ish, meaning unnatural artificial sound, at its core. I know people who do not listen to any electric stuff for that reason. Some electric guitarists use a electric raw sound and some use sort of artificial electric sound, it about more or less with obvious artificial sound being a bit more extreme. Allan Holdsworth*, one of the great player ever, plenty of great guitarists admire him, is a pioneer of synthe guitar. After listing to some of that stuff Mclaughlin also made records with synthe sound claiming it gave lots more freedom of expression.

*He became associated with playing an early form of guitar synthesizer called the SynthAxe , a company he endorsed in the 1980s.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The popularity and availability of the garbage music made by lesser talented musicians is only a reflection of the how the population has become more homogenous these last couple of generations. When millennials only care about what's happening on social media and "opinion" based journalism, you can't expect serious talent and quality to prevail. They see that same mentality in the music, lazy, familiar, packaged... it speaks to them on their level. Guitarists are out there, they are just not taken as seriously or given the attention they deserve due to the current mass consumption of recycled and regurgitated music the industry pumps out because they keep making money on it. Almost every new song I hear, has pieces parts or chords from other popular songs from the past in them. When newer listeners hear this, they don't recognize the origins because they never experienced it. The same culture raised on movie remakes and cheap knock offs of products that were once revolutionary. "Modern" generations of people are passive, ambiguous, artificially diversified to the point where nothing can excite you, trigger natural responses or even address the laws of nature without being seen as too hostile or prejudice. The music reflects this and electric guitars challenge that warm and fuzzy comfort of staying in your mother's womb forever. When bands have to resort to using banjo's to get attention you know the industry is upside down.

Last edited by wookiegr; 07-07-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
There basically is acoustic and there is electric. All electric (guitar) stuff is synthe-ish, meaning unnatural artificial sound, at its core. I know people who do not listen to any electric stuff for that reason. Some electric guitarists use a electric raw sound and some use sort of artificial electric sound, it about more or less with obvious artificial sound being a bit more extreme. .
But it's still a guitar and the artist's two hands making music.
d-rail34 and drh3b like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I guess that depends on what you mean by today's music. If you're referring to the top 40, and modern radio hits then sure guitar isn't a major player. But that's simply because guitar isn't a featured instrument in the genres that are popular like pop, rap, and electronic. Guitar is normally a staple of rock music, which isn't the popular genre it once was.

If you take "today's music" simply to mean music being made today, then no, guitar most certainly has not taken a backseat. There are hundreds of bands all over the world constantly releasing new albums with wonderful guitar work. They're just not in the spotlight. He's not going to play Wembley stadium, but nothing is stopping your from going to see Isaiah Mitchell for example.

DanPackMan and SuperFist like this.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
But it's still a guitar and the artist's two hands making music.
I do not know about that. A guy like Pat Metheny has a horrible taste when it comes to sound. Robert Fripp has very limited sound scope. Not even speaking of Carlos Santana who tends to use a overly emotional sound (just like Metheny btw who was introduced by Santana on the world stage). When i listen to guitarists i always pay attention to sound, skill only is not enough for me.

btw for me the best raw sound Peter Green in the sixties. The Green Manalishi skill and sound top notch .
Old 07-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I do not know about that. .
What's not to know about?
A real guitar and a human.
Whether you care for their "style" is not relevant when comparing to a "synthesized" artist/instrument.

Alvin Lee
Jimmy Page
Leslie West
George Harrison
James Taylor
Paul Simon

Tough to synthesize/copy IMO.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
A guy like Pat Metheny has a horrible taste when it comes to sound. Robert Fripp has very limited sound scope.
What?

In the audiophile world, ignorance truly is bliss. Save your money.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
However can a synthesized guitar equal a Clapton, Hendrix or Duane Allman?
No.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Put 4 Guitar players behind a curtain I'm sure most would know which one was BB King.
Scotth3886 likes this.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Guitar sales have been steady, so people are playing even if no one is listening. There is a huge underground guitar audience on YouTube. The most skilled guitarists ever are among today's artists (Guthrie Govan, Buckethead, Tosin Abasi, John Petrucci, etc.). And IMO, the best guitar album in the last thirty years was released in 2016 (Nick Johnston's Remarkably Human).

I doubt guitars will ever return to prominence in pop music. The attention span isn't there for anything but a simple beat. All the monotonous singing shows have made vocals the focus. And rap made it acceptable to create music using no musical talent. But even the synthetically created music in pop music is pretty simplistic.

The trouble with synthetically created music is that it sounds - fake. Maybe it's because I play guitar, but when I hear something that's obviously been enhanced or programmed it just doesn't sound right. It doesn't sound - human. It has no variance. It has no feel.

With today's guitar modeling, plug-ins and effects, you can pretty much make a guitar sound like anything, however you're still limited by the player's skill. It will be a long time before all the techniques of the electric guitar can be accurately programmed. It could be done, but it will be a massive undertaking.
natchie and Todd G. like this.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 373
So, the original question: Has the electric guitar taken a backseat in today's music?

While the question might pertain to today's "popular", radio-friendly stuff, but not the music I listen to and have been listening to for the past 25+ years. And these guys (see photos) are still creating/recording/performing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4389.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2588546   Click image for larger version

Name:	steve-vai-wallpapers-hd-73229-3621168.png.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	2588548   Click image for larger version

Name:	bca6c098-0e49-4d77-8abf-3649262d04c6-ibosingasatriani.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2588550   Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	2588552  

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
Old 07-07-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase View Post
What?
LOL i worked at a bar when i was young. Put on some Pat Metheny music once. A girl asked me to turn that music off it made her feel very uncomfortable she looked like throwing up...she left since i did not turn it off, it was totaly sound related.

Shurely there is not lots going on sound wise in the Fripp universe. Why do you think they put Belew next to him
Old 07-07-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
Every time Gary Clark comes to town I go, probably 5 times now. In the context of music streaming or otherwise possibly. In a live venue certainly not and never will. It can't compete with human emotion of a guitar player versus someone clicking a mouse or pushing a button.

Back to Gary Clark Ive been impressed with the sound in the different venue's, all on the smaller side. A few tend to f the sound up. He apparently doesn't go for that because 2 places Ive cringed repeatedly it was spot on. Highly recommend if you get a chance
DanPackMan and Todd G. like this.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
Old 07-07-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Put 4 Guitar players behind a curtain I'm sure most would know which one was BB King.
BB King is dead. 2015 he left the building
Old 07-07-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's not to know about?
A real guitar and a human.
Whether you care for their "style" is not relevant when comparing to a "synthesized" artist/instrument.

Alvin Lee
Jimmy Page
Leslie West
George Harrison
James Taylor
Paul Simon

Tough to synthesize/copy IMO.
That is not what my post is about. It is about Guitarists skills/talent and the sound they use.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
BB King is dead. 2015 he left the building
I know I was just commenting on his unique style.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Why just guitar? Any synthesized instrument (or voice) lacks the artist's talent, mood, emotion, expression and the actual uniqueness of each individual instrument itself.

That's not how it works, thou. Musicians/Producers will know what sound they're going for and will then try to find out how they can get that sound without exceeding budget limitations. So if you wanna have a beautiful guitar solo in your track you'll rather think about asking Steve Vai for a feature instead of thinking how to program that in a synth (unless it's just for a quick demo).

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
Old 07-07-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
LOL i worked at a bar when i was young. Put on some Pat Metheny music once. A girl asked me to turn that music off it made her feel very uncomfortable she looked like throwing up...she left since i did not turn it off, it was totaly sound related.
Find another girl.

Quote:
Shurely there is not lots going on sound wise in the Fripp universe. Why do you think they put Belew next to him
Belew was fired.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase View Post
Find another girl.
That was a girl who visited the bar. I like Bright Size Of Life were Metheny uses a more simple sound. I also saw him live was Pat Metheny Group/As Witchita Falls.../Offramp tracks related was a nice concert.There are sounds though he uses also on thes records which are overly emotional...very unpleasant at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase
Belew was fired.
Whatever Belew is a guy with versatily guitar sound which he handles like a boss, Fripp is not
Old 07-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
That is not what my post is about. It is about Guitarists skills/talent and the sound they use.
That's all well and good.... but the thread is about "real guitars and the musician" vs. "synthesized". Not a personal like/dislike of a particular artist.
Out-Of-Phase likes this.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
That was a girl who visited the bar. I like Bright Size Of Life were Metheny uses a more simple sound. I also saw him live was Pat Metheny Group/As Witchita Falls.../Offramp tracks related was a nice concert.There are sounds though he uses also on thes records which are overly emotional...very unpleasant at times.

Whatever Belew is a guy with versatily guitar sound which he handles like a boss, Fripp is not
Well maybe there's hope. Maybe these guys will start using synths.

And I met that girl from the bar that night. She told me she got sick on the cheap booze rather than the music and she also hated your red hat. You won't see her again.

Last edited by Out-Of-Phase; 07-07-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
The electric guitar survived Disco.
Scotth3886 likes this.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

Electric guitar had been taken a back seat for a long time. E guitar was in full glory in the late 60s to early 70s and has be in the background since with occasionally one or two broke through like Van Halen.

Why do I know? Because I was a guitarist, quite good at that in the 70s standard. But towards the late 70s, I was really going nowhere. I cannot sing, I don't have talent in song writing ( because I cannot sing). That was pretty much the end of the road. Yes, I could play in clubs and all, but that's not a way to have as a career. Luckily in the process of modifying my guitar amp, I found my new passion much more over music......Electronics. Had a full career, and even now that I am retired, I still design amps as hobby.

Here is a recording of a street jam in 1978 where I played the guitar. It was recorded by a small hand held cassette recorder only. Sound quality was really low, but I quit not long after that and was my last tape.

Guitar playing advanced a lot, judge my playing with the standard in the 70s.

Since I retired, I actually designed a noise cancellation circuit that I got a US Patent in 2014. This is a demo of my invention:

I turned my guitar playing into electronics.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

Last edited by alan0354; 07-07-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3748 Post(s)
Liked: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
The electric guitar survived Disco.

Now, we'll see if it can survive EDM
Old 07-07-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
I was going to insert this gif into the power cord thread only to find it had closed before I could do so. Doh! So, please disregard this post, just practicing my gif insertions. Nothing to see here. I see I still need to practice.

on another note, I have been rewatching Californication on Netflix, when Dear Mr. Fantasy started playing, always loved that song. Stevie Winwood can play a mean guitar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	19
Size:	5.27 MB
ID:	2588578  
natchie and Scotth3886 like this.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
The comments on the second video are gold.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement