1917 (2019) Richard Madden | Benedict Cumberbatch | Mark Strong | Andrew Scott

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  TitusTroy 
#1 · (Edited)
IMDB
25 December 2019 (USA)
Two young British soldiers during the First World
War, are given an impossible mission: deliver a message,
deep in enemy territory, that will stop their own men, and
Blake's own brother, from walking straight into a deadly trap.

See less See more
2 1
#5 ·
See this on a Imax screen. Loved it start to finish. I'll be going again before it hits home video.

It is slow at the beginning but is a marvelous piece of cinema. Brutal and visceral depiction of WW1. Everything I wished Dunkirk was, I enjoyed it more on several fronts.

Go see it, Go see it!!

#6 ·
Thanks for you review, how was the picture and sound quality?

Can't wait to see this movie!

#11 ·
Re WWI, Paths of Glory (1957), The Lost Battalion (2001) are must-sees.

Reactions: DD/DTS
#10 ·
I saw it in BigD, sound and visual were good. Not awe inspiring but I've never been overtly impressed there and I don't see but 1 or 2 a year. I have a better baseline in my HT. imax is more immersive and plays to this.

Does kind of parallel Gallipoli.

Infantry had no choice but to run head on into Field Gun fire with caution to the wind. Part of the brutality of that war along with Trench warfare.

#13 · (Edited)
The expectations I had for this movie were similar to the ones I had for "Dunkirk", but my disappointment was considerably greater than it was for that movie. What I thought would be a poignant and gritty war flick turned out to be a series of mostly bland vignettes. There's nothing in this movie (or in "Dunkirk") that "Saving Private Ryan" didn't do better.

#16 ·
I finally got around to watching the UHD earlier tonight...I liked the movie a lot...more then the movie I actually thought the visuals and cinematography were the real stars...the Special Feature on the UHD detailing the filming techniques blew me away...the way they filmed sequences to maintain the 1 shot illusion was stunning-- started off with 1 camera attached to a crane, handed it off to another person on foot, then attached it to a moving truck etc...this is movie making at its finest- when you're attempting groundbreaking new techniques

Arri actually built a new camera and 1917 was the first production to ever use it which is always a cool thing...the filming of the nighttime sequence with Roger Deakins detailing all the lighting techniques was seeing a true master at work

movie gets a B+ but the cinematography gets an A which averages out to an overall grade of A-

4K/Dolby Vision has a very natural, earthy look to it...not an HDR showcase but overall it's a stunning looking disc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.