AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/)
-   -   Top 10 Led Zeppelin songs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/3104388-top-10-led-zeppelin-songs.html)

eljaycanuck 11-23-2019 07:25 PM

Top 10 Led Zeppelin songs

I'm curious to know which songs make the "top 10" list of most Zep fans. If you do chime in, please restrict yourselves to your top 10 songs - not top 15 and/or favourite albums and/or best concert(s) and/or ...

Thanks. :)

My top 10:
- Ramble On
- No Quarter
- Nobody's Fault But Mine
- When the Levee Breaks
- Bring It On Home
- Dazed and Confused
- In the Evening
- The Rain Song
- Stairway to Heaven
- Custard Pie

tenthplanet 11-23-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljaycanuck (Post 58864266)
I'm curious to know which songs make the "top 10" list of most Zep fans. If you do chime in, please restrict yourselves to your top 10 songs - not top 15 and/or favourite albums and/or best concert(s) and/or ...

My top 10:
- Ramble On
- No Quarter
- When the Levee Breaks
- Bring It On Home
- Dazed and Confused
- In the Evening
- The Rain Song
- Stairway to Heaven
- Custard Pie

I like the ten you picked :)..I'll go hide in the bunker now. :D

Tack 11-24-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljaycanuck (Post 58864266)

My top 10:
- Ramble On
- No Quarter
- When the Levee Breaks
- Bring It On Home
- Dazed and Confused
- In the Evening
- The Rain Song
- Stairway to Heaven
- Custard Pie

Good list, can't really go wrong here. Mine would be similar, maybe I'd bump Stairway and Dazed for The Lemon Song and In The Light.

Gorilla Killa 11-24-2019 12:57 PM

I don't see Kashmir or the Immigrant Song, "Come on, Man":)

jcmccorm 11-24-2019 01:23 PM

"Going to California", "Whole Lotta Love". Get with it man! :)

SmittyJS 11-24-2019 03:43 PM

1. Stairway To Heaven
  2. Over the Hills and Far Away
  3. Whole Lotta Love
  4. Black Dog
  5. The Ocean

... even though Zeppelin was always my favorite band, after the first five the rest fall a step or more below, and these five are the only ones I have any desire at all to play on guitar. Each of these has a unique, timeless and immediately identifiable main riff. I also think Stairway To Heaven is easily the best song ever written. It's build-up from start to finish is unequaled. And the solo is one of the best in the history of rock. That song is one of the reasons I took up guitar.

Tack 11-24-2019 06:47 PM

The hard truth is that there is probably 30 - 40 of their songs that are properly top ten material. Some years back I decided to make it easier on myself and allow more than ten songs into my top ten. I do the same with movies. There are probably fifteen bands that I just can't cull some of their songs out of the "Top Ten".

When it comes to songs like Kashmir, Stairway, Whole Lotta Love, et al, being of a certain age and listening to years of "Classic Rock", some of these are just played out (for me). It's unfair, but that's why it's good to have a top ten of 30 or so. I'll never forget circa 1974 at my sisters house in Pismo Beach, slipping on those headphones, and listening to Heartbreaker/Living Loving for the first time. Having older brothers and sisters, I was already blessed with The Beatles and everything else from the sixties / early seventies. But this was .... This was something else. Life changing is probably too dramatic, but Got Damn. That said, it's not often that I will select it/them for a playlist.

Similarly, when I queue Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream into Foobar, more times than not I cull Cherub Rock from the playlist, even though that was THE song that pulled me into the band. Saturday Night Live, it was the sound that I had been searching for without realizing it. So I'll drop the song from the playlist, but there's no way in hell I would categorize it anything less than "Top Ten".

PlanetAVS 11-24-2019 07:02 PM

My list is tilted towards B Tracks, probably due to overexposure.

Since I've Been Loving You
Rock and Roll (Song Remains The Same film version)
The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair
Somethin' Else
Traveling Riverside Blues
Lemon Song
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Over The Hills and Far Away
Hot Dog
Stairway To Heaven

jcmccorm 11-25-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tack (Post 58868538)
The hard truth is that there is probably 30 - 40 of their songs that are properly top ten material. Some years back I decided to make it easier on myself and allow more than ten songs into my top ten. I do the same with movies. There are probably fifteen bands that I just can't cull some of their songs out of the "Top Ten".

When it comes to songs like Kashmir, Stairway, Whole Lotta Love, et al, being of a certain age and listening to years of "Classic Rock", some of these are just played out (for me). It's unfair, but that's why it's good to have a top ten of 30 or so. I'll never forget circa 1974 at my sisters house in Pismo Beach, slipping on those headphones, and listening to Heartbreaker/Living Loving for the first time. Having older brothers and sisters, I was already blessed with The Beatles and everything else from the sixties / early seventies. But this was .... This was something else. Life changing is probably too dramatic, but Got Damn. That said, it's not often that I will select it/them for a playlist.

Similarly, when I queue Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream into Foobar, more times than not I cull Cherub Rock from the playlist, even though that was THE song that pulled me into the band. Saturday Night Live, it was the sound that I had been searching for without realizing it. So I'll drop the song from the playlist, but there's no way in hell I would categorize it anything less than "Top Ten".

Well said and understood. "Stairway to Heaven" is definitely played out for me. But it's still a fantastic song.

One of my "go to" bands to listen to is Marcy Playground. Love their stuff. I always skip past "Sex and Candy" though. Great song, just heard it too many times.

Ben23 11-25-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

You painted such a nice picture here! I am not as old, but I agree with your sentiment 100%.

My 10 (not in order):

In My Time of Dying
Ramble On
Tangerine
Going to California
When the Levee Breaks
Over the Hills and Far Away
The Ocean
Kashmir
The Rover
Hey Hey What Can I Do

Panson 11-25-2019 01:57 PM

The ones that weren't recorded? ;)

DanPackMan 11-25-2019 08:22 PM

I've always felt that "In My Time of Dying" is one of the best interpreted & performed covers ever recorded.

Tack 11-25-2019 10:01 PM

Agreed, amazing what soul could emanate from some kid from Heston. Similarly the Stone's "You Gotta Move", although Mississippi Fred's was still subjectively better.

tenthplanet 11-26-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panson (Post 58872246)
The ones that weren't recorded? ;)

Shhhhh :D

MRAYB 11-26-2019 02:31 AM

Custard Pie
Gallows Pole
Hats Off To Roy Harper
Black Mountain Side

See The Light 11-26-2019 11:43 PM

My Top 10 Led Zeppelin songs from Official releases, that I like to listen to, today...

• FOUR STICKS --- IV
  • GOOD TIMES, BAD TIMES --- LZ I
  • WE'RE GONNA GROOVE --- CODA
  • THE ROVER --- PHYSICAL GRAFFITI
  • KASHMIR --- O2 CONCERT (CELEBRATION DAY)
  • NO QUARTER --- THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME
  • IN MY TIME OF DYING --- O2 CONCERT (CELEBRATION DAY)
  • SINCE I'VE BEEN LOVING YOU --- THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME
  • THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME --- THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME
  • OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY --- THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME

CruelInventions 12-13-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

When it comes to songs like Kashmir, Stairway, Whole Lotta Love, et al, being of a certain age and listening to years of "Classic Rock", some of these are just played out (for me). It's unfair, but that's why it's good to have a top ten of 30 or so. .......

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmccorm (Post 58870198)
Well said and understood. "Stairway to Heaven" is definitely played out for me. But it's still a fantastic song....

For me, bands like Led Zeppelin, I rarely have a desire to break out their music for a listen. Overplayed? no longer "speaks to me" as much? I can't say for sure why, exactly.

But what's weird is I've found myself sucked into this youtube world of "reactors". People who haven't heard the "foundational" rock bands before, like Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, ACDC, Rolling Stones, etc., etc., and they're listening for the very first time. They may recognize the band name, know one or two songs or at least a riff from one or two classic rock songs. But that's about it.

I'm embarrassed to say, I can't get enough. And my interest in watching these reactors is almost exclusively in regards to those bands like Led Zeppelin, who I don't get the urge to listen to of my own accord much anymore.

jcmccorm 12-14-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruelInventions (Post 58955490)
For me, bands like Led Zeppelin, I rarely have a desire to break out their music for a listen. Overplayed? no longer "speaks to me" as much? I can't say for sure why, exactly.

But what's weird is I've found myself sucked into this youtube world of "reactors". People who haven't heard the "foundational" rock bands before, like Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, ACDC, Rolling Stones, etc., etc., and they're listening for the very first time. They may recognize the band name, know one or two songs or at least a riff from one or two classic rock songs. But that's about it.

I'm embarrassed to say, I can't get enough. And my interest in watching these reactors is almost exclusively in regards to those bands like Led Zeppelin, who I don't get the urge to listen to of my own accord much anymore.

Interesting. Can you share an example?

MRAYB 12-14-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmccorm (Post 58956562)
Interesting. Can you share an example?

Search "Kids react" or also "Elders react". Very entertaining. Will not play here?? Search YT

SmittyJS 12-14-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruelInventions (Post 58955490)

I was for a while too, at least to a handful of them (Lost in Vegas, No Life Shaq, D-Gibby, Alex Hefner and a couple others). What got me interested was already knowing the song Pisces by Jinjer and seeing thumbnails for reactions to it. I knew it would be funny. Then when metal was played out they all switched to classic rock and SRV. Hard for me to believe there are people in the U.S. who have never heard Zeppelin, AC/DC or Metallica. That definitely tells me I'm old.

snpanago 12-14-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJS (Post 58958586)
I was for a while too, at least to a handful of them (Lost in Vegas, No Life Shaq, D-Gibby, Alex Hefner and a couple others). What got me interested was already knowing the song Pisces by Jinjer and seeing thumbnails for reactions to it. I knew it would be funny. Then when metal was played out they all switched to classic rock and SRV. Hard for me to believe there are people in the U.S. who have never heard Zeppelin, AC/DC or Metallica. That definitely tells me I'm old.

Glad I'm not alone; I got hooked on reaction videos after seeing my first one here:
Top 10 Zeppelin for me:

Stairway to Heaven
Dazed and Confused
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Whole Lotta Love
Ramble On
Kashmir
Good Times, Bad Times
Immigrant Song
Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
Heartbreaker
Communication Breakdown

(Don't bother counting; there's 11 songs here.....I never tire of any of these and no one is allowed to touch any buttons if they happen to play on my car's radio):)

kostas restas 12-24-2019 01:31 AM

my songs

rock n roll
i cant quit you
no quarter
dazed and confused
stairway to heaven
boogie with stoo
immigrant song
since ive been loving you
when the leeve breaks
in my time of dying

RunningWIthScissors 12-24-2019 04:35 PM

For me, a guy who grew up listening to hard rock in the 60's and 70's, it's those first albums by great bands and musicians that won me over and contain the songs I love the most. Among others, there was Cream's Wheel of Fire, Hendrix's Are You Experienced, Santana's Santana 1, and of course, Led Zeppelin 1 and 2. These are albums that I own multiple vinyl copies of, simply because I wore them out.

In no specific order:

From Zep 1
  • Good Times Bad Times
  • Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
  • Dazed And Confused
  • Communication Breakdown
  • I Can't Quit You Baby

From Zep 2
  • Whole Lotta Love
  • Heartbreaker
  • Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)
  • Ramble On
  • Bring It On Home

Many of my friends with whom I share a similar musical preference, would say that the songs off the Led Zep 4 and Physical Grafitti albums was the pinnacle of Zeppelin's musical crafting and they very well may have the correct opinion. But music appreciation is based on personal preference. If I were in the car and Stairway to Heaven or Kashmir were to come on the radio, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. But Heartbreaker or Ramble On were on the radio, I would reach for the volume knob so I could crank it up full blast.

I love damn near every song played by Zeppelin, but it's those early songs on Zep 1 and Zep 2 that made me a Led Head.

toby5 12-24-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmccorm (Post 58867238)
"Going to California", "Whole Lotta Love". Get with it man! :)

When they're right, they're right

Toe 12-25-2019 09:20 AM

Oh man, picking 10 is hard, but 4 of mine for absolute sure are....

No Quarter
Bron-Yr-Aur
Since I've Been Loving You
Down By the Seaside

Picking just 6 more is very hard though and I will have to get back to you.

Fredrik 01-01-2020 02:09 PM

I know it's a tribute/cover but if you haven't seen it, this one is pretty amazing.

The in tune prolonged scream/wail at aprox 6:30 is f-ing epic.