• 1 Post By ADU
  • 2 Post By bryantc

post #1 of 10 Old 12-02-2019, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Movies recorded too close

In recent years I watch movies mostly on the projectors. But I am wondering often about one thing. I think movies are too often recorded too close. For example, they have very often scenes where the face of the person is over half the screen. For my opinion, it would be a lot better if the people would be recorded more away so we can see half of them or even all of them.
Ok, when you watch a movie on a small TV then it is better that the scenes are more close recorded. But I think today most people watch movies on a big-picture so it would be better to have more far away recorded scenes.

Does anyone agree with me?
xpostal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Eh, not really. I think the director is aware of all of these variables, and they ultimately construct the shot they want to. Are you maybe sitting too close to your screen???
eljaycanuck likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I don't think so. If I compare middle distance in the theaters to my home theater distance I think I am not to close.
But if the movies would be recorded a little more far away than we can easily sit more closely to the screen. Which is a good thing because movies would be more immersive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 2748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23
… the director is aware of all of these variables, and they ultimately construct the shot they want to. …
^ This.
Ben23 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbund View Post
I don't think so. If I compare middle distance in the theaters to my home theater distance I think I am not to close.
But if the movies would be recorded a little more far away than we can easily sit more closely to the screen. Which is a good thing because movies would be more immersive.
Okay, but still, if a director wants to construct a shot up the actor's nose, that is their choice, and that choice cannot be taken away. We can certainly discuss the merits of shot selection and framing, etc, but unless you can filter to a specific director, it's difficult to frame the conversation in a useful way.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
In recent years I watch movies mostly on the projectors. But I am wondering often about one thing. I think movies are too often recorded too close. For example, they have very often scenes where the face of the person is over half the screen. For my opinion, it would be a lot better if the people would be recorded more away so we can see half of them or even all of them.
Ok, when you watch a movie on a small TV then it is better that the scenes are more close recorded. But I think today most people watch movies on a big-picture so it would be better to have more far away recorded scenes.

I get what you are saying. It his a personal opinion obviously. Sometimes the big head on the screen is done as a dominating presence, but sometimes it is just lazy film making and they just zoom in trying to convey something that is not there. And now that big head is looming over you and it is not as enjoyable.

To ramble on further....

Even though I sit in a similar position to my home screen as I would in a theater, the movie theater screen feels further away. It may take up the same field of vision but my brain knows it it 50-100 feet in front of me vs 12-15 at home. So anything big can have bigger impact at home. But to contradict myself here. My brain also knows the theater screen is enormous and the home screen is only 10 feet across. So a ship or planet sized items seems larger in the theater. Does anyone else get this same feeling?
post #7 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 08:51 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:

Interesting topic peterbund. Stars like their closeups. I think it can be overdone sometimes though.

The only time it really bothers me is when there's alot of fast action in the scene, and I can't follow it because the framing is so tight. That happens frequently with action movies. Often the camera is quite far away from the action, but the lens is zoomed in so much that you can only see a small area of what's going on. I definitely had that experience with some scenes in Terminator: Dark Fate. And probably should have sat farther back in the theater from the screen.

It seems a little unseemly though for people with large screen TVs to be complaining that the image is too big. File this under 1st World problems.

ADU
post #8 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 09:39 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If greater immersion is your objective, have you considered trying a 2.35/2.40 (aka 21:9) aspect ratio constant image height setup? That would make the scoped widescreen content larger on your screen. And 16:9 content a bit smaller, and possibly easier to watch (assuming you don't just move your seat closer). There is a forum dedicated specifically to this topic here...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2...e-height-chat/

There are (or were anyway) even some 21:9 direct-view TVs/monitors, so you don't necessarily have to go the projection route for this. And I believe they are or were available in both curved and flat screens. It's not something I've really explored though recently.
Ben23 likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 12-03-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 10:55 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are using a flat screen, there are also ways of undoing the natural barrel distortion that occurs on some widescreen films which were intended to be viewed on curved screens. Warner's "SmileBox" process is one example of that.

The 2-disc Blu-ray edition of Warner's How the West Was Won includes both flat and SmileBox versions of the film. The latter simulates the curved Cinerama screen by warping the image using a pincushion-like effect. I don't know how many (if any) other films were released on home video in the SmileBox format. But it's possible some TVs may include a similar type of effect in their zoom/stretch options.

^Only plays on YT.
Ben23 likes this.

ADU
post #10 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Interesting topic. With the advent of home video we definitely saw a shift away from the epic framing of classic movies to more TV friendly close-ups.

I think now there are probably directors even thinking about phone screens when they make movies.
Ben23 and ADU like this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page