SPOILER THREAD: The Rise of Skywalker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #1 of 87 Old 12-21-2019, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 530
SPOILER THREAD: The Rise of Skywalker

Seems like many are requesting...figured I'd start it!

There were several scenes that gave me nerd chills. What ones resonated best with you?

Last edited by jedi1982; 12-21-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 12-21-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have to say, I really enjoyed this movie and also The Force Awakens. I did NOT like The Last Jedi so much (too many side jaunts and way too much overkill on making a point about present day issues). I want to escape when I am watching a movie like Star Wars, just like I escaped when I was 7 or 8 when I saw "Star Wars" (the original).

The best thing that stood out for me in this movie was I just loved Daisy and Adam as actors and their portrayal of Rey and Kylo/Ben!

I also think JJ Abrams and crew did a fantastic job wrapping up the trilogy of trilogy! I mean, come on, it could have been a disaster! But wasnt.

My favorite part, hmmmm, (taking a pause to reflect on what I just saw 1 hour ago)...was Luke resurrecting his X-wing for Rey to fly to the way finder planet!
post #3 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, this forum is soo quiet anymore! There was a time (about 10 years ago) a thread like this would have exploded by now with comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post
Wow, this forum is soo quiet anymore! There was a time (about 10 years ago) a thread like this would have exploded by now with comments!
I guess there isn't much to be said about these films anymore. They aren't terrible by any means, but not exactly all that interesting beyond a couple days worth of thought.
post #5 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I loved it as well, I enjoyed the last Jedi though I think it’s a pretty bad story for the middle of a trilogy, I honestly thought after last Jedi it was gonna be more than three cause it made no sense as a middle chapter. But given all that I have to hand to JJ and co for being able to pull this off, Rens turn was great and believable, and this coming from someone who I said I’m gonna be pissed if REN changes back since he killed Solo and just plain wants to be evil. I also enjoyed Reys origin since I thought She was gonna be a clone. What they did was much better, though hard for me to imagine Darth Sidioius every having relations and a child that turns out normal lol.

Also really enjoyed Leiahs send off and Luke’s lifting the x-wing. The one thing I was waiting for that never happened though was for the Jedi force ghosts to appear at the end with Rey, I have no idea why that never happened, it would have been amazing to see everyone palpatine had screwed over to come back and finish him off, from anakin to mace, ah well. I also VERY much loved the ending, Reys mixed lightsaber and taking Skywalker name, more of a mantle now which makes since to me since there is no original father, I thought it was all very well made. The other thing I like about this trilogy is there is so much space to fill, maybe with a series like clone wars, can’t wait, 4k box set pre ordered.
post #6 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 829
So wasn’t Anakin the chosen one from the prophecies who was supposed to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the force? The first 6 movies play to that theme. From what I have read happens in this film, that all goes down the toilet.
thehun likes this.
post #7 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3167 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
So wasn’t Anakin the chosen one from the prophecies who was supposed to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the force? The first 6 movies play to that theme. From what I have read happens in this film, that all goes down the toilet.
Everything was a pawn of Putin, I mean Palpatine.
post #8 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I am following you correctly, not sure it went down the toilet..as Anakin does so in a way that is not physically nor explicitly but indirectly by him saving Luke, that leads to Luke eventually leading Rey who eventually wins over Ben and takes the right path over Palpatine. So in a way, he started what leads to the eventual end of the Sith.
post #9 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Yep. The great, heroic turn of Darth Vader in destroying the Emperor is now rendered meaningless, since it turns out that the Emperor wasn't destroyed at all, just handed a temporary setback. "The Empire is destroyed! Hooray! Oops, it really isn't. Um, never mind". Oh, and force ghosts can now interact with the real world. And Jedi can now teleport across the galaxy. And heal light saber stabbings. And star destroyers now have the destructive power of death stars. IOW, forget everything you knew about Star Wars, turn off your brain, and enjoy the show.
srw1000 and cardoski like this.

Last edited by RobertR; 12-22-2019 at 01:25 PM.
post #10 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

I feel like at this point the “chosen one” prophecy is more regarding the family of skywalker rather than just one person, IMO of course, makes more sense to me. At first I felt the new trilogy was invaliding the original but now I feel like it was more the fault of the return of the Jedi for having such a “happy” ending when there was so much more to go, I feel like this trilogy is the aftermath of rotj big win. Plus Vader”s move still counted for something as the emperor did die and as shown in the new movie he was extremely weak and the cloning technology doesn’t work all that well for force users as the movie also shows all the failures in the beginning. The emperor is literally the worst of the worst in SW history, if Vader didn’t take his shot the emperor and the empire would still be at full power.

Last edited by zero_zep; 12-22-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #11 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
I guess there isn't much to be said about these films anymore. They aren't terrible by any means, but not exactly all that interesting beyond a couple days worth of thought.
After each of the prequels I would immediately go home and read everything I could find about the lore and all the amazing new planets and characters.

With these new movies I forget about them as soon as I walk out of the theater.
thehun, srw1000 and cardoski like this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #12 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Extremely weak"? He takes out a big chunk of the rebel fleet with force lightning, a power far, FAR beyond anything ever shown before. He's said to have created the fleet of star destroyers using the power of the Force, without having to bother with manufacturing facilities. Yeah, that's really "weak". And if he's a clone, why does he look as decrepit in the movie as he did in ROTJ?
post #13 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 586
RobertR, thehun, srw1000 and 4 others like this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #14 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I struggled to sit through this movie. I went because I wanted to do my part to make sure Star Wars still has a future. It just didn’t do it for me. The movie seemed really long and drawn out to me. The force awakens and every Star Wars movie before it seemed to flow better. It answered a lot of questions I just didn’t really care what the answers were. Another thought how was paplatine so powerful he could take out all the rebel ships with his lightning hands if not stopped? Well I guess that explained how Rey and Kylo could force fight pulling a big transport back to ground before ray threw force lightning and blew up the transport. I thought that was a sith thing that was taught. Maybe I’m just deflated from the last Jedi still. My son thought the movie was just “ok” he’s a big Star Wars fan too.
RobertR and cardoski like this.

Last edited by yogi6807; 12-22-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #15 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
This was great, spot on
post #16 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I really enjoyed the movie but as I think about it I get annoyed at the plot holes. No explanation for how Palpatine survived RotJ. No real explanation for how he built such a massive fleet and how each ship in said fleet now has the power to destroy planets with a ship-mounted gun. How can Force Ghosts interact with the physical world all of a sudden? Ren and Rey physically pass items through their mind link?

I think that I can pretty easily accept most of those holes but the one that really gets me is Palpatine surviving.

Anyway, I still really enjoyed it and for me it's the best of the Disney sequels. I didn't like TFA as I didn't want to see a "A New Hope" remake. I did like TLJ but didn't love it.

Sony A1E OLED | Yamaha RX-A1060 | Sony UBP-X800 | ATV4k
B&W 684 S2 | HTM61 S2 | SVS SB12-NSD
post #17 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
"Extremely weak"? He takes out a big chunk of the rebel fleet with force lightning, a power far, FAR beyond anything ever shown before. He's said to have created the fleet of star destroyers using the power of the Force, without having to bother with manufacturing facilities. Yeah, that's really "weak". And if he's a clone, why does he look as decrepit in the movie as he did in ROTJ?
But he was really weak, he took down the fleet with his lighting after he took the life force from Rey and Ren and had all the Sith inside him. And as far as the fleet being constructed, I don’t remember it specifically saying but it appeared as though there was a facility underground and the sith temple was just the tip of the iceberg, that this had been going on for 30 years. And in this version the guy couldn’t physically see or even walk, a machine was moving him around. I mentioned I thought the movie alluded to the fact his body was still so screwed up because the cloning process for a force user doesn’t work all that well, as the emperor said “un natural.” I don’t remember the movie saying he built the fleet with the force? All the ships were full of people. If you don’t like the movie that’s cool, but I thought it covered most things pretty well.
post #18 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_zep View Post
But he was really weak, he took down the fleet with his lighting after he took the life force from Rey and Ren and had all the Sith inside him.
Yeah, a person with ALL the Sith inside him and able to suck the life force from super powerful Jedi is really "weak".
thehun likes this.
post #19 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4881 Post(s)
Liked: 6607
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
"But this is Space so that's OK". LOL really well done.
post #20 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
Quote:
This was great, spot on
Really is, great breakdown.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #21 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
I'm glad The Mandalorian , R1 and SOLO are homeruns for me, this trilogy missed entirely . I'm happy people were able to get enjoyment from it. As I see it I have 8 awesome SW movies and some really cool shows, not bad. Only ST and Bond have more on my personal list, I feel spoiled really.
darthrsg likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #22 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 7330 Post(s)
Liked: 16700
Quote:
he took down the fleet with his lighting
He took down a fleet of battle armored ships with lightning. But Rey and her lightsaber were able to absorb all that same lightning energy with nary a snarl. Perhaps Babu Frik gave it the upgrade treatment.
cardoski likes this.

post #23 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
He took down a fleet of battle armored ships with lightning. But Rey and her lightsaber were able to absorb all that same lightning energy with nary a snarl. Perhaps Babu Frik gave it the upgrade treatment.
At that point the Jedi were with her then no? But I’m not here to defend it, I liked it and stated my reasons.
post #24 of 87 Old 12-22-2019, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 7330 Post(s)
Liked: 16700
Quote:
At that point the Jedi were with her then no? But I’m not here to defend it, I liked it and stated my reasons.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the movie too.

post #25 of 87 Old 12-23-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Damn, that hadn't occurred to me. Kinda illogical huh?

Sony A1E OLED | Yamaha RX-A1060 | Sony UBP-X800 | ATV4k
B&W 684 S2 | HTM61 S2 | SVS SB12-NSD
post #26 of 87 Old 12-23-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This spoiler filled review makes me laugh and sad at the same time:

post #27 of 87 Old 12-23-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 3167 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I'm glad The Mandalorian , R1 and SOLO are homeruns for me, this trilogy missed entirely . I'm happy people were able to get enjoyment from it. As I see it I have 8 awesome SW movies and some really cool shows, not bad. Only ST and Bond have more on my personal list, I feel spoiled really.
Agree 100%.

I think if TLJ did not happen and RoS was broken into two we'd have something mostly good despite the apparent outcry over fan service being illegal for some reason. Strange days we find ourselves in.
jedi1982 likes this.
post #28 of 87 Old 12-23-2019, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Agree 100%.

I think if TLJ did not happen and RoS was broken into two we'd have something mostly good despite the apparent outcry over fan service being illegal for some reason. Strange days we find ourselves in.
I've mentioned that, from a character perspective, it's as though we jump from The Force Awakens into The Rise of Skywalker and am ok with that as didn't like the direction The Last Jedi went. I do wish either this one could've been at least 3 hours long or planned for an Ep X. Either way, I liked The Rise of Skywalker. Thought it was a fun movie just to sit back and watch. JJ wrapped the saga well with what he had to work with!
post #29 of 87 Old 12-26-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I saw this posted on theforce.net, and thought it was interesting:

Twitter theory, from @R_M_Huffman ( a particularly salty fan):

1) Palpatine tells Rey to kill him so he can inhabit her body.
2) She does. He makes sure of it. He keeps shooting lightning until he explodes.
3) Rey is “dead,” but doesn’t disappear.
4) ...because “she” isn’t Rey, nor a Jedi. She’s Palpatine, a Sith.
5) Kylo kisses him.
6) He sucks Kylo’s life force.
7) Kylo dies.
8) Palpatine knows where Luke grew up (Rey couldn’t). He buries the lightsabers. He smirks at those Luke and Leia, who remain oblivious.
I highly doubt that this was ever even considered as part of JJ's plan, but it sure would be a fitting plan for someone as devious as Palpatine.

Scott
RobertR likes this.

post #30 of 87 Old 12-27-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
I saw this posted on theforce.net, and thought it was interesting:

Twitter theory, from @R_M_Huffman ( a particularly salty fan):

1) Palpatine tells Rey to kill him so he can inhabit her body.
2) She does. He makes sure of it. He keeps shooting lightning until he explodes.
3) Rey is “dead,” but doesn’t disappear.
4) ...because “she” isn’t Rey, nor a Jedi. She’s Palpatine, a Sith.
5) Kylo kisses him.
6) He sucks Kylo’s life force.
7) Kylo dies.
8) Palpatine knows where Luke grew up (Rey couldn’t). He buries the lightsabers. He smirks at those Luke and Leia, who remain oblivious.
I highly doubt that this was ever even considered as part of JJ's plan, but it sure would be a fitting plan for someone as devious as Palpatine.

Scott
Palpatine can literally reappear anytime the Disney writers want him to, since they've set up a situation where nothing that appears on screen can truly be considered a death. That makes all victories over the dark side rather meaningless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page