Marquette, MI - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 197 Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[quote= You can't get FOX without cable and that is a sad state for the Central U.P.

Either that or WLUK should put up a local mirrored over the air station like WJMN is a mirror of WFRV. It seems to work well.[/QUOTE]

What about satellite?

In Thompson, I noticed that they get fox from satellite (don't know if it was D* or E*), and it was WNYW (5) New York.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 197 Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 PM

Liked: 15
You would only be able to get FOX via satellite if you live outside of the predicted grade B coverage area of any FOX affiliate, or if you got a waiver. Not sure if the satellite companies use WMQF's licensed coverage area or its temporary low-power operation.

If they qualify, DirecTV customers would get WNYW New York and KTTV Los Angeles. DISH Network customers, through All American Direct, can get WAGA Atlanta and/or KTVU San Francisco.

You can get four FOX stations, including WMQF, directly from Galaxy 18 free-to-air if you have the equipment, but that's not really an option for the average consumer.
post #33 of 197 Old 02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post

Sorry, but I wasn't speaking about the sign-off of any translators. Rather it was about the need of channel 6 to add translators or DTS so their digital will eventually be able to closely match their old analog signal.

The digital coverage will never be matched to the old analog coverage pattern due to terrain issues and the frequency of WLUC-DT (UHF). WLUC would have been better served to get a VHF-HI frequency for DT, but I have no idea why the didn't. WNMU did, and they will have substantially better coverage than WLUC. WLUC's owner's, Barrington, have also put up rather weak UHF transmitters (WLUC and WTOM for example). Like I mentioned before, equivalent UHF stations in Green Bay are pumping out nearly 1000 kW ERP. WLUC is pumping out 67 and going up to 83kW.

Regarding the translators, if you look at the Escanaba and MQT translators, they only cover the immediate city limits. So, even with the translators, the coverage is inferior. They need to get a better power amplifier on that main transmitter to seriously address the coverage gaps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 197 Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

WNMU to go all digital May13th, rescan your converter box and notice it will be on RF 13 ... this is a change from RF33 now. Much better signal in mid May.
http://wnmutv.nmu.edu/dtv/dtv_updates.htm

Eastern U.P. is already on Dish/DirecTV. (those in chippewa/mackinac, luce co are eligible to receive the Traverse/Soo stations)

West/Central U.P. TV stations coming VERY soon to Dish and DirecTV

NEGAUNEE -- There's good news for those of you who may lose local TV stations like TV6 after the Digital Transition on June 12.

Right now, those with satellite dishes can't pick up TV6 and other U.P. stations.

But TV6's Chief Engineer and Director of Operations, Sonny Reschka, says TV6 has signed an agreement with EchoStar Dish Network to house their equipment.

A similar agreement is expected to be reached with Direct TV by the end of April.

The deal would mean the satellite companies would carry all local channels on their satellite TV lineup.

"Both companies have indicated they want to have this done within the next two months, which would mean by the time we do the Digital Transition June 12, all those people who may lose over the air broadcasts would now have a choice to pick us up over satellite," said Reschka.

Reschka believes the change would increase TV6's audience by 20 percent.
post #35 of 197 Old 04-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Anyone know who MMMC is? They just bought WMQF for the bargain-basement price of $100,000. I know they have many problems (lack of ratings, another FOX affiliate on cable they can't get rid of, virtually no local presence, barely on the air in analog and not at all in digital) but $100,000 seems like a steal for a big-four network affiliate.

Anyway, satellite local-into-local coverage could be the thing that saves WMQF. The providers likely won't carry WLUK (DirecTV could because it's significantly viewed, but doesn't use the option in most cases, and DISH can't because of a court order preventing them from carrying out-of-market signals).
post #36 of 197 Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Great news. I hope the new management has some success with their investment. A good move would be to just make it a satellite of WLUK, similar to what WFRV does to WJMN. Then the locals won't mind watching your channel and you can chip off some revenue from it.
post #37 of 197 Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post

Sorry, but I wasn't speaking about the sign-off of any translators. Rather it was about the need of channel 6 to add translators or DTS so their digital will eventually be able to closely match their old analog signal.

Probably not going to happen since most of their viewers will continue to receive the signal on cable. The remaining viewers will be able to get the local stations on satellite later this summer. The fact of the matter is that the owner of WLUC is VERY frugal. WPBN/WTOM (Traverse City-Cheboygan) also owned by Barrington will have substantially inferior digital coverage compared to the former analog coverage. I also heard other Barrington owned stations will have similar issues.

Again, you don't see this with WNMU, WBKP, WBUP, or WJMN. It's not a digital problem, it's a cash commitment issue. (WMQF... well.. same boat as WLUC)

Ironically enough, while going to UHF digital with poorer coverage and then with the addition of WLUC on satellite, it will ADD 20% to it's viewing audience. WLUC is probably ecstatic about the progress.
post #38 of 197 Old 06-08-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

WNMU to go all digital May13th, rescan your converter box and notice it will be on RF 13 ... this is a change from RF33 now. Much better signal in mid May.

Eastern U.P. is already on Dish/DirecTV. (those in chippewa/mackinac, luce co are eligible to receive the Traverse/Soo stations)

West/Central U.P. TV stations coming VERY soon to Dish and DirecTV

NEGAUNEE -- There's good news for those of you who may lose local TV stations like TV6 after the Digital Transition on June 12.

Right now, those with satellite dishes can't pick up TV6 and other U.P. stations.

But TV6's Chief Engineer and Director of Operations, Sonny Reschka, says TV6 has signed an agreement with EchoStar Dish Network to house their equipment.

A similar agreement is expected to be reached with Direct TV by the end of April.

The deal would mean the satellite companies would carry all local channels on their satellite TV lineup.

"Both companies have indicated they want to have this done within the next two months, which would mean by the time we do the Digital Transition June 12, all those people who may lose over the air broadcasts would now have a choice to pick us up over satellite," said Reschka.

Reschka believes the change would increase TV6's audience by 20 percent.

Is there any news on this? I will be moving to the Marquette area in a couple weeks (outside of cable coverage) and I'm trying to figure out which satellite company to go with and whether I'll be able to receive the major networks in HD.
post #39 of 197 Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

They're getting closer... I see there is a DishNetwork uplink set up for them now.... They aren't available for customers just yet... They're working on getting the signal.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=WLUC

ADD 6520 WBUP{ISHPEMING, MI} MPEG2 SD TID 4412 Tp 12 SPOT 15 Ciel 2 129w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP-A 10

ADD 6521 WJMN{ESCANABA, MI} MPEG2 SD TID 4412 Tp 12 SPOT 15 Ciel 2 129w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP-A 3

ADD 6522 WLUC{MARQUETTE, MI} MPEG2 SD TID 4412 Tp 12 SPOT 15 Ciel 2 129w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP-A 6

ADD 6523 WMQF{MARQUETTE, MI} MPEG2 SD TID 4412 Tp 12 SPOT 15 Ciel 2 129w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP-A 19

ADD 6524 WNMU{MARQUETTE, MI} MPEG2 SD TID 4412 Tp 12 SPOT 15 Ciel 2 129w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP-A 13
post #40 of 197 Old 06-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

WNMU has completed work on its digital transmitter antenna. They have ceased broadcasting in analog. They are now only available on RF 13 in digital.
They feature 3 subchannels, although arranged a little in an unorthodox manner.
Usually HD is the primary channel.
HD on 13.2
SD on 13.1
and 3 hr delay SD on 13.3

WNMU has reported good reception into Wisconsin and the Keweenaw. Good job guys! This is an example of how DT should be handled in the Marquette DMA.

WBUP/WBKP are next on the transition slate. Some time Friday WBUP and WBKP will cease analog. Both stations will sign on the same frequency in digital and offer ABC and CW on each transmitter. You will have to rescan on Friday to get these channels.

WLUC has an application to increase output power a small amount. Don't know if that will help much.

FOX does not have a digital transmitter in the West/Central U.P.
post #41 of 197 Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Bad Antenna? I got 3,7,13, and 19 analog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

Since no one else will say it. I will. It is your Antenna it is not good at all. Time for a new antenna and to use RG6 Coaxial Cable to connect to box. If you want to watch real stations this is your only choice. It is more your antenna then the box you choose. My aunt loves the TERK-55, but there are other choices out there. There is a thread on here that talks just about antenna's

Also as far as passthru you have more then a few choices

1) dtvpal with best tv guide like feature (avail in sears) Passthru is one button push on remote

2) Channel Master CM-7000

3) RCA (turn off box for passthru)

4) Zennith (turn off box for passthru)

5) I believe the apex and Zinwell ZAT-970A? also with passthru but not sure on those two. You need to look into it

Hope this helps. Remember Digital is a all or none proposition. What used to pass in analog with snow or waves will not here. I am 100% convinced it is your BAD antenna

post #42 of 197 Old 06-12-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

You suffer from cursor hypnosis, my landlord wont let me have an outside antenna(and yes I said that already in an earlier post)

Quote:

Good points. If you get a nice outdoor antenna this won't be as much of an issue and if you get a rotator you might be lucky enough to pull in WBKP from Houghton.

post #43 of 197 Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

First, if anyone from WNMU is reading this then turn channel 33 back on!

There is no signal from 13 digital here(and yes I was getting 13 analog very viewable here).

Second WMQF 19 does have a digital transmitter on 19.1 and 19.2 and my signal meter is showing signal but it is so week that I get a blotched up and frozen picture very rarely and "no signal" the rest of the time. 19 needs to crank up their power.

Looks like I have a chance at 3 and 19 but not 13. I still get 7 analog.

Quote:

WNMU has completed work on its digital transmitter antenna. They have ceased broadcasting in analog. They are now only available on RF 13 in digital.
They feature 3 subchannels, although arranged a little in an unorthodox manner.
Usually HD is the primary channel.
HD on 13.2
SD on 13.1
and 3 hr delay SD on 13.3

WNMU has reported good reception into Wisconsin and the Keweenaw. Good job guys! This is an example of how DT should be handled in the Marquette DMA.

WBUP/WBKP are next on the transition slate. Some time Friday WBUP and WBKP will cease analog. Both stations will sign on the same frequency in digital and offer ABC and CW on each transmitter. You will have to rescan on Friday to get these channels.

WLUC has an application to increase output power a small amount. Don't know if that will help much.

FOX does not have a digital transmitter in the West/Central U.P.

post #44 of 197 Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

I have a channel master box on order and it is comming soon so I will see if that is actually any better than the zenith box on 19. I am looking at getting a "cookie rack"(DB2 or 1080 or something along those lines) and mounting it on my torch style floor lamp so I can rotate it. No antenna on order yet as I want to check the CM Box first to see if it really is more sensitive.
post #45 of 197 Old 06-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Surprised to hear WMQF is on the air in digital. I'll have to check it out for myself next weekend. WNMU will not be moving back to 33. I suggest you rescan to see if you can get digital 13. There was a time period they were off both analog AND digital so maybe that's when you had the problem.

I hear rumors that WJMN is having issues. Anyone else see WJMN-DT right now? Where are you?

Final suggestion, you should all try with every effort to have an outdoor VHF/UHF antenna with a preamplifier and RG-6 shield coax. If you have those and still can't get the stations, send a complaint to them. If not, don't bother, it's your issue. Really.
post #46 of 197 Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
The way I hear it, WJMN-DT is at really low power and won't have a full signal up until November or something.

swiat, if you get a chance, I'd like to know what the digital stations look like up there as far as subchannels and whatnot. I think I have good data on WLUC and WNMU, but everyone else is up in the air, and I don't even know if WDHS flash-cut to channel 8 or not.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #47 of 197 Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 PM

It would surprise me, too, if WMQF is indeed on the air, because their satellite feed (which Equity uses to feed the transmitter and cable systems) went to black after Friday. Only one other Equity station disappeared in that fashion.

Anyone know for sure if WMQF is on the air?
post #48 of 197 Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

It is on, the channel ID is showing WMQF and WMQF2 when I get a picture.

However, it must be very low power because I am getting a steady signal but it is not enough most of the time to watch anything but my signal strength meter which on the Zenith box is going from BA under the "BAD" text to about half strength and it constantly fluctuates between those two areas and rarely shows anything.

When the propagation was good I saw scrolling text at the top saying 19.1 and 19.2 were comming soon. It also had color bars, pictures from around Marquette, and I caught a glimpse of an old black and white movie before the green and pink smears hit and it fell off.

BTW I watched the signal meter on 10 and 13 and 13 shows no signal but frequently spikes into the "BAD" area of the meter and 10 shows no signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Ellis View Post

It would surprise me, too, if WMQF is indeed on the air, because their satellite feed (which Equity uses to feed the transmitter and cable systems) went to black after Friday. Only one other Equity station disappeared in that fashion.

Anyone know for sure if WMQF is on the air?

post #49 of 197 Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 AM

Apparently it is on the air, as they filed with the FCC Friday indicating as much.

And I don't know what kind of gear they have their, but their filing stated they're operating at 1 kW ERP (!). They filed to increase that to... 2 kW ERP.

I wonder what's going on over there.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #50 of 197 Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

8KW would be good enough here...sigh. The Channel master box comes tommorow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Apparently it is on the air, as they filed with the FCC Friday indicating as much.

And I don't know what kind of gear they have their, but their filing stated they're operating at 1 kW ERP (!). They filed to increase that to... 2 kW ERP.

I wonder what's going on over there.

- Trip

post #51 of 197 Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 AM

Well, 1 kW to 2 kW is a 3 dB boost. Basically, if you're receiving them with breakups, it will hopefully solidify for you.

They should really be putting out a fair bit more power.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #52 of 197 Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, 1 kW to 2 kW is a 3 dB boost. Basically, if you're receiving them with breakups, it will hopefully solidify for you.

They should really be putting out a fair bit more power.

- Trip

I'll let you know Friday when I hit the inlaws... 6 hr drive...
But, the inlaws are basically 300' higher than Hoser_Eh. they are in Ishpeming, Hoser is in Marquette which is basically in a bowl. WJMN appears to be the only problem from what I heard over the phone. WLUC, WNMU, WBUP all come in fine. WDHS is inactive.

Trip, WMQF is ... there's no kind way of putting this... the bastard child FOX of the area. Most locals watch WLUK from Green Bay. WMQF shows Lions football, WLUK shows Packers. Most locals are Packers fans. WLUK is far more professional and has a somewhat more local appeal since WMQF (before it was sold) was programmed out of Arkansas. Real odd situation there when WLUK is allowed to be carried on cable, thus siphoning off any revenue from the local FOX. So, what is going on should surprise no one. Hopefully the new owners are far better than the old ones.
post #53 of 197 Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

This should have been working 2 years ago.... excuses, excuses...

from WJMN's website:

Escanaba, MI - On June 12th 2009, per federal government rule, WJMN is required to cease operations of analog programming on Channel 3. We are currently broadcasting the WJMN digital signal from a site north of Escanaba.

Since October 2008, WJMN has actively been pursuing a modification to our FCC construction permit for our permanent digital facility. If approved, the modification would allow WJMN to greatly expand its digital coverage area.

As of this date we are still awaiting permission from the FCC to build our proposed new facility. Until we build our new permanent facility, our broadcast reach will be limited to the specifications currently approved by the FCC.

WJMN digital programming is also available on Charter Cable. Check with other individual cable operators to see if you will continue to receive WJMN.

WJMN will make every effort to complete construction of our permanent facility as soon as the FCC approves the modification of our permit. We do not expect to finish construction until November of 2009 at the earliest.

Viewers with questions about the digital transition can call 888-CALL-FCC, 888.643.8809 or 866.760.9566. Status of our construction can be found at www.wjmntv.com.
post #54 of 197 Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Trip, WMQF is ... there's no kind way of putting this... the bastard child FOX of the area. Most locals watch WLUK from Green Bay.

I am quite aware of WMQF's former owners. They were quite cheap, as evidenced by this 1 kW digital they had a permit for. I, too, hope the new owners are better with it than Equity was.

And thanks. I'd love to know what the subchannel layout is like up there.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #55 of 197 Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

post #56 of 197 Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

All I had time to do yesterday was pull the coax out of the Zenith and plug it into the channel master and do back and forth views. I did not adjust anything.

The Channel master box detected 19.1 and 19.2 but the picture was blockier and blotchier than the Zenith. The Zenith, for the most part, showed a fluid and smooth picture with no sound. The Channel Master showed a blocky and blotchy picture with, from time to time, short bursts of sound.

WMQF was playing what looked to be an old black and white western.

Tonight I will start adjusting the antenna and see if I can tell any other differences.

BTW a handy place to find info on UP stations is - http://www.michiguide.com/dials/up.html
post #57 of 197 Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 AM

WMQF got their boost to 2 kW, and has now applied to further increase it to about 41 kW.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #58 of 197 Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well then I will just consider PBS 13 a loss and not worry about anything other than using the rabbit ears that I have been. I also wont answer the phones for the fundraisers at channel 13 as I have in the past.

Once WJMN gets cranking with a Full MW I wont need another antenna

Quote:

WMQF got their boost to 2 kW, and has now applied to further increase it to about 41 kW.

- Trip

post #59 of 197 Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser Eh View Post

Well then I will just consider PBS 13 a loss and not worry about anything other than using the rabbit ears that I have been. I also wont answer the phones for the fundraisers at channel 13 as I have in the past.

Hoser:
I think WNMU actually has an ace in the hole here - its channel 33 temporary DTV transmitter, just outside Marquette, that they were running until Friday - if they haven't already dismantled it, perhaps they can reset its power down to 15kW and re-license it as a DTV translator to serve Marquette itself (much like WLUC has an analog channel 7 translator in Marquette).
Maybe you could tell them this idea (I don't think they would want to hear it from someone who is literally as far away from Marquette as one in Michigan could possibly be).
I do remember using my portable DTV kludge in Shiras Park, and noting WNMU (temporary) was the only DTV that came in there.

I am pessimistic that WJMN-DT would come in well in the Marquette bowl when they move their DTV to Trenary. The new proposed pattern is highly directional, a narrow beam aimed at Iron Mountain, that puts its theoretical contour past that city (as well as Marquette and Escanaba). It likely won't do so well in Iron Mountain, either. In relation to the WJMN TL, that city is behind, well, an iron mountain!

Rob (50-week Troll, 2-week Yooper)
post #60 of 197 Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser Eh View Post

Hoser:
I think WNMU actually has an ace in the hole here - its channel 33 temporary DTV transmitter, just outside Marquette, that they were running until Friday - if they haven't already dismantled it, perhaps they can reset its power down to 15kW and re-license it as a DTV translator to serve Marquette itself (much like WLUC has an analog channel 7 translator in Marquette).
Maybe you could tell them this idea (I don't think they would want to hear it from someone who is literally as far away from Marquette as one in Michigan could possibly be).
I do remember using my portable DTV kludge in Shiras Park, and noting WNMU (temporary) was the only DTV that came in there.

I am pessimistic that WJMN-DT would come in well in the Marquette bowl when the move the DTV to Trenary. The new proposed pattern is highly direction, a narrow beam aimed at Iron Mountain, that puts it theoretical contour past that city (as well as Marquette and Escanaba). It likely won't do so well in Iron Mountain, either. In relation to the WJMN TL, that city is
behind, well, an iron mountain!

Rob (50-week Troll, 2-week Yooper)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page