Marquette, MI - HDTV - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #151 of 197 Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not confrontational at all, but how can you say WLUC's coverage is even close to that of WFLD (Chicago) or WITI (Milwaukee) if you look at the coverage radius of the green or light blue? 83 kW isn't cutting it. There is a near plateau of coverage vs power when you start getting above 500 kW. WLUC has a long way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 197 Old 08-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

Not confrontational at all, but how can you say WLUC's coverage is even close to that of WFLD (Chicago) or WITI (Milwaukee) if you look at the coverage radius of the green or light blue? 83 kW isn't cutting it. There is a near plateau of coverage vs power when you start getting above 500 kW. WLUC has a long way to go.

What Jon is saying.. the coverage of WLUC is the same as a Chicago station trying to COVER Milwaukee. He's not saying its the same as the coverage of Chicago or Milwaukee stations
post #153 of 197 Old 08-19-2010, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes, I was comparing the signal strength of WLUC and WBUP in Marquette to the signal strength of the major Chicago stations in Milwaukee. They are roughly the same...point being, WLUC and WBUP don't really cover Marquette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 197 Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

We'll see what happens after WJMN lights up at 1MW. There will be some competitive pressure to improve the coverage of WLUC and WBUP.
post #155 of 197 Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it is what I figured. WZMQ moved to a different tower and lowered their antenna AND lowered their power!
post #156 of 197 Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser Eh View Post

Well, it is what I figured. WZMQ moved to a different tower and lowered their antenna AND lowered their power!

Looks like a move from Dead River to Ishpeming and going from 41kW to 31kW ERP. Isn't Ishpeming much higher than Dead River? Maybe the tower rental was just too steep for them at Dead River.
post #157 of 197 Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone with a decent antenna setup give me an update on WJMN? Is it at 1 MW yet and how well does it come in from your location?
post #158 of 197 Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well here it is...mid September 2010 and I just checked and no WZMQ or WJMN.

Only channel OTA here in Marquette is analog 7.
post #159 of 197 Old 09-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Well here it is...mid September 2010 and I just checked and no WZMQ or WJMN.

Only channel OTA here in Marquette is analog 7.

I was thinking the same thing today,but then starting thinking they probably meant mid-september 2011.
post #160 of 197 Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 PM

wjmntv website now says it should be on around the end of the month.
post #161 of 197 Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM

here is wjmn-tv website funny how they keep extended the time to get the work done.www.wfrv.com/news/michigan
post #162 of 197 Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I give up. There never will be OTA DTV/HDTV in Marquette. I'll sell the converters at a rummage sale and when the TV's go I just wont get any programs. Problem solved!
post #163 of 197 Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 PM

Liked: 15
If WLUC converts its channel 7 translator to digital, there should be at least two channels recievable! (FCC is proposing a 2012 deadline for translators to convert...or leave the air.)

Also, it looks like WJMN stands a chance of reaching Marquette once it's finally done. Being a full 1,000kW, it will have the largest coverage area of any station in the UP.
post #164 of 197 Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 PM

Liked: 16
More important than their higher power, WJMN will be Southeast of Marquette, not behind the bluff to the west that overlooks it, so there will be a signal path into most of Marquette proper, though it still won't be very easy.

Sadly, WLUC, WBUP and WNMU could quite easily have run digital translators to serve Marquette itself. WNMU, in particular, could simply have left the pre-transition channel 33 transmitter "on" to serve Marquette.
post #165 of 197 Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

WJMN will have a strong directional signal to Iron Mt. but should have some signal to the north since it is so high and so powerful... Not a perfect lobe towards Iron Mt, more like a lopsided oval:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/polarplot...91&p360=0.159&

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1305833.html
post #166 of 197 Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, I give up. There never will be OTA DTV/HDTV in Marquette. I'll sell the converters at a rummage sale and when the TV's go I just wont get any programs. Problem solved!

satellite and cable are necessarily evils in the rough terrain and small market type transmitters of the Central/Western U.P.
post #167 of 197 Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Now WJMN website says they hope to be broadcasting at full operational power October 8.Now what are the odds there will be another delay.
post #168 of 197 Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, it's getting pretty funny now isn't it? At least they have the lines up, the antenna up, and the transmitter installed. They are 3/4 complete.

www.wjmntv.com

... and they will be blowing away WLUC, WBUP, and WZMQ by Thanksgiving.

The only question I have is, How will WLUC/Barrington respond? After all, they carry NBC AND FOX now. Using that "we're too poor" excuse might not cut it with the extra FOX revenue. Perhaps they already have plans to boost the transmitter next summer... who knows? WLUC needs to go to 500kW ERP just like the other Barrington station in Traverse City did, WPBN.
post #169 of 197 Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM

WJMN is now broadcasting finally,Appears to be a very good signal,granted I have city cable in Crystal Falls.but our city picks up the signal from the Trenary site,I waited long enough but the wait appears to be well worth it.
post #170 of 197 Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like they want viewer input:

"Work continues on WJMN-TV's upgrade to high-power digital broadcasting.

WJMN powered up it's new transmitter over the weekend. While testing and calibration work continue, the signal may come and go during the work day.

WJMN engineers would like to hear from our antenna viewers, and what strength you are receiving the new signal. Please send your reception feedback to us by email at [email protected]"
post #171 of 197 Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 PM

I have been watching WJMN since yesterday,and I can now say this WJMN signal makes WLUC signal look well is pathetic a good description.
post #172 of 197 Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM

Liked: 11
WLUC houses the equipment for DirecTV and DISH Network. As of October 7, 2010 the DirecTV technician was on site to swap WJMN to over-the-air reception and was unable to get a useable signal at our location in Negaunee Township. He was going to go south on US41 to see how far he would have to go to pick up the signal.

WLUC is working with our regional engineering on our problems with reception. We currently have a directional antenna on our tower pointed to the North (installed in 2003). Another idea is to work on getting our analog removed from the top and using an omnidirectional.

We have been watching the changes for low power to digital and are working on what we would install in Marquette.
post #173 of 197 Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlucengnr View Post

WLUC houses the equipment for DirecTV and DISH Network. As of October 7, 2010 the DirecTV technician was on site to swap WJMN to over-the-air reception and was unable to get a useable signal at our location in Negaunee Township. He was going to go south on US41 to see how far he would have to go to pick up the signal.

WLUC is working with our regional engineering on our problems with reception. We currently have a directional antenna on our tower pointed to the North (installed in 2003). Another idea is to work on getting our analog removed from the top and using an omnidirectional.

We have been watching the changes for low power to digital and are working on what we would install in Marquette.

not totally surprised re: WJMN

maybe it's because they have a highly directional signal to the southwest from their transmitter in Trenary. A cardiod pattern from Trenary might have been smarter.

...and I hope you guys at WLUC do move the antenna to the top of the tower for starters...but ultimately, 83kW ERP is peanuts compared to what many digital UHF stations are using across the country. Many full powered stations are 1MW. Getting halfway there would be a major step forward. Too bad you can't have a PBS-style telethon to raise money for the capital improvements.

Marquette's "bowl" Terrain is another issue.... good luck with that. seems to me the only way to address that is work on a 15kW LD translator.
post #174 of 197 Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Liked: 16
I would definitely second adding a translator in or directly over Marquette as opposed to trying to push more power out of the existing site. I don't think 1000kW from deep in the plateau would serve Marquette effectively (all that RF would fly right over the town), but a translator right in town would not need 15kW. In fact, a mere 100w could likely do it.

I would say do the same for Iron Mountain and Escanaba. I wonder what happened to the channel 14 translator at Escanaba, I believe I saw it (analog) as little as about 5 years ago.

@wlucengnr: I recently got a hold of some old (1975-76) copies of a magazine published by TV DX buffs. I was quite surprised to see someone logged W55AE in Manistique as a translator of WLUC back then. I never saw it, I wonder what years it had been on the air, and exactly where it transmitted from. It could not have been on the air very long.
post #175 of 197 Old 10-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

Now available on DirecTV:
WLUC (NBC), WBUP (ABC), and WJMN (CBS) in HD
WBKP (CW), WLUC-DT2 (FOX), WZMQ (MYT), WNMU (PBS), WNMU-DT2 in SD

Are the locals over DirecTV still this way (HD for NBC, ABC, and CBS; SD for FOX)? I have NYC feeds in HD for NBC, CBS, and FOX (but no ABC) and would switch to locals if they're all HD, but I'd rather stay how I am with no ABC than to lose the FOX HD (based on the shows I tend to watch).

Would DirecTV let me keep the distant network feeds as well as get the locals? That'd be the best for me if they would.
post #176 of 197 Old 10-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post

Are the locals over DirecTV still this way (HD for NBC, ABC, and CBS; SD for FOX)? I have NYC feeds in HD for NBC, CBS, and FOX (but no ABC) and would switch to locals if they're all HD, but I'd rather stay how I am with no ABC than to lose the FOX HD (based on the shows I tend to watch).

Would DirecTV let me keep the distant network feeds as well as get the locals? That'd be the best for me if they would.

According to the DirecTV website, they have since added WLUC-DT2 in HD. (I'm not sure if this is available OTA or they are just getting a direct feed from WLUC.) However, depending on when you added distant networks, there's a chance you are grandfathered to keep those anyway.
post #177 of 197 Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
On a related note, can someone who sees WLUC over the air tell me if they're doing HD on 6-2 as well as 6-1, or if 6-2 is in SD?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #178 of 197 Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

On a related note, can someone who sees WLUC over the air tell me if they're doing HD on 6-2 as well as 6-1, or if 6-2 is in SD?

- Trip

NBC in HD on 6-1
FOX in SD on 6-2
post #179 of 197 Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
That's surprising. Barrington invested in dual HD gear in other markets.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #180 of 197 Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
WLUC has asked FOX if we can send HD over-the-air and we were given specific information on what we can do. According to agreements with FOX we can only provide HD to cable and satellite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page