Kirksville MO - Ottumwa IA HDTV OTA - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 119 Old 06-17-2015, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Talked with one of my good friends in Ottumwa recently, and he said the former OATS (Ottumwa Area Translator System) tower was cut down. The OATS tower used to sit on Monkey Mountain, but was moved in recent years to Copperhead Rd. across from Forest Lake Baptist Camp.

It appeared the 50 year old OATS tower was going to be reborn as Christian radio KQLF was going to move to it and upgrade, but the absentee landowner that bought the OATS site wanted the tower gone. Too much liability if the tower lights failed, so down it went. Apparently KQLF didn't make a binding agreement in time to take over liability for the tower. ASR number for the tower has been deleted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 Old 10-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am sure this is everyone's favorite subject. I live just outside of Bloomfield, IA. I am putting up an antenna to try and ditch Direct TV. After doing some research I purchased a Winehard HD7698p and CM7777 amplifier. There are some local stations that I get fine (some are borderline overpower with the CM7777, but the real goal is to get the Des Moines NBC station. Its about 100 miles away, Hi-VHF. While just messing around (antenna/mount is not mounted yet) I did get the Fox Des Moines station (UHF, I believe), and another UHF station out of Des Moines. What I am really looking for, is whether there is a better option, such as two seperate antennas. I know its a stretch to get stations that far, but we do live on the top of a hill with no trees in the way. The antenna will probably be about 20 feet off of the ground. I get all of the closer stations just fine. Thanks in advance for your advice.

h ttp://www .tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cb971fde391 d
post #93 of 119 Old 12-25-2016, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did you end up having any luck? The Des Moines stations to Davis County is an awfully long distance, and definitely beyond line of sight from Alleman. I think from your approximate location, you are not far from the KUDV transmitter. Make sure the FM trap on your amplifier is turned on. The second harmonic of 106.9 MHz falls right in channel 13. If it still strong with a trap, you might need a custom filter for that frequency. The other thing I would do if I was you is see if you can get sufficient signal on WGEM-10 from Quincy. The numbers don't look good from your report, but you never know. It's too bad KYOU doesn't pick up NBC on a subchannel.

I grew south of Ottumwa on a high hill and was able to get 8, 11, and 13 directly. Picture was steady, but a little bit of noise. I don't know if the people living there today could get the digital signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 119 Old 01-29-2017, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Northpine.com reports that SagamoreHill Broadcasting is buying the construction permit for KGLU-LD/17 (Ottumwa) from DTV America for $71,000.

Any speculation what network might light up KGLU? NBC would seem a natural, but they might want to affiliate with a station that already has a news department. KTVO is likely full up between CBS and ABC, so that leaves KYOU FOX-15 as the only other station with news in the market. And Market 200 is probably too small to support a third.

But since KYOU hasn't already taken on NBC, my guess is that KGLU will be a pass-through NBC affiliate.
post #95 of 119 Old 01-30-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 143
SagamoreHill just lit up a LP NBC station in Watertown, NY 2 months ago (dec 1) WNVC-LD
No news on there yet except for national news. They say by 2018 they will have a news team assembled.

They also own K09XZ which is a analog translator that is off the air right now. Its licensed to Lewiston, MO but they could easily move it towards Kirksville to give both towns an easier to get signal.
post #96 of 119 Old 07-03-2017, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, what's going on with KTVO digital?

I'm trying to help out my in-laws who live on the north side of Kirksville, and based on TVfool, we should be getting KTVO without a problem, 3-1 and 3-2 (or 33-1 and 33-2 dependent on the status). We do get KYOU, GritTV and Escape with no issues at all. We are using a Mohu Leaf and we can upgrade to an outdoor antenna, but we went this route based on the TVfool estimates of with a signal strength that says an on top of the TV antenna should work. There is nothing blocking (trees, inside shielding, etc.) the signal other than one wall of wood/drywall. I'll probably go with an outdoor and see, but I figured I'd ask here before doing so. Thanks!
post #97 of 119 Old 07-03-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoman View Post
I'm trying to help out my in-laws who live on the north side of Kirksville, and based on TVfool, we should be getting KTVO without a problem, 3-1 and 3-2 (or 33-1 and 33-2 dependent on the status). We do get KYOU, GritTV and Escape with no issues at all. We are using a Mohu Leaf and we can upgrade to an outdoor antenna, but we went this route based on the TVfool estimates of with a signal strength that says an on top of the TV antenna should work.
Can you post your tvfool please?
post #98 of 119 Old 07-03-2017, 06:55 AM

post #99 of 119 Old 07-03-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

you are right that you should be getting KTVO too. Have you tried adjusting the antenna (turning it) or even trying to move it up and down. Digital can be finicky and moving the antenna a couple inches up or down can make a world of difference.
An outdoor antenna would work better and you really wouldn't need much. Heck I've seen folks take indoor antennas and put them outside.
edit: I see there is a home depot there and they carry a simple outdoor antenna that would probably work. And worse case is if it doesn't you can easily return it
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Winegard-...D30H/203972856
post #100 of 119 Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
SagamoreHill just lit up a LP NBC station in Watertown, NY 2 months ago (dec 1) WNVC-LD
No news on there yet except for national news. They say by 2018 they will have a news team assembled.

They also own K09XZ which is a analog translator that is off the air right now. Its licensed to Lewiston, MO but they could easily move it towards Kirksville to give both towns an easier to get signal.
Per Wikipedia (FWIW), SagamoreHill also KXLT-47 in Rochester, MN--which is operated by Quincy Media through an SSA.

How about do the same thing in Kirksville--convert K09XZ to digital, move it to Kirksville, and QM SSA's this tranny and runs it as a WGEM translator? (Perhaps "KGEM-LD?")

(However, KGEM is already taken for calls, on an AM station in Boise, Idaho--unless KGEM-LD is okay for use).
post #101 of 119 Old 07-03-2017, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromSpfdIL View Post
Per Wikipedia (FWIW), SagamoreHill also KXLT-47 in Rochester, MN--which is operated by Quincy Media through an SSA.
correct. SagamoreHill has a few stations that they let others run. However the FCC has cracked down on that and no longer allows it (there are some exceptions)

Quote:
How about do the same thing in Kirksville--convert K09XZ to digital, move it to Kirksville, and QM SSA's this tranny and runs it as a WGEM translator? (Perhaps "KGEM-LD?")
couple thoughts
-SagamoreHill is now running stations and as noted just turned up a NBC in Watertown, NY so let them run it.
-according to Rabbitears K09XZ (now called KRKG-LP) is close to Kirksville in a place called Hurdland (fcc documents show the tower at the Mark Twain Rural Telco). There is also a KGLU-LD on RF17 licensed to Ottumwa that has a construction permit to upgrade to 15kw south of town. Both would cover the main city of licenses (the Ottumwa station would cover a lot more)
-The one issue is syndicated shows. Most of the syndicated shows on WGEM are already on the local stations (KYOU & KTVO) and they have the rights to those programs in the market which makes the 1st point I made sound more logical

Quote:
(However, KGEM is already taken for calls, on an AM station in Boise, Idaho--unless KGEM-LD is okay for use).
yes it can be used. Its done in a lot of areas. You could have KGEM AM, KGEM FM, KGEM (a full power TV station) and KGEM-LD (low powered) and they dont even have to have the same owner
post #102 of 119 Old 07-04-2017, 04:53 AM

I did work with position quite a bit and scanned several times. Time to try the outdoor antenna you suggested as it's easy to do. Already been to HD three times in the past 24 hours for other projects. Thanks for confirming my direction!
post #103 of 119 Old 07-05-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did work with position quite a bit and scanned several times. Time to try the outdoor antenna you suggested as it's easy to do. Already been to HD three times in the past 24 hours for other projects. Thanks for confirming my direction!
Did you try the outdoor antenna?
post #104 of 119 Old 07-07-2017, 04:35 AM

I went home before I got to try it out. I'll probably bring 50 feet of coax and an inline amplifier and see what happens when I use the Mohu antenna outside, then the Winegard you suggested. Looking at mid-August unless they experiment on their own. I'll post an update when the tests are done.
post #105 of 119 Old 07-07-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll probably bring 50 feet of coax and an inline amplifier and see what happens when I use the Mohu antenna outside, then the Winegard you suggested.
try without the amp first. Sometimes amplifiers do more harm than good

Quote:
Looking at mid-August unless they experiment on their own. I'll post an update when the tests are done.
sounds good
post #106 of 119 Old 12-02-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Iowa Public TV creates new station, splits up Create and Kids
http://www.iptv.org/about/iptv-news/...el-lineup-faqs

from Northpine.com
Iowa Public Television has launched a fourth broadcast channel, essentially splitting up a hybrid channel that had carried children's programming during the evening and the Create network during other hours. On Dec. 1, the former "IPTV Learns" on DT2 became PBS Kids, with Create moving to a new DT4 channel fulltime. World Channel remains on DT3. The network reaches the entire state with nine full-power transmitters and a handful of translators. IPTV said Mediacom customers should be able to find the new PBS Kids on channel 794 by Dec. 6.
post #107 of 119 Old 01-13-2018, 07:38 PM

KYOU adds NBC on 15.2

I saw online that KYOU is adding NBC to 15.2. That means Ottumwa has all of the major networks, and Kirksville is only missing PBS over the air.

http://www.kyoutv.com/home/2018/01/08/kyou-nbc-release/
post #108 of 119 Old 01-14-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

very cool!
post #109 of 119 Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Griffin View Post
I saw online that KYOU is adding NBC to 15.2. That means Ottumwa has all of the major networks, and Kirksville is only missing PBS over the air.

http://www.kyoutv.com/home/2018/01/08/kyou-nbc-release/
I wonder what will happen with Grit since that is on 15-2 right now?

edit: Grit moving to 15-3 Escape going bye bye per a facebook post from KYOU

No you will not lose Grit. Grit will move to 15.3...however, Escape will be leaving.

Last edited by unclehonkey; 01-14-2018 at 08:57 AM.
post #110 of 119 Old 01-24-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

NBC is on 15-2 as of yesterday at 5am per facebook
post #111 of 119 Old 01-24-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

now I guess KYOU changed their tune on Escape

"NBC will show up as 15.2. Grit will move to 15.3, Escape will move to 15.4"
post #112 of 119 Old 01-24-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see Mediacom right now doesnt have it in SD...just HD on 103 (where Grit was)
https://mediacomtoday-lineup.com/lin...lo_co__ia.aspx
post #113 of 119 Old 06-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
try without the amp first. Sometimes amplifiers do more harm than good

sounds good
So, I got them a db8 and mounted it in the attic at about 13-14 feet up. I got them 3-1 through 3-3, which was the key and 15-1 through 15-4 is an even greater signal. They did get 16-1 through 16-4 but are not fans of the programming on these stations. I'm thinking all the power lines were interfering with the signal. Thanks for all the help!
post #114 of 119 Old 06-10-2018, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I got them a db8 and mounted it in the attic at about 13-14 feet up. I got them 3-1 through 3-3, which was the key and 15-1 through 15-4 is an even greater signal. They did get 16-1 through 16-4 but are not fans of the programming on these stations. I'm thinking all the power lines were interfering with the signal. Thanks for all the help!
awesome!
And since the last time you tried this KYOU has added NBC so now Kirksville/Ottumwa is a full market (all Big 4 nets)

I assume 16-1 thru -4 is the CTN affiliate in Quincy.

Glad its working out for them
post #115 of 119 Old 06-11-2018, 06:52 AM

Glad to see that options for OTA viewing are so much better there now than when I was a poor student back in the early 90's. KTVO was it. It's too bad there's still not a repeater for a PBS station there.
post #116 of 119 Old 06-11-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Griffin View Post
Glad to see that options for OTA viewing are so much better there now than when I was a poor student back in the early 90's. KTVO was it.
the digital transition is great for these small markets that dont have 4 transmitters there.

Quote:
It's too bad there's still not a repeater for a PBS station there.
Quincy should add a translator in Kirksville for PBS. Ottumwa has a Iowa PBS translator there
post #117 of 119 Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Quincy should add a translator in Kirksville for PBS. Ottumwa has a Iowa PBS translator there
The group that owns WQEC is not in good shape financially, so I don't see that as being likely. Many years ago, they proposed a station at LaPlata, Mo (between Kirksville and Macon). It was never built and the channel 21 allocation deleted prior to the digital transition. KCPT (carried on cable) or KMOS would be better, since they are Missouri based.
post #118 of 119 Old 06-28-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

KYOU-DT2 launching a 10PM news effective 7/16

http://www.ottumwacourier.com/news/o...a9910f18b.html

With the city’s first NBC affiliate starting its local newscast on July 16, Ottumwans will be able to view four market-based TV networks: Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC.

“In January, we started carrying NBC — and NBC has ordered a local newscast,” said Pat Brink, news director at KYOU. “They bring viewers to us, we bring viewers to them.”

and its cool they mention OTA only folks

The vice president and general manager of KYOU, Mike Elrod, said NBC news in the past came out of a bunch of different places, like Kansas City. That wasn’t helpful to viewers in Wapello County, who didn’t have a “cord” on their TV, like the ones used for cable or leading to a satellite dish.

“Around a quarter of the market is watching over an antenna, a free antenna,” said Elrod.

KYOU allowed a glimpse behind the scenes of the television business: Elrod wants to reach more than just those potential viewers using satellite or cable.

“We saw there was a void: No NBC. Now in our local market, our ‘cord cutters’ get all four major networks over the air, free,” he said.
post #119 of 119 Old 09-10-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As of September 1 KYOU-DT4 is now CW. This replaces Escape

https://www.facebook.com/KYOUTV/vide...1402769893908/

KYOU is proud to bring you...The CW Network!

The CW network will begin airing on KYOU 15.4 starting Saturday, September 1, 2018. The network’s hit shows including Riverdale, Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Jane the Virgin. The CW also airs special events including the iHEARTRadio Music Festival.

The KYOU lineup of stations over-the-air is as follows:
KYOU FOX 15
KYOU NBC 15.2
KYOU Grit 15.3
KYOU The CW 15.4

KYOU is dedicated to providing fast, live news, information and entertainment to the communities in the area. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page