Charlotte NC AT&T U-Verse - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #121 of 135 Old 12-21-2017, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Still no fiber activity in my neighborhood. I've given up even thinking about it. Just checking here to see if there is any new information. Will likely cut back cable to just internet since we don't watch a lot of TV here. It's a waste to be paying so much if we don't use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 Old 12-21-2017, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I have a friend who works for AT&T corporate engineering, I had him check my address with the people who would know..the response was in no time soon if ever.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #123 of 135 Old 12-30-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I have a friend who works for AT&T corporate engineering, I had him check my address with the people who would know..the response was in no time soon if ever.
If it's to be believed department....

I got a visit last night from an AT&T sales person canvassing the neighborhood (it was dark out he had a little miners light on his head!) Anyway I basically cut him off before he started told him we got our TV off the air, used T-Mobile 55+ unlimited cell phone plan and had Spectrum for internet. Then added that I wasn't interested in their internet until they delivered fiber to the home. He was nice about it and admitted I had some good reasoning and all bases covered. Then he added that AT&T was planning on having fiber in our area in March.

I've heard this before, anyone know if it's true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 135 Old 12-30-2018, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post
If it's to be believed department....I've heard this before, anyone know if it's true?
Well Bill..Actually, yes...ATT has been installing fiber here in my part of Farmwood for about a month now..several weeks ago the crew bored thru the water main down the street killing water for 12 hours or so. Last week, they strung aerial fiber behind the house on the poles.. there is now a splice case on my pole.It's my understanding that they plow fiber to your house, which connects to an ONT (optical network terminal) that you supply power for which delivers you the GbE ethernet.

However, a day late and a dollar short..I got Spectrum about 2 months ago, with 235/12 here..and at my other house I get 450/20 from them. My friend Rob who lives over near UNCC, has ATT fiber and he gets almost 1GB up and down..So..yes.. When my Spectrum introductory year is up I'll likely switch to ATT again.

I also now have an Ooma phone..cut my internet and phone bill by HALF!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 12-30-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #125 of 135 Old 01-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Well Bill..Actually, yes...ATT has been installing fiber here in my part of Farmwood for about a month now..several weeks ago the crew bored thru the water main down the street killing water for 12 hours or so. Last week, they strung aerial fiber behind the house on the poles.. there is now a splice case on my pole.It's my understanding that they plow fiber to your house, which connects to an ONT (optical network terminal) that you supply power for which delivers you the GbE ethernet.

However, a day late and a dollar short..I got Spectrum about 2 months ago, with 235/12 here..and at my other house I get 450/20 from them. My friend Rob who lives over near UNCC, has ATT fiber and he gets almost 1GB up and down..So..yes.. When my Spectrum introductory year is up I'll likely switch to ATT again.

I also now have an Ooma phone..cut my internet and phone bill by HALF!
Well, that's news! I haven't seen any activity here yet but I swear the fiber hut on Boston Street behind Idlewild Elementary is bigger than I remember. I haven't seen any action so far. It will be two years since they started digging on the next street and then suddenly just quit.

Now if you go to the AT&T internet page it has a place to check for when fiber will be available so maybe they are finally getting serious?

Whatever happened to Google Fiber in Charlotte? All I got was a T-Shirt!

Mike W4DXL
post #126 of 135 Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
If it's to be believed department....

I got a visit last night from an AT&T sales person canvassing the neighborhood (it was dark out he had a little miners light on his head!) Anyway I basically cut him off before he started told him we got our TV off the air, used T-Mobile 55+ unlimited cell phone plan and had Spectrum for internet. Then added that I wasn't interested in their internet until they delivered fiber to the home. He was nice about it and admitted I had some good reasoning and all bases covered. Then he added that AT&T was planning on having fiber in our area in March.

I've heard this before, anyone know if it's true?
We are more than mid way through March. no sign of any fiber movement from AT&T or anyone. Another lie I guess.
post #127 of 135 Old 03-20-2019, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
We are more than mid way through March. no sign of any fiber movement from AT&T or anyone. Another lie I guess.
I've had AT&T Gigafiber for over a year here in South Charlotte. I get about 950 up and down on ethernet. 200-400 from Spectrum for $40 is a better deal for me. I just don't see where Gigabit internet is necessary. Only place I see any difference is on speedtests! I'm moving in 10 days, and there is no AT&T at new place, so it's back to Spectrum for me.
post #128 of 135 Old 03-20-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s been hanging on the pole in my backyard for several months now..once my yearly Spectrum promo is up..I’ll pit them against each other. But I’m happy so far with my 235 mb/s down here.
As Hamstang says..Gb really doesn’t bring that much to the table in general..you’ll still be waiting on the server on the
other end. At least for now..but eventually..as streaming becomes even more prevelant..it will.

Bob

post #129 of 135 Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
It’s been hanging on the pole in my backyard for several months now..once my yearly Spectrum promo is up..I’ll pit them against each other. But I’m happy so far with my 235 mb/s down here.
As Hamstang says..Gb really doesn’t bring that much to the table in general..you’ll still be waiting on the server on the
other end. At least for now..but eventually..as streaming becomes even more prevelant..it will.
I will not use cable for a couple of reasons: I don't want to use an antiquated modulator system (cable modem is a modulator/de-modulator) Channel bonding for down stream and upstream is dependent C/N and ingress in the plant, I don't want to share my bandwidth with a few hundred people in my neighborhood and hope there is a enough for me. I will take fiber all day long. Plus I know personally how old and crappy that old Cablevision/Vision cable plant is.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #130 of 135 Old 03-21-2019, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, it's fine for me especially for the price over the Awful T&T Co..
Besides, I thought you fixed all those problems for me long ago..

Bob

post #131 of 135 Old 03-21-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
I will not use cable for a couple of reasons: I don't want to use an antiquated modulator system (cable modem is a modulator/de-modulator) Channel bonding for down stream and upstream is dependent C/N and ingress in the plant, I don't want to share my bandwidth with a few hundred people in my neighborhood and hope there is a enough for me. I will take fiber all day long. Plus I know personally how old and crappy that old Cablevision/Vision cable plant is.
Ouch!

Not necessarily looking for faster right now I get around 237mbps most of the time, seldom slower and doesn't buffer like the old days. Even when I had 30 it was pretty good, not that i'd want to go back! Sharing bandwidth hasn't been a problem in my neighborhood. When there have been service problems Time Warner/Spectrum has been quick to respond. They come out and replace cables and taps then all is right again.

I will say the customer service at Spectrum is really good. I get mailings offering me Hispanic cable packages all the time because I have a Spanish sounding last name. I called them after midnight last night and in short order got someone to take me off the list. I never really expected to find anyone to help me with that after midnight.

My reason for wanting fiber is two fold, one, it's the latest technology (okay some may argue 5g but I want a solid connection), and two probably the most important reason it would be nice to have a true choice for broadband providers.
post #132 of 135 Old 09-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Let's use this thread for Charlotte area U-Verse posts.
Questions for existing ATT UVerse internet users.

1) Is your IP a static fixed assignment or does it change every few hours?

2) Does your IP publicly face the global internet or does it reside behind ATT's internal networking firewall?

I may be forced in the near future to make the leap to UVerse and I'm just trying to get a handle on what I'll be dealing with when the time comes.

Thanks in advance
post #133 of 135 Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ybsane has gigapower..let me get him..
And I now have their fiber on the pole in backyard. But I am happy with Spectrum so..

Bob

post #134 of 135 Old 09-11-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoone View Post
Questions for existing ATT UVerse internet users.

1) Is your IP a static fixed assignment or does it change every few hours? We don't pay for a static just DHCP

2) Does your IP publicly face the global internet or does it reside behind ATT's internal networking firewall? We have a Firewall and a VPN so not sure.

I may be forced in the near future to make the leap to UVerse and I'm just trying to get a handle on what I'll be dealing with when the time comes.

Thanks in advance
See above hope this helps.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #135 of 135 Old 09-12-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks ybsane for your feedback. At least I know that I can "buy" a fixed IP if desired and that's good. Probably not affordable though...

The cell phone "jetpack" hotspots and such all sit behind provider firewalls and ends up being double-NAT'ed. Not good for outside access back to privately owned servers. I kinda doubt that UVerse is set up this way. Spectrum for sure is not.

I need to look further into UVerse's TV offerings. I have a suspicion that this may be the weak link with their product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page