Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 432 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1791Likes

post #12931 of 13469 Old 07-13-2019, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Since I'm the only insomniac here.....

This AM around 3:40, I did a scan for Tropo, & found WQHS has their new RF 36 transmitter on @ full power for test, duplicating all the subs.
Looks like I'll lose another Youngstown temporarily once this happens. Probably won't be able to decode either of them. Yay.

Quote:
Stephanie Skemp must have been weened on cable.....

WVIZ Thompson Repeater on 19 is back working properly once again. See how long that lasts.
Aaaaand it's down again. Perfect "full bars" signal on my LG C7P and HDHomeRun but no decode.

Also regarding WKYC being on auxiliary, it's probably the first time WEWS has a higher signal than WKYC for me, but not by much. Both (barely) decoding out here behind the Thompson hill.

Last edited by Token Majove; 07-13-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 13469 Old 07-13-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Pre-Repack Reimbursement Denied For Ohio TV Operator

Northeastern Educational Television of Ohio's WNEO/WEAO. Not much to read if you're not a member of the site

Newer is not always better.
post #12933 of 13469 Old 07-14-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I take it that KONV is back on the air again. WVPX is breaking up very badly here with occasional periods where it won't decode at all. Seemed to have been fine yesterday without any issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12934 of 13469 Old 07-14-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
I had mentioned a few days ago that I haven't been able to receive WVPX which is always strong for the most part. Well, today I was using my GE "attic" antenna which I like as it's light to move around and directional when trying to see where a signal is on the Zenith box. When I was checking RF 23, KONV came up so they are on and I assume have been for some time as I lost WVPX about two weeks ago at least. The screen shot is from Estrella:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

Northeastern Educational Television of Ohio's WNEO/WEAO. Not much to read if you're not a member of the site
Where is 45 going post repack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Majove View Post
Aaaaand it's down again. Perfect "full bars" signal on my LG C7P and HDHomeRun but no decode.
I see, I figured as much, wonder what is going on except a gross waste of electricity.
post #12935 of 13469 Old 07-14-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Where is 45 going post repack?
29 for the main WNEO signal
13 for the Y'Town translator

Last edited by unclehonkey; 07-14-2019 at 12:31 PM.
post #12936 of 13469 Old 07-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I take it that KONV is back on the air again. WVPX is breaking up very badly here with occasional periods where it won't decode at all. Seemed to have been fine yesterday without any issues.
I mentioned yesterday that is was on and I'm pretty sure it's been on for maybe two weeks as WVPX has not been seen on my tv's for at least that long and being close enough to downtown, KONV will affect 23's reception over here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	2590698  
post #12937 of 13469 Old 07-14-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I mentioned yesterday that is was on and I'm pretty sure it's been on for maybe two weeks as WVPX has not been seen on my tv's for at least that long and being close enough to downtown, KONV will affect 23's reception over here.
You had mentioned before, though I though DTV America got a slap on the hand, though testing is permissible. 23 must be on lower power this season. I haven't been able to decode KONV, yet my dad a few miles away (actually farther NE) has, He never gets ION with his outdoor, yet I've been getting it for years (summer only) regularly with my attic setup.

I haven't seen WUEK in several days, & the 19 Thompson Translator signal appears to be below the decode threshold today. WVIZ may has well shut it off, as it's pretty much useless without the decode-ability.
post #12938 of 13469 Old 07-14-2019, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You had mentioned before, though I though DTV America got a slap on the hand, though testing is permissible. 23 must be on lower power this season. I haven't been able to decode KONV, yet my dad a few miles away (actually farther NE) has, He never gets ION with his outdoor, yet I've been getting it for years (summer only) regularly with my attic setup.

I haven't seen WUEK in several days, & the 19 Thompson Translator signal appears to be below the decode threshold today. WVIZ may has well shut it off, as it's pretty much useless without the decode-ability.
I do know that in the summer, WEAO and WVPX lose some signal over here with the trees/leaves and I assume atmospheric conditions but I usually get 23 with little difficulty. Maybe KONV was testing before or 23 is at lower power as you say.

WUEK comes in but I don't know if that is on full power either since the signal could be higher sometimes being as close as I am to downtown, around four miles or so.

It's unfortunate that WVIZ can't get the translator working for your area. Have you have contacted them? I know the two times I emailed regarding issues with sound problems a few years back, no one ever emailed or responded.
post #12939 of 13469 Old 07-14-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's unfortunate that WVIZ can't get the translator working for your area. Have you have contacted them? I know the two times I emailed regarding issues with sound problems a few years back, no one ever emailed or responded.
They probably would fix it if you made a generous donation. The engineer probably won't fix anything that's non-essential if he's not getting paid to do it.

Yes, I've emailed them a few times in the past too with no replies, but I think they were listening once and took one of my emails into consideration.

post #12940 of 13469 Old 07-14-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do know that in the summer, WEAO and WVPX lose some signal over here with the trees/leaves and I assume atmospheric conditions but I usually get 23 with little difficulty. Maybe KONV was testing before or 23 is at lower power as you say.

In the summer it's quite the opposite for me, 23 would come in once the leaves start appearing & fade again in the fall to gone most of the winter, perhaps another reason among many I dislike winter.

I really don't need the WVIZ translator, but I did need to use it a couple times this season, I never decoded it on 38 though.

Quote:
They probably would fix it if you made a generous donation. The engineer probably won't fix anything that's non-essential if he's not getting paid to do it.
I have my WVIZ coffee cup, do you have yours?
post #12941 of 13469 Old 07-15-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:

If you want to read the full FCC decision, it's here: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-19-649A1.pdf

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #12942 of 13469 Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question:
I have mentioned since my move to Massillon nearly perfect signals on almost all Cleveland area channels with a Mohu Leaf 50 and an amplifier up against a living room window. Since this morning, I only get 6 channels-WDLI and WVPX with ION subchannels. In practically the same spot where I got 33-49 channels depending on the time of day and the conditions outside..It is very sunny outside today. The amp is connected and on, and all other connections and plugs seem fine as far as I know. Even the WDLI/WVPX signal is one bar-Usually perfect 4 bars on my Haier 48" TV set..Other inputs are fine as well..Just wondering why the sudden drop in signals?

Yesterday afternoon is when I last got the nearly full number of signals (33 at the time)
post #12943 of 13469 Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 AM

It's bizarre, I get responses every time and have a direct line of email open with the broadcast manager... Not sure why I'm apparently special. I'll do me best to be your ambassador
Quote:
[Name redacted],
Thank you for your inquiry.

For the past few weeks our main transmitter has been on an auxiliary antenna operating at reduced power while preparations are being made for replacing our main antenna.

This has reduced the signal the translator receives and part of the time it is not enough to pass a usable signal on.

We are changing channels on both transmitters as part of the FCC TV Repack process to make more channels available for wireless broadband.

When we finish with everything, WVIZ will be sending out a stronger signal and we will have improved the receive system at the translator. The goal is to make both signals better than ever.

Originally this was scheduled to be completed on August 2, but our schedule has slipped a little. We are in Phase 4 of the repack and delays on equipment deliveries and a shortage of tower crews has thrown the FCC’s schedule off already. Fortunately we are only a little off-schedule and now expect our work to be finished around the middle of August.

We will still be changing channels on WVIZ on August 2, while the translator will be off the last week of July and should be back on about August 4 on its new channel.

More information and updates can be found here:

https://www.ideastream.org/plan-to-scan

Your patience during this period is greatly appreciated.
So they're aware..
jkeldo likes this.
post #12944 of 13469 Old 07-15-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's bizarre, I get responses every time and have a direct line of email open with the broadcast manager... Not sure why I'm apparently special. I'll do me best to be your ambassador

So they're aware..
So the translators signal is dependent on the OTA reception of the main signal in Thompson? Interesting, I thought it was hard wired or sent by a PBS Downlink.

No Signal means they are transmitting a unusable signal, so it can be purely random on days of better reception, & why they are leaving it on.

Guess that explains it.
jkeldo likes this.
post #12945 of 13469 Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
So the translators signal is dependent on the OTA reception of the main signal in Thompson? Interesting, I thought it was hard wired or sent by a PBS Downlink.

No Signal means they are transmitting a unusable signal, so it can be purely random on days of better reception, & why they are leaving it on.

Guess that explains it.
This is from a previous email response the explains it better

Quote:
Thank you for your comments and information. We do not have a way to directly observe the signal off the translator, so we do not become aware of some problems in real time.

Just so you know, WKSV does have a backup generator, but we are no longer on the same tower.

The problem you saw is not an STL problem. This is a translator and we pick up the signal directly from the WVIZ transmitter.

There are multiple possible causes.

We have been having problems with the main transmitter. We think we have stabilized it for now and in August we put a new transmitter on air on a different frequency as part of the FCC repack program.

The antenna system for the receiver at Thompson does not seem ideal to me. Even on the old translator most of the outages were due to poor reception. We are designing a new configuration to try to address that weakness. That and a higher power on the new main transmitter should improve the reliability noticeably.

In the meantime, thank you for your patience.
jkeldo likes this.
post #12946 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Update on my indoor antenna situation:

I switched out the Mohu Leaf for a RCA Amplified Antenna. Although because of where the TV sits, I couldn't get the antenna to the window where I was getting the better signals. Where I was able to put it was halfway on the wall..WDLI/WVPX were much improved, and I got blips out of most of the others..It seems to me if I could get the RCA Antenna to the window, it would be at least as close as the Mohu Leaf 50 as far as the Cleveland Channels coming in..
post #12947 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 243
New DTV captured this morning in Akron Ohio using my Winegard 8200 on a 50’ tower... W28DR RF channel 28, virtual channel 24 displaying as “WNPB”, a translator in Cedarville, WV @ 167 miles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A041B7A5-A885-488A-A637-523C3ADC6F99_1563301307791.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2591470   Click image for larger version

Name:	B047403B-1688-4BAF-956C-BD301322D22E_1563301319539.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	2591472  
post #12948 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Well wouc tv is gone again its been gone for a week decided to turn on 87.7 and la mega is back full power in audio in Amish country some 75 miles away ....
post #12949 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btlr8809 View Post
Well wouc tv is gone again its been gone for a week decided to turn on 87.7 and la mega is back full power in audio in Amish country & some 75 miles away ....
I just checked WLFM on my TV and it appears to still be blasting out a whopping 3 watts here. I wonder if they increased power for the audio?

post #12950 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I just checked WLFM on my TV and it appears to still be blasting out a whopping 3 watts here. I wonder if they increased power for the audio?
I did a rescan yesterday, no sign of WLFM (my TV does both analog & digital scans). I live ~1 mile due south of the antenna farm.
post #12951 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I've emailed them a few times in the past too with no replies, but I think they were listening once and took one of my emails into consideration.
Sounds like pay to play! But WVIZ is not as responsive as WEAO when I have emailed them a few times.
post #12952 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLones1060 View Post
Update on my indoor antenna situation:

I switched out the Mohu Leaf for a RCA Amplified Antenna. Although because of where the TV sits, I couldn't get the antenna to the window where I was getting the better signals. Where I was able to put it was halfway on the wall..WDLI/WVPX were much improved, and I got blips out of most of the others..It seems to me if I could get the RCA Antenna to the window, it would be at least as close as the Mohu Leaf 50 as far as the Cleveland Channels coming in..
The Mohu Leaf works well if you're in a strong signal area which you might have thought you had. I was helping someone recently with reception in an apartment building and the amplified Leaf did not work any better than an amplified Philips unit. Ultimately, an unamplified cheap rabbit ears type with a loop and tuning switch worked the best. So experiment but don't expect miracles.
post #12953 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's the same for me over here. Snowy picture, good audio. Signal strength is the same on my Grundig portable as it has been for some time.
post #12954 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
I did a rescan yesterday, no sign of WLFM (my TV does both analog & digital scans). I live ~1 mile due south of the antenna farm.
They're on but it's a snowy picture with good audio. Also a few miles from the towers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2591564  
post #12955 of 13469 Old 07-16-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 243
It looks like everyone's dream who has those cheap China-made plastic-covered antennas may be delayed a bit regarding WKBN/WYTV. If I'm reading it right, they have an STA for a short antenna on super-low power to start their repack channel... not sure how long it'll take until they reach blowtorch earth-scorching category.
post #12956 of 13469 Old 07-17-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
It looks like everyone's dream who has those cheap China-made plastic-covered antennas may be delayed a bit regarding WKBN/WYTV. If I'm reading it right, they have an STA for a short antenna on super-low power to start their repack channel... not sure how long it'll take until they reach blowtorch earth-scorching category.
I'm quite excited for this, as WYTV/WFMJ are the easiest to get here. I'm mostly excited about WYFX going up on 'the big tower', because I might be able to just shoot for Erie and pull the Youngstown stations off the side, as it does seem like my Cleveland experiment this summer has been an utter failure (sadly.. Even the strongest one for me, WKYC, struggles some days. WEWS is just barely above the noise on a good day, and WQHS is about the same.. And other than the WVIZ translator, that's all I get for Cleveland). WVPX is there sometimes, and is actually about as reliable as WEWS when I bump the antenna slightly to the south to actually shoot for it.. Which I don't really do. None of the other Cleveland stations even show a haystack on the SDR, they are absolutely non-existant out here without some rare local-enhancement tropo.

Used to be able to point pretty much anywhere and still get WKBN (I still get WYTV/WFMJ most of the time, even pointed at Cleveland), and since all three Youngstown stations will shooting more power in my direction even compared to what WKBN was putting out, I'm fairly certain WYTV/WFMJ are going to be there, regardless of where I point. WYFX will be a bit more of a wildcard, as I had to point right at Youngstown to get it before, and it was about 99% there (went from "medium outdoor" to "medium indoor" with the change according to RabbiTears), but sometimes would break up (the LG C7P seems to find 52% "strength" it's absolute floor for decoding reliably, and usually WYFX was at 54%, plus or minus about 4%.. And the C7P is hands down my best set at pulling crap signals out of the weeds)..

And yeah, 2 HD channels with 4 SD channels on one carrier looks about as beautiful as you'd expect, but was still better than WYTV with it's 3 HD and one SD channel (CBS and Fox, both in HD... Both playing NFL games... Yeah, it doesn't matter how good your mpeg2 encoder is, it's not going to handle that gracefully). I suppose if anyone really wants to see just how bad it is, I can dump the raw TS out and upload something from WYTV. The "MyTV" SD subchannel is just unwatchably bad.

Unfortunately DirecTV was my choice for Browns games last year due to this (and probably this year too), as WJW/WOIO are just never going to be options out here and I just couldn't tolerate all of the blockiness. But it'll be nice to have some TV options again.

I appear to be rambling, so I'm just gonna stop typing and hit submit now

Last edited by Token Majove; 07-17-2019 at 01:14 AM.
post #12957 of 13469 Old 07-17-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
It's the same for me over here. Snowy picture, good audio. Signal strength is the same on my Grundig portable as it has been for some time.
Same out here - extremely snowy, barely visible picture (I can believe this is 3 watts), but the audio is booming in (no way this is 3 watts). 20+ miles from the towers.

Last edited by nsa1062; 07-17-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #12958 of 13469 Old 07-17-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Probably not for more than a few weeks - there is a shortage of tower crews and delays in equipment being delivered that is affecting a lot of stations' repack moves (WBNX and WEAO among others).
post #12959 of 13469 Old 07-17-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm quite excited for this, as WYTV/WFMJ are the easiest to get here. I'm mostly excited about WYFX going up on 'the big tower', because I might be able to just shoot for Erie and pull the Youngstown stations off the side, as it does seem like my Cleveland experiment this summer has been an utter failure (sadly.. Even the strongest one for me, WKYC, struggles some days. WEWS is just barely above the noise on a good day, and WQHS is about the same.. And other than the WVIZ translator, that's all I get for Cleveland). WVPX is there sometimes, and is actually about as reliable as WEWS when I bump the antenna slightly to the south to actually shoot for it.. Which I don't really do. None of the other Cleveland stations even show a haystack on the SDR, they are absolutely non-existant out here without some rare local-enhancement tropo.
The Cleveland DMA & media pretty much caters to the South & West sides (where the bulk of the populous is apparently).... West is best & all signals lead to Akron.

Pretty good you can pick a Y-Town with both a CBS & Fox affiliate, I don't have a secondary market with Erie's Stations being as weak as they are, & the hills blocking Y-Town.

I don't recall beoing able to readily pick up Y-Town at my friends in the early '90's on Footville/Richmond Road, though I do know Fox 66 coming in on a regular basis there. She insisted on having Cable though.

Quote:
Unfortunately DirecTV was my choice for Browns games last year due to this (and probably this year too), as WJW/WOIO are just never going to be options out here and I just couldn't tolerate all of the blockiness. But it'll be nice to have some TV options again.
I don't believe in paying the "gods" of sports any more, as it seems WOIO has the Browns locked up till '21, Indians & Cavs vacated to FSO, I just lose interest in them.... the psychological ideals of this is that I'm going to go out & purchase cable or a pay service, as my neighbor asked "whats the matter you don't like sports?", of course, but not that much! Ive been doing without the Browns (& CBS) since something happened to WOIO in the summer of '15.
post #12960 of 13469 Old 07-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

An article on Cleveland.com discussing the WJW-8 future ownership:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...uncertain.html
snowdog 88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception