Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 462 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1887Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #13831 of 14015 Old 09-14-2019, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 48
All my vinyl is upstairs (432 LP's) and if I have to look for an album it would take me about an hour to find it then I would take a nap and forget what I wanted to find before I found it.
JJK
jkeldo likes this.
JJkizak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13832 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 3,066
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
All my vinyl is upstairs (432 LP's) and if I have to look for an album it would take me about an hour to find it then I would take a nap and forget what I wanted to find before I found it.
JJK
I hope it's not hot in your upstairs (attic) or so. I went from around 300 to 80 0r less, but then the CD collection grew a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
Had my fill of vinyl from 1946 to 1986 and will never go back.
JJK
A stylus, cartridge, turntable ect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
Shape of things to come I suppose......
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...fm-broadcasts/
So my Volvo will have a Digital radio? & using the same band as the FM band currently uses? I know it was common in Europe to have indash SW audio in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
Old technology doesn't seem to die in the U.S.:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/14/viny...90percent.html
@ a 490% markup too.

I'll stick with the CD!
jkeldo likes this.
Bismarck440 is offline  
post #13833 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 02:15 AM
Member
 
Token Majove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ashtabula County, Ohio
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I personally only care about a good pressing with a dedicated mastering. Otherwise, vinyl is just a way for hipsters to waste money and differentiate themselves. I usually rip my vinyl to flac and mostly ignore its physical existence... But I can't deny that on some albums, they absolutely butcher the mastering on the CD, but the vinyl is clean/unclipped. It has its place, though I'd prefer they just master the digital version better to begin with :/
jkeldo likes this.
Token Majove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13834 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 03:52 AM
Newbie
 
noblkkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Majove View Post
vinyl is just a way for hipsters to waste money and differentiate themselves. :/
I tend to disagree with this thought....but then I might be a hipster.
noblkkat is offline  
post #13835 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Majove View Post
I personally only care about a good pressing with a dedicated mastering. Otherwise, vinyl is just a way for hipsters to waste money and differentiate themselves. I usually rip my vinyl to flac and mostly ignore its physical existence... But I can't deny that on some albums, they absolutely butcher the mastering on the CD, but the vinyl is clean/unclipped. It has its place, though I'd prefer they just master the digital version better to begin with :/

If you have done any sound manipulation with a good application you wouldn't believe of all the ways you can screw up voices and such with compression, wave hammer, etc. to make them sound like hacksaws
on a good sound system. Then when they run it through an HD-FM station they double it.

JJK
JJkizak is offline  
post #13836 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Token Majove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ashtabula County, Ohio
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblkkat View Post
I tend to disagree with this thought....but then I might be a hipster.
Well ultimately, there is a "vinyl sound" and various characteristics that some people prefer, and I suppose "waste of money" may be a little harsh... Mostly just shocked at how expensive they are these days.
Token Majove is offline  
post #13837 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Token Majove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ashtabula County, Ohio
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
If you have done any sound manipulation with a good application you wouldn't believe of all the ways you can screw up voices and such with compression, wave hammer, etc. to make them sound like hacksaws
on a good sound system. Then when they run it through an HD-FM station they double it.

JJK
"As long as it's as loud as it can possibly be, that's what's most important. Don't worry about the voices or clipping, just make it loud"

--disc producers (speaking to the mastering folks), current day
Token Majove is offline  
post #13838 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Majove View Post
I personally only care about a good pressing with a dedicated mastering. Otherwise, vinyl is just a way for hipsters to waste money and differentiate themselves. I usually rip my vinyl to flac and mostly ignore its physical existence... But I can't deny that on some albums, they absolutely butcher the mastering on the CD, but the vinyl is clean/unclipped. It has its place, though I'd prefer they just master the digital version better to begin with :/
No doubt that many of the new records sold today are marked up fairly high. But if you go to garage sales/flea markets and thrift stores, there is a good supply of clean and not overly used records that can start off someone looking to get into vinyl that doesn't want to spend a lot. There is also a lot of old, worn stuff so you have to examine carefully. Stores such as Half Price books have their place as well, but tend to price higher on used but at least with the new stuff, you can get a deal with coupons if there is something you really want.
jkeldo is offline  
post #13839 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 3,066
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Majove View Post
"As long as it's as loud as it can possibly be, that's what's most important. Don't worry about the voices or clipping, just make it loud"

--disc producers (speaking to the mastering folks), current day
Years ago, we used to convert per customer provided LP to CD as a side service of my ex's business. I did not do many, but one stood out was an old Duane Eddy LP from the early 60's that sounded horribly tinny & low, I was amazed how it sounded, clear & bright plus took out the scratches & pops when finished. If the LP was available on CD we would discourage from converting it.

Correct you can boost to the point of clipping, but I was always careful on wide dynamic ranges, most vinyl LP's do not. I would pre equalize before any boost in volume most of the time I would not touch the volume.
Bismarck440 is offline  
post #13840 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 3,066
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Majove View Post
I personally only care about a good pressing with a dedicated mastering. Otherwise, vinyl is just a way for hipsters to waste money and differentiate themselves.
Hipsters tend to drive the price up on these trendy items, I'm tempted to take a few of my vinyl up to the exchange just to see what they are worth to them, I doubt if I'd get much although they are selling close to if not more than face value of what they went for & I bought them decades ago new.

Face it with each play, vinyl wears out.

Tut tut we can also argue that expensive cables are better too. 😉
Bismarck440 is offline  
post #13841 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Member
 
Token Majove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ashtabula County, Ohio
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Are you implying that my $100 monster cables were a bad purchase? We must now fight to the death.

(Just to be clear since it doesn't always come through well in text, sarcasm....)
Token Majove is offline  
post #13842 of 14015 Old 09-15-2019, 10:06 PM
Senior Member
 
wd8kct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Decoding WKYC and WVIZ while aiming at Youngstown. New antenna or freaky propagation.
wd8kct is offline  
post #13843 of 14015 Old 09-16-2019, 02:33 AM
Member
 
Token Majove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ashtabula County, Ohio
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Decoding WKYC and WVIZ while aiming at Youngstown. New antenna or freaky propagation.
Appears to be propagation, as im still pointing at Erie but pulling in WEWS, WVPX, WEAO, WBNX and WQHS off the back out here in Ashtabula county... As well as a very weak WKYC (not decoding right now but showing up)

Last edited by Token Majove; 09-16-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Token Majove is offline  
post #13844 of 14015 Old 09-16-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 3,066
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Majove View Post
Are you implying that my $100 monster cables were a bad purchase? We must now fight to the death.

(Just to be clear since it doesn't always come through well in text, sarcasm....)
I have some Monster Oxy Free CU I got dirt cheap on clearance, aren't they owned by Wal Mart?

I don't notice the difference they are very heavy & awkward though.
Bismarck440 is offline  
post #13845 of 14015 Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Decoding WKYC and WVIZ while aiming at Youngstown. New antenna or freaky propagation.
The Ch. 3 website is indicating that they are using the "new and improved antenna" here:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/about-u...0-97ba8ae61c70
jkeldo is offline  
post #13846 of 14015 Old 09-16-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,911
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 721
My brother forwarded me this eMail notice from WKYC-TV3:

Quote:

"We are at full power!


Hey everyone! Our new antenna is up and running. You can start scanning now. We are continuing to raise power throughout the afternoon but you may be able to receive us before we hit full power.

For those of you who rescanned in early August and may have either lost our signal, or had difficulty getting a reliable one from us or other local stations since, it's time to rescan your TV once more.

And with Channel 3 airing the Browns game against the Jets tonight, and another Sunday night, rescanning is a must for football fans. It's easy! Just go to wkyc.com/rescan for step-by-step instructions. Chances are you'll find even more great programming you didn't know existed!

There will be some minor interruptions and periods of a weaker signal throughout the week as we finish work on WVIZ's antenna, which is on the same tower as ours. But once you rescan and get our new signal, you do not need to rescan again to get us.

We do want to thank everyone for their patience and understanding during this project. We certainly know it was a frustrating time but hope you enjoy our newer, stronger signal."


- Pj
CleCakYngMfd is offline  
post #13847 of 14015 Old 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Member
 
Token Majove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ashtabula County, Ohio
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
The Ch. 3 website is indicating that they are using the "new and improved antenna" here:



https://www.wkyc.com/article/about-u...0-97ba8ae61c70
It appears, based on my noise floor readings for rf19, that they went full power Sunday, a little after 6pm..
Token Majove is offline  
post #13848 of 14015 Old 09-16-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
The Ch. 3 website is indicating that they are using the "new and improved antenna" here:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/about-u...0-97ba8ae61c70
I hope they fixed those occasional breakups that have been plaguing their channels for the last 3 or so weeks. STL issue?

I haven't checked yet. Been busy. I last checked around 11 am today and the signal to noise ratio was anywhere between 30 dB to 37 dB, jumping wildly like there was multipath. Checking again shortly after gave me a mostly stable signal above 35 dB. Then the SNR was wonky again. WVIZ has been anywhere between 36-88 dB, and they've been like that for the last few days, so I take it that they were the first to switch over to their main antenna.


EDIT: Just checked. Mostly 34 dB, but still jumping anywhere from 35-31 dB. Temporary antenna when first activated seemed better, which was pegging the meter on my Samsung at 38 dB. Almost never got anything lower than 34 dB. Nothing has been changed on my end, so perhaps there's another station on RF 19 creating interference, or that the signal is so strong now that its creating heavy amounts of multipath.

Newer is not always better.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 09-16-2019 at 04:16 PM.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #13849 of 14015 Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I hope they fixed those occasional breakups that have been plaguing their channels for the last 3 or so weeks. STL issue?

I haven't checked yet. Been busy. I last checked around 11 am today and the signal to noise ratio was anywhere between 30 dB to 37 dB, jumping wildly like there was multipath. Checking again shortly after gave me a mostly stable signal above 35 dB. Then the SNR was wonky again. WVIZ has been anywhere between 36-88 dB, and they've been like that for the last few days, so I take it that they were the first to switch over to their main antenna.


EDIT: Just checked. Mostly 34 dB, but still jumping anywhere from 35-31 dB. Temporary antenna when first activated seemed better, which was pegging the meter on my Samsung at 38 dB. Almost never got anything lower than 34 dB. Nothing has been changed on my end, so perhaps there's another station on RF 19 creating interference, or that the signal is so strong now that its creating heavy amounts of multipath.
Regarding WVIZ, the web page article says near the very end:

"Know that there will be some minor interruptions and periods of a weaker signal throughout the week as we finish work on WVIZ's antenna, which is on the same tower as ours. But once you rescan and get our new signal, you do not need to rescan again to get us."
jkeldo is offline  
post #13850 of 14015 Old 09-16-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
Regarding WVIZ, the web page article says near the very end:

"Know that there will be some minor interruptions and periods of a weaker signal throughout the week as we finish work on WVIZ's antenna, which is on the same tower as ours. But once you rescan and get our new signal, you do not need to rescan again to get us."
I see that now...

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #13851 of 14015 Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 PM
Member
 
TLones1060's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Watching The Browns on Channel 3 tonight. I made it a point to watch on OTA antenna rather than Hulu Live Streaming or Massillon Cable TV Since TV 3's antenna was completely done..Amazing the sharpness of the picture via antenna rather than Cable or Streaming. At the beginning of the third quarter I had it on Hulu Live after going to MLB's At Bat app at halftime..The picture was so muddy in comparison. I went back to antenna immediately.
TLones1060 is online now  
post #13852 of 14015 Old 09-17-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,911
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 721
200 Cable TV Companies Sue to BLOCK A La Carte TV:



CleCakYngMfd is offline  
post #13853 of 14015 Old 09-17-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,911
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Well, if TV3 is up to full power, then the 'pattern' is different. It's MUCH weaker and breaking up compared to TV5.

I'll watch the Browns game again from my DVR that recorded via my local Cable system and see if there's any breakup. Also, I'll check yesterday's TV3 PreGame at 7pm and tonight's 7pm News that I record daily.

I stopped recording TV8 News at 10:30pm to 11pm. I don't care for the weather graphics on the Big, Multi-Panel Screen. Stupid, 'lines' all over the lower rez graphics/images.


- Pj
CleCakYngMfd is offline  
post #13854 of 14015 Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Well, if TV3 is up to full power, then the 'pattern' is different. It's MUCH weaker and breaking up compared to TV5.
Pattern should be the same as before. Coverage area should be a tad bit larger compared to their old RF 17 broadcast. They may also still be in the process of fine tuning the transmitter and power levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
I stopped recording TV8 News at 10:30pm to 11pm. I don't care for the weather graphics on the Big, Multi-Panel Screen. Stupid, 'lines' all over the lower rez graphics/images.
Seems like no one wants to or can't present the weather in front of a green screen anymore. Its still better than that 70" TV that they were using during the 4 PM news, but I don't see the point other than showing off their fancy equipment. But yeah, I agree with you.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #13855 of 14015 Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 246
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #13856 of 14015 Old 09-17-2019, 08:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm rooting for them to be sold back to Fox. Would be nice to have a major O&O in town again. Nexstar probably wouldn't be the worst, at least it is not StinkLair, but an O&O will put more money and effort into the channel.
snowdog 88 likes this.
No_Signal is offline  
post #13857 of 14015 Old 09-17-2019, 08:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Speaking of WKYC, I've been seeing teasers about a possible rebranding and look. It also appears that a new logo is being introduced based on the "circle 7" design with a very simplified look. It can be seen on the cover photo of WKYC's Facebook page.
I guess they are following the trend of ditching familiar known logos for plain new ones, like WEWS ditching the circle 5 logo.

They also hired a new female anchor and a male meteorologist. I love how almost every comment was "who is leaving".

They have the name 'wkyc studios' on the anchor desk and above the weather center. The newsroom has the new logo on the wall and some new bright paint on the walls. They are using tight shots on TV but I saw it on instagram. WKYC Studios News.

Last edited by No_Signal; 09-17-2019 at 09:30 PM.
No_Signal is offline  
post #13858 of 14015 Old 09-17-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 252
A few new DTV logs tonight via tropo... WKOW & WISC Madison WI,
WEUX Chippewa Falls, WI 565 miles!,
and KFXB Dubuque IA received in Akron this evening
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019C0CAC-737B-411B-A0DD-30A55915618A_1568779309130.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	2617010   Click image for larger version

Name:	0358656F-DB42-4318-AF1C-F99CD8E34C94_1568779319338.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	2617012   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB15A83B-C2CA-45E6-B8F6-73AF3F11C128_1568779330919.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2617014   Click image for larger version

Name:	777A2EAC-1263-4A24-BBAE-10D44976A358_1568779340709.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	2617016  
Andrew K is offline  
post #13859 of 14015 Old 09-18-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Signal View Post
I'm rooting for them to be sold back to Fox. Would be nice to have a major O&O in town again. Nexstar probably wouldn't be the worst, at least it is not StinkLair, but an O&O will put more money and effort into the channel.
The only downside is that Fox does not have carriage contracts with Antenna TV, Comet & Charge, so all of them will be replaced (likely with Buzzr & Light TV) if Fox does re-acquire WJW. Also, Nexstar doesn't appear to carry Comet & Charge on any of their stations, so those will likely go away soon and probably end up on the DTV America stations for the time being.

If WJW is acquired by Fox, I hope they buy some newer encoders so that the PQ on the subs don't look like web streams on 1 Mbps DSL. 1 HD & 3 SD channels should produce much cleaner results with modern encoders.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #13860 of 14015 Old 09-18-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
The only downside is that Fox does not have carriage contracts with Antenna TV, Comet & Charge, so all of them will be replaced (likely with Buzzr & Light TV) if Fox does re-acquire WJW. Also, Nexstar doesn't appear to carry Comet & Charge on any of their stations, so those will likely go away soon and probably end up on the DTV America stations for the time being.
Really would hate to lose Antenna (and to a lesser extent Comet/Charge), though it would be nice to have Buzzr on a real signal. I already get Light TV on WMFD and don't really watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
If WJW is acquired by Fox, I hope they buy some newer encoders so that the PQ on the subs don't look like web streams on 1 Mbps DSL. 1 HD & 3 SD channels should produce much cleaner results with modern encoders.
And also fix the aspect ratio - they have been cropping Comet and Charge to 4:3 forever.
nsa1062 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off