Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 474 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1932Likes

post #14191 of 14344 Old 11-12-2019, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhardy View Post
21.1 WFMJ Signal Strength 76% Signal Quality 59% Symbal Quality 100%

27.1 WKBN Signal Strength 93% Signal Quality 98% Symbal Quality 100%

This was from a HDHR model T1 US on 11-11-2019. At 6:00 pm
Brian,
Just curious how, what etc you use your HDHR 1st gen. I have one but currently do not use due to lack of dlna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14192 of 14344 Old 11-13-2019, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Once again, thanks for the reports. They help. I just need the weather to break enough to get this pole off my tower and the guys on their way home for Thanksgiving.

W44CR-D is no more. They switched to CH13 Sunday evening.

Bob
C.E. WFMJ/WBCB
post #14193 of 14344 Old 11-13-2019, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubidoo View Post
Brian,
Just curious how, what etc you use your HDHR 1st gen. I have one but currently do not use due to lack of dlna.

Its used as a signal meter and with windows media center, manual recordings with the help of Titan TV for my guide, will upgrade when ATSC 3 is available.

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14194 of 14344 Old 11-13-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
You beat me to it... W44CR moved to 13, and is being received at my Doylestown autologger.
post #14195 of 14344 Old 11-13-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
That might explain the faint RF 13 signal that I've occasionally been getting without a decode. However, I've been seeing that for the last month, so its probably from someone else. Hopefully W44CR-D won't interfere with my tropo reception of WTVG from Toledo.

Newer is not always better.
post #14196 of 14344 Old 11-13-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 724
With my ClearStream-4 antenna mounted on a shower curtain rod, sitting next to my computer leaning on the wall pointing East, WFMJ 21 (RF33) registered in my Scan Update, but the signal level is in the mid 20's with a static broken image. (Rock-solid 30 is needed for steady pic/sound.) 27/33 comes in with a level of upper 50's to low 60's.

Pointing back to North is my best direction for RF 18 (19/43). It comes and goes. I'll hafta try other locations to see if 19/43 comes in better.

- Pj
post #14197 of 14344 Old 11-13-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
You beat me to it... W44CR moved to 13, and is being received at my Doylestown autologger.
And in the tradition of my hd8200u being absolutely terrible with VHF, no catch here. Usually had a serviceable signal on 44 and pointing right at it, 13 is supposedly much stronger according to the predictions, and I'm sure my supposedly much worse antenna would pull it without issue...

Last edited by Token Majove; 11-13-2019 at 03:25 PM.
post #14198 of 14344 Old 11-13-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
That might explain the faint RF 13 signal that I've occasionally been getting without a decode. However, I've been seeing that for the last month, so its probably from someone else. Hopefully W44CR-D won't interfere with my tropo reception of WTVG from Toledo.
It would probably be Low Power WIVX-LD 13 in Loudonville..Part of WIVM's Network..I get it here in Massillon perfectly.
post #14199 of 14344 Old 11-13-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLones1060 View Post
It would probably be Low Power WIVX-LD 13 in Loudonville..Part of WIVM's Network..I get it here in Massillon perfectly.
Its strange because sometimes my TV will show some signal strength bars on RF 13, but there's no decode. I just get a screen that says "mode not supported", which is an indication that the signal has been detected, but there's no decode.

post #14200 of 14344 Old 11-14-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLones1060 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
The transmitter for WIVX-LD isn’t anywhere near Loudonville, despite being licensed to that city. The transmitter is at the WIVM studio in North Canton.

By the way, the signal strengths for a couple of the Cleveland stations looked low yesterday... particularly W16DO, WBNX, and WKYC. I wonder if there was ice buildup on the tower that required a reduction in power. My Yaesu rotor actually froze yesterday morning and would not rotate. Once the sun came up, it started working again.
post #14201 of 14344 Old 11-14-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
The transmitter for WIVX-LD isn’t anywhere near Loudonville, despite being licensed to that city. The transmitter is at the WIVM studio in North Canton.

By the way, the signal strengths for a couple of the Cleveland stations looked low yesterday... particularly W16DO, WBNX, and WKYC. I wonder if there was ice buildup on the tower that required a reduction in power. My Yaesu rotor actually froze yesterday morning and would not rotate. Once the sun came up, it started working again.

The Lexan radomes being used now shed ice and snow. They are spaced out from the body of the antenna and the slots. The old antennas just had slot covers and deicer rods. Very often over the summer a lightening strike would short the rods and create an interesting light show at the breaker panel when winter came. We had resistance measurements tacked to the panel that were known good. Any deviation from that and you shut the breaker off until you could get the rods replaced. That was always on the fall maintenance list.

I went back to 2006 and found the antenna we took down from 1964, well, half of it anyway. You can see the slot covers and the deicer rods in the old antenna. Over the slots of the new antenna you can see the dipoles added to give vertical polarization.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New antenna slots and radome.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	2640990   Click image for larger version

Name:	TFU27 Install 050.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	895.7 KB
ID:	2640992  
nsa1062 and jkeldo like this.

Bob
C.E. WFMJ/WBCB

Last edited by Chief Engineer; 11-14-2019 at 09:02 AM.
post #14202 of 14344 Old 11-14-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Majove View Post
Are you north of the ridge? I can't remember, I think youre lake county, right?

It's the same thing that kills Cleveland for me, the signals fly right over.. yet Jefferson is further away and lower in elevation, but it makes it there. If you're comfortable sending coordinates or an address near-ish your location, I can run a path loss and obstruction calculation for you and see how much height you might need to theoretically pull it in? Obviously it's mostly for shoots and googles, but could be interesting.
That the graphical map from the Google Satellites, or a text analysis, & is only for Terrain & not man made objects & trees I assume? I also have the Ridge over in Euclid but the Cleveland signals still make it over for the most part. Being very close to SR 2, it was a concern when they put up the noise barriers, though shortly after completion is when I lost my roof antenna & had to revert to the attic setup anyway.
post #14203 of 14344 Old 11-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
That the graphical map from the Google Satellites, or a text analysis, & is only for Terrain & not man made objects & trees I assume? I also have the Ridge over in Euclid but the Cleveland signals still make it over for the most part. Being very close to SR 2, it was a concern when they put up the noise barriers, though shortly after completion is when I lost my roof antenna & had to revert to the attic setup anyway.
Sounds willowick-ish.. and yeah, it's a tough spot for both directions. I used to listen to hot 101 when I lived in Eastlake as a young'n.. awful signals coming over those hills. None of the Cleveland tv stations were very easy to get there either (we were pretty much right on the lake by Surfside)... 3 was always a nightmare, UHF was easier, but nothing ever looked as good as we got from the cable. Granted, we didn't have real antennas, but shouldn't need such dramatic measures to pull in stations from the city we weren't even that far away from.

But still, even if the ridge hurts, the towers are usually high/close enough to mitigate shadows from the ridge pretty well.. it's like that for WENZ out here, Chardon and Thompson aren't enough to block the NRSC-5 signals from them, but pretty much every other Cleveland station, tv and fm? Just a touch too far, and those hills cast an awful shadow out here.

I never even considered the highway barriers.. I do wonder how that would have factored in.
Michael P 2341 likes this.
post #14204 of 14344 Old 11-14-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Sounds willowick-ish.. and yeah, it's a tough spot for both directions. I used to listen to hot 101 when I lived in Eastlake as a young'n.. awful signals coming over those hills. None of the Cleveland tv stations were very easy to get there either (we were pretty much right on the lake by Surfside)... 3 was always a nightmare, UHF was easier, but nothing ever looked as good as we got from the cable. Granted, we didn't have real antennas, but shouldn't need such dramatic measures to pull in stations from the city we weren't even that far away from.

But still, even if the ridge hurts, the towers are usually high/close enough to mitigate shadows from the ridge pretty well.. it's like that for WENZ out here, Chardon and Thompson aren't enough to block the NRSC-5 signals from them, but pretty much every other Cleveland station, tv and fm? Just a touch too far, and those hills cast an awful shadow out here.

I never even considered the highway barriers.. I do wonder how that would have factored in.
I had a friend who lived south of Euclid Ave. in Willowick. He was on high ground and got the Toledo VHF's like locals on many occasions. There was nothing but Lake Erie between his house an Toledo.
post #14205 of 14344 Old 11-14-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

A bit further out in Mentor, I'm being close enough to the sound barriers that they potentially towered over the elevation of the roof antenna. We are in a Valley next to 2 which was lower, I have salt leeching into the Basement & Garage from runoff.

Were you up by the Harbor? I knew someone on Forest that was another large step down from Lakeshore.
post #14206 of 14344 Old 11-14-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
A bit further out in Mentor, I'm being close enough to the sound barriers that they potentially towered over the elevation of the roof antenna. We are in a Valley next to 2 which was lower, I have salt leeching into the Basement & Garage from runoff.

Were you up by the Harbor? I knew someone on Forest that was another large step down from Lakeshore.
I grew up right up the hill on Portage by Wicklow, and that final Forest hill was (thankfully) not one I had to contend with. Signals over the lake came in like an absolute dream, though. Had an old tv in my room, and Canada with a coat hanger was very common

Last edited by Token Majove; 11-14-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #14207 of 14344 Old 11-14-2019, 11:07 PM

"mudkip" signal logger will be down into tomorrow.. Changing over the home server to a more powerful system and a different Linux distribution and didn't really plan it out all that well... Should be back sometime tomorrow.
post #14208 of 14344 Old 11-14-2019, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I grew up right up the hill on Portage by Wicklow, and that final Forest hill was (thankfully) not one I had to contend with. Signals over the lake came in like an absolute dream, though. Had an old tv in my room, and Canada with a coat hanger was very common
Almost looked like they were lower than the lake on the north end of Forest, I'm winging from memory but Portage was an East West cross street? I'll have to pull a map up, that was so long ago.

Missed the entire Brown's game, 8 was a pixelated mess until 5 minutes after it was over.
post #14209 of 14344 Old 11-15-2019, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks for that clarification. I think 11 is there too..
post #14210 of 14344 Old 11-15-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Almost looked like they were lower than the lake on the north end of Forest, I'm winging from memory but Portage was an East West cross street? I'll have to pull a map up, that was so long ago.

Missed the entire Brown's game, 8 was a pixelated mess until 5 minutes after it was over.
Yeah, portage is the road that forest turns into, since forest is one way.. you have to go left on portage and down the hill to get back on forest. Not sure who planned that out, but it was weird and confusing.

And 8s signal couldn't nearly have been as bad as the end of that game :/
Michael P 2341 likes this.
post #14211 of 14344 Old 11-15-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I guess I won't be watching Buzzr on WUEK-LD 26.2 anymore... Since last week, the channel developed that awful juddering just like some of the other DTV America channels, making it impossible to watch. I tried to contact them [DTV America] on their website about it, but I can't send my message because it requires me to enter a Captcha code, which the forum fails to provide. I instead sent my message to HC2, but have yet to hear back from them.

I also see that Decades finally decided to zoom in on their 4:3 shows just like they do on their sister networks. I really wish these networks (and as of recently, distributors) would leave the aspect ratio alone and let us see the entire picture without zooming or stretching. I also noticed that Dick Van Dyke on Decades and Gunsmoke on MeTV appear to have some interpolation going on as the episodes look like they are running at 29fps, which gives the illusion that the "film" is running slightly fast.

post #14212 of 14344 Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, portage is the road that forest turns into, since forest is one way.. you have to go left on portage and down the hill to get back on forest. Not sure who planned that out, but it was weird and confusing.

And 8s signal couldn't nearly have been as bad as the end of that game :/
Yeah it was! Think that was staged? 🤔 the rivalry is kind of dying off, Pittsburg has always been dominant in my life & we just accept that now, only bitter in the few years the Browns were actually able to field a team! & that was very few. Strange how it came in a few minutes after the game ended like it was a conspiracy or something.

You're right the traffic pattern was weird there I had to come in or leave on a side street or something. but I think only part of it was one way. I used to go down there in the late 80's. I thought it was wide enough for 2 cars though.
post #14213 of 14344 Old 11-16-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah it was! Think that was staged? the rivalry is kind of dying off, Pittsburg has always been dominant in my life & we just accept that now, only bitter in the few years the Browns were actually able to field a team! & that was very few. Strange how it came in a few minutes after the game ended like it was a conspiracy or something.

You're right the traffic pattern was weird there I had to come in or leave on a side street or something. but I think only part of it was one way. I used to go down there in the late 80's. I thought it was wide enough for 2 cars though.
I don't think staged, but that rivalry was pretty much dead.. I still hate Pittsburgh and always will, but the football rivalry wasn't even on life support anymore, it was pronounced dead, cremated, and the remains were dumped in lake Erie.. But all of a sudden, out of nowhere, things got very interesting very quickly. Main reason I don't think staged was it wouldn't have been Garrett. We couldn't afford to lose him to a stunt.. anything is possible, though, especially in football.. and I do think the xfl may have them a bit concerned right now since they're in a precarious state currently. Either way, the fallout has been absolutely golden.

And yeah, that area was very odd. You had to leave on a different road, and also recall that the connecting roads in the middle weren't one way.. so it was just a weird "loop" with roads in the middle (I used quotes because a loop implies it's continuous, whereas I count no less than 6 turns onto different roads to actually complete the loop.. though I suppose any of the connecting roads in the middle counts as a completion, even though they're two way roads.... And narrower than the one way loop. Who the hell designed that?)
post #14214 of 14344 Old 11-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Does anyone know why there are so many listings for WEAO on the RabbitEars site:

https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?...est=list&sort=

It seems that they are duplicates but not sure.
post #14215 of 14344 Old 11-19-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
Does anyone know why there are so many listings for WEAO on the RabbitEars site:

https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?...est=list&sort=

It seems that they are duplicates but not sure.
Whoa. Um, not sure what's going on there, but those are definitely duplicates and something is definitely wrong with it. I'm not able to poke at the code at the moment; if I forget and don't look at it by this weekend, please remind me.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #14216 of 14344 Old 11-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Whoa. Um, not sure what's going on there, but those are definitely duplicates and something is definitely wrong with it. I'm not able to poke at the code at the moment; if I forget and don't look at it by this weekend, please remind me.

- Trip
OK, thanks for checking Trip. I was looking there to see what is going on with WEAO since they are still on the lower part of the tower I believe and was wondering when their tower work would be finished. Thanks again.
post #14217 of 14344 Old 11-19-2019, 04:07 PM

Trip might be the only government employee I truly respect (including, but not limited to, the FCC). Much love, Trip!
Michael P 2341 and Tbear626 like this.
post #14218 of 14344 Old 11-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 49
3.1 dropping out during the 6 PM NEWS tonight. That is unusual for me.
JJK
post #14219 of 14344 Old 11-21-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Trip might be the only government employee I truly respect (including, but not limited to, the FCC). Much love, Trip!
While I appreciate the thought, and I really do, I work in a building full of hard-working people. We all took the same oath of office, and we all try to do our jobs to the best of our abilities.

I'm just the one you happen to know.

- Trip
Michael P 2341 and jkeldo like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #14220 of 14344 Old 11-24-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally 19 is coming in on a Sunday, & they have paid programming, no Brown's game.

On Fox today what's up with that?🤔.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page