Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 475 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1973Likes

post #14221 of 14533 Old 11-24-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Finally 19 is coming in on a Sunday, & they have paid programming, no Brown's game.

On Fox today what's up with that?🤔.
crossflexing. The old idea of AFC road team on CBS and NFC road team on FOX isnt iron clad anymore (hasnt been for a few years)
Weeks 5-17 subject to change due to flex scheduling. Games may also be flexed from CBS to FOX or vice versa.

Miami & Cleveland on FOX and Carolina/New Orleans on CBS. Its done to get most eyeballs on the best game. Otherwise if the NFC game was on FOX it would be split between that and Seattle/Philly.

Plus the CBS slate is junk this week outside of the NFC game. [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] With Cleveland at home this week CBS HAS to show the late game (the singleheader network cannot show a game same timelslot as the home team in the primary market)

By the way...Cleveland had 5 games on FOX last year....3 of which (under old rules) shouldnt have been
Michael P 2341 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14222 of 14533 Old 11-24-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
While I appreciate the thought, and I really do, I work in a building full of hard-working people. We all took the same oath of office, and we all try to do our jobs to the best of our abilities.

I'm just the one you happen to know.

- Trip
I know you gotta say that, and I actually know quite a few, and dislike most of the ones I know, and they don't like me either... But it's okay, you're the man
post #14223 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Majove View Post
I know you gotta say that, and I actually know quite a few, and dislike most of the ones I know, and they don't like me either... But it's okay, you're the man

A bit of tropo this weekend, but checking your autologger, it looks like it's been dead the past few days... you got that coax plugged in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14224 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Where was all that SNOW Mark Johnson & the other weather gurus said we were going to get? I'm glad it never showed, but I build up a boatload of anxiety because of these folks, they scare because they care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
crossflexing. The old idea of AFC road team on CBS and NFC road team on FOX isnt iron clad anymore (hasnt been for a few years)
Weeks 5-17 subject to change due to flex scheduling. Games may also be flexed from CBS to FOX or vice versa.

Miami & Cleveland on FOX and Carolina/New Orleans on CBS. Its done to get most eyeballs on the best game. Otherwise if the NFC game was on FOX it would be split between that and Seattle/Philly.

Plus the CBS slate is junk this week outside of the NFC game. [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] With Cleveland at home this week CBS HAS to show the late game (the singleheader network cannot show a game same timelslot as the home team in the primary market)

By the way...Cleveland had 5 games on FOX last year....3 of which (under old rules) shouldnt have been
I thought that only applied in interconfrence play? Ironically FOX & CBS being our VHF Networks too.

I actually took off about 20+ years from watching NFL recently returned to watching occasionally in the last 5 or so years, perhaps the rules had changed?

Last edited by Bismarck440; 11-25-2019 at 10:31 AM.
post #14225 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Where was all that SNOW Mark Johnson & the other weather gurus said we were going to get? I'm glad it never showed, but I build up a boatload of anxiety because of these folks, they scare because they care?
As of late it seems like the meteorologists are just about as inaccurate as the weather app on Windows 10.

Newer is not always better.
post #14226 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
A bit of tropo this weekend, but checking your autologger, it looks like it's been dead the past few days... you got that coax plugged in?
Actually watched football on both of the hdhrs, and they're working great right now... Yet the autologger keeps stopping, and the only fix is to reboot the hdhr... I really don't understand why it keeps doing this :/

Edit: Hey, wait a second, both of them appear to be up and running... Were you trying to give me a heart attack? It didn't work, i'm still alive (for now, lol)

I suspect that the east/west (really just east for now, gonna have to get another tuner and yet more antennas) being lower to the ground and inside of the barn (metal roof) may limit tropo a bit until I get them outside in the spring and find new spots for em... Always a work in progress it seems :/

Last edited by Token Majove; 11-25-2019 at 01:45 PM.
post #14227 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone getting WEKA-LD 41? Rabbitears says that its back on the air, but I'm not seeing anything here.

post #14228 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Anyone getting WEKA-LD 41? Rabbitears says that its back on the air, but I'm not seeing anything here.
I can get it just barely with my regular antenna which is pointed south and is very directional. Using an indoor one pointed downtown, it comes in much better.
post #14229 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Whoa. Um, not sure what's going on there, but those are definitely duplicates and something is definitely wrong with it. I'm not able to poke at the code at the moment; if I forget and don't look at it by this weekend, please remind me.

- Trip
Trip, just reminding you as the WEAO duplicates are still showing. Thanks again.
post #14230 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
A bit of tropo this weekend, but checking your autologger, it looks like it's been dead the past few days... you got that coax plugged in?[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Actually watched football on both of the hdhrs, and they're working great right now... Yet the autologger keeps stopping, and the only fix is to reboot the hdhr... I really don't understand why it keeps doing this 😕

Edit: Hey, wait a second, both of them appear to be up and running... Were you trying to give me a heart attack? It didn't work, i'm still alive (for now, lol)

I suspect that the east/west (really just east for now, gonna have to get another tuner and yet more antennas) being lower to the ground and inside of the barn (metal roof) may limit tropo a bit until I get them outside in the spring and find new spots for em... Always a work in progress it seems :/
WJRT 12 Saginaw and CBLT 20/5 Toronto were decoding here in the middle of Saturday afternoon. My Doylestown autologger had WSBT 29/22 and WSJV 30/28 South Bend. Maybe you were aiming the wrong direction... didn’t see anything pop up on your logger.

I’ve got word from someone in Cleveland that WEKA-LD is off the air.

Anyone have news on the status of WGGN and their antenna for channel 3?
post #14231 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
I can get it just barely with my regular antenna which is pointed south and is very directional. Using an indoor one pointed downtown, it comes in much better.
So they must be broadcasting at .075 watts from downtown. Kinda pointless seeing that WUEK carries the same networks with a much better signal.

Is Buzzr on WEKA 41.2 suffering from that awful video shudder?

post #14232 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So they must be broadcasting at .075 watts from downtown. Kinda pointless seeing that WUEK carries the same networks with a much better signal.

Is Buzzr on WEKA 41.2 suffering from that awful video shudder?
Will have to check on Buzzr as I don't watch that much but on that Soul of the South channel, it looks like judder (or whatever problem that Country Channel used to have but not as bad).
post #14233 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
WJRT 12 Saginaw and CBLT 20/5 Toronto were decoding here in the middle of Saturday afternoon. My Doylestown autologger had WSBT 29/22 and WSJV 30/28 South Bend. Maybe you were aiming the wrong direction... didn’t see anything pop up on your logger.

I’ve got word from someone in Cleveland that WEKA-LD is off the air.

Anyone have news on the status of WGGN and their antenna for channel 3?
WEKA is on the air but fairly weak as I mentioned earlier unless your antenna is pointing north (mine points south).
post #14234 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Will have to check on Buzzr as I don't watch that much but on that Soul of the South channel, it looks like judder (or whatever problem that Country Channel used to have but not as bad).
Must be a 2:3 pulldown issue, similar to what WOIO 19.2 & WUAB 43.2 suffers from. Most commercials on Buzzr (through WUEK 26.2) look fine and the one E/I show that I was watching looked fine too. Everything else judders badly and is unwatchable. This started about 3 weeks ago. I contacted both HC2 Broadcasting and Buzzr about it and got nowhere.

post #14235 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Trip, just reminding you as the WEAO duplicates are still showing. Thanks again.
Thanks. I did poke at it a bit. I fixed the issue with the columns going out of alignment; that was pretty straight-forward. As for the duplicates, I figured out why it's happening, but I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to fix it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #14236 of 14533 Old 11-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. I did poke at it a bit. I fixed the issue with the columns going out of alignment; that was pretty straight-forward. As for the duplicates, I figured out why it's happening, but I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to fix it.

- Trip
Thanks for checking on it and keeping us informed with the website. It's a very useful tool.
post #14237 of 14533 Old 11-26-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought that only applied in interconfrence play?
no the rule use to be the visiting team's network had the game. So as long as Cleveland was the road team it was on CBS. That rule changed a few years ago (4 or 5) where games can be "flexed" to the other network or Sunday Night Football or different timeslot with a 12 day notice (week 17 is a 6 day notice). It allows the networks to get the best games to the biggest audience. Thats why you've seen NFC-NFC matchups in the late DH slot on CBS. I gave this past week's reasoning already.
post #14238 of 14533 Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not even the folks at the DMV? I found even the folks at the IRS can even have a sense of humor.

Quote:
Must be why 16 was knocked off on Saturday I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
no the rule use to be the visiting team's network had the game. So as long as Cleveland was the road team it was on CBS. That rule changed a few years ago (4 or 5) where games can be "flexed" to the other network or Sunday Night Football or different timeslot with a 12 day notice (week 17 is a 6 day notice). It allows the networks to get the best games to the biggest audience. Thats why you've seen NFC-NFC matchups in the late DH slot on CBS. I gave this past week's reasoning already.
CBS here then opted for Paid programming, there was no early game. CBS WOIO had Browns Tailgate Sunday on at noon, I assumed it was going to go right to the game afterward.
post #14239 of 14533 Old 11-26-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
CBS here then opted for Paid programming, there was no early game. CBS WOIO had Browns Tailgate Sunday on at noon, I assumed it was going to go right to the game afterward.
since CBS had the singleheader this week (only one game per market) and Cleveland was at home CBS could ONLY show the late game. No game can be shown same timeslot when the local team is home (there is a test rule this year but it refers to the DH network). Thats why you normally get those late FOX duds and here in Minneapolis we usually get the late CBS game from Oakland, Denver or LA (Vikings are usually in early timeslot on FOX)

example is this week coming up. Browns/Steelers on CBS early. Oakland & KC CBS late...Since FOX only has one game FOX Cleveland has the late game of LA Rams @ Arizona

Last edited by unclehonkey; 11-26-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #14240 of 14533 Old 11-26-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Comet on 8.3 is finally in widescreen, but the channel is still flagged as 4:3. Looks like WJW is still using their crappy outdated encoders, but hopefully that might change soon.

post #14241 of 14533 Old 11-26-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Comet on 8.3 is finally in widescreen, but the channel is still flagged as 4:3. Looks like WJW is still using their crappy outdated encoders, but hopefully that might change soon.
Hopefully that change isn't wjw dropping comet now that they're nexstar
post #14242 of 14533 Old 11-27-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I checked last night, and WGGN is still not on the air yet. There was no signal on channel 3 at all. I did however see a couple yellow bars pop up from WTLW 4 and WLMB 5. Can we get an update from the resident Tee-Vee Fitty Doo expert?
post #14243 of 14533 Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully that change isn't wjw dropping comet now that they're nexstar
I can't say for sure, but Nexstar didn't or hardly had any Comet affiliates before the Tribune merger. I know that December 2017 was when both Comet and Charge launched on WJW, so perhaps Nexstar may not renew their contracts.

post #14244 of 14533 Old 11-27-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
That's strange... Even with the antenna in your attic, all the locals should be booming in for you without a pre-amp. Does WKYC improve any without the pre-amp?

Where is the antenna located in your attic? Is it near a window? Do you have a metal roof or any kind of insulation or duct work with aluminum foil on it? Sometimes it can be something simple like moving the antenna to a new spot, which was necessary for some viewers after the repack.
So I removed the pre-amp - I lost 23/49/55 but the stations I care about come in strongly still. WKYC was still heavily pixelated!! Signal strength meter went from 100% to 40%.

Winegard antenna finder app said my antenna was pointed directly at tower for WKYC and WVIZ (WVIZ station engineer said they share a tower). I moved antenna just a hair - like 10 degrees - and that more than doubled WKYC signal strength to ~90%.

tl;dr removed pre-amp, moved antenna 10 degrees - now all is well. Thanks!!
post #14245 of 14533 Old 11-27-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc6 View Post
So I removed the pre-amp - I lost 23/49/55 but the stations I care about come in strongly still. WKYC was still heavily pixelated!! Signal strength meter went from 100% to 40%.

Winegard antenna finder app said my antenna was pointed directly at tower for WKYC and WVIZ (WVIZ station engineer said they share a tower). I moved antenna just a hair - like 10 degrees - and that more than doubled WKYC signal strength to ~90%.

tl;dr removed pre-amp, moved antenna 10 degrees - now all is well. Thanks!!
Sometimes little things like placement and orientation make a big difference. Glad to have helped.

Also interesting is the fact that you as well as a few others get replies back from WVIZ, but I never hear a thing back from them. They must hate me or something and have my email blocked. I just recently sent them an email about possible interference from T-Mobile's new 600 MHz frequency, which they believe that the terrain is blocking their new signal in some places. This is highly unlikely as the antenna for their new frequency is on the same tower, at the same height as their old one, has the same pattern, and broadcasting at a slightly higher power, so I don't think that's it.

EDIT: Scratch that... I ACTUALLY did get an email this morning (after my last check) from WVIZ, probably because I used a direct email this time and not the general contact forum. They told me that my suggestions will be forward to the engineering department to help assist them with developing problems.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 11-27-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #14246 of 14533 Old 11-27-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Also interesting is the fact that you as well as a few others get replies back from WVIZ, but I never hear a thing back from them. They must hate me or something and have my email blocked.
I sent them a message on facebook with my email address - they passed it along to the engineer and he reached out to me.
post #14247 of 14533 Old 11-27-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I checked last night, and WGGN is still not on the air yet. There was no signal on channel 3 at all. I did however see a couple yellow bars pop up from WTLW 4 and WLMB 5. Can we get an update from the resident Tee-Vee Fitty Doo expert?
nothing filed with the FCC in regards to a license to cover. Last thing is a suspension of operations in October. That superceded a construction permit extension to April 15, 2020 to get channel 3 up and running
post #14248 of 14533 Old 11-28-2019, 02:27 AM

Wind has been playing havoc with my signal quality, and WICU appears to have dropped off the air at 2am (went from about 70 to 0).

WFMJ is handling my Erie antenna like a champ, but WYTV is bouncing between 55-95 extremely rapidly, and losing lock at times. I'll keep it on Erie as a low priority auxillary (so if the Youngstown tuner is being used or needed by WYFX, the DVR server has extra tuners to jump to), but definitely adding WFMJ to the Erie tuner mux as additional tuner sources. I'm damn impressed by how solid it's been since they got their new antenna up.

Even the 8200u pointing right at Youngstown is letting WYFX dip into the 60s, normally it's pegged at 98-100. The other Youngstown channels are doing fine on that antenna, but I'm strangely disappointed by WYFX dipping like that. Perhaps a db4 won't cut it for 100% Youngstown reliability afterall. Perhaps an hdb91x in the barn is the way to go for Youngstown.

Edit: nevermind on WYFX... Winds blew the antenna out of alignment. Thought I had it pretty tight, but those winds, man....

Last edited by Token Majove; 11-29-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #14249 of 14533 Old 11-29-2019, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
WFMJ is handling my Erie antenna like a champ, ...but definitely adding WFMJ to the Erie tuner mux as additional tuner sources. I'm damn impressed by how solid it's been since they got their new antenna up.
Good to know. I was only able to send 147kW in that direction on CH 20. An omni antenna with lower gain and some vertical polarization helped a lot. I’ve had a lot of positive reports from viewers closer in that have a much better signal.
Token Majove likes this.

Bob
C.E. WFMJ/WBCB
post #14250 of 14533 Old 11-30-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I notice now the WVIZ Thompson Repeater in 34 has been useless in the last couple months the signal has diminished, now when I enter 25 on the set it goes to the repeater on 34 first not 35 even though I hid 34.🤔

Token, have you noticed any diminished signal on 34? Or perhaps this is like my reverse effect with foliage on the trees enhancing my signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page