Jonesboro, AR - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 04-09-2020, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any chance of getting the program guide info turned on for KJNB??

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 04-10-2020, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been wondering the same thing ever since they went on the air, but just have not given it much thought since I don't regularly rely on the EPG. Anyway, after seeing your post here, I just shot an email to the stations general manager. We'll see what their replay is. It usually takes two or three days for them to get back to me.

Edit: She was quick with her reply today. Says she is "checking into it", and asked how we received their signal. She will be checking with the Programming Director to see why we do not see the Program Guide. Says she will let us know what she finds out. Stay tuned...

Last edited by Neil L; 04-10-2020 at 08:40 AM.
post #33 of 43 Old 04-20-2020, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Awesome Neil!

We cut the cord last year.....current TV doesn't have a guide but still nice to hit the "info" button and see what is supposed to be on.

Thanks again!

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 05-12-2020, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here I am again.....still having some strangeness going on with KJNB and others.

I always got them on "virtual" channel 42. I upgraded to a much larger antenna pointed at Memphis and now I get a low power station W15EA-5 on virtual channels 42-1 thru 42-6. Physical channel is showing as 15.

I get KJNB on virtual channel 22-3 thru 22-5 now....physical channel shows as 22.

My main set is a Vizio. Everyone of these sets has some strange tuner quirks compared to Samsungs and STB tuners I have used.

Any way to get rid of the lower power stations during a scan but keep the ones I want from Memphis WMC, WHBQ, WKNO that I can get now but get rid of the unwanted "low powers" that are messing up my virtual channel lineup?

post #35 of 43 Old 05-12-2020, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post
Here I am again.....still having some strangeness going on with KJNB and others.

I always got them on "virtual" channel 42. I upgraded to a much larger antenna pointed at Memphis and now I get a low power station W15EA-5 on virtual channels 42-1 thru 42-6. Physical channel is showing as 15.

I get KJNB on virtual channel 22-3 thru 22-5 now....physical channel shows as 22.

My main set is a Vizio. Everyone of these sets has some strange tuner quirks compared to Samsungs and STB tuners I have used.

Any way to get rid of the lower power stations during a scan but keep the ones I want from Memphis WMC, WHBQ, WKNO that I can get now but get rid of the unwanted "low powers" that are messing up my virtual channel lineup?
My opinion is if you can see the channel being scanned at the moment, you can just simply pull the antenna cable out when it comes to channel 15, and then, put it back in when it passes 15.

NashDigie signing off.

Nashville Digital TV News & More

post #36 of 43 Old 05-15-2020, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't see the scan sadly.

After some thought.....since I get Fox and CBS and MeTV out of Memphis I can actually live without the KJNB and their lack of guide data.

As long as I keep getting KAIT and AETN off the backside of the antenna losing KJNB is a small price to pay to gain WMC, WHBQ, WKNO.

post #37 of 43 Old 05-15-2020, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
There is significant overlap between those two signals, maybe Trip in VA who runs RabbitEars and works at the FCC can do something to force either KJNE-LD or W15EA-D to change their major numbers because of the conflict:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....0&cir=&circen=
post #38 of 43 Old 05-16-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

I dont know if this would work on your tv (it does on my Toshiba) but try this after a scan
-remove the W15EA stations from your channel list
-remove the KJNE/KJNB stations from the list
-back out of menus so you are on a Tv channel
-type in 22.3 to bring up KJNE. Most Tv's if you type in the RF station it will remap to its PSIP. It should add the other stations and remap to 42-X
post #39 of 43 Old 05-16-2020, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why would W15EA use PSIP 42 when they use to be on 50?

I thought W15EA would have to use 15 as PSIP.
post #40 of 43 Old 05-16-2020, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Why would W15EA use PSIP 42 when they use to be on 50?

I thought W15EA would have to use 15 as PSIP.
W15EA-D was originally W42BY on 42. Class A stations follow the full-power rule, which is that their virtual channel should match their analog unless it creates a conflict with another station that was there first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
There is significant overlap between those two signals
The overlap requirement applies to the protected contour. For full-power stations, that's the 41 dBu (on UHF) noise-limited contour. For Class A and LPTV, though, it's actually the 51 dBu, and thus is this map: https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....63db41d09c0b20

Not nearly as severe. Technically speaking, KJNE-LD could change its virtual channel as LPTV stations are not required to follow the full-power rule.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #41 of 43 Old 05-16-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
W15EA-D was originally W42BY on 42.
oh did not know that. I just went off the info on rabbitears and fccdata.org which showed it previously on 45, 50 and now 15
post #42 of 43 Old 05-18-2020, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is the idea behind these low powers? Place holders for network buyouts in the future?

I still don't understand all I would like to about the way KJNB uses 42 and 39.

post #43 of 43 Old 05-18-2020, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
KJNB-LD (RF 27, Virtual 39) and KJNE-LD (RF 22, Virtual 42) are seperate low power signals transmitting from different tower sites to cover more of the Jonesboro DMA:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....0&cir=&circen=

You may be able to receive both where you are, but there are areas that only get decent reception of one of them.

Network buyouts are never going to happen in a market this small, Jonesboro is ranked 183 out of 210. Plus you don't have enough full power stations like larger markets, so CBS and Fox are stuck on LP signals, while your CW and NBC are subchannels on your ABC station. Networks prefer major and large markets for their O&O's, the few smaller markets that have an O&O are usually quirks related to past mergers. (i.e. The 55th ranked Fresno having an ABC O&O because of the CapCities/ABC merger)

Memphis on the otherhand is ranked 51st, has enough full power stations for the Big 5, Ion, TBN, a local Memphis PBS, a cross-border Mississippi Public Broadcasting station, local religious stations, and a bunch of Class A and LPTV stations affiliated with other networks like MyNetworkTV, Azteca, Daystar, 3ABN and other diginets. At one point their Fox was an O&O, but back in 2014 Fox traded it and Boston's Fox station to Cox to get an O&O station in the San Francisco market since it's also home to a NFC team.

Last edited by KyL416; 05-18-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page