Harrisburg, PA - HDTV - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1021 of 1053 Old 06-06-2018, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclement View Post
Maybe you can use the tower where they drop the pickle since they did not drop it on New Year's.

My biggest issue is that I was able to put my antenna in one location and pick up almost all the channels within my area (includes Baltimore, Washington, some Philadelphia and some Harrisburg stations). This works 90% of the time and I got about 70 channels/sub-channels and I only had to slightly move the antenna to get the fringe stations. Except for channel 21 in Harrisburg, I have always had issues getting other Harrisburg channels (channels 27 and 33 - where they moved channels 49 and 45). I assume this is a topographic issue since channel 21 is a strong signal. When I did get the other Harrisburg channels I had to rotate the antenna about 180 degrees from the other channels. Most of my digital tuners do not let me add channels only rescan. So when I rescan I lose the stations from the other directions. I do have one unit that let's me add channels (can rotate, scan and add channels and then repeat and do not lose channels I previously scanned). I may play around with moving the antenna and rescanning when the weather gets better (do not like to rotate during sub-freezing weather to avoid damaging the motor). I do use amplifiers and amplified distribution systems.

Maybe I should just read more.
I have tried moving the antenna(rescan) in an attempt to get channels 49 and 45. I have not been able to pull either of those channels in. Not sure why. I can get channel 21.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1053 Old 06-22-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclement View Post
I have tried moving the antenna(rescan) in an attempt to get channels 49 and 45. I have not been able to pull either of those channels in. Not sure why. I can get channel 21.
What is channel 45? The only Harrisburg station I get now is wgal. Wpmt is blocked because of their move. I rely on Baltimore stations and get locals from Harrisburg from Dish. I don’t like this repacking at all. Not good for us that use an antenna.
post #1023 of 1053 Old 06-25-2018, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Slightly off topic.. I have comcrap for high speed internet but not cable. When I plug the cable line into my HDTV’s QAM tuner, it finds about 40 DTV channels but does not display anything on those channels...ranging b/w 2-1... up to 40-2. Anyone familiar with Comcast's open channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1053 Old 06-26-2018, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3NTJ View Post
Slightly off topic.. I have comcrap for high speed internet but not cable. When I plug the cable line into my HDTV’s QAM tuner, it finds about 40 DTV channels but does not display anything on those channels...ranging b/w 2-1... up to 40-2. Anyone familiar with Comcast's open channels?
If your like me you are probably being forced to pay for internet and limited basic cable. It’s cheaper with combined services. My bill is $107. I never use the limited basic as I use Dish. Comcrap is the only company that I am aware of that you can drop services and your bill goes up. Truly an evil company.
post #1025 of 1053 Old 06-26-2018, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Local HD via Comcast requires HD tier?

I apologize in advance if I put this in the wrong forum. So I have Dish for tv and Comcast for internet. I pay over $100 for internet plus which includes limited basic cable that I never used. I called a few years ago to drop the basic cable and was told my bill would go up. Bundled services are cheaper. So I want to add cable/Dish to another room but dont’t want to pay Dish for another Joey. So I thought since I’m already paying Comcast why not just use limited basic in that room. Basically I just want locals in that room. The local station that my wife watches as she gets ready for work is blocked by a mountain so I can’t use my antenna for that station. So Comcast sent me a new box and to my surprise non of the locals are in hd. They look horrible. When I go on their site and look at my channels the hd locals are part of limited basic. I also pay a $7.75 broadcast tv fee. I called and Comcast claims I need to add the hd package or whatever that costs $10 a month just to watch my locals in hd. What the heck?
post #1026 of 1053 Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2314
Interesting. We have Comcrap for internet (250/10) and Limited Basic tv, period. The Limited Basic gives us all of our local stations in HD and we are actually getting about 300 down and 12 up. All for $90.30 per month. We use our own router and modem so there is no rental fee. Comcrap only charges us for the main STB and does not charge us for the other two STB's for the upstairs tv's, and they too receive local stations in HD. We do pay extra for the HD local access but that's included in the above monthly fee.

It appears that Comcrap has different pricing structures for different areas. We round out our entertainment with an Apple TV 4k (Netflix, HBO Go, etc).
post #1027 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Interesting. We have Comcrap for internet (250/10) and Limited Basic tv, period. The Limited Basic gives us all of our local stations in HD and we are actually getting about 300 down and 12 up. All for $90.30 per month. We use our own router and modem so there is no rental fee. Comcrap only charges us for the main STB and does not charge us for the other two STB's for the upstairs tv's, and they too receive local stations in HD. We do pay extra for the HD local access but that's included in the above monthly fee.

It appears that Comcrap has different pricing structures for different areas. We round out our entertainment with an Apple TV 4k (Netflix, HBO Go, etc).
Wow, you sir are one lucky Comcraper. The crap that I’m watching looks like when streaming first came out. Like 200i or something. Black bars on top and bottom. I know that the local channels don’t broadcast that crappy signal, they broadcast hd through their antennas.
post #1028 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2181 Post(s)
Liked: 4089
You should probably take this to the Local Reception thread for your market. If locals aren't encrypted, you could just jack your TV into the cable, choose "cable" in its source menu and scan. I'm not Comcast, but I have a similar setup to yours without any cable boxes whatsoever.

Please keep topic titles specific. See my edit. Also, please add your location to your profile.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1029 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
If your like me you are probably being forced to pay for internet and limited basic cable. It’s cheaper with combined services. My bill is $107. I never use the limited basic as I use Dish. Comcrap is the only company that I am aware of that you can drop services and your bill goes up. Truly an evil company.
I have concrap's 300 Mbps internet only, no cable TV through them. I had heard that concrap had some free QAM channels, but I can't tune them even though my new TV finds a bunch of them.. all channels are like 2-1, 2-3.... and all are black with 'no information' provided.
post #1030 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have concrap's 300 Mbps internet only, no cable TV through them. I had heard that concrap had some free QAM channels, but I can't tune them even though my new TV finds a bunch of them.. all channels are like 2-1, 2-3.... and all are black with 'no information' provided.
Yes I tried yesterday they are scrambled in Dillsburg. $10 a month to watch them in hd.
post #1031 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Most Comcast plants in this region have NO clear channels any longer. There are several Comcast areas around the country where I DO get some clear channels, but not here. I can verify this in several places around this area but not sure where you are. They had to do this to prevent people from doing what you are trying to do.

Not sure what your scan is picking up, but it is likely AVC/mpeg4, which your TV doesn't expect (Comcast has reformatted most of their lineup to AVC, and even if your TV can play this format with some of its other "smart features", it likely isn't built to process mpeg4 coming with anything tuned on the RF/Cable port)
post #1032 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 08:41 AM

I am located in the Lancaster, PA area.
post #1033 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2314
Quote:
Wow, you sir are one lucky Comcraper. The crap that I’m watching looks like when streaming first came out. Like 200i or something. Black bars on top and bottom. I know that the local channels don’t broadcast that crappy signal, they broadcast hd through their antennas.
To be honest, before we moved in January, our tv was strictly OTA and the HD reception was much better than any Comcrap or AT&T cable, period. OTA is not possible in our new location but there is only one or possibly two other houses in our court that are using the Comcrap box at the end of our property so that probably has something do to with the reception because the reception here is just as good as it was when we had OTA last year in another state.

Dr. Don is correct, if you do have reception issues then I'd take your questions to to appropriate HDTV area and read the stickies.
post #1034 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Yes, COMCAST charges $10/mo for HD vice SD service, but does NOT charge extra for the HD Boxes....or swapping SD Boxes for HD Boxes:
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Custom...r/td-p/3039909

Cost of SERVICES (e.g. whether HD, or individual Channel Tiers) is the SAME for one or many drops...either your whole house has it or NOT. Also note that Cable Co's HIDE info re. their least expensive "Cord Cutter" Special Offering [MAY be called "BASIC" or "BARE BONES"], which only costs about $16/mo plus cost for each "TV Adapter" (about $7/mo ???) plus $10/mo for HD. It is probably the same 10+ Local/Govt Channels listed in the $46.95/mo LIMITED BASIC package except WITHOUT OnDemand:
https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers

You can save some $$$ over the cost of an HD-STB (Cable Box) by using what COMCAST calls a "TV ADAPTER" [aka DTA = Digital Terminal Adapter] which come in either SD or HD versions....I didn't find very much about this on your COMCAST Website, other than:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...igital-adapter [NO Premium or PPV/VOD Channels]

Last edited by holl_ands; 06-27-2018 at 11:55 AM.
post #1035 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
Yes, COMCAST charges $10/mo for HD vice SD service, but does NOT charge extra for the HD Boxes....or swapping SD Boxes for HD Boxes:
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Custom...r/td-p/3039909

Cost of SERVICES (e.g. whether HD, or individual Channel Tiers) is the SAME for one or many drops...either your whole house has it or NOT. Also note that Cable Co's HIDE info re. their least expensive "Cord Cutter" Special Offering [MAY be called "BASIC" or "BARE BONES"], which only costs about $16/mo plus cost for each "TV Adapter" (about $7/mo ???) plus $10/mo for HD. It is probably the same 10+ Local/Govt Channels listed in the $46.95/mo LIMITED BASIC package except WITHOUT OnDemand:
https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers

You can save some $$$ over the cost of an HD-STB (Cable Box) by using what COMCAST calls a "TV ADAPTER" [aka DTA = Digital Terminal Adapter] which come in either SD or HD versions....I didn't find very much about this on your COMCAST Website, other than:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...igital-adapter [NO Premium or PPV/VOD Channels]
Thanks for the info.
post #1036 of 1053 Old 06-27-2018, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2181 Post(s)
Liked: 4089
Threads merged.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1037 of 1053 Old 08-10-2018, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I have a WGAL signal issue. Figure I would start here.

I have a Winegard antenna in my attic and I use Tivo Roamio OTA for my tuner. All works great except for the last few months the signal for WGAL drops for a half second every few minutes. Sometimes more, like every minute and sometimes it is every few minutes. All other channels are fine. Only WGAL does this.

When the signal drops it's always audio drop but sometimes the picture, or parts of it will pixelate as well. It varies in what it does, but always audio for sure. The drop is a half second or less, enough to miss a word or two from a sentence.

I show two WGAL channels when I scan. a WGAL-DT and WGAL-LD(I think that is what they are titled). Both do it. The signal strength of DT is about 82 while the signal strength of LD is about 59. But again, both drop the signal persistently.

Last night I tried unchecking the channels in my Tivo channel list one at a time and that didn't work. Then I ran channel scan again. Before I scanned the drop was happening every minute or so. After I scanned it seemed like it was fixed because it was a few minutes and it didn't happen.....but then after 5 minutes or so it started. Maybe that was just coincedence? Not sure.

So, I'm trying to decide if this is a signal issue or a Tivo box issue....I would think signal since all other channels are fine.
post #1038 of 1053 Old 08-11-2018, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_b View Post
I have a WGAL signal issue. Figure I would start here.

I have a Winegard antenna in my attic and I use Tivo Roamio OTA for my tuner. All works great except for the last few months the signal for WGAL drops for a half second every few minutes. Sometimes more, like every minute and sometimes it is every few minutes. All other channels are fine. Only WGAL does this.

When the signal drops it's always audio drop but sometimes the picture, or parts of it will pixelate as well. It varies in what it does, but always audio for sure. The drop is a half second or less, enough to miss a word or two from a sentence.

I show two WGAL channels when I scan. a WGAL-DT and WGAL-LD(I think that is what they are titled). Both do it. The signal strength of DT is about 82 while the signal strength of LD is about 59. But again, both drop the signal persistently.

Last night I tried unchecking the channels in my Tivo channel list one at a time and that didn't work. Then I ran channel scan again. Before I scanned the drop was happening every minute or so. After I scanned it seemed like it was fixed because it was a few minutes and it didn't happen.....but then after 5 minutes or so it started. Maybe that was just coincedence? Not sure.

So, I'm trying to decide if this is a signal issue or a Tivo box issue....I would think signal since all other channels are fine.
I also have an attic antenna and the wgal signal is very strong at my location. 100/100 without a preamp. It’s the only strong tv signal I receive. I seem to have more issues with vhf than uhf. During all these storms vhf channels break up more. Has there been long stretches in the past that you received wgal perfectly? This could be many things. Multipath, overload, trees blowing in the signal path. Once the leaves drop if your signal improves then you will know why. Also, check your lightbulbs in your house. I had interference on vhf channels because of a bad bulb. Signal would be fine and then drop out on and off when light turned on. Took me weeks to solve. And you show two main wgal channels? I’m not sure why you are receiving two different wgal signals? I get the main wgal and 1 subxhannel. Both show same signal strength and quality.
Is your antenna vhf/uhf. You may need a more directional vhf antenna.

Last edited by keeper; 08-11-2018 at 01:40 AM.
post #1039 of 1053 Old 08-11-2018, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
And you show two main wgal channels? I’m not sure why you are receiving two different wgal signals? I get the main wgal and 1 subxhannel. Both show same signal strength and quality.
WGAL has two signals, the main one on channel 8, and a UHF translator on the WITF tower on channel 49.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1040 of 1053 Old 08-11-2018, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WGAL has two signals, the main one on channel 8, and a UHF translator on the WITF tower on channel 49.

- Trip
Thanks for the info. I never knew that. I’m blocked from Harrisburg locals due to the mountain. Wgal is the only Harrisburg station I receive.
post #1041 of 1053 Old 08-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It really does sound like local interference especially since it just started a few months ago but it is odd that it is affecting both channels. I would start by bypassing the Tivo and hook directly to the TV and see if the problem is still there. Or if you have a second TV put it side by side, one though the Tivo and the other direct to the TV and see if it happens to both at the same time.
post #1042 of 1053 Old 08-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No WGAL?

I live in Shippensburg,Pa. I have a Channel Master 3020 w/amplifier. I can get all of Harrisburg stations very clear and I can get Fox 43 from York as well but no WGAL? Did scan after scan but no WGAL? Anyone else having these problems? Just wondering
post #1043 of 1053 Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 143
<<--post removed as the post above mine was in a new thread. My post was to read the stickies at the top of the forum-->>

Last edited by unclehonkey; 08-14-2018 at 11:22 AM.
post #1044 of 1053 Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadams53 View Post
I live in Shippensburg,Pa. I have a Channel Master 3020 w/amplifier. I can get all of Harrisburg stations very clear and I can get Fox 43 from York as well but no WGAL? Did scan after scan but no WGAL? Anyone else having these problems? Just wondering
Hmmm. WGAL is from Lancaster with a transmitter located about 50 miles away from you. This is about ten miles farther away than the Harrisburg or York transmitters. You might need more VHF gain to receive it. Then again, there might be an obstruction in the way. Hopefully someone in your area will have a better idea on any topography problems. Good luck.
post #1045 of 1053 Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamajestic View Post
It really does sound like local interference especially since it just started a few months ago but it is odd that it is affecting both channels. I would start by bypassing the Tivo and hook directly to the TV and see if the problem is still there. Or if you have a second TV put it side by side, one though the Tivo and the other direct to the TV and see if it happens to both at the same time.
This is a good point, I will try bypassing the Tivo and see what I get. It is strange that it is ONLY WGAL that is doing it. All other channels are perfectly fine and all pretty much have the same signal strength as WGAL.

After I did the rescan and noticed it seemed to do it less, it is back to doing it every minute or so. I am going to rescan and see if I notice it less. It's so weird that it is only WGAL and on both feeds. I do live with 2 miles of the WITF dishes. Maybe even closer. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it though since it is on both feeds.
post #1046 of 1053 Old 09-26-2018, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
greetings
i am new resident in lancaster county
comcast for internet
but relying on roof top antenna for TV signal
roof top antenna is located on 2nd floor, back room of 3 story home
that location is the SW part of the house
thus, the 3rd story front 2/3rds of the house would be partial block to signal from NE
i am able to get the following channels:
8.1, 8.2, 15.1, 21.1, 21.2, 21.3, 33.1, 33.2, 43.1, 43.2
for which i am quite thankful (to be free from cable providers for TV)
i do not, however, seem to be able to find signal for ABC network channel
which would be coming from Harrisburg (or Philly) i.e. 27.1 (or 6.1)
any suggestions?
basic roof antenna was here when moved in
have tried indoor antennas, with and without signal amplifier.
roof antenna seems to be the best reception of all
but NO ABC
would really like to catch the Penn State game this coming Saturday (9/28/2018)
TIA
respectfully
GLakeDylan
post #1047 of 1053 Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glakedylan View Post
greetings
i am new resident in lancaster county
comcast for internet
but relying on roof top antenna for TV signal
roof top antenna is located on 2nd floor, back room of 3 story home
that location is the SW part of the house
thus, the 3rd story front 2/3rds of the house would be partial block to signal from NE
i am able to get the following channels:
8.1, 8.2, 15.1, 21.1, 21.2, 21.3, 33.1, 33.2, 43.1, 43.2
for which i am quite thankful (to be free from cable providers for TV)
i do not, however, seem to be able to find signal for ABC network channel
which would be coming from Harrisburg (or Philly) i.e. 27.1 (or 6.1)
any suggestions?
basic roof antenna was here when moved in
have tried indoor antennas, with and without signal amplifier.
roof antenna seems to be the best reception of all
but NO ABC
would really like to catch the Penn State game this coming Saturday (9/28/2018)
TIA
respectfully
GLakeDylan
Without knowing exactly where you are in the county, which antenna or where you have it aimed, it's difficult to help much.

ABC Philly is probably out because it is a totally opposite direction from the others you are recieving. WHTM likely transmits from a tiny bit farther from your other channels, slightly aimed more to the West and Hi-VHF, so you may need a more tuned antenna and/or find the sweet-spot to get more power on RF10.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90388b727bc374
post #1048 of 1053 Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm looking for some help in the Harrisburg area. I'm in Etters, PA near the top of Reesers Summit, the mountain is to my north, so I think this is causing me issues. I was in a different location in this area when I first started OTA TV, and LOVE IT. I had an Attic mount Antennas Direct ClearStream 2 Complete Long Range UHF/VHF Antenna. We are now in our new home in Etters and I again mounted the same antenna in the attic, we have a 2 story home. I positioned the antenna to split the different between Fox (47) and ABC (10). We were doing alright until, some shows were pixelated, but now it seems to be worse. Thoughts on ways to boost it, or would I need to move the antenna to the roof? I'd like to avoid the roof just because I do not like ladders . Maybe a different antenna all together?

TV Fool Link: It will not let me post my link because my post count is at 4, and must be at 5. So I'll post this and follow up with my link
post #1049 of 1053 Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #1050 of 1053 Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Out of everything in that TVFool, there are actually only five signals local to you:

WGAL-8 (63.6 dB NM/135 deg/14.2 mi/LOS)
WHTM-10 (29.9 dB NM/322 deg/12.0 mi/2Edge) [Also carries WLYH/Religious]
W07DP-7 (16.7 dB NM/310 deg/13.6 mi/2Edge)
WHP-21 (16.6 dB NM/345 deg/11.9 mi/1Edge) [Also carries WXBU/Comet]
WITF-36 (5.6 dB NM/345 deg/11.9 mi/1Edge) [Also carries WPMT/FOX]

Everything else either is no longer on the air (TVFool has gone out of date) or is not local to you. Ultimately, your problem is that you need to bring in WITF while not damaging WHTM, which I know has a pretty crummy signal. (I rather doubt the programming on W07DP-D is worth chasing, as it's now owned by the same company that owns WLYH-49.) Given how weak WITF is at your location, and how small the CS2V is, I suspect you need either a bigger antenna or to get the antenna outside, even if it's not on the roof.

Alternatively, have you tried physically relocating the antenna within the attic? Like cell phones, OTA reception can have dead spots where signal is bad and hot spots where signal is good. Just because you have the antenna aimed properly doesn't mean that relocating it even a little bit might not make a lot of difference.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page