3Likes

post #3871 of 3889 Old 12-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
KHRR is not very strong and tends to be unstable. Signals from Mt. Bigelow are good and reception is reliable except for KMSB and KUVE which are competing with stations in Cananea Mexico.

Unfortunately, you're gonna lose KHRR as well. The Telemax station in Cananea, currently on RF 43, is supposed to move to RF 16, setting up co-channel interference with KHRR. I'm surprised that more Tucson stations didn't set up repeaters to serve Sierra Vista and the San Pedro valley like KVOA did. I guess they don't consider Cochise County an important part of their market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3889 Old 12-14-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1911 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post
Unfortunately, you're gonna lose KHRR as well. The Telemax station in Cananea, currently on RF 43, is supposed to move to RF 16, setting up co-channel interference with KHRR. I'm surprised that more Tucson stations didn't set up repeaters to serve Sierra Vista and the San Pedro valley like KVOA did. I guess they don't consider Cochise County an important part of their market.

Yes, I'm aware of that and KHRR will be wiped out. The FCC doesn't consider me to be in the Tucson market so they've let these Mexican stations on the same channels. I beg to differ.

Chuck
post #3873 of 3889 Old 12-15-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xichlo View Post
Anyone know whats going on with 4 VHF by "A" mountain I have a VHF antenna at about 25' and direct sight 7-8 miles it goes in and out all the time lately even in perfect weather. I get from 40-55% Signal Quality and 15 -25 DB, are the playing around, tuning or bad transmitter?
If you have power line noise or some other sort of intermittent interference, that could account for the big swings in Signal Quality. You need a real Signal Strength meter to see if that remains stable when the SQ goes up and down. Otherwise it's going to be tough to diagnose. At 7-8 miles LOS there should be no change in Signal Strength ever.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3874 of 3889 Old 12-15-2019, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That's my point, 13 VHF is transmitting from same tower and stays solidi really think its their Transmitter, was hoping to find somebody that has info on whats going on. About a month ago, I can't remember which Channels it was, might have been the 4's were off a full day, transmitters went down. Never seen anything like this, no one announces they are going to be down or changing freq, all secret. I really think OTA in Tucson is only holding on till they can sell their Bandwidth Freq space, like the newspaper, its a dead business
post #3875 of 3889 Old 12-16-2019, 12:50 PM

OK, got a hold of KVOA today, yes they are having issues for those getting their signal from "A" Mountain
post #3876 of 3889 Old 12-18-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Never seen anything like this, no one announces they are going to be down or changing freq, all secret. I really think OTA in Tucson is only holding on till they can sell their Bandwidth Freq space, like the newspaper, its a dead business

It's not about being secret but about lack of paying attention to low power stations and translators. Many of them are not monitored by the owners so when a problem occurs a long time may go by before it gets fixed. Viewers calling or e-mailing often gets action, if you can figure out who to contact. Rules for LPTV are lax compared to full power stations which leads to this lack of attention to LPTV stations. I've seen a few LPTV stations run as though they're full power stations and often carry some sort of network programming. These stations are more reliable. KUDF-LP and KFTU-CD look as though they may fall into this category in Tucson.

There are a lot of people who think OTA is dead. Maybe but I doubt it's anytime soon. I think the push to have all information delivered over the internet is a bad idea. It's good to have alternate sources of information like broadcast TV and radio during emergencies when the internet and cell phones are most likely to stop working.

Chuck
Micke S likes this.
post #3877 of 3889 Old 12-18-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kttu

KTTU has been back to lower power the last few days, at least 10dB lower and maybe as much as 15 dB. They have not filed a reduced power notice with the FCC yet. Last time they said they were operating at only 1 KW ERP but my spectrum analyzer says it's more like 15-50 KW ERP instead of the normal 480 KW.

Chuck

Edit: As of 1/3/19 KTTU is still on reduced power with no STA request filed with the FCC to explain why.

Edit: As of 1/11/19 KTTU is back to full power.
Micke S likes this.

Last edited by Calaveras; 01-12-2020 at 10:07 AM.
post #3878 of 3889 Old 12-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Again, my thoughts, the "Owners" are just Broadcasting minimal cost shows and transmission's to hold ownership of Bandwidth for later Sales to Cell Phone and other use Companies. They are not making "Huge" profits from advertising, make much more from Cable Fees, only maintaining OTA because FCC will take License if they stop and that would mean huge loss when Freq's get Auctioned off
post #3879 of 3889 Old 02-22-2020, 11:52 AM

Wow, 13 group were off this morning, just checked a few minutes ago, best ever pictures across the board. Maybe they got the new gear in and upgraded 4 and 13 today, both dramatic increase in quality and signal numbers and actual picture quality.
post #3880 of 3889 Old 02-23-2020, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Wow, 13 group were off this morning, just checked a few minutes ago, best ever pictures across the board. Maybe they got the new gear in and upgraded 4 and 13 today, both dramatic increase in quality and signal numbers and actual picture quality.
The 13 group includes 13, 11, and 18. Chan 4 has a different owner/operator. Any improvement to 4 is unlikely to be related to anything involving the 13 group.
post #3881 of 3889 Old 02-23-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR27 View Post
The 13 group includes 13, 11, and 18. Chan 4 has a different owner/operator. Any improvement to 4 is unlikely to be related to anything involving the 13 group.
Possibly since 13 was off, maybe they replaced, adjusted, repaired to eliminate interference with 4, 4 would come and go at different times, breaking up. don't know but has been rock solid since. Talked to someone at 4 on 12/17/19 after they had been off air for a while that said the had equipment problems back then and 4 had been unreliable since then till now. Just hope its fixed, don't really care what had happened if its finally fixed. 11 and 18 are not trans from that tower, just 13 and 4

Last edited by xichlo; 02-23-2020 at 08:56 PM.
post #3882 of 3889 Old 03-01-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Possibly since 13 was off, maybe they replaced, adjusted, repaired to eliminate interference with 4, 4 would come and go at different times, breaking up. don't know but has been rock solid since. Talked to someone at 4 on 12/17/19 after they had been off air for a while that said the had equipment problems back then and 4 had been unreliable since then till now. Just hope its fixed, don't really care what had happened if its finally fixed. 11 and 18 are not trans from that tower, just 13 and 4

From reading one of your previous posts it appears you are using a UHF antenna with an add-on for high VHF. K04QP (KVOA) is on RF 4, low VHF. You have no antenna designed for low VHF. Even if it works most of the time it's more susceptible to interference than it would be if you had a real antenna for low VHF. Your reception issues may not be the transmitter but interference on your end. You can't tell.

My advice to anyone who needs to receive a low VHF station is to use a directional antenna designed to include low VHF. Every low VHF antenna will be low gain but the rejection of unwanted side and rear signals can greatly improve reception.

Chuck
post #3883 of 3889 Old 05-19-2020, 02:45 PM

Here we go again, I guess its cost cutting, Get TV gone, LX (NBC) added
post #3884 of 3889 Old 05-21-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

KTTU is operating at reduced power again. They're about 12 dB down here (about 30KW), same as I've seen before. I wonder what their problem is? This has been going on for many months.

Chuck
post #3885 of 3889 Old 05-23-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

LX (NBC) is on KHRR 40-3.

Chuck
post #3886 of 3889 Old 05-23-2020, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here we go again, I guess its cost cutting, Get TV gone, LX (NBC) added

According to Rabbitears Get TV is still on KUVE.

Chuck
post #3887 of 3889 Old 05-23-2020, 12:16 PM

Yea everything is back up, that LX on 40.3 had bad equipment would scramble every few minutes, they might have had the other 2 off for interference or using that equipment to work getting LX up and running. I wish the Spanish stations would add English sub and audio, they often have better programming.
post #3888 of 3889 Old 05-23-2020, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
I wish the Spanish stations would add English sub and audio, they often have better programming.
Univision, UniMas and Telemundo do have English subtitles on many primetime shows if you select CC3. Like right now a rerun of La Voz Kids is on Telemundo's East coast feed and the English subtitles are available. They also make an attempt at live translations for some of their event programming like Teleton USA and the Latin Grammys, but because of the live nature they often fall behind, give up and jump ahead.

Audio though is another mess involving rights issues, UniMas does have English commentary on SAP for their rare exclusive MLS games. But for most other sports and dubbed tv shows and movies, other networks have the English rights. For other original/imported shows English dubs usually don't exist unless they were popular enough to be sold internationally to air in countries that prefer dubs over subs.

Last edited by KyL416; 05-23-2020 at 02:49 PM.
post #3889 of 3889 Old 06-02-2020, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

KTTU has filed a Reduced Power notification with the FCC saying they're operating at 1KW. They say a new transmitter has been ordered and it is expected to be installed in the next few weeks.

I assume that's 1KW transmitter power and 15KW ERP. Basically they're a low power station right now.

They still have a 12 dB Noise Margin here which is good enough.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page