Tucson, AZ - HDTV - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #121 of 3878 Old 10-27-2003, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am just wondering what different antenna's everyone is using and from what parts of town. I currently live on dm but am moving to sahuarita next month. According to both titantv and antennaweb I need a stronger antenna at dm than I will at my new house. How is that possible? also has anyone caught Law and Order in hd? Impressions? Thanks in advance for your inputs. Any suggestion are welcome for antenna selection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3878 Old 10-27-2003, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was using a cheap Yagi from Radio Shack (Like an RS 15-2160) which worked fairly well, and then installed a CM 4228A 8-Bay bowtie which gave me another 10% signal strength. Enough to freely get all the stations with no dropouts, except for KUAT-DT, which is still too weak (though KUAS-DT is fine). I have it on a rotator and am also using a hi-gain RS preamp. I live on the northwest side in the Tucson Mtn foothills - W. of Silverbell, S. of Camino del Cerro. KMSB-DT comes in at 90%! Funny thing is, I could never get any of the analog OTA VHF stations due to the Catalinas blocking Bigalow, but somehow the DTV stations come in fine.
post #123 of 3878 Old 10-28-2003, 09:26 AM

smsprague - can't help you with your CBS HD football game question but I can say that some of the CBS programming in the evening is true HD. I find myself watching shows I never had an interest in before. The picture quality is outstanding! You can't always trust the programming guides.

stvnjen97 - I have a Radio Shack VU-120 XR roof mounted antenna. It is big and ugly but works great. I can get all of the stations with the exception on KUAT-DT (KUAS-DT signal is very strong) and WG channel 58.1. I live in the Catalina Foothills area around Swan and Sunrise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 3878 Old 10-28-2003, 09:45 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the info. What has your experience been with the NBC and FOX shows.
post #125 of 3878 Old 10-30-2003, 10:07 AM

smsprague,

I have been getting good signal strength from both NBC and FOX. Unfortunately they aren't broadcasting in true HD format.
post #126 of 3878 Old 10-30-2003, 06:41 PM

Thought I would finally join in after a long time of "lurking" around here and the other forum areas. At this time KGUN 9 is currently up on D35. It's the strongest channel for me coming in at 100% (I'm on the east side of town). Hopefully they are not just testing and they stay up! We'll see if they have their hardware and show Threat Matrix in HD a little bit or if they will just pass through the regular signal.
-Update- checking out Threat Matrix now and it is being shown in HD 720p.
post #127 of 3878 Old 10-30-2003, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the update.
They do have a strong signal. Looks like upconverted SD (4:3) on a 1280x720p signal. Oh well. At least they are way ahead of schedule.

I'm confused why KGUN is using a 720p signal, though. I would expect that from KMSB for their FOX "widescreen," but they are just the opposite. How is KGUN going to ever show true HD programs on a 720p signal, and how is FOX going to show their 720p "widescreen" programs on their 1920x1080i signal?

Is anyone seeing the same dropouts on FOX 11-1 lately? They might need tweaking on their equipment like KOLD did.
post #128 of 3878 Old 11-01-2003, 09:44 AM

First off thank-you for your responses to my antenna question. I have a buddy from sierra vista who is entering the HD world. Has anyone had any experience with OTA hd programming there and if so what antenna? Also, I understand about fox upconvering all of it's programming but is NBC also. Tiatantv lists ER and Law and Order as being HD. Is this true HD programming or upconverted? These two shows are a major wife acceptance factor for spending on a good antenna setup. Any info. on any other channels and their HD programming would also be mucho appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #129 of 3878 Old 11-01-2003, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No HD content, except for CBS and PBS.
post #130 of 3878 Old 11-01-2003, 12:20 PM

I don't completely understand how the OTA stuff works. Sorry for so many "newbie" questions even though I've been a HDTV owner and hobbyist for 3 years but I have read previous posts and am still confused as I am new to this OTA Stuff. I get that CBS and PBS are the only current OTA broadcasts (Thanks Carey P!) and that fox doesn't do HD, just 480 widescreen. But, what I still can't figure is with NBC, UPN and WB which both have HD content but don't broadcast it. I understand this is specific to local broadcasting but will the local affiliates be upgrading to HD or are they content with upconverting? Also titantv lists ABC as going live Jan 04, is this true? Will they be sharing an antenna with another station? And one other question- does cox or comcast have plans to carry HD in tucson in the foreseeable future? BTW Carey P I noticed your link to your theater and all I can say is I'm jealous, nicely done. Thanks again everyone for your patience with my lack of knowledge.
post #131 of 3878 Old 11-02-2003, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

stvnjen97,

Actually, I have not kept tabs on WB. They may be broadcasting HD content, but I don't really care. I'll leave this channel for someone else to comment on.

I was surprised to see ABC live this soon. It would seem they were succesful in hanging their digital antenna on the side of their analog tower. But they don't have the right signal for programs in 1080i format and are only upconverting anyway, so probably January is still reasonable, as I reported earlier.

Just to clarify for those without 8VSB decoders, all stations are now broadcasting OTA DTV (ATSC) signals. FOX looks like it still has problems. Most are only upconverting SD (480p or 480i NTSC) signals, and some don't "seem" to be in the correct format for when they do pass HD in the future (e.g. FOX 720p? ABC 1080i?).

The reason for the upconverting SD, is because either they don't have the time delay equipment yet to record and playback (3 hrs later) HD content from their network feed or their network does not time-delay it for them. They may be able to receive HD over the feed, but they are not allowed to re-broadcast it locally until the correct time, unless it is a live broadcast. CBS apparently has this time delay thing working, and has a pretty stable signal now with only glitches during commercials.

Also, the stations are at the mercy of whatever the network is able to feed them. If there is an HD produced program that only comes over in SD, then that's what you'll get. This may be the problem with some live sports on CBS. I know that UPN has some HD produced shows, but they don't get them in HD, or otherwise they would show them, since I believe they have the equipment (and certainly the signal).

For those other network channels, you will notice that any HD produced shows that are only in upconverted SD, look much better (sharper and detailed) than their SD produced counterparts. Probably because the original content was so much better to begin with. So for these particular shows, the signal is certainly far better than anything you can get analog or off cable TV, even though it is not in real HD yet. Almost worth firing up a front projector bulb .

As far as cable goes, COX will probably be first to offer something first half of next year. Comcast says another year, maybe. They require a different decoder box for this, of course. Whether they will re-broadcast locals in HD, who knows. But this will eventually give you HBO HD, etc., which you can now get on satellite, anyway.

And thanks for the nice comments .

Carey
post #132 of 3878 Old 11-04-2003, 08:25 AM

but one more question for anyone who may know. Is there an ISF tech/calibrator locally? I have a 65" panasonic crt rptv that I would like to get calibrated early next year.
post #133 of 3878 Old 11-04-2003, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Funny you would mention that I would be happy to calibrate your Panny for you. You are welcome to visit the website to learn more that may help you. Rates are ISF standard: $325 (RPTV) plus $125 pre scan rate/input. ISF calibrations are keeping me busy (I do all these myself) these days. I did a Sony last week and a 2003 Mits this week. Give me a ring at your convenience.

Cinema-Pro HT Services

Cheers,
Randy
post #134 of 3878 Old 11-04-2003, 04:55 PM

Found this on a post at ***************.com, very interesting. Wonder how long it will take to get online, especially considering how long it took to get locals for tucson on dtv. Also it would seem we would need yet another dish or at least new lnb's to access.
post #135 of 3878 Old 11-04-2003, 04:56 PM

post #136 of 3878 Old 11-13-2003, 10:46 PM

Are any of you Tucsonans able to pick up OTA HDTV signals from the Phoenix stations? I live up in Oro Valley (Rancho Vistoso) and I'm trying to figure out what I might be able to watch if I bought an HDTV receiver.
post #137 of 3878 Old 11-28-2003, 06:28 PM

i just got a new Samsung T165 and can not get a signal on PBS channel 30 or 28 in Tucson. Is anyone currently getting a signal on these channels.

Thanks,

Mark
post #138 of 3878 Old 12-12-2003, 12:16 PM

I just talked to Comcast yesterday and they said first or second quarter for cable HD. I'd just as soon dump them, but I don't know if I can see the OTA HD signals from NW Tucson.

I'm unable to get OTA NTSC (bunny-ears) on 4,6, etc. I take it this means I can't get the OTA HD signal...correct?

EJ

"The existence of a hobby, by definition, precludes sensicality."
post #139 of 3878 Old 12-16-2003, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
For anyone that doesn't know, there is a HDTV Society of Arizona Forum. All are welcome!

LINK:

http://pc-dtv.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=f...1&f=5896031511

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #140 of 3878 Old 12-26-2003, 04:21 AM

knows which OTA HD Channel are available in the Contintental Ranch area?

BTW, has anyone purchased the Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY Plasama from a local B&M? I found some great prices on the net and was curious any local B&M would price match.

Thanks and have a Happy 2004!

The Student
post #141 of 3878 Old 12-26-2003, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This was my understanding... but when I use TitanTV's "antenna locator" for digital stations, it comes up with a combination VHF/UHF antenna. And I noticed that SteveL (who happens to be in my area) is using a Radio Shack VU-120 --a VHF/UHF combo. If the Tucson DTV transmissions are on channels 19 through 44, what is the benefit of a VHF antenna?

Dave

P.S. SteveL... are you using a preamp with that beast? I did a quick test with a RadioShack U100 (mounted on a little 4' mast on my roof - pointed roughly South) feeding my new Zenith C32V37 and all I got was KWBA, KUAT (or was it KUAS?) and KHRR. The Zenith HD-420 for the theater system hasn't arrived yet
post #142 of 3878 Old 01-08-2004, 04:59 PM

Hi folks. I did not realize that we had a thread on AVS, or that it is so active, so I have been missing out for awhile. In answer to an earlier question, I bought the RCA 3036 without a pre-amp. Since I have Dishnet, I got the model 6000 receiver to get both satellite and OTA HD. My problem is that the 3036 is even more directional than my old, smaller antenna. I live in the center of town (swan and Broadway), so the analog and DTV stations are very widely spaced. I can get any analog station, and most DTV stations fine by pointing the antenna toward the station. But, it makes time shift recording from multiple stations a real hassle. I may try adding a Channel Master 7777 preamp, or a second (or even third) antenna to pick up 13, 18, and 19 to the west, and 11 to the south. That way, the big one can point to Bigelow and get great reception on the main stations and main DTV stations.

Mike
P.S. Carey, I finally upgraded from that lousy LCD projector and now have a Sharp M20X DLP hanging from the ceiling. Looks almost as good as yours did when last I was there!

Space Scientists think LIGHTYEARS outside the box! 21 Red 2 Blue
post #143 of 3878 Old 01-08-2004, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Mike!

Sounds cool! I'm still using the same old setup, but plan to upgrade soon. At least I hope my projector makes it through Super Bowl before blowing a bulb . I just hope KOLD's signal hangs in there. I notice it flakes out every now and then. Scary.
Later,

Carey
post #144 of 3878 Old 01-09-2004, 11:14 AM

I wanted to see if things were still as I had posted, so I fired up the DLP projector, switched to using the DishNet 6000 for OTA DTV reception, and tried scanning through the channels. I was watching CSI on 13, so I didn't spend long on the other stations, which was a pity, because all the other stations came in better than KOLD-DT. KOLD's digital broadcast is supposed to be coming from Bigelow, so I pointed my 120" antenna that way and got an indicated mid 70% signal. But, I still had _MANY_ drop outs of sound, video, or both. During the commercial breaks, I would scan through all the others. Channels 4 and 9 looked pretty good, with little or no drop outs during the brief times I was watching. I think I got 11, but I do not remember for sure. I was surprised that I got a signal at all for 18, since their digital broadcast is from their analog tower, due west of me. I didn't get a signal for channel 6, and did not try their repeater station.

I was so surprised that even with 75% signal from KOLD-DT that I still couldn't keep a good lock that I tried turning the antenna 15 degrees further east to try to eliminate any ghosting. But that didn't help. I eventually turned the antenna west and went back to their analog feed, since the digital was nearly un-watchable. Also, they appeared to be simply up-converting the standard SD feed, so there was even less incentive to try to get the digital to work. In fact, since KOLD got their digital station going, they seem to have been broadcasting CSI in SD more often then HD when I have tried to set up for it (still not simple with my current setup).

How have other people fared in receiving true HD from the local stations? Is there something wrong with my setup, or am I not the only one having trouble?

Mike

Carey, good luck on the Super Bowl! And lets cross our fingers that they can hold the HD signal together for that! Of course, they will face some yelling and screaming if they drop THAT ball!!

post #145 of 3878 Old 01-09-2004, 03:39 PM

I've been having the same problem with KOLD. I have the the new Dish 811 receiver and it shows that have anywhere from 66 to 76 signal strength, yet sometimes the audio keeps cutting out or there are tons of drop outs making the signal unwatchable. I think this is a station problem rather than a reception problem since you are also having this problem. I'm also in the same area as you, Broadway and Colombus.
Last night was also strange because CSI wasn't in HD, this was a first, so I didn't really watch it, and the Arizona basketball game was on, so I don't know if there were any dropouts last night. The past couple of times CSI has been in HD as well as CSI Miami and some of CBS's other sitcoms.

Craig
post #146 of 3878 Old 01-09-2004, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad I wasn't imagining things. Guess I should give them a call next week before I invite too many people over for SB .

BTW, anyone know what's up with CH 11? They've had serious audio problems on their analog station (the latest thing being dropouts every minute or so) and their digital station's been down for some time - though I didn't check last night when Mike claimed they were back up. If they are up, then is their audio working better than their analog counterpart? I will watch 24 in digital if that's the case.
post #147 of 3878 Old 01-09-2004, 04:17 PM

Craig,
I just dropped a line to Chuck Amy at KOLD, and he told me that they have been having trouble with the larger LPDA UHF antennas, including picking up their own signal at their studio location. Appearntly the bigger ones are not flat enough in response mess up the signal, causing higher error rates. He also said that many receivers give a combined signal strength and error rate, so the numbers we are seeing may not always mean what we think they mean. He recommended using a smaller UHF antenna, in particular a 4 bay bow-tie. This antenna is 4 simple dipoles, stacked vertically with a wire mesh flat plane reflector behind them. To make the reception more broadband, the diploes are modified into 'bow ties'. I have been having trouble finding someone in Tucson that sells them. Radio shack has a small 2 bay model (RSU# 99300998), but they list it a special order. Channel Master 3021 and Winegard PR-4400 are good examples. I ordered mine from solidsignal. Mr. Amy said that they buy theirs from MCM electronics, www.mcminone.com, but they seem to be currently out of stock. When my Channel Master comes in, I will switch to it and report back.

Mike

post #148 of 3878 Old 01-09-2004, 04:24 PM

Carey,
It looks like some of my problems with KOLD may still be at my end, not theres. At theses high frequencies, each channel can still act different than the others. And I better take better notes the next time I do a channel sweep, to make sure I report the right signal strength (or missing in action) for each station. Watching 24 in digital would be nice!

Mike

post #149 of 3878 Old 01-09-2004, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll stick with my 8-bay bowtie and amplifier, as it has been essential from where I live. I wonder (but doubt) if they will fix their antenna situation by SB time. Let me know if you find out anything else. Thanks.
post #150 of 3878 Old 01-10-2004, 08:16 PM

i'm using a dst-3000 directv receiver and am getting a 95 - 98 signal strength and am getting lots of sound and picture drops. last weeks playoff game looked good but had no sound whatever. bummer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page