AVS Forum banner

Des Moines, IA - HDTV

517K views 5K replies 379 participants last post by  grich 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Did anybody catch Crossing Jordan? I caught the tail end of it because they

didn't advertise it. I did a search with my Mits 65909 tonight and locked in

perfectly!!!

Recorded the news and I'm now recording Jay!!!

does anybody have a date for KCCI? Titantv.com says Nov 1. for WOI.

Enjoying HD in DES MOINES!!!

#3,453 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayrock /forum/post/15200204

Yeah, sometimes it actually covers the beginning of the phone numbers in the commercials.

Good thing they have no local sponsors. Hopefully they'll either shrink it or make it more transparent.

#3,454 ·
Update: WHO, KFPX

The FCC has granted WHO-DT's maximization request for 36.5 kW ERP on channel 13 after 2-17-09.

Similar requests from KCCI (28.3 kW on channel 8) and WOI (11.5 kW on channel 5) were granted earlier this year.

KFPX's boost proposal -- which would also move its transmitter from northwest Jasper County to Alleman -- remains pending at this time.

Also, in case you haven't been reading the programming forum or sites like northpine.com, KFPX owner Ion has also applied to "share time" with another entity, Urban Television, LLC. Under the arrangement ( .pdf link ), Urban Television would start up a new "station" using part of KFPX's channel 39. They are trying to convince the FCC to consider Urban's new station "must-carry" for cable and satellite.

#3,456 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayrock /forum/post/15220688

I was just channel surfing, and I noticed that KCWI-DT is showing up on regular Mediacom at channel 23.1, the same way that KCCI and WHO show up at their actual channel locations. I've also noticed that MC has added Weather Plus at 13.2.

I think it was on digital cable channel 246 before.

Doesn't matter much, though, unless WHO has something local to replace it with when NBC shuts it down.

#3,458 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrettb /forum/post/15225642

I thought they were all being replaced with Universal Sports or something like that?

Universal Sports has been mentioned as a possibility in some circles for some Weather Plus stations, but it's up to the local station to either choose a service, develop their own (as one of our stations did with "Local 9.2"), or just drop it. The NBC station where I currently live is mulling its options but hasn't settled on anything yet.

#3,461 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes /forum/post/15235120

Anyone know what kind of audio the Iowa vs Iowa St meet on IPTV is supposed to have?

This is pretty cool to see in HD.

Lovely how they billed it as their own exclusively... yet everything pointed to the Big Ten Network. So just who was using who's equipment?

Really looked good though. (And how about them Hawks?!?)

#3,462 ·
Yeah I noticed that too. Was wondering what the arrangements were. My guess is Big Ten Network isn't offering up their HD resources for college wrestling and there was a deal there which gives BTN some HD programming later (they aired it on SDD with rebroadcasts later too). But what do I know.

Hawks looked great tonight. It's cool to see this rivalry have greater meaning again with #1 vs #2 again. Helps to have two recent greats coaching for the school they wrestled for. I love the smack talk. Don't see that in other sports

#3,463 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes /forum/post/15236511

Yeah I noticed that too. Was wondering what the arrangements were. My guess is Big Ten Network isn't offering up their HD resources for college wrestling and there was a deal there which gives BTN some HD programming later (they aired it on SDD with rebroadcasts later too). But what do I know.

Hawks looked great tonight. It's cool to see this rivalry have greater meaning again with #1 vs #2 again. Helps to have two recent greats coaching for the school they wrestled for. I love the smack talk. Don't see that in other sports

I think the BTN and IPTV have had a cooperative agreement for wrestling since BTN went on the air last year. Those were definitely IPTV's guys, Johnson and Gibbons, and I'm pretty sure it was IPTV's equipment.

#3,464 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunchie /forum/post/15236112

Lovely how they billed it as their own exclusively... yet everything pointed to the Big Ten Network. So just who was using who's equipment?

Really looked good though. (And how about them Hawks?!?)

It was IPTV's exclusive, because they were the only ones providing live coverage, the BTN broadcast was SDD immediately after.

#3,465 ·
#3,470 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunchie /forum/post/15211127

Good thing they [WOI-DT 5.2, or "RTN-5"] have no local sponsors. Hopefully they'll either shrink it or make it more transparent.

I was just visiting Ames and noticed how huge it was Monday night. I also noticed they were running what appeared to be a raw national feed, whereas the breaks are more customized in the KWWL version we get out here on DT 7.3. Examples include the mass station ID list near the top of the hour and all the references to Eastern time in the promos. KWWL has its own KWWL-only ID and all times in its promos are Central.

Apparently this morning, WOI gained the capability to add its own ID and promos to 5.2, and the episode of Ironside which aired this morning was bugless.

#3,471 ·
Sorry I'm posting again folks, but thought I'd give it one last shot. I just can't believe that this may be the 2nd problem that only I have!

So, OTA KDSM HD is fine. *D KDSM standard....fine. But *D KDSM HD is constant stuttering video, hiccuping video and impossible to watch. Anyone else....or is it really just me? I wonder why no other *D locals is doing that?

#3,472 ·
Wow. Watching Wheel HD on 13 tonight was... just...

Breathtakingly amazing YouTube quality jerky video, all sorts of pixilation, macroblocking, and audio dropouts. Just what in the world are they recording off satellite with? Some Pentium II with no hard-drive space and a dial-up modem? C'mon.

#3,473 ·
Ok i have been trying to figure this out but not sure. So got 2 questions.

1. I live in Carroll, and am looking at getting a DB8 or a nice channelmaster antenna for the house cuz all i got is dish. I want to get the locals from des moines with sub channels is there a good antenna for about 70 miles?

2. Will Dish or Direct TV going to have the sub channels too? The main reason for the sub channles is that nice weather channel so i can get an idea of the weather at 4 AM.

Thanks,

#3,474 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunchie /forum/post/15324489

Wow. Watching Wheel HD on 13 tonight was... just...

Breathtakingly amazing YouTube quality jerky video, all sorts of pixilation, macroblocking, and audio dropouts. Just what in the world are they recording off satellite with? Some Pentium II with no hard-drive space and a dial-up modem? C'mon.

I didn't watch last night, but it seemed like for the first few months, at about 6:48 or so, it would 'jerk' like that for maybe a minute, then the video would go super speed, as almost to catch up. But I haven't noticed this in recent week or 2. But then it seems like this week, it's been SD anyway, i'm assuming weather alert anticipation?

I'm watching Mediacom QAM, FWIW.

#3,475 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline /forum/post/15315249

I was just visiting Ames and noticed how huge it was Monday night. I also noticed they were running what appeared to be a raw national feed, whereas the breaks are more customized in the KWWL version we get out here on DT 7.3. Examples include the mass station ID list near the top of the hour and all the references to Eastern time in the promos. KWWL has its own KWWL-only ID and all times in its promos are Central.

Apparently this morning, WOI gained the capability to add its own ID and promos to 5.2, and the episode of Ironside which aired this morning was bugless.

If you watch 5.2 as much as I have the last few days, you'll see that they've also added local "time capsules" instead of the national "retromercials." So far I've seen commercials for Bob Allen Motors and Foreman & Clark, a short segment from the 1950's dance show "Seventeen", and 80's sports sgements about Iowa preparing to play Washington in the Rose Bowl and Iowa State's basketball team in training. Personally, I'm hoping they throw in something from The Magic Window sometime.

#3,476 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasmcgrew /forum/post/15327640

I didn't watch last night, but it seemed like for the first few months, at about 6:48 or so, it would 'jerk' like that for maybe a minute, then the video would go super speed, as almost to catch up. But I haven't noticed this in recent week or 2. But then it seems like this week, it's been SD anyway, i'm assuming weather alert anticipation?

I'm watching Mediacom QAM, FWIW.

Yeah, that's what it normally does. But on this night, it did that throughout the entire program.

(OTA. Even though I have D*... I still prefer to watch my locals off the antenna yet. I only watch the sat feed if I'm having trouble pulling in a signal off air.)