AVS Forum banner

Des Moines, IA - HDTV

517K views 5K replies 379 participants last post by  grich 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Did anybody catch Crossing Jordan? I caught the tail end of it because they

didn't advertise it. I did a search with my Mits 65909 tonight and locked in

perfectly!!!

Recorded the news and I'm now recording Jay!!!

does anybody have a date for KCCI? Titantv.com says Nov 1. for WOI.

Enjoying HD in DES MOINES!!!

#3,527 ·
Is it just me and a few friends that have been experiencing problems with the DTV broadcast of WHO HD in the Des Moines area. There is a terrible problem with audio and even the video issues.

It is enough to stop me from watching WHO HD through DTV. I have contacted DTV and they state that they do not know of any problems with WHO HD and that it might be just my HR20-700. It also occurs also on my H20-600 and on some friends DTV service too.

However, I do not get this problem while watching 13-1 with my old OTA connected throught the DTV receivers.

#3,528 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawasdeecf /forum/post/15529146

Is it just me and a few friends that have been experiencing problems with the DTV broadcast of WHO HD in the Des Moines area. There is a terrible problem with audio and even the video issues.

I'm experiencing the audio sync problem as well. I've switched to OTA for channel 13 for now. I have an HD-DVR without the OTA tunner (can't remember the model number).

#3,529 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawasdeecf /forum/post/15529146

It is enough to stop me from watching WHO HD through DTV. I have contacted DTV and they state that they do not know of any problems with WHO HD and that it might be just my HR20-700. It also occurs also on my H20-600 and on some friends DTV service too.

However, I do not get this problem while watching 13-1 with my old OTA connected throught the DTV receivers.

I have also been having this problem and have dealt with it the same way: On TVs that have an external antenna I watch 13.1. The odd thing is that the problem is not always present. Some days it seems to work fine and other days it is almost unwatchable.

I have a hard time believing Dtv is not aware of this problem. I have to think WHO is getting calls from local viewers.

#3,530 ·
DirecTV will begin airing PBS-HD via Sat tomorrow morning, 01/14/2009, according to dbstalk.com

I'm assuming this is only 11-1 and not the sub-channels -2,-3.

#3,531 ·
I'm assuming you all mean the DirecTV broadcast of channel 13.

Normally on the forum posters abbreviate DirecTV as D* and Dish as E* (for Echostar). That way they aren't confused with DTV, which stands simply for "digital television," including the over-the-air signal.

#3,532 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline /forum/post/15548042

I'm assuming you all mean the DirecTV broadcast of channel 13.

Normally on the forum posters abbreviate DirecTV as D* and Dish as E* (for Echostar). That way they aren't confused with DTV, which stands simply for "digital television," including the over-the-air signal.

Yes, I am referring to DirecTV's HD broadcast of channel 13.

Interestingly, it seemed to be in sync yesterday but this morning again it is out of sync.

#3,533 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan /forum/post/15548029

DirecTV will begin airing PBS-HD via Sat tomorrow morning, 01/14/2009, according to dbstalk.com

I'm assuming this is only 11-1 and not the sub-channels -2,-3.

11-2 is basically the digital version of IPTV's analog broadcast. This is currently what DirecTV is showing on the SD version of channel 11.

So basically what I am trying to say is DirecTV is showing 11-1 on the HD version of channel 11, and 11-2 on the SD version of channel 11. It is only 11-3 that we don't get via DirecTV.

#3,534 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSamuels /forum/post/15552899

11-2 is basically the digital version of IPTV's analog broadcast. This is currently what DirecTV is showing on the SD version of channel 11.

So basically what I am trying to say is DirecTV is showing 11-1 on the HD version of channel 11, and 11-2 on the SD version of channel 11. It is only 11-3 that we don't get via DirecTV.

I hadn't noticed that as I watch most of the PBS stuff OTA. I'm glad to see they got it going on the sat, even though I'll rarely use it. I like PBS, but prefer OTA when the choice is available, as the sat signal never looks as good as OTA (in my particular case. I'm not trying to start a debate.
)

#3,535 ·
As I hear it, on February 1, Iowa Public TV will realign their feeds as follows:

IPTV will be on 11-1, in HD. So it'll be just like any of the network stations, HD when available, upconverted SD otherwise.

11-3 will drop Create and become "IPTV World" 24/7.

11-2 will become "IPTV Learn" with PBS Kids programming from 5:30PM to 10PM, and Create programming the rest of the time.

- Trip

#3,536 ·
Could someone tell my what is going on with ION 39? Do they have a digital signal? I recieve everything possible in the CR-Waterloo and DM-Ames markets, but I cannot get a signal for 39. I do get analog 39 ,although, it doesnt seem as strong as it used to. I can get 48.1-48.4 out of CR , just not a real strong signal in my area. I should say I am only using an amplified indoor antenna----I cannot put up an outside antenna. Thanks, Mike

#3,538 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley1966 /forum/post/15587737

Could someone tell my what is going on with ION 39? Do they have a digital signal? I recieve everything possible in the CR-Waterloo and DM-Ames markets, but I cannot get a signal for 39. I do get analog 39 ,although, it doesnt seem as strong as it used to. I can get 48.1-48.4 out of CR , just not a real strong signal in my area. I should say I am only using an amplified indoor antenna----I cannot put up an outside antenna. Thanks, Mike

39 and 23 are both stations that came on the air in the DM market after the FCC had allocated channels for the digital transition. Therefore, they weren't given a transitional assignment and have to flash-cut on their channels cold. 23 has 56 as a digital sister station, so they used it's bandwidth to give 23 a digital presence, but 39 doesn't have that benefit.

#3,540 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley1966 /forum/post/15587852

Ok, that explains why no signal! So on 2/18/09 , I should see 39.1? Do you guys know if they plan on carry the other 3 channels like 48? Thanks for the help. Mike

I have no inside knowledge, but every ION station carries those same subchannels, so I think it's a safe bet.

- Trip

#3,541 ·
Ok, thanks Trip! I swapped indoor antennas last night. Found a RCA ANT 1250,(I actually have a whole tote full of indoor antennas) that I paid $5 bucks for new (no typo), at a Target 3 years ago---it had to be mis-marked. It works better than my USS Enterprise from RS. I am even splitting the signal between an old BW portable and a 30 year old small color TV. My wife thinks I am nuts, but its mostly a DX thing for me. Thanks for the quick help, Mike

#3,542 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley1966 /forum/post/15587917

Ok, thanks Trip! I swapped indoor antennas last night. Found a RCA ANT 1250,(I actually have a whole tote full of indoor antennas) that I paid $5 bucks for new (no typo), at a Target 3 years ago---it had to be mis-marked. It works better than my USS Enterprise from RS. I am even splitting the signal between an old BW portable and a 30 year old small color TV. My wife thinks I am nuts, but its mostly a DX thing for me. Thanks for the quick help, Mike

No worries, I'm a DXer myself.

Des Moines got caught in an interesting situation. It turns out that the number of digital stations in the area nearly doubled after the digital channels were laid out in 1997. 23, 34, 39, and 56 all signed on afterwards, and thus don't have separate analog and digital stations. 39, as you've observed, does not have its own digital frequency, while 23 and 34 are available on analog while 56 signed on digital-only and provides not only its own programming, but also digital versions of the programming on 23 and 34. This arrangement will change after the transition, and each station will carry its own programming.

- Trip

#3,545 ·
I am just hoping for a little more signal. Possibly increasing the strength or DX on some of the stations. Especially KWWL, I really like their current line-up. I get KGAN, and KCRG pretty decent. FOX28, is VERY strong. I am kind of looking to try and log maybe channel 12 (PBS Iowa City), or an Ottumwa station----just holding my breath, I know they are both LONG shots. Mike

#3,546 ·
KIIN-12 will be reverting to 12 at some point after the transition, and you might have better success with it then.

KYOU-15 in Ottumwa is currently at very low power, but will be much better after the transition (they'll move their digital from low-power on channel 14 to full power on channel 15). I wouldn't attempt it before the transition occurs.

- Trip

#3,547 ·
I am pretty much pushing the "limits" right now. I am trying to DX as cheap as possible, without an outdoor antenna. KIIN might be possible in the Summer, since its VHF. I actually get their audio (analog), along with Mason City and Ft. Dodge (ch. 21 and 24) on a wideband reciever (with only a handheld stock antenna). Ottumwa, is another story, kind of keeping my fingers crossed on that one. I would really like to log a few of the PBS translator towers (analog of course). Didnt mean to get too off topic! Mike

#3,548 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley1966 /forum/post/15588633

I am pretty much pushing the "limits" right now. I am trying to DX as cheap as possible, without an outdoor antenna. KIIN might be possible in the Summer, since its VHF. I actually get their audio (analog), along with Mason City and Ft. Dodge (ch. 21 and 24) on a wideband reciever (with only a handheld stock antenna). Ottumwa, is another story, kind of keeping my fingers crossed on that one. I would really like to log a few of the PBS translator towers (analog of course). Didnt mean to get too off topic! Mike

Without an outdoor antenna! Now that's a challenge! Good luck to you.

I'm sure the folks here don't mind a bit of off-topic conversation, though if you wish to discuss DXing further, feel free to send me a PM. I'm not in Iowa, but I am into DXing.

- Trip

#3,549 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayrock /forum/post/15588089

Won't be anything a rescan, and maybe a little antenna readjustment can't fix.

If you are using a DirecTV DVR with OTA, it will be a LOT more than a rescan (considering they don't scan in the first place). D*'s DVRs require preformatted data to be downloaded to the DVR for it to be able to find OTA stations.

I expect a real mess on Feb 17. (as they have had problems before with this issue, with only a single channel change).

I interact with the public a lot ....I expect hundreds of calls on Feb 17, as 3 of our locals are going from UHF back to their old VHF assignments...they won't remember how to rescan and they may not have adequate VHF antennas, since all digital has been UHF for a couple years in this area.

It is NOT going to be a pleasant experience.