AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Des Moines, IA - HDTV (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/136822-des-moines-ia-hdtv.html)

mtmdesmoines 04-29-2002 09:57 PM

Hey everyone,

Did anybody catch Crossing Jordan? I caught the tail end of it because they
didn't advertise it. I did a search with my Mits 65909 tonight and locked in
perfectly!!!

Recorded the news and I'm now recording Jay!!!

does anybody have a date for KCCI? Titantv.com says Nov 1. for WOI.

Enjoying HD in DES MOINES!!!

Bill Sears 04-30-2002 10:17 AM

I know KCCI filed for an extension so they may as well be on the air Nov. 1. I am going to have to purchase another 8vsb module for my dish 6000 so I can watch the eye candy.

Xenon221 04-30-2002 03:32 PM

Hey there,

Excellent! Crossing Jordan came in quite well here too. During these intitial testing stages, their timing has been near perfect on switching on the HD feed. Beginning tomorrow, WHO-DT will be broadcasting on a regular schedule during primetime. And, by the way, they are DD5.1 capable!

Regarding CBS, I spoke with a friendly and courteous individual working in operations at KCCI last week. They said they were initially shooting for May 1st, but they've been waiting for some equipment and the winds to calm. The current estimate is mid-July-- not bad at all! I just checked their page and they recently updated it with the info (second paragraph):

http://www.theiowachannel.com/kcci/569498/detail.html

Can't wait for CBS in HD!

Xenon221 05-01-2002 03:40 PM

FOX17 signed on just moments ago. Currently, there is just a test pattern and some program audio. The audio was in mono, then out of left channel. I am hoping for stereo as they don't even transmit MTS currently.

Looks like a work in progress, but it is great to see another station on the air in DSM!

-Loren

mtmdesmoines 05-01-2002 04:52 PM

Wow xenon221 you are on top of things!!! Thanks for the link for kcci also!!! Just did a search for fox and just picked up 17.01. I don't think fox does any 1080i though.

Hey Bill, do you have a dish HD 6000? If you do, do you get showtime and is it just upconverted stuff, not 1080i.

just a fyi WHO has a link on their website and they will e-mail you any hd new shows that they will broadcast.

It says nothing about the kentucky derby that is supposed to be in HD this saturday, but according to HD.net they and NBC dtv affiliates will be broadcasting that event in HD.

dieing for CBS!!!

-mark

mtmdesmoines 05-01-2002 06:58 PM

hey xenon221,

13.01 had drop outs ( for me) for the first 45 minutes they started at 7:00. Now it is perfect (maybe they turned up the power)? Did you have the same situation?

Also channel 13.01 looks like it is 480p and 17.01 must be upconverted 480i, because I sure can see a difference, how about yourself?

mark

Xenon221 05-02-2002 03:57 PM

Mark,

Hello there. No problems here with dropouts last night, though I wasn't on WHO during their entire first hour. I have experienced some occasional dropouts during the Tonight Show. The signal usually hovers around 85, but I found that if there even a slight variation in antenna placement, the signal drops to extremely low levels (10-20) periodically.

Thanks for the info about the WHO-DT mail list, and I just signed up for that. While I was on the site, I saw a new mention about the Kentucky Derby this weekend. Apparently, it will be aired from 5-6:30pm Saturday!

I agree with you completely about KDSM and I too can see a big difference in quality. They are indeed transmitting a 480i signal on 17.1 and so far I'm disappointed with their digital broadcast. I guess it's still early though; we'll have to see if they begin transmitting the FOX 480p widescreen programming.

By the way, I've noticed a problem with interlacing on KDSM (the fields seem to be reversed, causing either excessive jitter or combing artifacts). Have you experienced any of this?

-Loren

mtmdesmoines 05-02-2002 09:21 PM

xenon,

Yes, I saw the same situation with fox and gave up on them, they aren't even broadcasting here at 10pm. I did e-mail them and asked what they would show in 1080i, and they haven't e-mailed me back. It was kind of a joke e-mail (Fox only wants to do 480p).

What are you using to get your signal? It's not in your profile.

Are we the only 2 in des moines watching live HD?

Got to go, recording another episode of Jay!!!!

Mark

Chris Williams 05-02-2002 09:52 PM

The Des Moines NBC affiliate did show the Olympics. I was at a customer's location in Ames and we were picking it up. They had the transmitter off until 20 minutes before the start of the Olympics programming, and turned it off right after. I understand the PBS affiliate's transmitter works, but they only have it on for new PBS HD programs.

mtmdesmoines 05-02-2002 11:16 PM

Chris,

Yes, WHO did the olympics and they were great! PBS seems to broadcast only around state fair time (around August) and have about 3 programs in HD. They would broadcast them more but need more funding.

mark

tammes 05-06-2002 03:17 AM

Heh!! All these Iowa folks getting HD!!!
Wonder when the Iowa City area (and near by areas)
will see any???....

Flooper 05-06-2002 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tammes
Heh!! All these Iowa folks getting HD!!!
Wonder when the Iowa City area (and near by areas)
will see any???....

KWWL (Channel 7 analog, Channel 55 dig) went live on May 1. They broadcast from 5 to 11:30 on Monday-Friday. Course, being an NBC affiliate, the only thing in HD they have is Leno and Crossing Jordan and a few odds and ends here. But at least they're up and running. Check titantv.com to see when others are scheduled to go live. Also, there is a station in the Quad cities that is live now...you may be able to pick that up. I live halfway between CR and IC (Shueyville!!). Haven't yet put up an antenna, so don't know how the reception on either of these will be.

mike

Xenon221 05-06-2002 08:11 PM

Mark,

I am giving up on KDSM too. So far, no Fox Widescreen. They seem to be broadcasting just to meet the minimum requirements. I called the station to ask for some details with no luck. I hope they reply to your message, that's funny. They probably just let out a long sigh when they read that one.

I'm using a HiPix DTV-200 to receive the signal. No Hi-Def monitor as of yet, but I am planning on investing in one in a few months, particularly when KCCI, IPTV begin broadcasting.

Yep, that's an interesting thought; I think we are probably the only two watching, and especially recording HD! But hey, somebody's gotta be on the bleeding edge.

-Loren

Bill Sears 05-07-2002 07:38 AM

Actually mark me as number three watching HD in central Iowa. mtmdesmoines, when I was getting Showtime, about half the stuff I would see would be in HD and the other half would be an upconvert of their regular channel.
I got my new 8vsb module in yesterday, but I will have to wait until Friday before I can install it in my system as I am in the process of moving right now.
I really hope KDSM gets their act together and at least shows their digital widescreen presentations, but I guess that might be hoping for too much? Has anyone heard anything on KPWB? I thought that KDSM and KPWB share the same tower.

I hate moving

Bill

mtmdesmoines 05-07-2002 11:30 PM

Loren,

No response from Fox.

Bill,

Great, then when you get OTA signals you can deal with this: Jay Leno tonight 1st 15 minutes top half of screen frozen pizels, bottom half frozen Jays la building intro. Called WHO 282-1313 and they switched it to sd 4:3 called again got HD for 15 minutes then same situation as the original called again, they said it was the server from NBC but I was able to get another 10 or so minutes of HD.

If you read above I have been recording this on my Mits HD vcr and it is quite entertaining to see the goof ups.

WHO is doing a great job, I wonder if they had theese kind of problems back in 1954 when color 1ST came out?

If any of you want to see the hd recordings, e-mail me and we can get together.

My Mits 65909 will be calibrated by Dave Levy (www.abbeyroad hometheater.com) the 28th of this month, if you want to see the finished product,contact me.

Bill, does kdsm, (wb?) have anything broadcast in HD?

Good luck with the move!!!

Mark

Bill Sears 05-08-2002 07:56 AM

mtmdesmoines,
I believe that KDSM (17) is central Iowa's Fox station and KPWB (23) is the WB station. I really can't wait to get this thing installed and check out how WHO is handling this. I think it is a shame that KDSM isn't showing their "High Resolution Digital Widescreen" presentations like they should. I am sure they will eventually, but why not now?

Bill

Xenon221 05-08-2002 02:56 PM

Hey guys,

I saw the same thing yesterday on WHO. It was cool to hear the band play for a couple minutes during the "commercial break" though (no complaints here). Between the glitches, I've noticed something interesting this week during Leno. When they were playing back the package, I could still see the studio camera panning/zooming along the top 5 or so pixels. Just a guess, but it appears they are routing the SD material through by way of a (mis-aligned) overlay in the switcher.

I think we've seen a wider variety of problems in the last 24 hours than they ever saw with B/W. I am sure it's a digital nightmare at the stations handling the MPEG-2 and PSIP. If there is an interruption in the data stream, it appears there is not yet enough error checking and correction to compensate for the errors. Then say hello to macroblocks.

Another sign-on: I was talking with a friend in the Mason City, IA and he said KIMT (the CBS affiliate) is now broadcasting digital. Not confirmed, but I believe they are sending the 1080i prime-time programming. Below is a site that seems fairly up to date on the current and upcoming stations. Digital stations are in light blue and digital live stations are light green:

http://100kwatts.tmi.net/tv/IA.html

-Loren

mtmdesmoines 05-08-2002 09:16 PM

Bill,

Just looked at KDSM through Loren's link, they are owned by Sinclair (the evil company that wanted to adopt COFDM over 8vsb).

We should feel lucky they went to DT!!!

Lets see what happens tonight.

Mark

Mozilla2001 05-09-2002 07:56 PM

Quote:

Xenon221:
he said KIMT (the CBS affiliate) is now broadcasting digital. Not confirmed, but I believe they are sending the 1080i prime-time programming.

I have gotten a weak signal from KIMT-DT in Mason City since they are only a STA. It has not been strong enough to get a picture in from them. CBS normally gets their CBS affiliates their HD equipment quickly.

mtmdesmoines 06-11-2002 09:52 PM

hey guys,

The last 2 days WHO has not been on the ball with Jay. Last night it was in SD until I called them, tonight sound no picture, I called they took care of it after about 15 minutes!!!

Does anybody else (around the country) have this problem, Having to remind your tv station to turn on its signal?

Mark

mlomker 06-12-2002 08:13 AM

>Having to remind your tv station to turn on its signal?

No way! I'm surprised that you even know who to call. In Minneapolis we have CBS, PBS, and Fox running just fine through TWC.

I haven't had HDTV for long but it is interesting to note that DD5.1 seems to be at a much lower level for broadcast than it is for DVD's. I rarely watch anything but HBO & Showtime HD but the other day I listened to my first commercial in DD5.1 and it was so cool. I might even enjoy watching commercials until the novelty wears off!

Xenon221 06-12-2002 08:13 PM

Hey there,

Same experience here. I also noticed the sound was very garbled last night until they restored the picture. Thanks Mark; I am glad you've been keeping them in line!

Crossing Jordan was in SD last week, although I think that might have been an NBC problem. This week it was in a flux, flipping back and forth to SD several times.

By the way Mark, were you the one that had them switch over to Ashley Judd during the election coverage? I don't know whether you saw that one, but they had the election deal on analog 13 and Tonight Show, w/o the local ads on digital 19.1. They were doing well after that one in my book-- that is until these past few nights.

Glad to hear you are having good luck with your affiliates mlomker; that's the way it should be. It really is unfortunate when they mess things up. I read a post around here a while ago that talked about a CBS affiliate that would sometimes throw the 'HD switch' a half an hour or so into a show. I've also heard some others talking about lip sync problems (let's hope we don't start having those, yikes!)

-Loren

mtmdesmoines 06-12-2002 09:31 PM

hey Loren,

No, I didn't know about that incident. The number is 282-1313, I don't want them to hear just my voice, when they have a problem! If you call mention the fact that you spoke with 2 or 3 of your friend and they are having the same problem that night, (lets make it look like there are a lot of people in DSM watching HD)!

Also if you wanted to e-mail WHO, they don't keep anyone there after 11:00 central, so if there is a mess up with their server, were out of luck during the last half Hour of Jay.

Did you notice they didn't e-mail a reminder that the Belmont was in HD? But they did e-mail that Pres. Bush was in town, I care about HD more than politics!!!

Mark

RandyKersey 06-13-2002 03:50 PM

Just wanted to check in! Count me as another HDTV viewer in Des Moines. Thanks for the phone number. I usually don't watch Leno, but
maybe tonight. Love that HDTV!

Randy

Dish 6000 w/ 8VSB

Xenon221 06-14-2002 06:33 PM

Mark,

Hey there. That sounds like a great plan to me! The next time I see any more of these problems, I'll definitely dial them up. Thanks for the number and info. It will be especially important for them to have bug-free, properly timed broadcasts as the rest of the area also begins receiving.

I've noticed a couple of times the musical segments have been in SD and now I understand why. I agree with you about the e-mail; unless Bush is going to be in HD, I don't want to hear about it!

And hello to Randy; welcome aboard. I think you'll like Leno. He has some good shows that are visually interesting and really make use of/demonstrate the clarity of HD.

-Loren

mtmdesmoines 06-14-2002 10:31 PM

Randy,

Yes, welcome aboard and enjoy HD jay, I now only tape Jay when he has top actors on and when he has animals on the show.

Well about 2 weeks away from KCCI going HD, can't wait!!!

Hey if anybody has a HD recorder you can go to www.hd.net and order movies from them for $29.95!!! I am not affiliated with hd.net or mark cuban, but would like to meet Him!!!

Sorry if I broke a forum rule.

Mark

johnwcookjr 06-15-2002 01:43 AM

mtm,

Glad to hear you're receiving HD in Desmoines. Here I sit, not more than 130 miles from you in Omaha, Nebraskas' largest city, and not a single station is on line broadcasting HD. Ironically, from researching the locals progress over the last several years it now appears that the station who provides the least HD content (NBC) will be the first on line. Our local NBC-HD affiliate has alluded that broadcasts will begin by 1 August. ABC and CBS have stated they won't be ready until late 2002.

I guess we now know which state is more technologically behind the curve. Cudos to you, wish I were in your shoes.

John

pat*m 06-15-2002 09:58 AM

Hi Guys,
NBC (KWWL) is the only game in town in Waterloo too.

Looks like CBS (KGAN) is only about a month away

jtuck2 06-17-2002 12:50 PM

Hi all, just wanted to check in as another happy HD Des Moines (Knoxville) receiver. Not too fond of Jay, but I will take all we can get at this point.

I will have to quit sleeping as soon as Discovery HD goes on the DirecTV.

Does anyone have a good target on line date for KCCI (Channel 8)?

Enjoy.

Justin

SAT HD 100
Sanyo PLV60HT

pat*m 06-17-2002 04:14 PM

I emailed KGAN about www.titantv.com's go live date and here is the reply I got:
Quote:

Pat, we never had July 15 as a date. Construction on our equipment is not
anywhere near complete. Looks like November or December.

Thanks for your interest

Les

What a bummer...I was looking forward to watching CSI in HIDEF at the beginning of the new season

mtmdesmoines 06-17-2002 09:44 PM

Pat,

Sorry to hear that about Cedar Rapids. Here in Des Moines KCCI will be up and running July 1st (according to www.titantv.com)!!!!!!!!

Jtuck2, same here, I would love Discovery in HD also!!! I thought people from knoxville just liked car racing (joke).

Mark

jtuck2 06-18-2002 07:25 AM

Yeah Mark, those races are big business. I personally have little interest. But don't rock the boat if you are riding in it I guess.

What are you seeing for signal strengths on WHO and KDSM? I see my meters max out on both, but I wonder if they are broadcasting at higher power than will be normal as they get more familiar with this format. Otherwise the Sony has some sort of issue, which would not be out of the realm of possibility.

As a side note, I sent an e-mail to DirecTV urging them to pick up Discovery HD. I would urge anyone locally who is interested to let them know that there is interest. I also expressed interest in local stations, but I assume we are a low priority market for them. Maybe if the merger goes through?

Enjoy the show...

Justin

mtmdesmoines 06-18-2002 12:07 PM

Justin,

I have the Mits ws65909 with an integrated tuner (no signal meter), I have yet to put up my dish and add my dtc-100.

Good idea on the e-mail for Discovery. If Dish buys Directv, look for locals (non HD) on dish within a year. And more HD!!!

Mark

pat*m 06-18-2002 04:50 PM

Mark,
I hope you are right about KCCI...
Titantv has KGAN listed as July 15, but after emaling KGAN directly...titantv is totally wrong

You might want to contact KCCI and get an answer directly from the source.

If my antenna wasn't in the attic, I might try to pick up KIMT (CBS) in Mason City.

mtmdesmoines 06-18-2002 09:57 PM

Pat,

www.kcci.com has sometime in July on their website. I am more frustrated that dish now has HD discovery channel and directv doesn't.

If any of you have a current directv account, CALL DIRECTV, DON'T E-MAIL, I have read that this is more effective (takes 5 minutes)!!!

That is surprizing about titantv being wrong, THEY are based in Cedar Rapids!!!

Is anybody trying to add some sorta big antenna/rotar to try to pick up HD from other IA markets? I wonder if it is possible?

Mark

jtuck2 06-19-2002 06:31 AM

Mark

I called DirecTV too as you recommended regarding Discovery HD.

I have not tried any other antenna location or setup. I live very close to Lake Red Rock in very heavy timber. I had convinced myself that it will be nearly impossible to get any other signal out of the Des Moines market. I have some real doubts about WOI when they finally get that ball rolling. My current antenna is in the attic of my garage (an off the shelf standard RCA VHF/UHF/FM model, albeit sized a little larger than required) and my reception of our two available signals is great.

One oddity on my Sony tuner is that it will auto scan for digital signals. On two occasions, it has picked up something it thinks is digital. It displays at 98.00. When I try to tune it I get the dreaded "Searching for digital signal" so it may be some weird sideband, but I am obviously not an electronic genius, so I am not sure what it thinks it is seeing. Could this be an out of market signal that is too weak to be tuned?

Bill Sears 06-19-2002 10:26 AM

Hey all centrall Iowans,
I am currently a little disappointed with the signal I get from WHO-DT and KDSM-DT. I live about 30-40 miles away from the transmitters and I cannot get a steady signal. Of course I believe it is my antenna and my location, I have the radio shack vbu190 and there are a lot of trees in my area. I did order a channel master 4228 and should have it tomorrow. If this doesn't work, I don't think anything else will.
Here are the stats for the channels I can get:
WHO-DT= 0-85
KDSM-DT= 0-70

For the most part WHO-DT is at least watchable when all of the conditions are right, KDSM-DT is bad, the signal fluctuates between 0 and 70 all of the time.

Well, I will report tomorrow and let you know how the 4228 does here.

Bill

jtuck2 06-19-2002 12:34 PM

Bill

I am little more than 30-40 miles away (between Knoxville and Pella on Lake Red Rock) and my signal is peaked (99) on both WHO and KDSM. I very nearly went ahead and bought the Terk T55 (I think that was the model, whatever Terk's HD antenna is from Best Buy) when I got the Sony HD receiver. I am glad I didn't, because at least for now it would appear to have been a waste. My antenna is the largest RCA standard model Home Depot sold. I got VERY, VERY lucky with positioning it. It is in the attic of my garage hung from bungee cords and couldn't be turned without major structural mods on the garage roof. I had this antenna in place before the HD bug hit me, or I probably would have a HD model too.

You might want to check if your current antenna's UHF array is actually hooked up and you aren't losing the signal through a splitter or Ohm converter where you transition from the antenna to cable. If you are receiving standard def UHF stations (non DT KDSM, Pax, WB) then this is a dead end, but if their signals are giving you poor reception too then it might save you hanging a new antenna. A lot of the cheaper splitters, Ohm converters, etc. will pass VHF great but end up losing the UHF side.

Just a suggestion, please don't take offense if I have suggested the obvious. Good luck.

Justin

jtuck2 06-19-2002 12:46 PM

Mark, you mentioned in an earlier post about recording Jay Leno. What equipment do you have for this? Also did you get it locally or internet or what? What price range are we talking about?

I have been scared to buy recording equip. until they figure out the whole copy protection mess. I really wish Tivo would put out a HD recorder and solve my recording problems. I rarely record anything long term, just long enough to watch it and then rerecord over it. My current Tivo won't even control my HD Sony receiver correctly enough to record standard def programming, so my wife gets to enjoy the Tivo on her TV.

Justin

Bill Sears 06-19-2002 03:30 PM

Hi Justin,

It is funny, my reception for analog UHF stations are fine when the antenna is positionend correctly, and VHF doesn't have a problem. I hope that this antenna will get me locked in with the digital stations because at times it is like watching a pixelated slide show with a ton of dropouts .

Bill

mtmdesmoines 06-19-2002 07:24 PM

jtuck2,

I earned a Mits Hd-HSU2000u from Mits, I am a salesperson at a local electronics store. I have read somewhere on this website that someone out west is selling them for under $500. That's a great deal.

The downfall of the Mits is it wont play JVC's D-theater tapes that are just being released.

At first I was recording everything in HD, now I only record Jay if he has any wildlife on the show.

You might want to look into the JVC model.

Mark

Bill Sears 06-20-2002 07:21 PM

Well, I got the Channel Master 4228 today and hooked it below my other antenna. I get a stable signal at around 90 with WHO-DT and at around 80 for KDSM-DT. Now if I can only find a better spot (ie no trees) for my 65 degree dish so I can enjoy some of the discovery HD!

Mark, which store do you work for?

Bill

mtmdesmoines 06-20-2002 09:18 PM

Bill,

I work at American. I just got a reply back from my e-mail to kcci, the person I e-mailed didn't know the exact date. He just said sometime in July, so keep your eyes open.

Mark

jtuck2 06-21-2002 06:49 AM

Mark, do you guys not sell the JVC D-theater machines?

Also, what do you hear from a sales side about some sort of Firewire or other connection to enable copy protection? I am very nervous to invest more into a setup that the manufacturers aren't going to maintain backwards compatability for. I already have too much in the system now according to the wife, but I guess we have all heard that.

Also, does KDIN (PBS) ever turn their DT antenna on? I saw their demo at the State Fair, but I was under the impression that they weren't broadcasting yet. Titan TV's site shows them on the air on Channel 50.

Justin

mtmdesmoines 06-21-2002 09:29 PM

Justin,

No, pbs only broadcasts their hd signal during the state fair, they say they don't have the funds to go full hd yet.

Thanks to Pat M's suggestion, I called KCCI and found out from their main engineer, steve houg, KCCI digital channel 31 may take up to sept 1st, before they start broadcasting. They have to do a modification to the tower in Alleman and their work is affected by the wind, TALL TOWERS!!!

So, pray for calm weather and he said we could see the signal start in July so no comfirmed date.

He did say they will carry all the HD that CBS dishes out in primetime, but they will not broadcast the HD daytime show, Young and the restless. Not that I care about soap operas, just an FYI.

Now I wonder where titantv.com gets their info?

As far as DVHS

American doesn't carry any JVC DVHS.

DVHS, IMHO will be dead in 5-7 years and we will have recordable DVD, hopefully sooner!!!

It is fun to record HD at first you want to record everything, I enjoy the HD coors comercials and I show them to friends. Then after about a couple of weeks I find, I am getting more picky, recording mainly wildlife on Jay or if he has some bigtime actor on.

My best advise is get a RCA DTC-100 and add rabbit ears and enjoy Jay!!!

Mark

pat*m 06-22-2002 12:05 PM

Mark,
Glad you got ahold of someone at KCCI.
Can't get much better info than straight from the main engineer

Bill Sears 06-27-2002 09:58 PM

Has anyone noticed that KDSM's digital signal is weaker? I get about 48-49% signal strength now. Or it could be me...

mtmdesmoines 06-27-2002 11:46 PM

Bill,

KDSM sucks!!!!!!!!!! They are upconverting their analog signal to 480i.

According to WHO, they have a temp tower.

PRAYING FOR RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

jtuck2 06-28-2002 06:11 AM

Has anyone ever seen anything but 480i programming on KDSM? I have not.

I was actually amazed when I found their digital signal the first time, I assumed they would be among the PAX and WB late bloomers, considering the typical quality of their non FOX programming.

I have not checked signal strength lately, but will now that Bill noticed it.

I kind of wondered if KDSM and WHO wouldn't start turning the power down a little and see who complained. It would probably be worth an e-mail to let them know that we noticed.

Has anyone actually lost signal because of the decreased strength?

Justin

I'm with Mark, praying for rain.

Bill Sears 06-28-2002 08:16 PM

Well, for awhile today when I tried to tune to digital 17, it would transfer me to analog 17. I prefer the digital 17 over analog 17 because it is a cleaner picture for me. All programming I have seen on digital 17 has been 480i but it is still better than the anaolg version I get.

It now looks like my dish 6000 can no longer see d17 but 16-01, and I get about 67% with it. The result: all picture and no sound.

Digital 13 has been fluctuating on me a bit now, it will jump from 86 to 75 and back every so often.

I really hope these station don't decrease their power, because if I am having this much trouble getting a decent signal from Des Moines, think of those people in Ottumwa and Oskaloosa are going to have even more trouble...

jtuck2 07-01-2002 06:15 AM

Bill,

Checked signal strengths this weekend.

WHO 97%, it previously had been peaked at 100.

KDSM 78%, it also had been peaked at 100.

I have not noticed any detrimental pq because of the lower signals, but rarely have KDSM on. It too is superior to my analog 17, but honestly there is nothing on FOX that I watch. Even my football is on the Sunday Ticket, so it is a worthless channel.

mtmdesmoines 07-01-2002 10:11 PM

O.K.

Not to nag, but once again Jay went SD about 15 minutes into the show, I called and they turned the HD back on.

It was good to find out that someone was there at 11:06!!!

Please, if you guys are staying up late to watch Jay. Call and complain. 282-1313.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Mark

mtmdesmoines 07-03-2002 12:37 PM

Hey Everyone,

I emailed titantv.com and told them what I knew, they said they would contact KCCI in a return e-mail.

As of today, titantv.com has KCCI listed to go up on July 19th!!!

Cool

Mark

jtuck2 07-03-2002 01:11 PM

Mark,

Can't wait for KCCI. Keep me informed if you hear anything more. Thanks for taking the tiger by the tail.

Justin

mtmdesmoines 07-03-2002 01:28 PM

Darn theese holidays (joke),

Nobody is in at KCCI that can verify that date. I will try again Monday.

Have a fun and safe 4th of July!!!

Mark

Bill Sears 07-03-2002 01:31 PM

I also can't wait for KCCI, then I can get rid of the CBS channel on my dish programming.

About KDSM, I get a picture now at about 67-70, but no sound. I have given up and I will just watch analog 17. (Simpsons, King of the Hill)

mtmdesmoines 07-04-2002 09:09 PM

Bill,

Your signal is fine. I tried KDSM tonight and I have the same situation.

I called kDSM 287-1717 and left a message with their news crew on their machine. I never watch this channel, but I hope this helps you out.

All forthed out, so I decided to stay home and watch HD jay and found out we wont have any Dtv tonight, all engineers are off at WHO, funny!!!

Also, everyone if you would call KDSM, we need to keep the stations honest!!!

Thanks

Mark

jtuck2 07-07-2002 09:53 AM

Mark and Bill,

I called KDSM too, I have the same problem. Picture (spotty) with no sound. Has anyone seen a good signal since Bill noticed this problem?

Thanks,

Justin

mtmdesmoines 07-08-2002 11:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I would like to start out by saying I am sorry for spreading false info on KCCI going to DTV on July 19th.

I spoke with Steve on monday and he said, "I'm the one turning on the signal and it probably wont be until Sept 1st".

The people that work on the tower have to work on it early in the morning (4:00-10:00), after that, it is too windy (anthing above 20mpr). We have to remember that this tower is 1800 feet tall!!!

So, sorry about the titantv thing, I will rely on Steve only!!!

On a side note, I am getting our 65" Mits callibrated this week by Dave Levy, and will let you know my thoughts!!!!!!!!

Have Fun!!!

Mark

pat*m 07-09-2002 03:49 PM

Mark, too bad on the KCCI deal
At least you'll still be up and running before Cedar Rapids (KGAN)

jtuck2 07-09-2002 04:12 PM

Still no sound on KDSM. Anyone hear any excuses when they called? I was simply told they would pass it along to their engineering dept.

Also on a side note, Mark who is Dave Levy? Sorry for my ignorance, but the name doesn't even ring a bell. I assume he is local? Is he qualified to calibrate my Sanyo PLV60HT projector? I have attempted to set it up with Avia, and feel fairly comfortable with what I ended up with. I would kind of like to have a pro give me a look though. If the price was right of course. If you feel like it and I am not being to nosy, let me know what he charged. If you would rather do it in private, email is [email protected] .

Thanks.

Justin

mtmdesmoines 07-09-2002 08:14 PM

Justin,

Check out www.abbeyroadht.com Dave Levy is ISF certified and has the equipment to do a proper ISF calibration, here in Des Moines!!! I have also messed with Avia and Video Essentials, but I want a real calibration done!!!

He charges $275 for a rear projection calibration (that is the going price). I was a little nervous about using him since he has been doing this for about 2 years, but after I spoke with him about the Mits red push issue and realizing he knew what he was talking about and he could correct it. I am going with Dave (rather than waiting for a calibration tour). It looks like he is getting pretty popular, he is having his own Kansas City tour!!!

I will post my after thoughts on the calibration this week.

Mark

mtmdesmoines 07-10-2002 10:40 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just got Calibrated by Dave!!! Man is he a perfectionist. If you want the short of it, if you watch Progressive DVD or HD and want a more natural picture get it done!!! If you want a longer story of what was done, don't worry I will try to post everything within the next few days. I am too tired right now (it took about 5 1/2 hours!!!) And besides Dave deserves his own post!!!

Have fun everyone!!!

Mark

Xenon221 07-11-2002 05:41 PM

Hey everybody,

It's been a while since I've stopped by so I was quite interested to read the latest DSM HDTV news from everyone. That is too bad about the KCCI delay. They really should reconsider and sign on sooner than that.

I was just in the Mason City area and the local CBS affiliate is indeed broadcasting at decent power (60-75). They were not broadcasting HD however, only an up-convert. I hope that when KCCI does sign on, they are HD capable esp. since they now have more setup time.

I have noticed the same audio problems with KDSM. Recently, while watching the station, the sound was restored and I noticed less noise and improved audio quality (though still in mono). The video also appeared to be slightly improved with better contrast and black level. It still had the interlaced/combing artifact though, but it was at least a step in the right direction nonetheless.

Another KDSM note: This morning the power was fluctuating wildly (from 5 up to 81 or so), but no program streams were being transmitted. All I was seeing here was green screen. Maybe they are working on the video issues or FOX Widescreen! We shall see. ---No sub-channels yet, but both the video and audio is back tonight.---

Sounds like you had a great experience with the calibration Mark; I'll definitely keep Dave in mind when I make the big purchase. Thanks as always for the good info.

-Loren

Bill Sears 07-18-2002 09:05 PM

Anyone know when PBS is going to go live?

KDSM-DT Does look better and I have to crank up the sound to hear it, but I think they are heading in the right direction finally (excluding only doing 480p and not Hi-Def resolutions).

That 8 bow tie channelmaster antenna is awesome, rock stable signal from both digital stations.

Later all,
Bill

jtuck2 07-19-2002 05:53 AM

No idea about PBS, although it will be my most watched channel when it arrives.

Did you get your new antenna locally or over internet? Also, did you run a new cable or split into your existing?

Did you actually see signal improvement on KDSM because of the antenna or is it simply them working through their issues?

I will probably have to get a better DT antenna eventually, because I still haven't seen any improvements on KDSM. WHO is pretty stable though. Any info on your setup would be appreciated, because I suspect we are in a similar reception area, although on different compass points obviously.

Can't wait for fall.

Justin

Bill Sears 07-19-2002 11:33 AM

Hi Justin,
I got the Channel Master 4228 over the internet at Warren Electronics which are located near the Quad Cities. It only took them a day to deliver the antenna.

My antenna hookup involves the Radio Shack vbu-190 on top, and the Channel Master 4228 right below it pointing a slightly different dirrection. I am using a vhf/uhf combiner to combine the signals.

Before I received the 4228, my digital signals would fluctuate at more than 10 a time, where KDSM would be 40-70 and WHO-DT would be 65-80. When I added the 4228, the signals were close to rock stable, 69-71 for KDSM-DT, and 95-97 for WHO-DT.

I'll try to get a picture of my antenna stack, but I won't promise anything!

BTW, when I combine the signals for my antennas, it seems that I will only get UHF from the 4228 and not from the vbu-190, why is that?

Bill

mtmdesmoines 07-19-2002 10:36 PM

Hey guys!!!!!

Nice to see the thread going!!!! Look for the PBS signal channel 50 around state fair time, they should be broadcasting from a temp antenna on the cities EAST side. Just a few weeks away!!!! Titan says full time by Aug 1st, IPTV.org says by 2003 and how did you like tonight beautiful CBS picture (joke) now under review with titan.

I believe the engineer at IPTV is Bill Hayes. This would also be my most watched channel (my 2 yr old loves clifford!!!!!).

Bill is the vbu-190 a vhf antenna? I tried a search on RS' website and came up with nothing. DTV is UHF only.

Thanks guys for keeping the thread going!!!!!!!

Mark

Bill Sears 07-19-2002 11:15 PM

Hey Mark,

My bad, the Radio Shack antenna model number is VU-190 XR. It is the 160" antenna that has both VHF and UHF components. I am thinking that the 4228 is overriding the RS antenna's UHF signal as it is the stonger signal. Not that this is a bad thing except that the WB now sounds like someone crinkling tin foil all of the time. Believe it or not I actually found a RS Double Bow tie in Cedar Rapids for $9.99. I have it hooked inside and when I want to watch the WB, I just connect the DBT antenna to the main antenna line. All my other stations go to crap, but the WB comes in fine. This doesn't bother me too much as I only watch the WB occasionally.

Well, I might be at the Taste of Des Moines tomorrow, hope you all have a good weekend!

Bill

txbrandon 07-20-2002 03:07 PM

Me and the head engineer over at KWQC (NBC) have been emailing each other back and forth and he said the location antennaweb.org provides on there site is wrong. He told me the new tower is located in Orion, IL. Also he said they hope to be broadcasting as early as the end of August.

"We plan to be on the air with our digital transmitter by November 1st. We
will be transmitting from the new tower in Orion, IL. on channel 56 (UHF).
In the future when analog television transmissions must cease we will then
transmit the digital signal on channel 6 from our current tower site in
Bettendorf. This will probably be many years in the future.

Regards,
Doug Bierman
KWQC-TV6 Engineering
"

ps. I got the later email talking about the August date but have since delted it.

mtmdesmoines 07-23-2002 11:27 PM

txbrandon,

Thats good to hear!!! I am thinking about going into the DXing thing and I could possibly pick up KWQC in HD, if I can put the right equipment together.

Thanks again

Mark

Xenon221 07-27-2002 02:17 PM

Hey everyone,

Last night, I was watching the KCCI 10pm news broadcast and they had a short segment on their HDTV construction. It showed the new antenna element being lifted by crane earlier in the day. As I recall, they mentioned it was ~75 feet tall and weighs in at over 1500 lbs. They also said they are looking forward to providing the new transmission later in the summer-- I know I am really looking forward to watching it!

I like what I'm seeing. We are definitely getting much closer to CBS in HD!

-Loren

MAX HD 07-27-2002 05:43 PM

Bill Sears,

The combiner is blocking UHF from the 190XR as it's designed to do.Otherwise,you will have mutipath-type problems,combining both UHF's.

jtuck2 07-28-2002 07:42 AM

Thanks for the update Xenon, I missed the 10pm news. This link to the story is on their site.

http://www.theiowachannel.com/news/1579754/detail.html

I can't wait !!!

BTW, as Mark suggested, I have Dave Levy coming over tomorrow eve. to calibrate my Sanyo LCD projector. I will post my thoughts on the outcome if anyone is interested.

Sounds like another wild weather night, enjoy.

Justin

mtmdesmoines 07-28-2002 11:20 PM

jtuck2,

get envolved and enjoy Dave's calibration!!!!!!!! He does a fantastic Job!!!!!!!!!!

mtmdesmoines 07-30-2002 02:43 PM

Hey Everyone,

Titantv.com is correct about IPTV going digital Aug 1st, Channel 50 (6:30pm start time). I just got off the phone with Karen from PBS. They will be broadcasting the IA state fair in Hd and other demos, during the fair.

They will be up Full time for at least 3 months after the fair. Then the money issue comes into effect and they may have to shut down.

She couldn't tell me if they will pass through the National HD feed but I left a message for Bill and will post when I find out.

If you want to call them 515-242-3100.

Getting the recorder ready!!!!!!

Mark

AbbeyRoad 07-30-2002 06:04 PM

Mark has said such nice things, I thought I better jump in. As comfortable as I am doing any kind of CRT device, Justin gave me my first shot at an LCD projector. I have to report I'm not happy with the result.

I was able to center his controls and adjust black level, color and tint but I could not complete the grayscale calibration. I kept running out of room, especially in the red drive, to get all the way to D6500K. After 4 hours, I had to admit defeat and just remove some of the blue out of the high end to get his colors into a reasonable range. As is my policy, I did not charge Justin but he graciously offered to pay my travel expense.

I hope to be in touch with Sanyo reps at the CEDIA conference in September so I can try again with Justin's projector. I'll also be talking to other ISFers to see what I can find out.

Please get in touch with me directly if you have any questions. We may have to form an Iowa HD group one of these days to show off our setups.

Dave
www.AbbeyRoadHT.com

pat*m 07-30-2002 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AbbeyRoad
We may have to form an Iowa HD group one of these days to show off our setups.

Dave, that would be cool if I could get more than 2 HD programs. I don't even watch Crossing Jordan or Leno

AbbeyRoad 07-30-2002 08:34 PM

You're right, Pat. Maybe it will have to be an HT group for now.

jtuck2 07-31-2002 06:14 AM

I would be up for a HT group if anyone feels like organizing it. The addition of digital PBS will up my viewing time considerably. Perhaps an encouraging e-mail from all of us will help with the HDTV decision on their part.

I am very pleased with what Dave managed to accomplish with my unit. I would highly recommend that anyone who has not had their picture calibrated do so. After further viewing after Dave left, my picture looks better than I thought it could. My black levels are better than I thought possible out of a LCD projector. He gave it his all, but either Sanyo's controls are wildly out of whack or there is a lack of adequate description in the service literature. Many of the controls that he was familiar with did not perform as expected. One adjustment was even inverted (up was down).

I was apprehensive about purchasing a front projector, but with my application it made the most sense. I knew that it would be the minority in our market. I feel lucky to have stumbled across Dave, who obviously has the patience to work on unfamiliar equipment. Hopefully Dave can get some guidance from Sanyo and we can complete the calibration at some later date.

In short, Dave's professional adjustments did more in a short time with my unit than I accomplished in a whole day with Avia. And he was not satisfied with what he accomplished.

Happy viewing,

Justin

mtmdesmoines 07-31-2002 02:40 PM

Justin,

Sorry to here there are some technical issues with your setup, if anyone can find a solution, Dave can!!!

Even though the calibration didn't work out for you, you could post something nice for dave in my thread in the HD hardware forum.

Just a thought, he still might find a solution and it is good to know that he still made improvements beyond what you could do.

Have fun, it sounds like you have a great setup!!!

Mark

jtuck2 08-02-2002 01:06 PM

OK, where was PBS last night? After I looked at their site it looks more to me like the 11th. Anyone hear anything different?

mtmdesmoines 08-02-2002 09:10 PM

Jtuck2,

I don't know, thats pretty bad when I hear it from one of Bill's assitants that it will be up and it isn't. Maybe they will wait till the 8th, 1st day of the fair.

Xenon221 08-03-2002 12:01 AM

Hey guys,

I'm wondering the same thing. IPTV was broadcasting this afternoon for a short time (about an hour or so) with a new demo loop on channel 50.2. There was footage of Iowa's capitol building, nature scenes, and clips from various PBS shows. My signal strength showed ~85, but I experienced frequent dropouts with interruptions in audio. It could be on my end, but they might also be having some technical problems that are causing the delay.

BTW: I am currently receiving a signal strength of 5 on channel 31! It could be some DXing, or possibly KCCI powering up the new transmitter? Let's hope for the latter!!

-Loren

Xenon221 08-03-2002 04:51 PM

Another HDTV update; IPTV-DT is back on the air as of 5:30pm this evening. A program called, "This Old Statehouse" is now showing on 50.2.

Looks great, but I am still experiencing a few dropouts. I'll be anxious to hear how others are receiving.

Have a good weekend,

-Loren

mtmdesmoines 08-03-2002 06:57 PM

Loren,

I am not getting any signal as of 7:58 are they still running?

Mark

Xenon221 08-03-2002 08:09 PM

Hi Mark,

Nothing here either. Looks like their back down again. I don't know what the deal is. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

-Loren

Xenon221 08-05-2002 05:32 PM

IPTV is back up on 50.3. They were playing a sequence featuring scenes from Italy. Smart Travels came on at 6:30pm. Don't know how long this will last, but just wanted to let you guys know.

-Loren

mtmdesmoines 08-05-2002 07:26 PM

Loren,

No signal on my integrated tuner or on the Dtc-100. Signal strength of Who-DT is 88 here in Grimes. I wonder where PBS is broadcasting from, and how much power they are using.

Smart Travels, that is interesting, I read somewhere that HDNET will let any station broadcast their material, if they wanted to in HD.

I wonder if they struck a deal with Mark Cuban.

Thanks for the post, please post again, if you see something.

I haven't installed an outdoor antenna yet and that could be my problem.

Thanks

Mark

Xenon221 08-05-2002 08:00 PM

Mark,

No problem. Sorry to hear you're not receiving the signal. WHO-DT is around 85-87 here (northwest side of DSM) and IPTV is 83-85. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the signal they are transmitting; it still breaks up quite often and occasionally freezes. I am not sure where they are broadcasting from.

One promising thing about this is that IPTV seems to be transmitting the PBS satellite feed. In addition to the travel show, there have been various 30 minute specials from affiliates around the country (including one from KY with Ashley Judd in it.) In between each show is a welcome to PBS digital sequence. This may still be streaming off of a previous recording, but there has been unique segments since around 6:30 this evening.

They don't seem to be sending any PSIP data yet. Like you, I am also using an indoor antenna: a RS bow-tie antenna on the second floor that is working well. I have it aimed north-northeast and tipped forward slightly. A couple of days ago, it was not positioned right and the signal on IPTV was 5 and other times I was just getting a green screen.

Keep doing the channel scans and try to enter 50.3 manually if possible. Good luck in trying to pull this in.

Talk to you later,

-Loren

mtmdesmoines 08-05-2002 09:09 PM

Loren,

Amazing, the picture from IPTV!!! I am getting some audio drop outs thought. I switched antennas old metrostar 2000 to a terk tv50, still indoors, I haven't had time to install an outdoor antenna yet. On the DTC-100, IPTV is channel 80, I have a signal strength of 53 here, but a lot of Audio drop outs. Are you having the same problem?

Touring New Jersey-WOW!!!! If anybody is reading this thread and are thinking about HD, go to the fair and see this demo!!!

I think, I have to donate to IPTV if they can keep up this kinda material!!!

On a closing note IPTV channel 80 signal strength 53, WHO channel 13 SS 88 and disappointing no HD content channel 17 SS 40.

Kinda cool to think we have 3 DTV channels here in Des Moines!!!

And thanks again Loren, it looks like IPTV shuts off at 10.

Mark

jtuck2 08-06-2002 08:49 AM

Hey all, last night my signal was 92-97 all night on IPTV. I have a big RCA antenna in the attic of my garage. It was picking up signal, even when they were transmitting no picture or sound. The pq is exceptional, although like you I was picking up audio and video dropouts occasionally, even with the high signal strength. A lot of the video would have little motion artifacts or dropped pixels occasionally. I assume they are still working through broadcasting bugs.

I would gather that they are transmitting somewhere closer to me than to Des Moines from the higher signal strengths. My WHO-DT is high 80's, but Fox is plain nasty, barely 60 most of the time, must be right at the detection threshold, because it drops in and out frequently. Luckily I have Sunday Ticket, so Fox has nothing for me.

Any word on WOI's conversion? Titan shows Nov 1, which I think is extremely optimistic. If their antenna is closer to Ames, I might be out of luck. They are typically my worst OTA standard station anyway. I would really love to see Monday Night Football clearly for a change.

Great to see a few of us are watching. I hope 3 interested viewers are worth the added expense for the stations. LOL. Mark, is American selling a lot of digital sets? I would be ashamed if we are truly the only interested parties in our market.

Keep me posted on developments.

Justin

mtmdesmoines 08-06-2002 09:28 AM

Justin,

WOI doesn't have a CLUE!!! Just got off the phone with Cindy & Dennis, didn't get their last names, they have the transmittor they just don't know where to put it?!? But I don't think anybody watches this station other than for MNF.

IPTV is up and running again, my integrated tuner is getting a lot of drop outs, so I am not recording, but my DTC-100 is pulling it in beautifully. I need to put up a good antenna.

I know of others that pull OTA HD, but they don't frequent here.

Yes we sell a lot of HD sets, but not too many OTA receivers. People don't know what they are missing!!!

Have fun

Mark

mtmdesmoines 08-06-2002 08:51 PM

Hey guys,

Did anybody see, IPTV at between 3:30 to say around 4:15?

The reason I ask is, I came in from doing yard work and heard no sound from my tv, I look and I see a HD image of IPTV's production center in Johnston!!!

And there were a couple guys goofing around, one guy talking on the phone, all in HD. I don't know if it was live though.

I e-mailed Bill but have yet to hear anything back. They will be taping and broadcasting this years fair in HD!!!

Mark

Xenon221 08-08-2002 08:20 PM

Mark,

Glad to see you are receiving. Didn't see them outside the studio the other day; that sounds like some compelling content, haha. Right now though, I am watching the State Fair Parade. I can't believe we now have local HD content available to us; this is great to see! Apparently, it was actually shown live yesterday evening.

I too have been very impressed by the quality of the shows from PBS. Some of the shots are just incredible! A few dropouts here and there, but not bad, not bad at all. Great work IPTV!

Enjoy, everyone!

-Loren

mtmdesmoines 08-08-2002 08:32 PM

Loren,

Yes, I taped that last night along with a bunch of other stuff including Saving the Barns in IA!!!

Mark

o00kool 08-09-2002 12:46 AM

IPTV will be on till the end of the month and then turn off for the Month of September But Be back In October and through the fall during prime time

Bill Sears 08-09-2002 09:07 AM

I talked to one of the IPTV people at the State Fair yesterday and he said that the reason why there are audio and video problems is because their receiver is doing something weird. Basically he said that they have to get another on from PBS to replace this one. He also told me that they were going to be on until funding runs out (3 months), although the post above me would make more sense (probably what they are going to do).

Did anyone check out the LIVE HD footage they ran Wednesday night, like the Iowa State Fair Parade? He told me they have 2 Sony HD Cams that they can do this with.

One more thing, it sound like on or around 2006 they will switch back to VHF 11 for their digital broadcasts.

Sorry guys, I didn't get a name. He had grayish hair with a short grayish beard. Check IPTV out at the Varied Industries building.

Bill

HDTVwannabe 08-09-2002 01:15 PM

We eastern Iowans (QC area) won't have HD PBS until May, 2003.

jtuck2 08-11-2002 07:01 AM

A copy of my reply back from Dennis P., WOI's engineer. Take what you will from it. I guess we could plaster them with requests (and ABC) for HD, but I doubt it will do any good. I am sure HD receivers are slated for stations with some degree of market share first. WOI has to be 3rd in market constantly.

Dennis P :

Hi Justin,
We hope to be up this fall with a city grade (Ames - Des Moines)
signal on channel 59. We will be transmitting a digital signal. We will not
be transmitting a high definition signal until ABC sends us a satellite
receiver that receives the digital broadcasts. Still, just having a digital
signal on the air with no noise from computers, doorbell transformers,
electronic dog runs and machine shops with arc welders will be a welcome
change. We will look like a signal coming down on the dish network.