San Antonio, TX - HDTV - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4381 of 4388 Old 12-01-2017, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
No posts in this thread for over a year, which doesn't bode well, but I'll post anyway.

Cancelled cable with Spectrum (ex-Time Warner) earlier this week and just hooked up an antenna I got today. I got the Vansky indoor amplified 50 mile range antenna and hooked it up to my Vizio E60-C3 TV. What I most want are the four major networks, but I'm only getting two of them.

I get:

5-1 KENS (CBS)
29-1 KABB (FOX)
35-1 KMYS (CW)

I'm not getting the NBC or ABC affiliate in a scan at all, nor PBS. I've tried moving the antenna around and re-scanning. According to this site where I put in my address, those towers are 21-28 miles away. Any idea on what I can do? This is my first time using an antenna ever since I was a kid and we had the old rabbit ears antenna, so I may just be doing something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4388 Old 12-02-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentalbert View Post
No posts in this thread for over a year, which doesn't bode well, but I'll post anyway.

Cancelled cable with Spectrum (ex-Time Warner) earlier this week and just hooked up an antenna I got today. I got the Vansky indoor amplified 50 mile range antenna and hooked it up to my Vizio E60-C3 TV. What I most want are the four major networks, but I'm only getting two of them.

I get:

5-1 KENS (CBS)
29-1 KABB (FOX)
35-1 KMYS (CW)

I'm not getting the NBC or ABC affiliate in a scan at all, nor PBS. I've tried moving the antenna around and re-scanning. According to this site where I put in my address, those towers are 21-28 miles away. Any idea on what I can do? This is my first time using an antenna ever since I was a kid and we had the old rabbit ears antenna, so I may just be doing something wrong.
I'm in the downtown area with a very similar antenna. Both KSAT 12 (ABC) and PBS are pretty choppy on most days. I've managed to get 4 (NBC) about 95% of the time, plus the channels you listed. It took a bit of antenna maneuvering, so that's all I can really suggest.

Thanks for the link to that "no cable" site!
post #4383 of 4388 Old 12-02-2017, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentalbert View Post
I get:

5-1 KENS (CBS)
29-1 KABB (FOX)
35-1 KMYS (CW)

You should be getting NBC and ABC also since their towers are in the same location as CBS and Fox. Not sure what's wrong, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4384 of 4388 Old 12-02-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 168
PBS and ABC are on VHF (whereas most of the other stations are on UHF). Those mudflap antennas are designed for UHF and VHF is barely passable on them.

since that "other site" posted your legit address (if you entered in correctly) I was able to do a tvfool at 15 feet
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60ed32068a107d

Note there is a glitch in the database as stations moving to different RF numbers due to the repack are not showing up. This refers to NBC & CBS but looking at the other stations I'm sure the results are the same. As you can see most are 1 and 2edge which means the signal has to bounce off of something (or in case of 2edge 2 things) before it reaches you. So it requires moving the antenna around to see if you can finds the sweet spot. If you can put one on the roof, attic, deck, etc I would go with an outdoor antenna. Much more reliable.
post #4385 of 4388 Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
PBS and ABC are on VHF (whereas most of the other stations are on UHF). Those mudflap antennas are designed for UHF and VHF is barely passable on them.

since that "other site" posted your legit address (if you entered in correctly) I was able to do a tvfool at 15 feet
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60ed32068a107d

Note there is a glitch in the database as stations moving to different RF numbers due to the repack are not showing up. This refers to NBC & CBS but looking at the other stations I'm sure the results are the same. As you can see most are 1 and 2edge which means the signal has to bounce off of something (or in case of 2edge 2 things) before it reaches you. So it requires moving the antenna around to see if you can finds the sweet spot. If you can put one on the roof, attic, deck, etc I would go with an outdoor antenna. Much more reliable.
Thanks. I did enter my address correctly in that link. I wasn't intending to make it visible, but don't really care. I'm in the medical center area near near where Backcock turns into DeZavala. I guess I'll have to go with a roof or attic antenna. I'll try what I have for a few more days but probably return it. Thanks for the help. Any suggestion on good installers? Going up on the roof or even my attic isn't for me.
post #4386 of 4388 Old 12-03-2017, 08:40 AM

I've given up on this antenna. Tried for hours last night to get all the networks, moving the antenna all over the room as far as the cable would allow and re-scanning. The only network (plethora of spanish and shopping channels aside) I consistently got was the CW. Fox came in most of the time. CBS sometimes, but usually it would catch the channel in a scan, but when I tried to view it, it would just be a few frozen pixels and then lose it altogether. With one placement I got the ABC affiliate and the picture/reception was fantastic. Was able to watch a football game and never had any problems, but then when I moved the antenna a few feet and re-scanned, the channel was gone and I never picked it up again with any placement. The reception on Fox for the Big10 Conference title game was pretty good, but went to hell the last five minutes, just becoming a jumbled mess of pixelization and cutting out. Totally unwatchable. But never in any scan did it ever pick up at all the NBC or PBS affiliates. So this just isn't adequate and I'll return it.

There is a channel with the call-sign LAFF that always came in, but with real bad synch issues. The audio was always about five seconds ahead of the video.

Would still like some recomendations on a good local installer for a roof or attic mounted antenna if anyone can guide me.
post #4387 of 4388 Old 06-23-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Is anyone able to confirm that KGMM-CD moved, or is it just off the air? How about K27LF-D?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4388 of 4388 Old 08-25-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody else lose KSAT over the weekend? Can’t find them at all. Rescan didn’t help. Are they off the air?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page