Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 411 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes
post #12301 of 12311 Unread 08-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 25
70 years ago when WFMY came on the air, issues with TV were different. Today we expect first rate picture and sound and aren't laboring to get even a degraded picture.
The program below people were happy to get no matter the pic and sound. Today, I'm not sure many would want to watch a program like this with perfect pic and sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12302 of 12311 Unread 08-13-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Major Pay TV Providers Lost Over 1.5M Customers In Q2: Leichtman
Massive DirecTV erosion puts AT&T in second place behind Comcast

DANIEL FRANKEL AUG 12, 2019

Cord cutting accelerated to record speed in the second quarter, with the major U.S. pay TV operators reporting an all-time-worst loss of 1.53 million subscribers during the period.

How bad was it? Real bad.

The tally comes from Leichtman Research. It measured the top 14 platforms, which it says service 93% of U.S. pay TV subscribers. Notable is Leitchman’s estimate of 778,000 lost DirecTV subscribers for the second quarter. DirecTV had more than 21 million subscribers when AT&T purchased it. And when combined with U-verse, the company controlled 26 million TV users, making it the largest U.S. pay TV company. But the massive one-quarter erosion dropped the satellite operator below 18 million subscribers. As of the end of Q2, AT&T had about 36,000 fewer customers than Comcast, according to Leichtman.

But things were tough all over. Every major linear pay TV service lost subscribers in Q2. And the only platform measured by Leichtman to grow was Sling TV, which added 48,000 users during the quarter.

The industry lost only 420,000 users in the second quarter of 2018.

Satellite TV continued to sustain the heaviest losses, with DirecTV in the red for customer growth for a fifth consecutive quarter. Notably, however, for Dish Network, its reported loss of 78,000 users represented its best outcome since the fourth quarter of 2014.

Leichtman’s tally mainly includes numbers publicly reported in earnings reports. But there are a few interesting estimates and surprises. Privately held Cox Communications, it said, lost 40,000 TV users in the second quarter, the research company says. Leichtman also added numbers for Atlantic Broadband for the first time.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/pa...T=566447602761

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #12303 of 12311 Unread 08-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 40
That article continues to support the trend away from traditional paid TV. Thanks for sharing.

On a related, but different note. I've often wondered about statistics for OTA viewers. For example, I've used an attic antenna for a number of years. But no one would know this about my viewing habits unless I were asked, or shared this information with others. If I had to "guess" I might say the number of OTA households "could" actually be substantially greater than what Nielsen ratings suggest? I don't really know, but think it's an interesting question.

But I don't think there can be any denying the truth about the losses in traditional paid TV subscriptions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12304 of 12311 Unread 08-14-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
On a related, but different note. I've often wondered about statistics for OTA viewers. For example, I've used an attic antenna for a number of years. But no one would know this about my viewing habits unless I were asked, or shared this information with others. If I had to "guess" I might say the number of OTA households "could" actually be substantially greater than what Nielsen ratings suggest? I don't really know, but think it's an interesting question.

But I don't think there can be any denying the truth about the losses in traditional paid TV subscriptions.
I think you are right. There are more OTA than is reported, and is on the rise. I am seeing more people inquire about how to pick us up OTA.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #12305 of 12311 Unread 08-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When will all the Triad frequency changing be done? I was thinking that I’d wait until everyone was done before updating everything...
post #12306 of 12311 Unread 08-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post
When will all the Triad frequency changing be done? I was thinking that I’d wait until everyone was done before updating everything...
WXII, WUNL, and WMYV are in the so called Phase 5, which is scheduled for completion on 09/06/19. WGPX (ION) is also part of Phase 5, although I am not certain whether or not WGPX expects to complete their work on-time or not. WGPX is moving their transmitter/antenna from Rockingham County to Level Cross.

WGHP and WFMY are in Phase 9, scheduled for completion on 05/01/2020. WXLV (ABC) 45 is not changing frequencies.
post #12307 of 12311 Unread 08-21-2019, 07:43 AM

As I was passing the WMYV tower site yesterday, I saw WMYV's new channel 28 antenna on the truck waiting to go onto the site. If I hadn't been traveling at 65 MPH, I would have tried to take a picture of it.

post #12308 of 12311 Unread 08-21-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
As I was passing the WMYV tower site yesterday, I saw WMYV's new channel 28 antenna on the truck waiting to go onto the site. If I hadn't been traveling at 65 MPH, I would have tried to take a picture of it.
That's good to know about WMYV. And hopefully Sinclair has a tower crew in place to get the newly delivered antenna installed by 09/06.

As far as I know, I think the physical work at WXII is about wrapped up. But I've been told WUNL will be running at full power on a side mounted antenna (after 09/06) until the main antenna is swapped out. WUNL will be at full power on the side mounted antenna, but they will have some short times of low power while the antenna crew is on the tower during the day. From what I am gathering most UNC-TV stations (if not all) in Phase 5 will not be fully transitioned on 09/06 with their new antennas. My only "guess" would be that it's due to a shortage of tower crews.

I haven't heard or read anything about WGPX.
post #12309 of 12311 Unread Yesterday, 08:17 AM

Quote:
That's good to know about WMYV. And hopefully Sinclair has a tower crew in place to get the newly delivered antenna installed by 09/06.

As far as I know, I think the physical work at WXII is about wrapped up. But I've been told WUNL will be running at full power on a side mounted antenna (after 09/06) until the main antenna is swapped out. WUNL will be at full power on the side mounted antenna, but they will have some short times of low power while the antenna crew is on the tower during the day. From what I am gathering most UNC-TV stations (if not all) in Phase 5 will not be fully transitioned on 09/06 with their new antennas. My only "guess" would be that it's due to a shortage of tower crews.
The antenna wouldn't be delivered without a tower crew. These things are 50 to 100 feet long and depending on if they are side mount or top mount and weigh anywhere from 2 to 16 tons. No operator is going to let his trailer sit there with a load like that indefinitely.

This is how the antennas are delivered. This is our old channel 8 top mount that was delivered in 2005 that will be removed to be replaced by our channel 31 for repack that has not arrived yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	476.5 KB
ID:	2605870  

post #12310 of 12311 Unread Yesterday, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
The antenna wouldn't be delivered without a tower crew. These things are 50 to 100 feet long and depending on if they are side mount or top mount and weigh anywhere from 2 to 16 tons. No operator is going to let his trailer sit there with a load like that indefinitely.

This is how the antennas are delivered. This is our old channel 8 top mount that was delivered in 2005 that will be removed to be replaced by our channel 31 for repack that has not arrived yet.
With the limited number of tower crews, I wasn't sure (whether or not) they sometimes off loaded the antennas to a secure area before confirmed dates for the physical work. Good to know they basically get on it right away.

Thanks for sharing the old Channel 8 top mount. It's quite the sight
post #12311 of 12311 Unread Today, 07:11 AM

Quote:
With the limited number of tower crews, I wasn't sure (whether or not) they sometimes off loaded the antennas to a secure area before confirmed dates for the physical work. Good to know they basically get on it right away.
They usually don't ship until it is time to put them up because it takes specialized heavy equipment to move them around. That's not to say that it doesn't happen. It's just not the norm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception