Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 413 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 148Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12361 of 12481 Old 09-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Member
 
squirrel 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fries Virginia
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bowtie antennas are awesome too there is such a thing as over powered antenna but it's easy to fix. I think the name for it is a attenuater not sure it's just 2 Male RF connections with a knob they work really good. I have that problem sometimes with Roanoke reception but never with North Carolina stations. Not sure about the name of the device I was talking about but I think that's it.
squirrel 24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12362 of 12481 Old 09-15-2019, 11:58 AM
Member
 
squirrel 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fries Virginia
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Of course I am on top of a mountain
squirrel 24 is offline  
post #12363 of 12481 Old 09-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Member
 
squirrel 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fries Virginia
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I meant to say a antenna craft MXU 59 earlier they are awesome antennas
squirrel 24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12364 of 12481 Old 09-15-2019, 04:37 PM
Member
 
squirrel 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fries Virginia
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A Antenna craft MXU 59 wish they still made them and for about 30 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_182315_1568586729445.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2615810  
jspENC, CW Hall and evan237 like this.
squirrel 24 is offline  
post #12365 of 12481 Old 09-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel 24 View Post
Of course I am on top of a mountain
Being in Fries, VA, you are fortunate (for reception reasons) to be on top of that mountain. At your distance from the Greensboro stations, it obviously makes a huge difference. For those down in the valley in your general area, my guess is no reception on the Greensboro stations.
evan237 is offline  
post #12366 of 12481 Old 09-15-2019, 06:26 PM
Member
 
squirrel 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fries Virginia
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Even at lower elevations it helps if your antenna is about at least 30 feet off the ground curvature of the earth plays into that some.
squirrel 24 is offline  
post #12367 of 12481 Old 09-16-2019, 07:38 PM
Member
 
JayCeeNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ordered an Antennas Direct DB4e today, I'll see if it solves my WXII reception.
JayCeeNC is offline  
post #12368 of 12481 Old 09-17-2019, 03:30 AM
Member
 
squirrel 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fries Virginia
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I put one in for my brother there a awesome antenna pick up every thing broad like 180 degrees. Up where I am I use a preamp you can get from Lowe's and a distribution amp also from Lowe's might help you especially with the pixelation.
squirrel 24 is offline  
post #12369 of 12481 Old 09-17-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Eastern NC, Onslow Co. Jacksonville
Posts: 4,851
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeNC View Post
Ordered an Antennas Direct DB4e today, I'll see if it solves my WXII reception.

This antenna is supposed to be optimized for the new lower UHF frequencies, so I suspect it will work out. There are Utube videos where those who have tried the DB8e find that the DB4e is better also if interested in those kind of tests.
jspENC is offline  
post #12370 of 12481 Old 09-17-2019, 07:38 AM
Member
 
JayCeeNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
This antenna is supposed to be optimized for the new lower UHF frequencies, so I suspect it will work out. There are Utube videos where those who have tried the DB8e find that the DB4e is better also if interested in those kind of tests.
Thanks.
I had a DB4e mounted on an outside mast a few years back, but lost it in a storm. This one will be attic mounted. We'll see.
JayCeeNC is offline  
post #12371 of 12481 Old 09-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
This antenna is supposed to be optimized for the new lower UHF frequencies, so I suspect it will work out. There are Utube videos where those who have tried the DB8e find that the DB4e is better also if interested in those kind of tests.
It's easy to fall into the mindset that bigger is always better! Sometimes bigger is better, but not always. For example, although I've never used the DB4, I used to get better reception out of my Clearstream 4v (with the back reflector) versus Antenna's Direct DB8e (even when both panels on that DB8e were pointed in the same direction).

I think the DB4e is a good choice here to try out. And I hope it resolves the reception issues on WXII from his location in Greensboro.
JayCeeNC likes this.
evan237 is offline  
post #12372 of 12481 Old 09-17-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Repack begins for us. It's the removal of the old DTV transmitter to make room for new antenna equipment for channel 31.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190917_160014.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	714.1 KB
ID:	2616908  
Retspin, evan237, JayCeeNC and 1 others like this.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
foxeng is offline  
post #12373 of 12481 Old 09-17-2019, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Repack begins for us. It's the removal of the old DTV transmitter to make room for new antenna equipment for channel 31.
Maybe not fun for you (more work). But I guess that means you guys are on it! And hopefully you will be able to make "full" transition with your new antenna on whatever date is determined to be your repack date next Spring
evan237 is offline  
post #12374 of 12481 Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,824
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Repack begins for us. It's the removal of the old DTV transmitter to make room for new antenna equipment for channel 31.
Who decides what type of replacement antenna each station will use? I see many stations use Dielectric whereas a few others such as WJZY use ERI. Just wondering.
tylerSC is offline  
post #12375 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
Maybe not fun for you (more work). But I guess that means you guys are on it! And hopefully you will be able to make "full" transition with your new antenna on whatever date is determined to be your repack date next Spring
There will be a short time when we are at 50% power as we leave 35 and enter 31 since we are going to use one half of the transmitter on air at a time as we make the change. If you get us 50% now, you will then. We hope that we will not be at 50% but for a week or two at the most on both channels.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
foxeng is offline  
post #12376 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Who decides what type of replacement antenna each station will use? I see many stations use Dielectric whereas a few others such as WJZY use ERI. Just wondering.
The station determines what equipment it needs. At this point it is who can deliver on time, Dielectric or ERI. We currently have Dielectic and elected to stay with Dielectric. We have already taken delivery of one backup antenna now, and the other is in the process of being shipped. No date on the main yet. Filters and other equipment will be coming in over the next few months. It's a dribble/drabble due to how the manufacturers are working.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
foxeng is offline  
post #12377 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The old transmitter is now gone. Space getting ready for the repack gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_152515.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	903.0 KB
ID:	2617304  
johnny antenna likes this.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
foxeng is offline  
post #12378 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Pete-N2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Was that a VHF or UHF transmitter?
Pete-N2 is offline  
post #12379 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
Was that a VHF or UHF transmitter?
UHF. It was the channel 35 we went on the air with in 2006 when we went to full digital power. It was replaced in 2016 with a solid state transmitter that is frequency agile.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
foxeng is offline  
post #12380 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Pete-N2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 61
So you don't have to buy a new transmitter and you also miss out on the new ATSC 3.0 stuff...
Pete-N2 is offline  
post #12381 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
So you don't have to buy a new transmitter and you also miss out on the new ATSC 3.0 stuff...
FCC won't pay for ATSC3.0. Just what gets replaced. The solid state will do ATSC3.0 Just need a software update in the exciters.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
foxeng is offline  
post #12382 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
FCC won't pay for ATSC3.0. Just what gets replaced. The solid state will do ATSC3.0 Just need a software update in the exciters.
Seems kind of ironic that WXLV ABC 45 wasn't selected for repack, but they are owned by Sinclair who appears to be a big national advocate for ATSC 3.0. Maybe whenever things get moving on ATSC 3.0 (in the future), Sinclair will just use the new equipment they now have for WMYV my48 to broadcast their ABC programming since they own both WXLV and WMYV. As you've said, with new equipment for repack, it's just a software update in order to do ATSC 3.0. Of course, ATSC 3.0 is still a ways off; and any number of things could happen between now and then with Sinclair and these two stations.
evan237 is offline  
post #12383 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
Seems kind of ironic that WXLV ABC 45 wasn't selected for repack, but they are owned by Sinclair who appears to be a big national advocate for ATSC 3.0. Maybe whenever things get moving on ATSC 3.0 (in the future), Sinclair will just use the new equipment they now have for WMYV my48 to broadcast their ABC programming since they own both WXLV and WMYV. As you've said, with new equipment for repack, it's just a software update in order to do ATSC 3.0. Of course, ATSC 3.0 is still a ways off; and any number of things could happen between now and then with Sinclair and these two stations.

The FCC used computer software for the repack. It was totally by the luck of the draw and how coverage laid out for the reduced channels.



Sinclair is very big on ATSC3 so I would think they will convert all their stations or be involved with local stations in the markets they are in to move ATSC3 along. ATSC3 is the future and just about all broadcasters want to move in that direction. I would imagine that within 5 years, most stations will be ATSC3. What has slowed it down at the moment is the repack. Stations are too busy with the repack to worry about ATSC3. As we are now in Phase 6, many stations that have already repack will start to look at the future and ATSC3.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
foxeng is offline  
post #12384 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Retspin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
UHF. It was the channel 35 we went on the air with in 2006 when we went to full digital power. It was replaced in 2016 with a solid state transmitter that is frequency agile.


Did you keep the old one as a backup when the new transmitter went online?
Retspin is offline  
post #12385 of 12481 Old 09-18-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post
Did you keep the old one as a backup when the new transmitter went online?

No. There is no need because of the multi redundancy built into solid state transmitters that were not available in the tube transmitters.



We knew that the new transmitter would change channels some time due to repack, and because the FCC was buying everyone new transmitters, there has been no resale value of the tube transmitters because the new solid state transmitters were made to be frequency agile where the tube transmitters are really not economically viable for large channel changes.
Retspin and evan237 like this.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
foxeng is offline  
post #12386 of 12481 Old 09-20-2019, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
The FCC used computer software for the repack. It was totally by the luck of the draw and how coverage laid out for the reduced channels.


Sinclair is very big on ATSC3 so I would think they will convert all their stations or be involved with local stations in the markets they are in to move ATSC3 along. ATSC3 is the future and just about all broadcasters want to move in that direction. I would imagine that within 5 years, most stations will be ATSC3. What has slowed it down at the moment is the repack. Stations are too busy with the repack to worry about ATSC3. As we are now in Phase 6, many stations that have already repack will start to look at the future and ATSC3.
Since Sinclair is on board with ATSC3, my "guess" would be that they were not happy about being left out of the repack as it relates to WXLV. As you say, they could convert the equipment themselves (in the future). However, if they had been required to repack, they would have gotten federal $$. Not getting those federal dollars becomes a future expense for Sinclair. But, assuming Sinclair retains ownership of WXLV and WMYV, I suppose they could air a future ATSC3 signal of ABC programming on WMYV.

ATSC3 has pros and cons. And while I don't think a lot of people necessarily like the idea of any tracked advertising (like we see on our computers). But, in my view, I think it's still a good decision for the future of television. Hopefully (assuming everyone gets on board with it in 5 plus years), it will help STOP another lobbying effort to repack the channels again. I honestly don't see how TV broadcasting can sustain itself if another repack is required in 10 years; and I don't want to think about that happening
evan237 is offline  
post #12387 of 12481 Old 09-20-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,824
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
Since Sinclair is on board with ATSC3, my "guess" would be that they were not happy about being left out of the repack as it relates to WXLV. As you say, they could convert the equipment themselves (in the future). However, if they had been required to repack, they would have gotten federal $$. Not getting those federal dollars becomes a future expense for Sinclair. But, assuming Sinclair retains ownership of WXLV and WMYV, I suppose they could air a future ATSC3 signal of ABC programming on WMYV.

ATSC3 has pros and cons. And while I don't think a lot of people necessarily like the idea of any tracked advertising (like we see on our computers). But, in my view, I think it's still a good decision for the future of television. Hopefully (assuming everyone gets on board with it in 5 plus years), it will help STOP another lobbying effort to repack the channels again. I honestly don't see how TV broadcasting can sustain itself if another repack is required in 10 years; and I don't want to think about that happening
Sinclair owned 13-WLOS from Asheville also did not change channels with the repack. But they did move their sister station My40-WMYA. Wish they would simulcast 13 on one of the WMYA subchannels as they have problematic reception in Upstate SC, and WSOC from Charlotte also drops off around Spartanburg. So there is a gap for strong ABC reception in the western fringes. But we get double strong signals from CBS, NBC, and FOX for both GSP and Charlotte markets. WBTV/WSPA, WYFF/WCNC, and WHNS/WJZY.
tylerSC is offline  
post #12388 of 12481 Old 09-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Sinclair owned 13-WLOS from Asheville also did not change channels with the repack. But they did move their sister station My40-WMYA. Wish they would simulcast 13 on one of the WMYA subchannels as they have problematic reception in Upstate SC, and WSOC from Charlotte also drops off around Spartanburg. So there is a gap for strong ABC reception in the western fringes. But we get double strong signals from CBS, NBC, and FOX for both GSP and Charlotte markets. WBTV/WSPA, WYFF/WCNC, and WHNS/WJZY.
Yes, it's surprising (going back many years) that viewers did not push for better ABC coverage in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. As you say (and considering the circumstances), it would appear very reasonable for sister station WMYA to simulcast WLOS 13 from Asheville on one of WMYA's sub channels to get ABC coverage into the upstate of SC more effectively. Although not a "simulcast" our local WXII broadcasts programming (in HD) for our CW affiliate, in addition to WXII's own NBC programming. As you know, having two HD channels on the same RF does not cause any problems provided the number of additional sub channels does not become excessive.

I always thought placing Asheville in the same market as Greenville/Spartanburg seemed a bit strange, considering the geography and distance between the two regions. That said, Asheville had to go somewhere; and I suppose not large enough to be called it's own television market. Here in the Triad, it seems it was always a natural fit to have GSO/H-P/W-S as one television market as these cities are much closer together geographically and have more of a natural fit.
evan237 is offline  
post #12389 of 12481 Old 09-21-2019, 02:39 PM
Member
 
JayCeeNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Success!! So far, at least.
Installed the DB4e bowtie antenna, now my SNR reading for WXII/WCWG on my Samsung TV diagnosis screen is @23.5, versus 13-14 with the Yagi, reception clear as a bell.
I'll check signal strength periodically and see how it holds up at different times of the day.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
jspENC likes this.

Last edited by JayCeeNC; 09-21-2019 at 04:22 PM.
JayCeeNC is offline  
post #12390 of 12481 Old 09-21-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,824
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
Yes, it's surprising (going back many years) that viewers did not push for better ABC coverage in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. As you say (and considering the circumstances), it would appear very reasonable for sister station WMYA to simulcast WLOS 13 from Asheville on one of WMYA's sub channels to get ABC coverage into the upstate of SC more effectively. Although not a "simulcast" our local WXII broadcasts programming (in HD) for our CW affiliate, in addition to WXII's own NBC programming. As you know, having two HD channels on the same RF does not cause any problems provided the number of additional sub channels does not become excessive.

I always thought placing Asheville in the same market as Greenville/Spartanburg seemed a bit strange, considering the geography and distance between the two regions. That said, Asheville had to go somewhere; and I suppose not large enough to be called it's own television market. Here in the Triad, it seems it was always a natural fit to have GSO/H-P/W-S as one television market as these cities are much closer together geographically and have more of a natural fit.
Yes Asheville is basically its own separate market, apart from Upstate SC. WLOS basically ignores Upstate SC news coverage, and focuses on the Western NC mountain region west of Morganton. Both Charlotte stations and WLOS will cover news from Burke County and McDowell County, as they seem to be overlapping regions. Morganton is officially Charlotte market, while Marion is AVL/GSP. Same as Rutherford County being AVL/GSP market, but Charlotte stations will also cover news there. The GSP stations WYFF, WSPA, and WHNS mainly cover Upstate SC.
tylerSC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off