Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 414 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 147Likes

post #12391 of 12477 Old 09-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is WMYV running full power and at the same height as they were before I picked them up 24/7 now just early in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12477 Old 09-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel 24 View Post
Is WMYV running full power and at the same height as they were before I picked them up 24/7 now just early in the morning.
WMYV took delivery of their new antenna several weeks ago. But I am not sure if they are running at full power (yet) or not. Looks like the temporary permit called for 375 kW of power versus 800 kW when the work is complete. As far as the height, it is 1886 feet (which looks almost identical to sister station WXLV). I actually noticed an increase in reception on WMYV after they moved to RF28. I hope it improves for you soon.
post #12393 of 12477 Old 09-21-2019, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes Asheville is basically its own separate market, apart from Upstate SC. WLOS basically ignores Upstate SC news coverage, and focuses on the Western NC mountain region west of Morganton. The GSP stations WYFF, WSPA, and WHNS mainly cover Upstate SC.
Although it's in one designated TV market, it seems logical that WLOS focuses on the Western NC mountain region whereas the GSP stations would mainly focus on upstate SC. And if I lived in the market, it's the way I would want to see the local news focused. But I would also be concerned about the lack of adequate ABC (OTA) coverage in the upstate of SC. Looking at the coverage map of WLOS, I can see how the rugged mountains of Western NC have a negative impact, and the fact that WLOS is on VHF probably doesn't help either. Hopefully you can work out coverage on WLOS or WSOC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12394 of 12477 Old 09-21-2019, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeNC View Post
Success!! So far, at least.
Installed the DB4e bowtie antenna, now my SNR reading for WXII/WCWG on my Samsung TV diagnosis screen is @23.5, versus 13-14 with the Yagi, reception clear as a bell.
I'll check signal strength periodically and see how it holds up at different times of the day.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
Good to hear the news so far about your DB4e bowtie antenna. 23.5 SNR versus 13-14 SNR for WXII sounds significantly better! Hope it continues to work out, and keep us posted
JayCeeNC likes this.
post #12395 of 12477 Old 09-22-2019, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Yes Asheville is basically its own separate market, apart from Upstate SC. WLOS basically ignores Upstate SC news coverage, and focuses on the Western NC mountain region west of Morganton. Both Charlotte stations and WLOS will cover news from Burke County and McDowell County, as they seem to be overlapping regions. Morganton is officially Charlotte market, while Marion is AVL/GSP. Same as Rutherford County being AVL/GSP market, but Charlotte stations will also cover news there. The GSP stations WYFF, WSPA, and WHNS mainly cover Upstate SC.
My own opinion is that WLOS has been a benefit to the GSP area over the years. The station was licensed back in a time that local TV was thought somewhat akin to local radio, before formal "markets" were created. WLOS was the only primary ABC affiliate on VHF in NC for many years and complimented the CBS and NBC VHF affiliates in 3 areas: W, NC over to Charlotte, the SC Uplands and the Tri-Cities. WSPA, WFBC and WLOS covered a similar area and WLOS became the default ABC affiliate, even though its primary responsibility was to W NC. Viewers in GSP had a choice of three networks on VHF, something that didn't happen in Central and Eastern NC until years later and never happened in CLT or RDU.
I have an idea that if there were an economic advantage to a simulcast on WMYA (as happened 25 years ago), it would happen.
post #12396 of 12477 Old 09-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
I have an idea that if there were an economic advantage to a simulcast on WMYA (as happened 25 years ago), it would happen.
It looks like WLOS has had a number of translators to help OTA coverage in the GSP market. Of course, not being in the viewing market, I would have no idea how effective any of them have been (or will be) post repack.

Here in the Triad market, we don't have any translators. Though I can think of various examples where they could be used. For example, if you live in parts of Wilkes, Surry, and Alleghany Counties - try your luck at getting the GSO stations OTA. Or areas like parts of Montgomery County trying to receive WXII/WCWG OTA Short of having your own outside tower, OTA viewers in those areas might experience a lot of difficulty with reception.

The market system will always fail. Though here in the Triad, I think we have it better than some, especially given the fact that we don't have any VHF stations.
post #12397 of 12477 Old 09-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
It looks like WLOS has had a number of translators to help OTA coverage in the GSP market. Of course, not being in the viewing market, I would have no idea how effective any of them have been (or will be) post repack.

Here in the Triad market, we don't have any translators. Though I can think of various examples where they could be used. For example, if you live in parts of Wilkes, Surry, and Alleghany Counties - try your luck at getting the GSO stations OTA. Or areas like parts of Montgomery County trying to receive WXII/WCWG OTA Short of having your own outside tower, OTA viewers in those areas might experience a lot of difficulty with reception.

The market system will always fail. Though here in the Triad, I think we have it better than some, especially given the fact that we don't have any VHF stations.
Yep, I'd say the Triad has been luckier than some.Of course there was a VHF issue after transition to digital here. WGHP remained on channel 8 for a few days after the transition, as its assigned channel. That did not work so well, as several stations on VHF discovered. Fortunately, there was no major issue with WGHP firing up on channel 35 also, its pre-transition channel. Eventually the FCC was kind enough to allow WGHP to shut down on 8 and keep 35.
I had only a little trouble with channel 8. Once, for a few hours, a large metal bodied truck parked about a 100 yards from my antenna.. So long as it was there, no channel 8. I'm reasonably sure the truck was creating a multi-path condition; I think there were many who had this as a chronic condition so it was well that channel 35 was available.
post #12398 of 12477 Old 09-22-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Some of the WLOS translators are difficult to receive. When WSOC had their translator on UHF from Crowder's Mtn, they had a good signal. I am concerned when they move to low power VHF it will be problematic. We shall see.

But it should be noted that WLOS has the tallest tower east of the Mississippi, so it is their directional pattern that causes problems in Upstate SC. But their signal is there, it just takes some work to receive it. Sometimes basic rabbit ears are inadequate, and folks don't realize that a UHF flat panel may not receive VHF. And while an amplifier may be needed, too much gain will be detrimental for WLOS, so it is a proper balancing act that requires a bit more time and effort than some of the other channels. But folks are frustrated if they can't just go to Walmart and throw up a cheap indoor antenna and expect to get WLOS. But they can get WBTV from Charlotte more easily and they just don't understand.

As for Wilkes County, even though it is part of the Greensboro DMA, many folks there also view the Charlotte stations, especially WBTV. And apparently some of the Charlotte stations can also be received in parts of Surry County and Mt. Airy. And interestingly, WCNC had a translator in Biscoe serving Montgomery County, which I believe is also Greensboro market. And they may still have a translator for Anson County which makes more sense as a Charlotte market area.
post #12399 of 12477 Old 09-22-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeNC View Post
Success!! So far, at least.
Installed the DB4e bowtie antenna, now my SNR reading for WXII/WCWG on my Samsung TV diagnosis screen is @23.5, versus 13-14 with the Yagi, reception clear as a bell.
I'll check signal strength periodically and see how it holds up at different times of the day.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Excellent! That antenna is bad to the bone.
post #12400 of 12477 Old 09-22-2019, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Checked signal strength during the day for WXII, it's remaining constant at 23.5--25.0.
I'm happy with the new antenna.
evan237 likes this.
post #12401 of 12477 Old 09-23-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 144
If you hear of anyone loosing stations that haven't repacked yet, or won't be, after a rescan, we have found that some TVs and some converters, (yeah, they there are still a fair number out there) do not clear the database completely. Have them do a double rescan where they pull the antenna, rescan to clear out the database then reconnect the antenna and do a scan again. So far, every time we have had this done, the missing station has come back.
evan237 and JayCeeNC like this.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #12402 of 12477 Old 09-23-2019, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
If you hear of anyone loosing stations that haven't repacked yet, or won't be, after a rescan, we have found that some TVs and some converters, (yeah, they there are still a fair number out there) do not clear the database completely. Have them do a double rescan where they pull the antenna, rescan to clear out the database then reconnect the antenna and do a scan again. So far, every time we have had this done, the missing station has come back.
That's good advice. I've wondered why tuners, such as TiVo, hold onto the junk RF channels when they should be cleared out. But, as you say, a double rescan (with the antenna connection pulled on the first scan) should do the trick. I'll have to try that next time to clear the mess.
post #12403 of 12477 Old 09-24-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
... do a double rescan where they pull the antenna, rescan to clear out the database then reconnect the antenna and do a scan again. So far, every time we have had this done, the missing station has come back.
Great suggestion.
I didn't lose any non-repack channels, but just did this anyway as a housekeeping measure so I know that going forward I'm using an up-to-date database.
post #12404 of 12477 Old 09-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep, I'd say the Triad has been luckier than some.Of course there was a VHF issue after transition to digital here. WGHP remained on channel 8 for a few days after the transition, as its assigned channel. That did not work so well, as several stations on VHF discovered. Fortunately, there was no major issue with WGHP firing up on channel 35 also, its pre-transition channel. Eventually the FCC was kind enough to allow WGHP to shut down on 8 and keep 35.
Yes, it's a good thing that WGHP realized (quickly) that it was a mistake to stay on RF8 after the transition 10 years ago. With this latest transition, I doubt many VHF stations (nationwide) had (or will have) the opportunity to switch from VHF to UHF, especially now that all channels above 36 have been removed from television as a result of the auction.
post #12405 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 01:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it's a good thing that WGHP realized (quickly) that it was a mistake to stay on RF8 after the transition 10 years ago. With this latest transition, I doubt many VHF stations (nationwide) had (or will have) the opportunity to switch from VHF to UHF, especially now that all channels above 36 have been removed from television as a result of the auction.
Some digital VHF reception has been problematic due to noise and interference. And using an amplifier has to be balanced and precise so you don't overload the signal or add too much noise to the system. And many full power VHF stations had to increase power after the first digital transition. But not sure why WGHP remained problematic, but it was good they were allowed to return to UHF. But here in Upstate SC, WSPA has a good strong signal on RF7, although they will move to RF11 next year. But 13-WLOS remains a bit problematic due to their directional pattern, but it can nevertheless be received with some proper strategic work. But WSPA is easy to receive, even with a UHF antenna.
post #12406 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
WFMY (Channel-2) is still on physical channel 51

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #12407 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Some digital VHF reception has been problematic due to noise and interference. And using an amplifier has to be balanced and precise so you don't overload the signal or add too much noise to the system. And many full power VHF stations had to increase power after the first digital transition. But not sure why WGHP remained problematic, but it was good they were allowed to return to UHF. But here in Upstate SC, WSPA has a good strong signal on RF7, although they will move to RF11 next year. But 13-WLOS remains a bit problematic due to their directional pattern, but it can nevertheless be received with some proper strategic work. But WSPA is easy to receive, even with a UHF antenna.
WTVI (Channel-42) in Charlotte has been on physical channel 11 for years and has never been a problem for anyone. The biggest area is the VHF-Low channels 2-4 and should not be used IMO to close to the actual electrical harmonic of 60hz and what would be waves on analog pictures is macro blocking in the digital conversion.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #12408 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
WFMY (Channel-2) is still on physical channel 51
Only until Phase 9.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #12409 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
But not sure why WGHP remained problematic, but it was good they were allowed to return to UHF.
Like most of the post transition VHF channels, the FCC allocated too little power. They tightened up the interference standards to the point, that we lost 50% power between the first allocation and what the FCC finally allowed us to have. I personally did an apples to apples coverage area comparison between channel 8 digital and channel 35 digital. To replicate the same rf level at 3 meters (15 ft) the standard the FCC uses for TV and FM reception, channel 8 would have needed at least a 6 to 10 db ERP power increase to replicate channel 35. The signal level was a consistent 10 db lower on channel 8 than 35. To put that into perspective, Our 11 kw ERP allowed would need to be at least 80 kw to 100 kw ERP. The best we could hope the FCC would give us was 40 kw ERP. It made it quite simple at that point to drop channel 8. WTVD on channel 11 started out at 15 kw. I think they are up to 45(?) kw now?

Those stations on VHF now, (including low band) when ATSC3 comes on line, WILL have the "beachfront property" ATSC1 was promising. Tests bare that out. ATSC3 is SO much more robust than ATSC1 could ever be.
evan237 and johnny antenna like this.

Last edited by foxeng; 09-26-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #12410 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I find VHF reception better than UHF when the right antenna is used. I have 2 VHF stations in the 30 - 35kW range, and they are just as strong or stronger than UHF channels on the same tower. People using the wrong antennas for the wrong band, or an antenna pointing the wrong way will see nothing, so people may have had their VHF pointing at WXII and UNC on the mountain, and when they scanned to pick up digital TV, they could not pick up WGHP because they were not aimed at it since analog was forgiving and would still give them a picture (just one example). The power being too low was just one reason some lost reception.
post #12411 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Like most of the post transition VHF channels, the FCC allocated too little power. They tightened up the interference standards to the point, that we lost 50% power between the first allocation and what the FCC finally allowed us to have. I personally did an apples to apples coverage area comparison between channel 8 digital and channel 35 digital. To replicate the same rf level at 3 meters (15 ft) the standard the FCC uses for TV and FM reception, channel 8 would have needed at least a 6 to 10 db ERP power increase to replicate channel 35. The signal level was a consistent 10 db lower on channel 8 than 35. To put that into perspective, Our 11 kw ERP allowed would need to be at least 80 kw to 100 kw ERP. The best we could hope the FCC would give us was 40 kw ERP. It made it quite simple at that point to drop channel 8. WTVD on channel 11 started out at 15 kw. I think they are up to 45(?) kw now?

Those stations on VHF now, (including low band) when ATSC3 comes on line, WILL have the "beachfront property" ATSC1 was promising. Tests bare that out. ATSC3 is SO much more robust than ATSC1 could ever be.
That 10 db loss on channel 8 versus 35 sounds very significant. But I am guessing the FCC would not allow comparable coverage on channel 8 versus channel 35 due to concerns about interference (being a bigger factor on VHF versus UHF). Whatever the case, I am just glad WGHP was allowed to switch back to UHF (10 year ago) before the window of opportunity was most likely closed.

Funny, VHF channels used to be the king of television channels during analog days....before being viewed by many as the "step child" of radio frequencies in the digital world. As for VHF retaking it's position as "beachfront property" after ATSC3.....do you mean that will be the case simply because there will be no other available frequencies for stations to test ATSC3? Or with ATSC3 being more robust (by it's own nature) that it will overcome the shortcomings of VHF in digital?
post #12412 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
I find VHF reception better than UHF when the right antenna is used. I have 2 VHF stations in the 30 - 35kW range, and they are just as strong or stronger than UHF channels on the same tower. People using the wrong antennas for the wrong band, or an antenna pointing the wrong way will see nothing, so people may have had their VHF pointing at WXII and UNC on the mountain, and when they scanned to pick up digital TV, they could not pick up WGHP because they were not aimed at it since analog was forgiving and would still give them a picture (just one example). The power being too low was just one reason some lost reception.
I don't have access to any VHF channels, but I suppose the biggest problem with VHF channels has been the insufficient power levels granted......at least in some cases..... due to VHF interference concerns or otherwise. WTVD (ABC) Durham seems to be an example of this scenario where they had to go back to the FCC and request more power. Lucky for them, they were granted an increase. Although myself being out of range for the Raleigh/Durham stations, I don't know how much of a difference it has made.
post #12413 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But 13-WLOS remains a bit problematic due to their directional pattern, but it can nevertheless be received with some proper strategic work. But WSPA is easy to receive, even with a UHF antenna.
When I looked at WLOS Asheville on Rabbitears, it "seems" to be hindered a lot by very rough, mountainous terrain. That said, other stations in the mountains, such as WUNE (PBS) from Linville "seem" to have a more impressive range. I don't normally point my antenna "west", but if/when I do so.....I can get WUNE-TV with a rock solid signal 24/7.
post #12414 of 12477 Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have access to any VHF channels, but I suppose the biggest problem with VHF channels has been the insufficient power levels granted......at least in some cases..... due to VHF interference concerns or otherwise. WTVD (ABC) Durham seems to be an example of this scenario where they had to go back to the FCC and request more power. Lucky for them, they were granted an increase. Although myself being out of range for the Raleigh/Durham stations, I don't know how much of a difference it has made.

WTVD went from about 20kW to 45 I think. They had a horizontally polarized antenna and thought it still wasn't working well enough, so they switched to circularly polarized. This kind of polarization works better for rabbit ear users. A poster in the Greenville thread said he had to turn his VHF antenna sideways to get channel 11 in the city of Greenville.
post #12415 of 12477 Old 09-27-2019, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I looked at WLOS Asheville on Rabbitears, it "seems" to be hindered a lot by very rough, mountainous terrain. That said, other stations in the mountains, such as WUNE (PBS) from Linville "seem" to have a more impressive range. I don't normally point my antenna "west", but if/when I do so.....I can get WUNE-TV with a rock solid signal 24/7.
WUNE has the advantage of high altitude in the mountains. And I don't know if they are full power yet. 13-WLOS also has the tremendous height advantage, but the VHF signal has a directional pattern which creates nulls in parts of Upstate SC. Plus the VHF is more subject to noise and interference than the UHF. If they were omnidirectional, they would have a better signal more similar to WSPA on RF7. But I believe they may have to protect WBTW also on RF13 in Florence, SC.
post #12416 of 12477 Old 09-29-2019, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would think you could receive WTVI on channel 11 with a proper antenna. but, I doubt it would be worth any great effort. I'm east of you and a little south. and I get a stable signal on 11. I have an amp between the antenna and receiver, useful as I have no strong signals of any variety near me.I have 4 stacked bowties, larger than most, which work ok on high band VHF.
The real issue is whether there is any need to receive a VHF station. Reception is actually pretty good once one gets away from tall structures and such. As you say, the Triad is lucky not to have the issue.
post #12417 of 12477 Old 09-29-2019, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would think you could receive WTVI on channel 11 with a proper antenna. but, I doubt it would be worth any great effort. I'm east of you and a little south. and I get a stable signal on 11. I have an amp between the antenna and receiver, useful as I have no strong signals of any variety near me.I have 4 stacked bowties, larger than most, which work ok on high band VHF.
The real issue is whether there is any need to receive a VHF station. Reception is actually pretty good once one gets away from tall structures and such. As you say, the Triad is lucky not to have the issue.
I've seen WTVI at night before on channel 11. But their signal is weak; and there's no way I can receive it at my location (on a consistent basis) in Davie County without a dedicated VHF antenna. But since just about all other channels (that I am capable of receiving) are on UHF, there's little incentive for me to try to get WTVI. And I think WTVI is very similar to the other UNC-TV stations anyway. As far as I know, WTVI just airs shows on a different schedule versus UNC-TV stations.
post #12418 of 12477 Old 10-02-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I've seen WTVI at night before on channel 11. But their signal is weak; and there's no way I can receive it at my location (on a consistent basis) in Davie County without a dedicated VHF antenna. But since just about all other channels (that I am capable of receiving) are on UHF, there's little incentive for me to try to get WTVI. And I think WTVI is very similar to the other UNC-TV stations anyway. As far as I know, WTVI just airs shows on a different schedule versus UNC-TV stations.
WTVI is different than UNC-TV. They have NHK World which is not common as far as diginets go, it's only carried on 20 or so stations.

WTVI had a translator in Hickory, NC but it's off the air for the repack. I'm not sure if it will come back.
post #12419 of 12477 Old 10-02-2019, 10:17 AM

WTVI is owned by Charlotte/Mecklenburg Schools. They are not related to UNC TV at all other than they are a NCE TV station.

post #12420 of 12477 Old 10-02-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
foxeng

Media Center started pulling listings on 8.4 for DABL instead of Court TV the last two weeks.

At first I thought it was just confused with all of the re-scans I have been doing with the re-pack and testing newer antennas -- but ran across some more info that says the same thing. I also see other conflicts in the information, and am curious -- are 8.3 and 8.4 really being changed? Dropping THIS for Court TV, and bringing on DABL?

It has not been long since 8.4 Court TV was added and myself, personally, do not see any interesting on that channel. I would hate to see THIS replaced -- if the info is true... that channel has been bounced around like a hot rock since it started -- lol

I have seen DABL on out of market 18 WCCB -- and of course like other channels we do not have in the Triad -- it would be nice to see something new/different like this here.

Another channel I am pretty found of is out of market 46 WJZY's BUZZR -- and do not understand why no one will carry that one locally.

Just curious

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-02 155933 WGHP.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2622812  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version