Omaha / Lincoln, NE - HDTV - Page 102 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #3031 of 9967 Old 05-13-2005, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, KBIN-DT is rock solid over 90% signal strength, they must be pumping out some power, they're about 50 degrees off axis and coming in great, way to go channel 33 IPTV!

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 9967 Old 05-14-2005, 08:15 AM
mdg

Been out of town for a week, but my ShowtimeHD and HBOHD are giving me the message, that I must subscribe to the service. My regular Show and HBO come in fine. Any one else having problems???
post #3033 of 9967 Old 05-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally posted by mdg
Been out of town for a week, but my ShowtimeHD and HBOHD are giving me the message, that I must subscribe to the service. My regular Show and HBO come in fine. Any one else having problems???

Yes that happened to me last week. I had to call cox and they wanted to send a tech to my house and warned me they may have to charge me. Long story short I finally talked them into trying to send a reset to the box (since I knew it was not my in-house wiring) which of course worked. They told me they can send two different signals to the box - one they consider minor and one more major. The minor signal (might have been called an H signal?) cleared it up for me.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3034 of 9967 Old 05-14-2005, 07:29 PM

I hooked up a Channel Master preamp, which I got from Lowe's and now I can get KBIN-DT at a peak of 75. Now I just wish they would show Doctor Who in a least digital.
post #3035 of 9967 Old 05-15-2005, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

KBIN-DT appears to be playing different programming compared to channel 32. I'd imagine that once they've caught up and played thru all of their stock pile of HD programming that they may start to mirror programming from 32.

Although not a big country fan last nights concert on KBIN-DT looked and sounded pretty darned good.

I'll have to remind myself to check Thursday nights (10:30) channel 33 schedule for an upconverted Red Dwarf broadcast.

John

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
post #3036 of 9967 Old 05-15-2005, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnwcookjr
KBIN-DT appears to be playing different programming compared to channel 32. I'd imagine that once they've caught up and played thru all of their stock pile of HD programming that they may start to mirror programming from 32.

That's what they're doing in Waterloo-Cedar Rapids, Iowa as well. They're playing primarily PBS HD or widescreen programming with a few of their local HD productions mixed in. The schedule is not the same, and most IPTV analog programming doesn't seem to air on IPTV-DT unless there's an HD or widescreen version.

When they first went on the air late last summer, they had an upconverted version of their analog on a subchannel, but they stopped doing that because they had to swap out encoders. An engineer indicated to me last year that they may be going back to the old arrangement when they get new encoders.

Go to www.iptv.org -- they have a button you can click on for the IPTV digital lineup.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #3037 of 9967 Old 05-17-2005, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We will be conducting tests etc. on the DT transmitter over the next few days. We may be off and on the air at various times during the day.

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #3038 of 9967 Old 05-17-2005, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Gann
We will be conducting tests etc. on the DT transmitter over the next few days. We may be off and on the air at various times during the day.

I wondered why I couldn't find a signal just now...
Are the tests just during the day or also during all the new programming during primetime?
post #3039 of 9967 Old 05-17-2005, 07:15 PM

We hope to be all wraped up by tomorrow (wednesday) afternoon. We plan to start running all three cabinets on the air at that time at the 1,000 kW level.

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #3040 of 9967 Old 05-17-2005, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mike,

You're coming in steady at the moment, now if Letterman would just make the switch to hi-def!

John

Come visit The Pit
post #3041 of 9967 Old 05-18-2005, 06:26 PM

Quote:

We hope to be all wraped up by tomorrow (wednesday) afternoon. We plan to start running all three cabinets on the air at that time at the 1,000 kW level.

Is that full power? Right now I only have trouble when it is calm as the trees block it out (my guess). I was hoping the increased power would make it through the trees in the summer.
post #3042 of 9967 Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 AM

Anyone know when WOWT will be back up in HD? If they're up already, I am still having problems picking up their signal. Any ideas why?
post #3043 of 9967 Old 05-19-2005, 06:41 AM

About 3 pages back there is a note from WOWT regarding their HDTV move.

They moved the low power stuff downtown, to act as permanent backup.
Their new full power transmitter is to arrive June 1st. It will be hot off the display at the National Association of Broadcasters convention where they show off the latest and greatest gizmo's....and WOWT will have one!
Their antenna should arrive June 2nd. Give them 3-4 weeks, depending on weather, anf WOWT will finally join the other big players at full power!
It's possible that by this time next month, we could all be checking our OTA boxes every 30 seconds for a singal

Don't worry folks, you'll still have KPTM/KXVO to complain about for a few months

I went shopping for an HDTV and all I got was a Samsung!
post #3044 of 9967 Old 05-19-2005, 01:08 PM

We have applied to the FCC to grant us permission to run full power (1,000 kW). This sould be granted in the next couple of weeks. Until then we will run all three cabinets at reduced power at the 700 kW ERP level in compliance with our current STA.

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #3045 of 9967 Old 05-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:

We have applied to the FCC to grant us permission to run full power (1,000 kW). This sould be granted in the next couple of weeks. Until then we will run all three cabinets at reduced power at the 700 kW ERP level in compliance with our current STA.

Great so there is hope for me

Thanks
post #3046 of 9967 Old 05-19-2005, 02:21 PM

Just a question to throw out there just to generate some local conversation. Which of the Omaha/Lincoln stations will start doing their news broadcasts in HD?

To me there is no compelling point for stations to request money for their carriage on systems unless they are producing their own HD content.

To me this would be something new that would make a station unique over the others. Would that change the landscape of the popular newscasts?

KPTM-Of course I don't see this one happening anytime soon. We all know the issues even with their OTA signal and how there doesn't seem to be a lot of money available to get that completed. So I guess how could they afford the HD equipment needed for a newscast?

KMTV-This could be the thing that could put them over the top and jump back into the race for higher ratings for their newscast and get new people to check them out again since I, for one, enjoy their newscast, I just don't like that I can't get their channel in HD. Unfortunately it probably wouldn't pan out as expected because the potential viewership would be down because of the viewers they are missing that have and are dedicated to Cox Cable. I still would be interested in the number of OTA HD viewers vs Cable HD viewers in the Omaha area.

WOWT-They have been losing ground in the ratings race somewhat as KETV has claimed victory the last period. An HD broadcast by WOWT could edge out KETV and possibly lure viewers back. Channel 6 has been strong and first in a lot of things in the past and with some down times as of late, this could be a big move. Seeing Malorie in HD would be worth it by itself.

KETV-They have been striving to win the ratings battle and an HD broadcast could put them over that hump.

I don't know much about the Lincoln area channels so I can't throw my opinion out there on that one.

I think this could be a viable thing to any station if they could start producing their own HD content. Promoting the heck out of it would get people to ask about HD more and more likely to want to view HD content.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
post #3047 of 9967 Old 05-19-2005, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
NPTV may be the first to claim the local HD prize. They have the capability right now and have been doing live HD productions.

My money would be on KETV to produce their local news in HD. KLKN (channel 8 Lincoln), I doubt will ever go on air with an HD signal. Low power DTV 480i is their game.
post #3048 of 9967 Old 05-19-2005, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't forsee them spending huge amounts of funds until a majority of their viewers can receive their HD efforts. I'd guess the total # of HD capable viewers in Omaha today is less than 5%. That number increases to or exceeds the %50 mark and things will change at a greatly accelerated pace. Why should the chicken cross the road when the road hasn't been built yet? I don't think implementing HD news cast at this early stage of the game would have any bottom line affect on the news cast ratings game. It takes mass market numbers to change ratings, HD viewers in Omaha aren't at this time a mass market.

Regards, John

Come visit The Pit
post #3049 of 9967 Old 05-19-2005, 04:51 PM

I think KOLN/KGIN broadcasts their news in HD, can't receive their signal though so I can't verify that...

Recorded Law & Order off of NBC last night. Either I messed something up or they are broadcasting Dolby 5.1 now!
A few audio dropouts, but I'm guessing that is because of the low signal strength. Can't wait until they are at full power!
Sounds good....
post #3050 of 9967 Old 05-19-2005, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
KOLN/KGIN is not doing their news in HD. They broadcast a 1080i signal, but the news isn't an HD production.
post #3051 of 9967 Old 05-20-2005, 05:58 AM

WOWT did start Dolby 5.1 this Wednesday. As many experienced when Mike at KMTV went Dolby, I think everyone should delete channel 6.1 and re-program their receiver. It seemed to fix many of the audio drop-out issues with KMTV.

Our Filter assembly is installed in the transmitter building, the heat exchangers are set, the transformers are arriving next week, the transmitter the first week in June. I think we may beat the July 1 deadline.

Jay
post #3052 of 9967 Old 05-20-2005, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
KUSA in Denver started doing there news in HD.

They also have NBCs National and local weather scan channel on there Digital sub channel.

They also have there Doplar radar in HD.

I guess it can all be done with the proper funding.
post #3053 of 9967 Old 05-20-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

...and a 3-4x larger customer base...

Come visit The Pit
post #3054 of 9967 Old 05-25-2005, 09:14 AM

Just heard today that KOLN/KGIN out of Lincoln will start broadcasting UPN on a new channel beggining Sept 1. Initial plans are for Time Warner only then OTA later.
post #3055 of 9967 Old 05-26-2005, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is NO UPN over the air option in Omaha as Cox cable owns the rights and its only on cable of course.

Would this new UPN channel maybe on the Lincoln KOLN tower so we might be able to pick it up in omaha?

Any details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblake View Post

Just heard today that KOLN/KGIN out of Lincoln will start broadcasting UPN on a new channel beggining Sept 1. Initial plans are for Time Warner only then OTA later.

post #3056 of 9967 Old 05-27-2005, 07:47 AM

RE: Audio dropouts

MRoot and others: I have been visiting with Dolby Labs on this issue. They did some research and suggested a few tweeks to help resolve the audio dropout issue with some Mits TV's and Dish Tivo receivers.

I implemented one of them Thursday and it resolved the Mits TV audio dropouts. The owneres of the two Mitz TV's with this issue didn't even have to delete and rescan.

MRoot please check us out again and see if it resolves your dropout issue. Try it first without a delete and rescan.

Thanks,

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #3057 of 9967 Old 05-27-2005, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 29
OMG!

The audio dropouts are GONE!!!

WOOHOO!

Please tell me what you found so I can pass it along to someone experiencing the same thing in Salt Lake, If I remember who it was.

This is incredible! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Mike

LG OLED65B7P
LG UP970
Yamaha RX-V483
Apple ATV
post #3058 of 9967 Old 05-27-2005, 06:10 PM

The CBS Dolby setup utilizes a Dolby 572 Dolby-E decoder to extract the stereo or network 5.1 audio. I also route our upconverted audio through this decoder which goes into PCM bypass when non Dolby-E audio is detected.

The 572 feeds either the two channel stereo or the six channel 5.1 to the Dolby 569 audio encoder. The 572 decoder is locked to house sync. The output of the 569 encoder is fed to the HD encoder which is also locked to house sync. The CBS setup states to set the reference source for the 569 to the input audio bitstream.

The fix:
I ran a separate DARS (digital audio reference signal) from our house sync generator (which is locked to the GPS satellites) to the 569, and set its reference to this external source. This forces the 569 Dolby audio encoder to be locked with the Tandberg HD encoder. This absolute lock of the two fixed the dropout issue.

In a nutshell, the CBS station has to run a stable external audio reference to the 569 encoder, deviating from the CBS suggested setup.

NBC does not utilize a separate decoder at all, their IRD supplies all of the audio channels. They only use the Dolby 569 and it is locked to an external reference. The ABC system utilizes a different Dolby decoder and their 569 feeds an audio frame sync. (at least this is what the Dolby site says, Warren help me out here).

This problem with the Mits and Dish Tivo receivers has been bugging me from the beginning and I was determined to get it resolved. Sorry It took so long. We have been quite busy at the station and I had to peck at it whenever I had some time.

Thanks for your patience.

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #3059 of 9967 Old 05-27-2005, 06:30 PM

On to a different topic:

CBS confirmed to me and my inquiry about an audio anomaly during the season finale of Num3rs two weeks ago and last Monday's CSI Miami. The programs did not have the correct metadata encoded into the Dolby-E stream. This resulted in the absence of Center channel audio. We had to switch to the old stereo satellite receiver.

CBS is looking into the matter and gave the affiliates an alternate setting on the Dolby encoders, if this happens again, especially tonight during Numb3rs.

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #3060 of 9967 Old 05-27-2005, 08:20 PM

Thanks for all your work on this. Do you have any hair left???

Whatever happened to "Red is positive-Black is Negative"? Things get so complicated!

I went shopping for an HDTV and all I got was a Samsung!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
help a n00b , multiple source , newbie , ota antenna to existing satellite wiring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page