Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 16049 Old 01-26-2003, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All I can say after watching the first half of the Superbowl in HD is WOW!!!

Even my wife thinks it looks good.

Thanks

David
post #123 of 16049 Old 01-29-2003, 04:54 PM

I know this has been asked in this thread before, but does anyone know if and when Time Warner will start carrying the HD feeds from WB and UPN? When I talked to TWC last fall, they told that they would carry them once they were available, but so far I've not seen them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 16049 Old 01-29-2003, 08:39 PM

Anybody heard any info about when TWC will be releasing the new versions of the STB from SA, like the 4200HD or the 8000HD PVR? I really would like to see how the added features stack up. I am mainly interested in the integrated docsis modem and the PVR capabilities.

I heard they were doing tests in the Orlando market? One TWC rep told me that they would be available 1st qtr '03, but we all know how that goes. Also, he didn't know which version they were going to offer, or if we would be able to choose which one we wanted.

Andrew D. Smith
President
DesignComp inc.
post #125 of 16049 Old 01-31-2003, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
NBA fans with TWC, Your going to LOVE THIS!!!

TNT and NBA Team to Offer NBA All-Star Game
and All-Star Saturday Night in High Definition

http://www.twc-nc.com/press_releases/1_31_03.html

Don't cry to many tears of joy.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
post #126 of 16049 Old 01-31-2003, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 7319
Andrew,

1st quarter '03 is a much better estimate than what I got when I asked a similar question last year at the State Fair TWC booth. I asked if/when the STB's would have firewire output to use with D-VHS recorders. I got the following reply several weeks later:

"You asked if the HDTV boxes that Time Warner Cable offers
have firewire input[sic] for digital video recorder capability. I found out that our boxes currently do not have that capability but we are hoping to
include that in the near future. We hope to introduce the Digital Video Recorders late next year."

Regards,

Mark

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #127 of 16049 Old 01-31-2003, 02:09 PM

A while back there was a discussion about when and how WB and UPN would broadcast HD in the Triangle OTA. Is there any update on this? If I remember correctly, these stations were easing into HDTV to make sure they got everything set up right. Thanks.

Carmine
post #128 of 16049 Old 02-03-2003, 07:07 AM

Hey guys. I've researched this on the Time Warner Cable (TWC) site and I think I have the monthly charge figured out, but I did not see anything on HDTV equipment costs.

It looks like I need to have Basic + Standard + Digital service which adds up to just under $60 a month. Ouch.

In addition, does anyone know if I have to spend any $$$ on the HDTV Cable receiver?

I currently use DISH for non HDTV content and a Zenith OTA tuner to receive local channels. I'm very pleased with both, but I figured I wanted to research the cable option before my 30 days expired for the OTA receiver.

At $58+ a month, I will probably stick with the OTA receiver.

Thanks in advance for your input!

David
post #129 of 16049 Old 02-03-2003, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey,

Was I the only one who was watching Kingpin last night or the only one who called in. WNCN showed HD for about one second and then went to SD apparently to superimpose their logo bug. They did not go back to HD until about 10:25. I called over there twice and the news guy told me he would tell the engineering staff who he said was "too busy working on the promo" (the news promo I guess) to do anything about it. The second time, a few minutes later, my wife called and the news guy who answered the phone said that the engineering staff told him it was not in HD. My wife called BS on that and explanied that the presented in HD logo was on at the beginnning and he said he would ask the engineer again. 30 seconds later, the miracle of pushing a button brought us HD again. Then with 10 mintutes to go they went back to SD so they could do the 11:00 news promo.

Way to serve the viewers WNCN.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman
post #130 of 16049 Old 02-04-2003, 05:51 AM

David-

In Raleigh, there is no additional charge for the HD box over whatever it costs for the standard digital box. I assume it would be the same in Cary.

As for total price, I am only paying about $45 a month for digital/HD + HBO. That may be somewhat discounted though since I also have Roadrunner. My total bill each month comes to $90.

I think the price is reasonable since I didn't have to buy any equiptment. It would be even better if TWC carried WB and UPN in HD along with ESPN-HD when it becomes available.

-Ady
post #131 of 16049 Old 02-04-2003, 11:44 AM

Thanks Andy!

Guess I'll have to give TWC a call and see what they say about the monthly total.

Thanks...David
post #132 of 16049 Old 02-06-2003, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just thought I would join this party. I've been off and on AVS since 98 back when I was a mod for HTF (when it had a cool community).

Anyway I have my trusty DTC-100 (great signal meter) and a new addition to the family; the Samsung SIR-160 (crap signal meter). Picking up the few DirecTV HD channels and pretty much all the Raliegh HD channels including of course WRAL for the last 4 years

I have a simple Rat Shack fixed antenna on the roof - VU120 pointed in the general direction of the antenna farm. Which seems to do the job for me here in Fuquay.

One note: I had used www.antennaweb.org for some time just using my Zip. But that can be very misleading, it told me back then that I needed Red zone antennas to receive Raleigh channels. You need to put your full address to get the most accurate results. Changed mine dramactically.

Anyway, here's a quick rundown of the channels I'm currently getting. Let me know if I'm missing anything good.

WRAL 5 - Strength 95
WTVD 11 - Strength 88
WNCN 17 - Strength 90
WLFL 22 - Strength 77
WRDC 28 - Strength 88
WRAZ 50 - Strength 94
WUNC 59 - Strength 30's

PBS is a pig to pick up, but I'm resigned to the fact that without a rotor I'm SOL.

Other than that I rely on a JVC D-Theater player for HD content. The only TWC I have currently is RoadRunner service. And I'm guessing that I would gain little from their Digital Cable service.

Cheers.

Jim long
post #133 of 16049 Old 02-06-2003, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jim,

It looks like you are getting everything pretty well. Maybe a point or 2 higher than I do, although being In Morrisville I can pick up WUNC OK.

Incedentally, I have corresponded with Operations Director at WNCN about the issues with them not flipping the switch and he said that there switching is handled out of Florida but he would have the people responsible look into it. They can temporarily override the system but it is apt to get switched back again. Who is WNCN owned by and why do they thnk it is a good idea to perform switching in FL?

post #134 of 16049 Old 02-06-2003, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WNCN is a Network O&O - NBC runs them. So is WTVD - ABC.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #135 of 16049 Old 02-06-2003, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

Originally posted by Lee L
Who is WNCN owned by and why do they thnk it is a good idea to perform switching in FL?

In this age of money saving, a lot of the larger groups have regional central hubs for switching many stations. NBC and Sinclair are big on this, but I think NBC is MUCH further along than Sinclair. LIN Broadcasting is another that pops to mind that has central switching hubs.

WNCN is owned by NBC.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #136 of 16049 Old 02-06-2003, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

On TWC out of Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville area(Im just few miles south of Fayetteville) I noticed yesterday evening that they finally added channel 722 listed as NBA HD to the program guide for the NBA Saturday & Sunday All-Star events. It's not airing anything yet though and probably won't untill Saturday.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #137 of 16049 Old 02-07-2003, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Was anyone experiencing constant breakup of the WRAL-DT OTA signal Thursday night? All the other OTA digital signals were coming in as usual. However, WRAL-DT was so bad I had to watch WRAL on DirecTV in order to see CSI.

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Steve
post #138 of 16049 Old 02-07-2003, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had one or two breakups with a couple seconds of lost sound but it did not interfere with veiwing too much.

post #139 of 16049 Old 02-07-2003, 07:35 AM

Same here in N. Raleigh, just minor breakups that were sporadic and only brief in length on WRAL-DT.

Andrew D. Smith
President
DesignComp inc.
post #140 of 16049 Old 02-07-2003, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is funny. Earlier(around 3pm) I checked channel 722 NBA HD on TWC and only got a black screen and a test signal on audio. Now(5:50pm) I just turned to channel 722 NBA HD on TWC Raleighs devision. I now have a HD video picture of the Atlanta All-Star gymnasium and looks like cheerleader on the floor practicing but still no audio. Just the test signal.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #141 of 16049 Old 02-07-2003, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looked again at 7:15pm and now a HD color bar test pattern is up. Calibrate eveyone. You got a true HD pattern to take advantage of.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #142 of 16049 Old 02-11-2003, 06:30 AM

What's up with WNCN-DT not showing the HD broadcast for the first 5-25 minutes of a show? Watching Sunday night, from 8:00PM until 11:PM, there were three HD shows in a row, American Dreams, Law and Order:CI, and then Kingpin. On every single show, the beginning was not switched over to HD.

I could see that maybe someone forgot to make the switch at 8:00, when American Dreams came on, but why at 9:00 and then again at 10:00, was there not any continuous HD broadcast.

Are they seriously switching on and off the HD signal? Why can't they just turn it on at 6:00 and then shut it off at midnight or whatever?

This seems absurd to me. I can sit down and watch WRAL-DT on Mondays from 8:00 right on through till 11:00 and see all the shows in HD without any switching. Why can WRAL do this and WNCN not do this? Are the people at WRAL just that much better at their jobs? Does it have to do with different equipment? Or is it just oversight on WNCN's part?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that someone is making this a whole lot more complicated than it needs to be. Is there someone (in charge, rather than another drone) to complain to about this?

Andrew D. Smith
President
DesignComp inc.
post #143 of 16049 Old 02-11-2003, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A little further up on the page you will see that I have the same issue with WNCN. After corresponding with someone at the station it seems they are one of several stations controlled automatically by a centralized control system in Miami FL that can be overridden locally. I have tried to watch several shows that were not even shown in HD at all until my wife or myself called the station. I have usually called the station and punched 1 for the news hotline as no one else will answer the phone after 5:00. The news people of course know nothing about HDTV but I usually ask them to either let me speak to someone in engineering or since the news people always tell me the engineer is busy working on the live shot or the promo for the news coming at 11:00, ask them to tell the engineer to go over and push the override button(s). In fact, my wife was the one that called Sunday to get them to switch L&O CI at about 9:10.

I am trying to get confirmation but my theory is that WNCN lacks the equipment to overlay the Station ID graphics on the HDTV programming and starts the show off in SD so they can run the ID bug. The station ID every hour is a requirement of the FCC so we are not likely to get out of that but my suggestion has been to switch it to SD just for the 10 seconds the bug is up and switch it back.

I think we all have higher expectations because WRAL genuinely cares that their product, in whatever form it takes, be the best it possibly can. It is funny how they have a top-notch, fully staffed, local engineering dept, run a bunch of original programming, do the news in HD and seemingly still make money.

For some reason, the other stations in the are do not seem to have the same level of commitment.

I do not want to give the contact name in the forum as I have not asked for permission to do so but he is who I got a response from by going to the contact page of www.nbc17.com and selecting email engineering. I will give the address to you via PM if you would like. I would love it if others in the area would call so I don't feel like I am the only one. Perhaps if every time the station forgot to run something in HD they had at least 3 or 4 cals they might care. As it is now, I have called them quite a few times since the first Triple Crown race last year that the engineer insisted was not available in HD and it has had no real effect.

post #144 of 16049 Old 02-11-2003, 07:20 AM

Lee - Yes, I read your comments, and I do know about the central switching issue, even thought I think that could easily be taken care of, if they cared enough.

I don't know if the logo bug is the issue or not, but I wouldn't doubt it. But, since the local station has the ability to override the central system, they should do a better job when they do these things. I mean, if I was paid to do something, as part of my job, I would make sure I did it correctly.

I will start using the engineer contact too, as I think the more you bug them about it the more likely they are to get fed up with being bothered and do something about it.

Also, I know that there are some people that veiw these forums, with a "hands-off" approach, just to see how things are going. So, even though the NBC HD enginneer may/may not actually post in here, they do read to keep up with things.

So, it's also a form of "public humiliation" in a way.

Andrew D. Smith
President
DesignComp inc.
post #145 of 16049 Old 02-16-2003, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought I read that Fox would be carrying the Daytona 500 in Dolby 5.1. Unfortunately, on Fox50 WRAZ my receiver is showing Dolby Pro Logic. Is anyone getting the race in 5.1?

Steve
post #146 of 16049 Old 02-17-2003, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I talked to the Cheif Engineer at WRAZ Fox50 and he said they do not have the equipment for 5.1 yet but are working on it. They hope to have it up in the next couple of months.

post #147 of 16049 Old 02-18-2003, 05:11 PM

Seems like WNCN is now broadcasting their SD channel too. I'm getting channel 218, WNCN-SD, over TWC. I checked the OTA, but right now, reception on 55.1 and 55.2 (17.1 and 17.2) is constantly fluctuating from 100% to 0% with my AccessDTV card. But I don't remember if I was able to get a sub channel with the OTA, as I never really used the sub channels that way.

Is it just me, or is this new?

And on a side note, I was going to email WNCN's engineering department Monday to compliment them on finally being able to show multiple HD broadcasts one after the other. But, my hopes were premature

American Dreams went smoothly without any SD-HD switching problems, then right into Law and Order:CI, again without any glitch from the SD-HD switching. I was all set for Kingpin. But NO, they had to screw it up.

After all the commercials, right as the show was about to start, they had to do the "The world's gonna end urgent weather update." Of course, that had to be in SD. Then, when they switched to Kingpin, SD only. It never went into HD as far as I could tell. I kept checking, for about 40 minutes, and then just gave up and watched it on the SD channel.

Maybe they'll get it right someday.

Andrew D. Smith
President
DesignComp inc.
post #148 of 16049 Old 02-19-2003, 07:50 AM

Hey,

I'm currently a Dirctv subscriber and have been considering upgrading to a HD Directv STB. I already have the oval dish and the 3 LNBs. I know I'll need an antenna to get local HD stations. I've been doing some research on this forum, but haven't seen any particular advice.

I was checking in a local Lowes Hardware and saw an antenna from Phillips/Magnavox called the MANT 910 to be mounted on an exiting Directv dish to get local channels. Has anyone used this to pick up OTA HD local channels? Any success/disappointment? In theory, all I need is a small multidirectional antenna from my location.

Another model I saw (also Phillips) was the MANT 400 indoor amplified antenna. Anybody used this one?

Thanks for any feedback.

John
post #149 of 16049 Old 02-19-2003, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think you will have much better luck getting a "real" antenna over either of those, and you really want to put it OUTSIDE above your roofline. Keep in mind that most of the RDU locals / DTV transmitters are out east of Clayton. See what kind of antenna recomendation you get for WRAZ (50) analog - then go with that for an antenna. I'd recomend an antenna like the ChannelMaster 4025 / 4228 for DTV, or maybe one of their larger combo VHF/UHF units.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #150 of 16049 Old 02-25-2003, 06:53 PM

Yea, Scooper is on the right track here. Keep in mind that there is no "best" antenna for HD. The best antenna is the one that works for you in your location. The CM 4025/4228 is a great place to start, but don't be surprised if you have to try a few to get the right one. I started out with the Stealth which worked fine for my neighbor across the street. It wouldn't lock for me. Finally went to the 4228.

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page