Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 525 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #15721 of 15785 Old 09-17-2018, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
So is CBS WNCN going to keep doing hurricane coverage and not show NFL!?
They could have moved either the NFL or the news coverage to one of their subchannels if they chose to do so. So there should have been other options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15722 of 15785 Old 01-05-2019, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fox 50 Pixelation on Uverse

I've noticed for the last week or so that Fox 50 is breaking up on Uverse but is okay OTA. Any one else?
post #15723 of 15785 Old 01-05-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ_RDU View Post
I've noticed for the last week or so that Fox 50 is breaking up on Uverse but is okay OTA. Any one else?
NVM. It seems fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15724 of 15785 Old 01-21-2019, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WRAL Issues?

Anyone else having issues with WRAL?

I've not had issues for over 8 years using a combination of a 4228HD antenna and CM7777 Amp roof mounted on my 3-story hilltop home in Fayetteville, but started having pixelation and stuttering in the past ten days or so - just on WRAL. Anyone else seeing this? I'm trying to figure out if my antenna's moved a little, or the amp is going bad. I think I might have replaced the amp in 2012, having used one from my previous home for 2 years (maybe 6 years at the previous home, so about 8 years total)... so the current amp is at about 6 years, so maybe it's fading. Or are they supposed to last forever? I think I have an unamplified distribution block for the upstairs TVs, one of the outputs which feeds and amplified block for the downstairs TVs. I need to double check the upstairs TVs to see how their reception is.

So far WRAL appears to be the only channel from the Raleigh area I'm having any issues with.

John
post #15725 of 15785 Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfuda View Post
Anyone else having issues with WRAL?

I've not had issues for over 8 years using a combination of a 4228HD antenna and CM7777 Amp roof mounted on my 3-story hilltop home in Fayetteville, but started having pixelation and stuttering in the past ten days or so - just on WRAL. Anyone else seeing this? I'm trying to figure out if my antenna's moved a little, or the amp is going bad. I think I might have replaced the amp in 2012, having used one from my previous home for 2 years (maybe 6 years at the previous home, so about 8 years total)... so the current amp is at about 6 years, so maybe it's fading. Or are they supposed to last forever? I think I have an unamplified distribution block for the upstairs TVs, one of the outputs which feeds and amplified block for the downstairs TVs. I need to double check the upstairs TVs to see how their reception is.

So far WRAL appears to be the only channel from the Raleigh area I'm having any issues with.
I've been having problems with WRAL (5.1) and WRAZ (50.1) for over a year. I'm using an attic-mounted CM-4228HD in Durham. WRAL was my strongest signal for several years, then started pixelation and drop-outs at the slightest hint of wind starting in May of 2017. It continues even in winter when the leaves are off the trees. WNCN (17.1) is now my best signal.
I've tried a step-by-step approach to determine if my set-up is to blame. I've swapped out the amplifier, added a 700 MHz filter, ran new cable, replaced the splitter, tried without the splitter. I get the same results.
I'm waiting now for August when WRAL changes frequency from physical channel 48 to physical channel 17. That probably means I'll start having problems with WNCN, as it moves to physical channel 8. WTVD (11.1) will move to physical channel 9. Physical channels 8 and 9 are in the VHF range but the CM-4228HD is mainly a UHF antenna. It does have some response at the high-end of VHF, but I'll have to wait and see how my set-up performs.
post #15726 of 15785 Old 01-22-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I had this problem as well, except my problem channel was 32 WITN in the east. Any wind at all, and the signal was a mess. The antenna itself didn't seem to be the problem, but the location of it. Moving it just an inch up or down would greatly improve stability of the signal, while all the other channels it didn't matter... Also at the same time turning the antenna just the slightest amount would stop the digitizing.

With all the wind we have seen, if your antenna is outdoors, chances are it moved. In the attic, it's hard to say, but if you can move the antenna, I would try it while having someone yell as you adjust, or use two phones.
post #15727 of 15785 Old 01-22-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundakitty View Post
I've been having problems with WRAL (5.1) and WRAZ (50.1) for over a year. I'm using an attic-mounted CM-4228HD in Durham. WRAL was my strongest signal for several years, then started pixelation and drop-outs at the slightest hint of wind starting in May of 2017. It continues even in winter when the leaves are off the trees. WNCN (17.1) is now my best signal.
I've tried a step-by-step approach to determine if my set-up is to blame. I've swapped out the amplifier, added a 700 MHz filter, ran new cable, replaced the splitter, tried without the splitter. I get the same results.
I'm waiting now for August when WRAL changes frequency from physical channel 48 to physical channel 17. That probably means I'll start having problems with WNCN, as it moves to physical channel 8. WTVD (11.1) will move to physical channel 9. Physical channels 8 and 9 are in the VHF range but the CM-4228HD is mainly a UHF antenna. It does have some response at the high-end of VHF, but I'll have to wait and see how my set-up performs.
I noticed the same thing. WRAL and WRAZ used to be the strongest signal (I have the same attic-mounted antenna and I am in Cary, a lot closer to the Garner towers) but then started having issues about the same time you noticed it, so I do not think it is your setup. I haven't noticed as much lately as I have not been using as much OTA HD as I am on my 2 year introductory offer of AT&T Gigapower internet + uVerse, so I have been getting my local HD channels via uVerse. Not sure why those Capital Broadcasting stations started exhibiting this issue, but as you say, it may change when the channel frequencies change.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #15728 of 15785 Old 01-25-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 262
WRAL screwed up sound, or network feed?

Wife is downstairs watching ice skating tonight on WRAL 5.1 channel. She called me down because the sound is wonky. And is it ever. Some kind of a nasty pumping artifact, like a compressor gone nutty or maybe some kind of weird phasing problem. She likes to dump the center channel during her ice skating shows because the commentators never cease to annoy her -- and with the dialog out, you can really hear the L/R/surrounds going a bit crazy.

So I checked other channels and don't get this distortion anywhere but WRAL. Which means it's WRAL's OTA signal that's the problem; it's not me or my equipment.

Is this a WRAL thing? Or is it the NBC feed coming out of the truck in Detroit?

I'm asking because if wife isn't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy. Anyone know what's up?

Oh yes, this started at about 8:00pm EST, 25-Jan-2019, for the record.
post #15729 of 15785 Old 01-25-2019, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Wife is downstairs watching ice skating tonight on WRAL 5.1 channel. She called me down because the sound is wonky. And is it ever. Some kind of a nasty pumping artifact, like a compressor gone nutty or maybe some kind of weird phasing problem. She likes to dump the center channel during her ice skating shows because the commentators never cease to annoy her -- and with the dialog out, you can really hear the L/R/surrounds going a bit crazy.

So I checked other channels and don't get this distortion anywhere but WRAL. Which means it's WRAL's OTA signal that's the problem; it's not me or my equipment.

Is this a WRAL thing? Or is it the NBC feed coming out of the truck in Detroit?

I'm asking because if wife isn't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy. Anyone know what's up?

Oh yes, this started at about 8:00pm EST, 25-Jan-2019, for the record.
I have three NBC affiliates - WBTS Boston, WPTZ Plattsburgh NY, and WNBC NYC. All three have good audio in the surrounds during the ice skating tonight (Friday). Although I must say that I have never heard an event that sounded so different on three different stations - treble levels, bass levels, stereo separation. Fascinating. You'd think that'd be standard in a digital broadcast. No single one is the best - they all vary on different things. Maybe because I am hearing it more because I am listening closely because of your post. But no distortion. This is via Directv. WPTZ OTA is okay, too.
post #15730 of 15785 Old 01-26-2019, 01:19 PM

Thanks for your troubleshooting help ejb1980.

I sent an email about WRAL's sound problem last night to the address on their website for engineering; have not had a reply and don't really expect one. But whatever it was, WRAL seems to have fixed it. Wife is downstairs as I write this happily watching more ice skating on WRAL, and it sounds just fine today.

I like this "trick" of dropping the center channel. Often works with all kinds of sports. When the announcers won't shut up and let you just watch the darn game... sometimes it's just the ticket. But sometimes the broadcaster insists on spreading the announcers across the entire front L/C/R. Then you're out of luck. Sigh... But just the idea that I can shut John McEnroe up and watch some tennis without his constant yammering...

Last edited by Bruce Watson; 01-26-2019 at 01:31 PM.
post #15731 of 15785 Old 02-15-2019, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I figured "Raleigh" would be at the top or near the top of this forum list with comments pertaining to the sudden departure of WRAL's Greg Fishel. All I can say is, "wow", and what a sad way to depart for someone who has been in a high-profile position and at the SAME station for almost 40 years. All of that time, dedication, being THE weather face for not only WRAL but for a wide-swath of central and eastern NC - and it all ends with a starchy, unceremonious, 30-sec read from management by an anchor. Had this played out otherwise, there would have been at least a month's worth of accolades, well-wishes, retro clips, and other reflections on his career. He - along with other WRAL weather staff - was also the weather voice for many NC radio stations via the North Carolina News Network. What a sad and unfortunate way it all went down...
gillcup likes this.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #15732 of 15785 Old 02-15-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 6476
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
I figured "Raleigh" would be at the top or near the top of this forum list with comments pertaining to the sudden departure of WRAL's Greg Fishel. All I can say is, "wow", and what a sad way to depart for someone who has been in a high-profile position and at the SAME station for almost 40 years. All of that time, dedication, being THE weather face for not only WRAL but for a wide-swath of central and eastern NC - and it all ends with a starchy, unceremonious, 30-sec read from management by an anchor. Had this played out otherwise, there would have been at least a month's worth of accolades, well-wishes, retro clips, and other reflections on his career. He - along with other WRAL weather staff - was also the weather voice for many NC radio stations via the North Carolina News Network. What a sad and unfortunate way it all went down...
I agree that the way they did this was very strange. I don't know what Greg's problems are, but you think he would have just retired and WRAL would have dealt with it in a discreet manner. No need to air his dirty laundry like that. He must have really done something to anger the management to get this kind of treatment.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #15733 of 15785 Old 02-16-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I seriously doubt Greg was the problem. Does anyone still watch? If they did "say goodbye" by reading something pre written like that, after like eaclhoun said of nearly 40 years of building the station to what it was, that was a disgrace.
post #15734 of 15785 Old 02-16-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
I seriously doubt Greg was the problem.
Looks like a Greg problem to me:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...226198385.html

If you don't want to bother reading the story, here's the last part of his statement:

"God is leading me in a new direction. For years i have stated that i trust God, but i wonder if that statement was more intellectually based than from the heart. Now i want to learn how to truly walk with God each day and trust Him to lead me in the direction i need to go. He’s blessed me in so many ways for almost 62 years. I hope and pray that there are at least a few more blessings to come. Thank you all again so much for your love and support!"
post #15735 of 15785 Old 02-16-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Looks like a Greg problem to me:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...226198385.html

If you don't want to bother reading the story, here's the last part of his statement:

"God is leading me in a new direction. For years i have stated that i trust God, but i wonder if that statement was more intellectually based than from the heart. Now i want to learn how to truly walk with God each day and trust Him to lead me in the direction i need to go. He’s blessed me in so many ways for almost 62 years. I hope and pray that there are at least a few more blessings to come. Thank you all again so much for your love and support!"

Almost sounds like he is going to become a minister. One station near me had a Met do that. Also we had one that went to work for a competitor... Time will tell as it always does.

Still doesn't explain the brief and sudden bolt and 30 sec station response.
post #15736 of 15785 Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
Almost sounds like he is going to become a minister. One station near me had a Met do that. Also we had one that went to work for a competitor... Time will tell as it always does.

Still doesn't explain the brief and sudden bolt and 30 sec station response.

Another key part in that article is this....

Fishel’s statement cited “personal challenges over the last year,” which he says have impacted his “ability to work effectively and professionally.”

I have no knowledge of what the issue was, but this sounds like a "terms of employment behavior" issue and they allowed him to resign rather than fire him due to his long standing history at the station and being the chief meteorologist. It sounds more to me like he is turning to his faith to help with whatever personal issues are involved.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #15737 of 15785 Old 03-28-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I am looking for antenna selection help for post-repack reception. I had previously used a Clearstream 2V at my old house in northeast Durham, and sometimes struggled to get ABC 11, depending on weather. I now live in southwest Durham, and I am looking for a new OTA antenna to use once my Dish contract is up. Here is my current TV Fool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90387fb5cb0823

WRAL and WRAZ seem to be missing for some reason?

It looks like everything I would expect to receive is going to be in High VHF and lower UHF after the repack:

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...=&lss=&status=

Does anyone have any suggestions for a single antenna solution that isn't overly obtrusive to receive the following channels?

WRAL
WRAZ
WNCN
WLFL
WTVD
WUNC (like to have, not required)

Thanks,
Ted
post #15738 of 15785 Old 03-29-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
I am looking for antenna selection help for post-repack reception. I had previously used a Clearstream 2V at my old house in northeast Durham, and sometimes struggled to get ABC 11, depending on weather. I now live in southwest Durham, and I am looking for a new OTA antenna to use once my Dish contract is up. Here is my current TV Fool report:

It looks like everything I would expect to receive is going to be in High VHF and lower UHF after the repack:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a single antenna solution that isn't overly obtrusive to receive the following channels?

WRAL

WRAZ

WNCN

WLFL

WTVD

Thanks,

Ted

You’re going to need a VHF and UHF combo antenna like this:

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=HD7694P

You might even be able to get a few Triad channels on the backside of the antenna. A preamp might also help you at your location.
ncted likes this.
post #15739 of 15785 Old 03-29-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post
You’re going to need a VHF and UHF combo antenna like this:

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=HD7694P

You might even be able to get a few Triad channels on the backside of the antenna. A preamp might also help you at your location.
Thanks for the recommendation. Since you think I might be able to get Greensboro stations, does that mean you think I should be able to get WUNC (Chapel Hill) with this antenna in the same way?
post #15740 of 15785 Old 03-29-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Since you think I might be able to get Greensboro stations, does that mean you think I should be able to get WUNC (Chapel Hill) with this antenna in the same way?

Yes you should receive WUNC, even though your TV Fool doesn’t even list it. They must be having software trouble since it omits 5 and 50 too. They should be among your strongest signals.
post #15741 of 15785 Old 03-30-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post
Yes you should receive WUNC, even though your TV Fool doesn’t even list it. They must be having software trouble since it omits 5 and 50 too. They should be among your strongest signals.
OK. Cool. I wasn't sure as the transmitter for WUNC is in a different direction than everything else from my location.
post #15742 of 15785 Old 03-30-2019, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

WRAL
WRAZ
WNCN
WLFL
WTVD

Thanks,
Ted
A friend in south east Durham just bought one of these:
https://www.1byone.com/amplified-out...les-range.html

I have a home-made hourglass antenna for VHF and a channel master CM-4228HD for UHF, both mounted in my attic.
Here's info on the hourglass antenna:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loop...fhourglassloop
I built the seven-rod reflector version.
ncted likes this.
post #15743 of 15785 Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
i also wanted to state my WRAL and FOX50 reception has gotten terrible the past few months. I've never had any problems for about 20 years. All other channels come in fine as usual but 5.1 and fox50 are both pixelated choppy and sometimes no signal at all. I live in youngsville, nc and have a large rooftop antenna pointed directly at the wral tower (South East from my location). ive checked all kinds of stuff, new matching transformer, new cable, cleaned all metal contact surfaces. Only thing left to try is a new antenna, mine is pretty old now, but since all the other channels still come in fine im doubting its the antenna.
post #15744 of 15785 Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Perhaps Clearstream 4MAX or 4V if VHF dipole is strong enough. UHF gain should be good. And perhaps Winegard LNA200 or RCA preamp.
post #15745 of 15785 Old 04-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 19
No problems with WRAL or WRAZ here. I'm 65 miles from the transmitter. Using a 91XG in my attic.
post #15746 of 15785 Old 04-23-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0cketz View Post
i also wanted to state my WRAL and FOX50 reception has gotten terrible the past few months. I've never had any problems for about 20 years. All other channels come in fine as usual but 5.1 and fox50 are both pixelated choppy and sometimes no signal at all. I live in youngsville, nc and have a large rooftop antenna pointed directly at the wral tower (South East from my location). ive checked all kinds of stuff, new matching transformer, new cable, cleaned all metal contact surfaces. Only thing left to try is a new antenna, mine is pretty old now, but since all the other channels still come in fine im doubting its the antenna.
UPDATE: It has been the WIND. the days i couldnt get reception it was very windy. My neighbor planted some trees that have now grown big enough to be directly in the pointed path of my antenna. The trees sway in the wind and cause a multipath interference. On non windy days i get perfect reception.
post #15747 of 15785 Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0cketz View Post
UPDATE: It has been the WIND. the days i couldnt get reception it was very windy. My neighbor planted some trees that have now grown big enough to be directly in the pointed path of my antenna. The trees sway in the wind and cause a multipath interference. On non windy days i get perfect reception.

You might have better luck with those two channels after the repack. Right now they are on 48 and 49 and they will be relocating to the bottom of the uhf band. It may get better, or it may get worse.
p0cketz likes this.
post #15748 of 15785 Old 05-14-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WRAL-DT3 (StartTV)

Does anyone know anything about WRAL-DT3?

It was added as channel 5-3 (StartTV) on my TiVo programming guide quite a while ago, but still doesn't seem to actually be broadcasting yet. Google searching for WRAL-DT3 pretty much just yields a bunch of programming guides (including WRAL's) which also include StartTV on 5-3 as if it's up and running, but it's not.

I can't find any other information about it from the WRAL side. From the StartTV side (https://www.starttv.com/wheretowatch/) it shows Raleigh/WRAL/5.3 as coming soon, which I guess confirms it's not actually broadcasting in this market yet, but no other information.

Does anyone have any knowledge on WRAL-DT3 and when it might get turned on?

Last edited by jminer1; 05-14-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: remove extra white space
post #15749 of 15785 Old 05-31-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can anyone recommend an antenna installer in the Triangle? I can't seem to find one. I need someone who knows what they are doing as I have:

1. Lots of trees
2. A house that is down slope

As a result, I am going to need the antenna on the roof or chimney, which I am not comfortable doing myself. I know Dish offers antenna installation, but apparently only the Dinova Boss Mix. I'd be willing to give that a try if it had better VHF gain. Anyway, if anyone has recommendations, I'd appreciate it.
post #15750 of 15785 Old 05-31-2019, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminer1 View Post
Does anyone know anything about WRAL-DT3?

It was added as channel 5-3 (StartTV) on my TiVo programming guide quite a while ago, but still doesn't seem to actually be broadcasting yet. Google searching for WRAL-DT3 pretty much just yields a bunch of programming guides (including WRAL's) which also include StartTV on 5-3 as if it's up and running, but it's not.

I can't find any other information about it from the WRAL side. From the StartTV side (https://www.starttv.com/wheretowatch/) it shows Raleigh/WRAL/5.3 as coming soon, which I guess confirms it's not actually broadcasting in this market yet, but no other information.

Does anyone have any knowledge on WRAL-DT3 and when it might get turned on?

Probably start of the month. WRAZ has also added a .3 and is broadcasting color bars. No idea what is planned there. Maybe Court TV? Still haven't seen the .3 for WRAL fire up though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page