Las Vegas, NV - HDTV - Page 326 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1591Likes

post #9751 of 11244 Old 12-16-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 789
The FCC official database of all things TV shows the two Vegas ATSC 3.0 test stations as operating on channel 28, not 18, and on 35 not 45.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/t...on2=22&size=10

Will the last subscriber leaving Dish Network please turn off the satellite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 11244 Old 12-17-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cornerstore appeared on KLSV 50.3 one year ago. Yet, today that network is now missing from KLSV on their first anniversary in Vegas, and a feed of KOCE 50.1 Huntington Beach's PBS fills the Vegas airwaves.

Friday 12/18 edit: The PSIP's for both 50.1 and 50.2 are gone, while 50.3 continues to air KOCE Huntington Beach, CA.

Friday evening edit: Comet, the SciFi network, has launched on KVMY 21.3 Las Vegas. Some may need to rescan your viewing devices. KLSV seems to have corrected their errors with all three subs back to near normal. They have even added a 50.4 with a "Lease" billboard.
foghorn2 likes this.

Last edited by rdvegas; 12-18-2015 at 06:42 PM.
post #9753 of 11244 Old 12-23-2015, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It nice to have plenty of stations for sub networks. But not so good if the network that you want to see ends up on the worst station for reception and that would be KMVY. I can get all the stations broadcasting with a strong signal except for KMVY with my indoor Wingard amped flatwave and I positioned it best using TVFool. I have no major line of site obstructions through my home to both mountain top transmitter locations and nothing near the antenna the would interfere with the signal.(I only get enough signal to get the channel PSIP so its there) So why I am not getting KMVY? Maybe it is just because its on RF2 and/or the station is operating at minimal power until they get all the networks online to bring it back up to full power next year? Another thing they should do is put the most popular networks on the main channel so it gets the must carry on cable and Sat. I believe Comet will be the most popular channel for KMVY and should be placed on the main channel that AntennaTV presently occupies to be on Cable and Sat. Other popular sub networks like Metv should require the same to be added or moved to a non major network Full power station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9754 of 11244 Old 12-23-2015, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
As fare as the new ATSC 3 it better be compatible with ATSC1-2 to have it fully implemented and to not have tell all the 2K HDTV owners that they will need to buy a new 4K HDTV or down converter Box to get OTA HDTV. It another BataMax v VHS and I think they are pushing there limit with 4kTV just like they tried to do with 3DTV. I think HDTV is great just the way it is now and the hell if I am going to buy a new 4K HDTV or Box to watch OTA TV. TV stations will have a new problem to deal with when more people find others way to get there HDTV so they do not have to buy a new 4K HDTV or Box. They will leave OTA TV for Cable, Sat and Streaming for TV that will still be using ATSC1-2.
foghorn2 likes this.
post #9755 of 11244 Old 12-23-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

pjs344: KVMY is rf channel 2, thus you need a better antenna to receive that channel. Fully extended, horizontal, rabbit ears could work for you. ATSC 3.0 is coming, and viewers are replacing tv sets that aren't that old to keep current. I see no problem with buyers for any new standard in a year or two or three. As for Comet being the most popular sub on KVMY, I think Antenna will win that award. Thanks pjs344 for jumping into the conversation. Visit again soon.

post #9756 of 11244 Old 12-23-2015, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
ATSC 3.0 is coming, and viewers are replacing tv sets that aren't that old to keep current. I see no problem with buyers for any new standard in a year or two or three. .
You won't catch me shelling out for a new HDTV or UHDTV until that tuner is in there unless I have a failure that causes me to have to purchase a new TV. I might be wrong but I don't believe there are any TVs other than maybe prototypes that contain an ATSC 3.0 tuner.
Yes 3.0 is coming, and I think it will be great, but I was working in TV when we adopted 8VSB. I couldn't figure out why we didn't go with OFDM which was already proven to be very robust. Did we ever compare formats? Now guess what?

Last edited by OTA Junkie; 12-24-2015 at 11:00 AM.
post #9757 of 11244 Old 12-24-2015, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
There were lot$ of very $imple rea$on$ why we didn't choo$e OFDM for OTA in the U$, but I remind you that Sinclair fought tooth and nail, at the time, to try to get OFDM adopted in the US, including side-by-side comparisons. Time and experience has proven Sinclair correct. Now Sinclair is very heavily involved in creating OFDM-based ATSC 3.0, which should come as no surprise.

It won't be backwards compatible and that's okay, because ATSC 1.0 truly is terrible in many ways and making a clean break from the poor decisions of the past isn't a bad thing. ATSC 3.0, by contrast, is designed to be forward compatible with future changes after 3.0 is adopted. One of the goals will be to attempt to software-define receivers, so that if the standard changes in the future, a patch to the receiver's software will bring in the new standard. Time will tell if that works out in practice.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9758 of 11244 Old 12-24-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 243
If 3.0 becomes the standard, I'm not upgrading and will be ditching OTA altogether, I'm sick of these silly games.
post #9759 of 11244 Old 12-24-2015, 01:00 PM

Trip, I have heard that it was $$$, But what makes OFDM more expensive besides transmitter inefficiency? Also can it be stuffed into a 6mhz channel? If so how does the industry plan on making the switch? Flash Cut? Are they planning on putting dual tuners in TVs?

Last edited by OTA Junkie; 12-24-2015 at 04:29 PM.
post #9760 of 11244 Old 12-24-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
If 3.0 becomes the standard, I'm not upgrading and will be ditching OTA altogether, I'm sick of these silly games.
First, if I haven't said before, let me say how much I love your signature.

Second, I don't understand this attitude. First of all, I don't understand what you mean by "these silly games." In terms of age, ATSC 1.0 is about as old as EDGE/EVDO as used on cell phones--technology most in that industry would consider to be "very very old." Why is it so hard to believe that a standard that, in a week's time, will be 20 years old isn't due for a replacement? How come every other form of technology can move forward, but not TV technology? Especially since the method planned for doing so will involve functionality that many smart TVs already have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Junkie View Post
Trip, I have heard that it was $$$, But what makes OFDM more expensive besides transmitter inefficiency? Also can it be stuffed into a 6mhz channel? If so how does the industry plan on making the switch? Flash Cut? Are they planning on putting dual tuners in TVs?
It's not just that OFDM is more expensive. Which it is; it requires more power to cover the same geographic region--something that isn't an issue in Europe where everything's close together and they have large systems of on-channel repeaters, but more of an issue in the US where a single transmitter is expected to reach geographically large areas. There was also an element of politics in it, from what I understand. 8VSB was developed at least in part by Zenith, a US company at the time. There was at least some desire to have a standard developed by US companies used in the US. Shortly after ATSC was adopted, Zenith was bought by LG and is no longer US-owned (LG is Korean). I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Yes, OFDM does fit into a 6 MHz channel.

The idea would be to have a phased transition. Using Vegas as an example, Sinclair might say, okay, we're going to transition to ATSC 3.0. KVCW will flip to ATSC 3.0 and due to the added efficiencies, will carry the programming of 3-1 through 3-3 and 33-1 through 33-3 on a single transmitter. KSNV, by contrast, would revert to all SD and carry that same spread of channels. (Or it may be across ownership groups, especially if it's someone without a duopoly partner, or they may carry NBC in HD and just CW and My in SD with the other services on 3.0 only, or some variant thereof.) After there is a certain amount of receiver penetration, the ATSC 1.0 transmitter would be turned off and converted to ATSC 3.0 as well.

I think the short-term plan would be to use a centralized receiver that can stream programming to the TV, like the HDHomeRun receiver does with the current standard. Long-term, I'm sure both would be in TVs, but I think the larger goal would be to software-define the receiver to the point that it's only one receiver for both standards and the software itself controls what it's capable of decoding. In theory, at least, that would make it at least somewhat future-proof.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9761 of 11244 Old 12-24-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I think the short-term plan would be to use a centralized receiver that can stream programming to the TV, like the HDHomeRun receiver does with the current standard. Long-term, I'm sure both would be in TVs,

- Trip
So If I understand, it would be the OFDM version of say HDHomerun that would give you 3.0 on your current devices, and that both tuners would eventually be in TVs? until technology gets that down to one?

A 3.0 conversion like you describe is going to take some cooperation if you're not working within a duopoly, but competitors can be pretty good about helping each other out. The crazy side I see is the STL builds to get streams to dual sites to make that work in your first scenario, that is unless transmitter sites are close enough to use some other method.

Thank You Trip

And Merry Christmas bye the way

Last edited by OTA Junkie; 12-24-2015 at 09:42 PM.
post #9762 of 11244 Old 12-24-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

3.0 with more televangelists, pre-emptions, color bars, black blank screens, worse than VHS picture quality, selling off the bandwidth to wireless, massive big corporate ownership by political zealots with a blind eyed FCC

Yes lets play these games all over with 3.0.

Last edited by foghorn2; 12-24-2015 at 09:26 PM.
post #9763 of 11244 Old 12-24-2015, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs344 View Post
As fare as the new ATSC 3 it better be compatible with ATSC1-2 to have it fully implemented and to not have tell all the 2K HDTV owners that they will need to buy a new 4K HDTV or down converter Box to get OTA HDTV. It another BataMax v VHS and I think they are pushing there limit with 4kTV just like they tried to do with 3DTV. I think HDTV is great just the way it is now and the hell if I am going to buy a new 4K HDTV or Box to watch OTA TV. TV stations will have a new problem to deal with when more people find others way to get there HDTV so they do not have to buy a new 4K HDTV or Box. They will leave OTA TV for Cable, Sat and Streaming for TV that will still be using ATSC1-2.
Agree 100%
Is the government going to "subsidize" the poor again for new tuners only to line the pockets of CE manufacturers and Big Box retailers?
post #9764 of 11244 Old 12-25-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
So If I understand, it would be the OFDM version of say HDHomerun that would give you 3.0 on your current devices, and that both tuners would eventually be in TVs? until technology gets that down to one?
Essentially, yes.

Quote:
A 3.0 conversion like you describe is going to take some cooperation if you're not working within a duopoly, but competitors can be pretty good about helping each other out. The crazy side I see is the STL builds to get streams to dual sites to make that work in your first scenario, that is unless transmitter sites are close enough to use some other method.
I don't think the STL issue is as big as people might think. Plenty of stations already share towers and transmitter buildings so if the encoding equipment is located there, then it's just a matter of running some cabling to a different part of the same building. Even if not, a fast enough Internet connection between the two would probably make it work and the expense isn't insurmountable for that sort of thing anymore.

Quote:
Thank You Trip

And Merry Christmas bye the way
You're most welcome, and Merry Christmas to you and to all here.

Quote:
Agree 100%
Is the government going to "subsidize" the poor again for new tuners only to line the pockets of CE manufacturers and Big Box retailers?
No, they won't. That part has been made very clear.

Quote:
3.0 with more televangelists, pre-emptions, color bars, black blank screens, worse than VHS picture quality, selling off the bandwidth to wireless, massive big corporate ownership by political zealots with a blind eyed FCC

Yes lets play these games all over with 3.0.
If you don't like the programming available today, I don't know why you're still watching. If you want programming on LPTV stations that want people to pay to play, then pay and provide programming--and then try to make money with it, which will demonstrate why so many channels come and go and why there are so many color bars. The picture quality is good on most stations, at least in the markets I frequent, except on LPTVs with a whole ton of channels. The incentive auction will happen once, as that's all Congress has authorized, and much to my own sadness only reflects what people regularly tell Congress about what is important to them, their cell phones much more so than OTA TV.

I also disagree that a move to ATSC 3.0 will cause some mass exodus to cable and satellite. That doesn't even make sense; any move to cable or satellite will be hugely more expensive than a one-time purchase of a converter box or similar device. If people want things like 4K, you can't do it with the TVs/converter boxes you have now whether the standard is backwards-compatible or not, because the HEVC compression necessary isn't part of ATSC 1.0. If you have to break the standard on that front, you might as well break the compatibility on the whole thing and attempt to double, triple, or quadruple the throughput on the stream overall, which is what ATSC 3.0 tries to do.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9765 of 11244 Old 12-25-2015, 08:39 PM

What hurt OTA viewer percentages? Is it the lure of cable or satellite program choices? Is it that people growing up today are conditioned to assume TVs must have Cable/Satellite? Is it that most people today don't know there is free over the air TV? (Hence the "Wow You Can Get Free TV!" commercials) or is it that sometimes obtaining decent digital reception is like trying to? "Well you know"

Last edited by OTA Junkie; 12-26-2015 at 08:48 AM.
post #9766 of 11244 Old 12-26-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is Sinclair completely nuts? Saturday their ASN network aired several high school basketball games from South Carolina. That's okay if your live in or near South Carolina. But those games have near zero interest in the West, especially in Las Vegas. The topper was that ASN pre-empted GETV TV programming on KSNV 3.3. This bumped over three hours of rare western gems many wait a full week to view on GET. Sinclair, and their psuedo Stirk outfit, control three Vegas stations airing 9 sub-channels. Put ASN on KVCW 33.2, and leave the national diginets GET, Estrella, Antenna, Cozi, Comet, CW, and THIS alone. The Las Vegas manager of the Sinclair cluster needs to grow some and draw a line in the desert sand telling Sinclair that Vegas viewers are fed up with the channel hopping games of ASN.

Cigar Time Ron tells me that KGNG 47.4, Retro, was without audio much of this afternoon.

My scans of late indicate I receive 62 subs. That would total 66 if K41IO wasn't in hiding and KMCC-34 turned on their Henderson repeater. Perhaps I missed a memo and both stations became video on demand.
foghorn2 likes this.

post #9767 of 11244 Old 12-26-2015, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, lets do this all over again with ATSC 3.0 and Sinclair owning everything, so much for the FCC making sure all this is in the public interest.
post #9768 of 11244 Old 12-27-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Put ASN on KVCW 33.2, and leave the national diginets GET, Estrella, Antenna, Cozi, Comet, CW, and THIS alone. The Las Vegas manager of the Sinclair cluster needs to grow some and draw a line in the desert sand telling Sinclair that Vegas viewers are fed up with the channel hopping games of ASN.
And should that happen, that manager will quickly find him/herself without a job and someone new who will do what corporate says will be placed in that position.

Quote:
Yeah, lets do this all over again with ATSC 3.0 and Sinclair owning everything, so much for the FCC making sure all this is in the public interest.
Not sure I'm following here. ATSC 3.0 will be in the public interest by allowing many more channels at much higher quality, by default. Sinclair won't own "everything" and to the extent that it owns a lot of stations, it complies with current ownership rules. If you want those changed, talk to Congress who just passed an exception to the much harsher rules the FCC passed in 2014 which will serve to greatly benefit Sinclair.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9769 of 11244 Old 12-27-2015, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
ATSC 3.0 will be in the public interest by allowing many more channels at much higher quality, by default. Sinclair won't own "everything" and to the extent that it owns a lot of stations, it complies with current ownership rules. If you want those changed, talk to Congress who just passed an exception to the much harsher rules the FCC passed in 2014 which will serve to greatly benefit Sinclair.

- Trip

I wish I knew someone at the FCC.
foghorn2 likes this.

post #9770 of 11244 Old 12-27-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I wish I knew someone at the FCC.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9771 of 11244 Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Honestly, Tripp your employer is a sham and you are defending a government institution that no longer represents "we the people", its "we the corporate lobbyist"

Such a shame..
post #9772 of 11244 Old 12-27-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Honestly, Tripp your employer is a sham and you are defending a government institution that no longer represents "we the people", its "we the corporate lobbyist"

Such a shame..
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm saying that it is. Congress has, on multiple occasions, made it clear to the FCC that it wants looser, not more stringent, regulations on things like TV ownership. As it is, with the net neutrality decision, there is talk of rewriting the Communications Act to give the FCC less power so it makes fewer and less stringent regulations. The JSA decision, to a lesser extent because it's less visible to the public, also raised similar talk.

I'm just trying to push your blame to the right place. The FCC has taken baby steps toward trying to tighten the TV ownership rules, and the Congress has slapped its hand already. Say what you want about me, false though it may be, but you won't change anything complaining about the FCC as long as Congress is pushing it in the other direction. Congress controls the FCC's budget, it can rewrite it into a toothless or even non-existent agency, and it gets to confirm the commissioners who vote on issues.

And with respect to ATSC 3.0, it is looking like it will be a significantly more efficient user of spectrum, while providing better services. I don't think you'll find anyone in any communications-related industry or in Congress or in the FCC who says that more efficiency is not in the public interest. And just remember, in the time since ATSC 1.0 was standardized, cell phones have gone through multiple rounds of technology upgrades.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9773 of 11244 Old 12-27-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bring back the FAX Band of the early 1960's. That and buggy whips.

post #9774 of 11244 Old 12-28-2015, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My scans of late indicate I receive 62 subs. That would total 66 if K41IO wasn't in hiding and KMCC-34 turned on their Henderson repeater.
It would total even more if KHMP-18 hadn't silenced their 4 subs, and KTUD-25 hadn't gone bankrupt on their 4, and KEEN-17 hadn't cut three of their subs. And the three KHDF 'lease' subs, I neglected in the original scan count. That would total 80.

DECADES and GRIT are pending launches.

Last edited by rdvegas; 12-30-2015 at 08:13 PM.
post #9775 of 11244 Old 12-28-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My Sammy plasma and TIVO OTA reporting Comet on 21.3, no guide data yet on either. The
Samsung has a PSIP based gui channel guide.

Panny Plasma has no guide. Just PSIP when on a channel.
post #9776 of 11244 Old 12-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Some more info on the test 4k broadcasts for CES:
CES: 4K Broadcasts Planned in Vegas With ATSC 3.0

Attendees will get an early look at the next generation of broadcasting from Sinclair station

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...atsc-30/146604
post #9777 of 11244 Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Much of Tuesday evening's RETRO programming on KGNG 47.4 was presented without audio. Retro is changing their schedule, and many viewers are not happy with some time changes for The Doctors to very late hours.

Audio was restored about noontime Wednesday.

Thursday evening at either 6:00 pm or later at midnight could see the shift on KTNV 13.3 from Heroes & Icons to GRIT. Titan has already changed the icon for the listings, but still displays H&I programming. Also, KVMY 21.3 and 21.4 on Titan show Heartland and Estrella. Things look buggie, but should be worked out in time for the 2017 big annual Sinclair channel switch.

Last edited by rdvegas; 12-30-2015 at 04:17 PM.
post #9778 of 11244 Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Much of Tuesday evening's RETRO programming on KGNG 47.4 was presented without audio. Retro is changing their schedule, and many viewers are not happy with some time changes for The Doctors to very late hours.

Thursday evening at either 6:00 pm or later at midnight could see the shift on KTNV 13.3 from Heroes & Icons to GRIT. Titan has already changed the icon for the listings, but still displays H&I programming. Also, KVMY 21.3 and 21.4 on Titan show Heartland and Estrella. Things look buggie, but should be worked out in time for the 2017 big annual Sinclair channel switch.
Strange that 21.3 shows Heartland on Titan rather than Comet. Unless Comet is moving. I entered my zip code onto the Comet website to see channel info, and it said Comet is not yet available for Las Vegas.
Regarding retro 47.4 audio issue, this is the 2nd time recently that it has experienced long term loss of audio. Although i send emails to kgng and post on retro's facebook, i've yet to receive a reply.
Hot tv 31.4 has improved in the sense that it isn't constantly going down. But the programming leaves a lot to be desired as most shows seem to repeat every couple of days.
I'm sure throngs of viewers have been enjoying the high school basketball coverage on get tv 3.3. Seems to be mostly from the South.
post #9779 of 11244 Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

Strange that 21.3 shows Heartland on Titan rather than Comet. Unless Comet is moving. I entered my zip code onto the Comet website to see channel info, and it said Comet is not yet available for Las Vegas.
Regarding retro 47.4 audio issue, this is the 2nd time recently that it has experienced long term loss of audio. Although i send emails to kgng and post on retro's facebook, i've yet to receive a reply.
Hot tv 31.4 has improved in the sense that it isn't constantly going down. But the programming leaves a lot to be desired as most shows seem to repeat every couple of days.
I'm sure throngs of viewers have been enjoying the high school basketball coverage on get tv 3.3. Seems to be mostly from the South.
post #9780 of 11244 Old 12-31-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarTimeRon View Post
To clairify, GET TV (KSNV 3.3) is not broadcasting any high school basketball on their network. Sinclair stations have mandated....forced....their local affiliates (O&O's) to include their American Sports Network high school basketball games (from 2200 miles away from Vegas) on a sub-channel. For Las Vegas, that means pre-empting the schedule of GET TV. Yeah , I'm sure throngs in Vegas are watching and saying things like even our worst Vegas high school could do better than these southern hicks. I'm also sure the Myrtle Beach tourism hot line has been ringing steadily with calls from Vegas booking trips for the coming hurricane season. Sinclair has proven they couldn't care a lick about the unhappy viewers not being able to tune to GET TV.

Elsewhere, H&I should disappear from KTNV 13.3 sometime today, and replaced by GRIT. Will Sinclair add a 21.4 for H&I? I can't believe that Comet would disappear from 21.3, and I doubt Heartland is coming to KVMY. I'm not sure where Titan got that bit of info. The Sinclair/Stirk promotion department locally has done an as usual top notch job of not providing advance info for their viewers on the pending channel changes.

Don't forget to do a channel scan tonight or tomorrow to capture any changes to the dial and updates to the PSIP's.
foghorn2 likes this.

Last edited by rdvegas; 12-31-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page