Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #4561 of 4602 Old 04-19-2019, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Correction, WFNA is co-located with WALA, not WKRG.

I'm near Foley and have the opposite problem: WSRE and WPMI come in with a paperclip in the antenna jack, but even with a set top antenna I can't really get WALA except on rare occasions, and WFNA and WEIQ are problematic. For me, it's a pretty wide spread between WKRG in Spanish Fort and WJTC on its lonesome tower in east Baldwin County.

I'm surprised at your reception issues of WSRE And WPMI, mobilelawyer. I figured they were some of the more robust signals around the market.
mobilelawyer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4602 Old 04-29-2019, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
There must be an obstruction somewhere. I'm just too close not to receive that station perfectly. I have verified that WPMI and WSRE are on the same tower. They have the same power. The fact that they are 100 megahertz apart should not affect my ability to receive them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mobilelawyer

Vizio M65-E0, Intel NUC 7i5BNH, HD Homerun Connect Quatro, Onkyo TX-NR575
TiVo Bolt Vox, Roku Ultra, AirTV Mini, Fire TV Stick 4K, Netflix, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, SlingTV
post #4563 of 4602 Old 07-05-2019, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

A few weeks ago, Sinclair pulled WPMI and WJTC off DirecTV. I usually watch them for local and national news (because I am an old man, that's why). Switched to ABC for national and WKRG for local news.

Fired up the DVR today and now Nexstar has pulled WKRG and WFNA. Mobile is now missing four TV channels from the lineup due to carriage disputes.

I do find it rather humorous that NBC 15 has been running the occasional "we are always available for free over the air" ads, while no one with DirecTV can see them, ha ha.

Oh well, that's what antennas and the NewsON app on Roku are for. Both work well enough.

Now, if they take away my WALA for Jeopardy!, we're gonna have some words…
Mario500 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4564 of 4602 Old 07-05-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Next month, The contract with Sinclair (Channel 3 and 35) will be up. I guess we will be only left with Channel 10. I wonder when that contract will be up for their contract. I'm just glad it is not football season and not fall primetime shows. I have my local channel connector on order. Don't let the reps tell you to got to the ATT store, they only setup installs.

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con.../June-2019.pdf
post #4565 of 4602 Old 07-06-2019, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwmsn View Post
Next month, The contract with Sinclair (Channel 3 and 35) will be up. I guess we will be only left with Channel 10. I wonder when that contract will be up for their contract. I'm just glad it is not football season and not fall primetime shows. I have my local channel connector on order. Don't let the reps tell you to got to the ATT store, they only setup installs.

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con.../June-2019.pdf
Local channel connector?
post #4566 of 4602 Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Local channel connector?
The local channel connector allows DirectTV customers to hook an antenna to get over the air channels. It is the part that is replacing the AM21.
post #4567 of 4602 Old 07-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The local channel connector allows DirectTV customers to hook an antenna to get over the air channels. It is the part that is replacing the AM21.
You ARE a Directv veteran. These shenanigans will continue as long as the locals demand exorbitant carriage fees. Everyone needs to get an outside antenna for locals if possible in order to immunize against these periodic inconveniences!

mobilelawyer

TiVo Bolt Vox, Roku Ultra, AirTV Mini, Fire TV Stick 4K, Netflix, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, SlingTV
post #4568 of 4602 Old 07-08-2019, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had no idea this existed! I have an AM21 from ye olden days that mysteriously quit booting up and has been gathering dust. I've missed it greatly. I'll have to investigate the connector, because I greatly miss being able to DVR shows off MeTV.

Edit to add: It looks like the LCC is only available in some test markets, and is not compatible with my older DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
You ARE a Directv veteran. These shenanigans will continue as long as the locals demand exorbitant carriage fees. Everyone needs to get an outside antenna for locals if possible in order to immunize against these periodic inconveniences!
I have an antenna and use it from time to time, but I'm just not someone who can tolerate live TV anymore. Too many commercials. Being able to time shift and skip commercials has spoiled me.

Last edited by Tom Servo; 07-08-2019 at 09:00 PM.
post #4569 of 4602 Old 07-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I had no idea this existed! I have an AM21 from ye olden days that mysteriously quit booting up and has been gathering dust. I've missed it greatly. I'll have to investigate the connector, because I greatly miss being able to DVR shows off MeTV.

Edit to add: It looks like the LCC is only available in some test markets, and is not compatible with my older DVR.

I have an antenna and use it from time to time, but I'm just not someone who can tolerate live TV anymore. Too many commercials. Being able to time shift and skip commercials has spoiled me.
I really like the idea of mixing locals in with the provider's content. The old AM21 offered one solution, and I am using the AirTV Player to mix the locals with my SlingTV service. I wish there were even more alternatives. I think the escalating demands for the carriage fees from the locals are hurting the OTT cable-cutting trends.

I have a suggestion for cable providers in and around Mobile: drop the local stations altogether. We don't have terrain problems (like Birmingham) which prevent people from effectively using an antenna here. If cable (odd as it sounds) would simply offer an OTT fare (for me all the ESPNs and News outlets and a handful of others), they could offer it at a price that would lure me back. I'll get the locals on my antenna. No carriage fees!!!

mobilelawyer

post #4570 of 4602 Old 07-11-2019, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
I really like the idea of mixing locals in with the provider's content. The old AM21 offered one solution, and I am using the AirTV Player to mix the locals with my SlingTV service. I wish there were even more alternatives. I think the escalating demands for the carriage fees from the locals are hurting the OTT cable-cutting trends.

I have a suggestion for cable providers in and around Mobile: drop the local stations altogether. We don't have terrain problems (like Birmingham) which prevent people from effectively using an antenna here. If cable (odd as it sounds) would simply offer an OTT fare (for me all the ESPNs and News outlets and a handful of others), they could offer it at a price that would lure me back. I'll get the locals on my antenna. No carriage fees!!!
I can think of at least one station whose viewership would suffer greatly if the cablecos dropped locals: WALA. Them with their VHF high band allocation would be a real pain in the you-know-what for viewers who are outside of Baldwin County and can't put up an outdoor antenna. I'm not even 20 miles from the tower — line of sight, no real obstructions — and can't get them reliably with any indoor antenna I've tried. I know they are impossible to get in Pensacola and points further east without an outdoor setup.

WDPM, WAWD and WFBD would all certainly perish without must-carry, too. Well, maybe not WDPM. I doubt Daystar cares on way or the other, ha ha. That's another "local" I can't get reliably, for whatever reason.

If I thought DirecTV would actually offer to let me upgrade the DVR without locking me into another contract, I might agitate for that option. But right now we are contemplating just cutting the cord and subscribing to Hulu, etc. and being done with satellite. Even if it means losing some locals and some cable channels like BBC World News I enjoy. We just need decent internet first.

By the way, there's at least one other station in Alabama in a worse situation than WALA. Florence's WHDF just went through the repack process up in the Tennessee Valley and they got shuffled off to RF channel 2. The only full power one in the US now, I believe. So far reception of their 20 kW signal has been… extremely problematic. Their tower is outside the Huntsville area so they were already at a disadvantage.
post #4571 of 4602 Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 PM

There is some irony that a broadcast entity that was "forced" to switch to a low band VHF frequency (the lowest) 50 or 60 years ago would be like condemning Brer Rabbit to the briar*patch. Huntsville was a pre-HDTV all UHF market! Imagine being allocated channel 2 there in the 1950's or 1960's. That license would have been worth a fortune!

Also, I have little sympathy for broadcast stations now trying to extort the cable, satellite and OTT providers at every renewal. Under FCC rules "must carry" is the station's election, not the provider's. When a station demands a licensing fee, the provider does not have to carry them. Someday, the stations are going to find that there is a ceiling to what fee they can get. I still adhere to the notion that the providers are doing them a favor by promulgating the signal so that the consumers do not have to worry about putting up an antenna, or, in your case, where, for technical reasons, the signal is not receivable.

mobilelawyer

post #4572 of 4602 Old 07-18-2019, 03:01 PM

I finally am pretty much at Nirvana on local channel reception. Although I am close to all the transmitters for the local channels, some were problematic for me, including WSRE and WFNA. I think the main problem has been my hesitancy to mount an antenna outside. Well, I pulled my old Channel Master 8 Bay UHF fringe antenna out, mounted it in a different part of the attic, aimed it carefully, and VOILA! I have gone the last couple of weeks without any signal faults at all. I am using the old and now discontinued Channel Master 4228 and it is showing its mettle. It is not very directional and seems to pull them all in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2592310  

mobilelawyer

post #4573 of 4602 Old 07-22-2019, 08:29 PM

I think the AM21 still works from what I read. The LCC tuner is not as strong as my tv tuners. The OTA guide for 10 WALA is not right, it is still showing the messages from last time it was pulled. I only watch it for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. The Mobile /Pensacola area is a market for the LCC being we have a channel dispute. I want it all back for CBS SEC games start. My signal is very solid, but when you have the ball game party at your house I like having plan a, b, and c.
post #4574 of 4602 Old 07-23-2019, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think the AM21 still works from what I read. The LCC tuner is not as strong as my tv tuners. The OTA guide for 10 WALA is not right, it is still showing the messages from last time it was pulled. I only watch it for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. The Mobile /Pensacola area is a market for the LCC being we have a channel dispute. I want it all back for CBS SEC games start. My signal is very solid, but when you have the ball game party at your house I like having plan a, b, and c.
I have an AM21 but it doesn't function anymore. IIRC it shows it's powered up, and the DVR recognizes it, but it just outputs a black screen and won't tune anything.

Riviera Cable has (finally) begun offering cable internet in parts of Foley, powered by Southern Light fiber. Right now they only offer 50/5 Mbps service but if we switch to that and it's stable, I'm seriously thinking we're going to cut the cord. DirecTV is quite a lot of money and we're watching less as a family than ever.

The only bugbears are WALA's pitiful reception with an indoor antenna, and getting all the sports channels via streaming. Seems like none of the online options offer everything we DO want to keep watching.

Also, August is fast approaching and I am really beginning to wonder if WEAR/WFGX will wind up disappearing when that Sinclair contract ends, without WKRG and WPMI/WJTC coming back. That'll leave us with WALA/WFGX as our only real locals left besides PBS and the also-rans.

Last edited by Tom Servo; 07-23-2019 at 02:13 AM.
post #4575 of 4602 Old 08-12-2019, 02:55 PM

When do the locals repack in our area for phase 5? Any timetable for ATSC for our market?
post #4576 of 4602 Old 08-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
When do the locals repack in our area for phase 5? Any timetable for ATSC for our market?

I believe September 6th is the "plan to rescan" day. Essentially, it's a switch-e-roo between WKRG, WMPV, WFNA, and WXXV out of Biloxi.

WKRG Channel 27-> Channel 20
WFNA Channel 25 -> Channel 27
WXXV Channel 48 -> Channel 25
WMPV Channel 20 -> Channel 18

Really, if you're manual channel-adder like myself, all you have to do is add Channel 18 to your lineup and the others should re-map themselves when you tune in post-switch. I get WXXV as it is my backup to WALA since it's a UHF station.

The next phase should be in January where the other stations (WEIQ 41->30, WSRE 31 ->24, WFGX 50->14 and WJTC 45->35) move to new frequencies. WPMI and WEAR are staying put.
Tom Servo likes this.
post #4577 of 4602 Old 09-06-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Did the local stations make their moves as scheduled?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4578 of 4602 Old 09-06-2019, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip
I can't speak for WXXV since it's out of my area, but WKRG and WFNA are on their post-repacking channels now.
post #4579 of 4602 Old 09-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

- Trip
I can't speak for WXXV since it's out of my area, but WKRG and WFNA are on their post-repacking channels now.
WXXV is up and running on Channel 25, seems to be a much better signal than before!

I haven't been able to get WMPV on 18, but it should be up and running as well....
Trip in VA and Tom Servo like this.
post #4580 of 4602 Old 09-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else had problems with WJHG and it's sub-channels since Aug 31?

It's like they're gone. Went from a strong signal to nothing, no matter what time of day I scan see nothing.

Climbed up in the attic to make sure the antenna was still on its mount, that nothing had gone sideways up there.

Everything else is working normally.

So odd, that it decided to happen so close to the one year anniversary of cutting the cord.

Probably an obstruction/tree. May just have to grab the ladder and start hacking anything in the yard that could be even close to the LOS.

Figured I'd ask before all that though. Too damn hot for creative tree trimming, and all the cleanup after.

Take care all.
post #4581 of 4602 Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM

They filed a notification with the FCC that they're back on the aux facility at the moment.

- Trip
jwdsail and Tom Servo like this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4582 of 4602 Old 09-13-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Trip,

Appreciate the reply!

Seems to be back up now.

All I had to do was post here asking about it.

Glad it was on their end, really didn't want to spend the weekend climbing ladders, trees, in the 100+degree attic, if I didn't need to!

Have a great weekend!

Quote:
They filed a notification with the FCC that they're back on the aux facility at the moment.

- Trip
post #4583 of 4602 Old 10-01-2019, 03:56 PM

Being Sinclair and ATT/Direct have worked out their deals, any guesses on Deerfield and ATT to get WPMI and WJTC back with them?
post #4584 of 4602 Old 10-17-2019, 09:07 AM

Looks like WEIQ was testing their new channel last night. I was picking up WJTV in Jackson on channel 12, and when I tuned to channel 30 to see if WLBT was coming in, it remapped to 42-1 and showed APT programming. Channel 41 was down at the time which led me to believe they are testing their post-repack facility.

WFGX is going to override WDBD post repack, so things could get interesting when the skies act up...
post #4585 of 4602 Old 10-17-2019, 09:46 AM

Are you still seeing it that way today? Their website seems to indicate they've already transitioned.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Last edited by Trip in VA; 10-17-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #4586 of 4602 Old 10-17-2019, 02:49 PM

I just saw their website...it's a permanent and early move to their post repack facility due to a transmitter failure of their pre-repack facility.

WSRE is moving on the 25th from 31 to 24. No word on WFGX and WJTC.
post #4587 of 4602 Old 10-17-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post
I just saw their website...it's a permanent and early move to their post repack facility due to a transmitter failure of their pre-repack facility.
Good to know. Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4588 of 4602 Old 10-25-2019, 02:05 PM

Has WSRE made its move yet?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4589 of 4602 Old 10-27-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Has WSRE made its move yet?

- Trip

Yes. It took some work since my antenna(s) took a hit in the storm on Friday, but all is working again.

It's always been more of a challenge to get them and WMPV, but the other stations in that area come in loud and clear.
Trip in VA likes this.
post #4590 of 4602 Old 10-27-2019, 05:53 PM

Thanks!

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page