Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #4621 of 4625 Old 05-03-2020, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I hope Plex is easier to deal with that whoever DirecTV used to get their OTA data from. Back when they had their own OTA integrated box, it had some sort of zipcode-derived program guide and it was wrong for all the years I used it. I had it in rural Mississippi and it was missing several channels, and then down here it was missing several subchannels on local stations, or had them listed wrong.

If you go to the other size of the market, though, WJHG is probably something that could be received over in Destin or Fort Walton Beach, so for them having that channel listed is a plus.

Right now I just wish I could pick up the stations that actually transmit from Baldwin County. As it is I can't reliably get several channels. Hopefully a modest outdoor antenna and amp will fix that later this year.
They probably pulled the data from TVGuide's provider, where Plex is getting their data from now. Before, it used Zap2it's data, which was more representative of the channel availability in a particular zip code. Lots of users were annoyed when they made the switch, becuase they had lost channels they could receive in their area, and the guide data was not always as accurate.

What I would like to know how to do is create the "dummy" OTA lineups that have been created in zip codes that are served by multiple markets, and even have distant stations that can be picked up by strong antennas and atmospheric interference. The flaw in the system is that it appears to only allow one "channel" per line-up. So in our case, W19CO-D's data is for Channel 19, but WMAH 19 is what I can pick up. Over on the other side of the market, WMBB 13 is not in the listings, but it can probably be picked up just as easily as WJHG 7. Over here, WLOX 13 comes in clear as a bell and is part of the listings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4625 Old 05-21-2020, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Once again, the Troposphere is off the chain tonight. New Orleans stations are overpowering the weaker stations out here in West Mobile.

WLAE overpowered WDPM, and WGNO overpowered WEDS-LD. I knew things were up when WPAP 92.5 was booming in on my car radio, making WZEW's 92.5 The Soul station impossible to pick up (same with virtually all of the Class-A translators, with stations from Panama City and New Orleans booming in their place. 97.1 has been off the air since South has been closed, making them fair game)

Back to TV, pretty much when WPMI goes away, that means New Orleans TV is receivable! I'm awaiting the day that WNOL overpowers them like what happened with WWL and WFNA a month ago! It knocked WALA and WKRG off as well.
Tom Servo likes this.

Last edited by esdx; 05-21-2020 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo
post #4623 of 4625 Old 05-21-2020, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for the heads up. It's not great for me in Baldwin County, but then my antenna setup for FM and TV is less than ideal. I've heard Tallahassee, Meridian and Houston so far on FM, nothing on TV.

Edit to add: One thing that is helping is several stations (TK 101, 107.3 The Beat) are apparently on AUX transmitters with RDS or HD so there's a few extra frequencies opened up.

Last edited by Tom Servo; 05-21-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4624 of 4625 Old 05-22-2020, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I hope those reception anomalies are in evidence this evening. It is not practical to rotate my antenna in the attic, but maybe I can pick up those stations off the back of my antenna pointed East.

Has anyone heard any discussion over deployment of ATSC 3.0 in this market? Mobile Pensacola is a target market according to this. Silicon Dust has a kickstarter offer to get in on their new 4K tuner which is supposed to be available to customers soon. 4K Kickstart.

Lon Seidman had a demo of the new HD Homerun tuner on his YouTube channel.

Any bets on how long before we will see this new technology in our market?

mobilelawyer
Vizio M65-E0, Intel NUC 7i5BNH, HD Homerun Prime and Connect Quatro, Onkyo TX-NR575, TiVo Bolt Vox,
Mediacom Cable, nVidia Shield, Roku Streaming Stick+, Fire TV Stick 4K, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+
post #4625 of 4625 Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
Any bets on how long before we will see this new technology in our market?
I'd be surprised if it wasn't running by the end of the year.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page