Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4411 of 6091 Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's official- NBC's HD programming is the pits. If it's not "snowing", its Ghosting. I've checked the channel via my D* and OTA antenna and they both are horrid. Everything else seems to come across great. I'm guessing its just our affiliate.

Granted, I've only had HD for a few weeks, but nothing on NBC looks "good"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 6091 Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1817 View Post

It's official- NBC's HD programming is the pits. If it's not "snowing", its Ghosting. I've checked the channel via my D* and OTA antenna and they both are horrid. Everything else seems to come across great. I'm guessing its just our affiliate.

Funny, it only took you a few weeks to figure this out. Most people think after months WMC still looks good.

I'm watching Heros right now and even though I don;t see any sparkling, I am hearing some snaps in the rear speakers.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4413 of 6091 Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like WHBQ-DT is down. Was only gonna see who got cut and only Tivo'd the first 20 minutes.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4414 of 6091 Old 02-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Aro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

It's actually a combination of WMC and NBC. NBC makes their affiliates carry Weather+ as a subchannel. WMC carries "The Tube" as a second subchannel, which kills their bandwidth even further.

The only thing we can hope is that WMC gets sold and the new owner drops The Tube.
post #4415 of 6091 Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

It's actually a combination of WMC and NBC. NBC makes their affiliates carry Weather+ as a subchannel. WMC carries "The Tube" as a second subchannel, which kills their bandwidth even further.

The only thing we can hope is that WMC gets sold and the new owner drops The Tube.

That makes sense (why the feed sucks).

And 13 went out last night (HD feed) about 7:30.
post #4416 of 6091 Old 02-23-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

I thought it was the NBC O&O's had to carry Weather + and it was optional for affiliates.

I think the only way for WMC to fix their picture is to turn off the subs. Starving the subs during HD programs doesn't even do it. I don't know why their PQ looks so much worse than the other stations but it does. Even WREG doesn't have the smearing effect on programs that WMC shows. Maybe it's an equipment issue. I only watch 4, now 3 programs on WMC because of this. I hate watching ER or Heros and whenever the person is talking their face goes blurry. You can't even tell where the cheek bones are until they stop talking or moving. Not to mention I have seen blocking during SD programs. I can't say if it's still there because I have downloaded Scrubs off the net for the past month. So actually that makes 2 programs on WMC I watch.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4417 of 6091 Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And 13 went out last night (HD feed) about 7:30.

WHBQ-DT was back up this morning during GMM

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4418 of 6091 Old 02-23-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Looks like WHBQ-DT is down. Was only gonna see who got cut and only Tivo'd the first 20 minutes.

It's the old exciter software again! When we put it back in to fix the Dish Network receiver issues, we got the original problem back. It doesn't happen often, but the exciter sometimes locks up and someone has to go out to the transmitter and reset it. We are getting a new version of the software today that we hope will fix this without breaking the Dish receivers again.

Sorry for croaking last night!

DTV Dave
post #4419 of 6091 Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My HDTivo is really crapping the bed the last few days-- recordings stop in the middle of shows, and I have to "babysit" it to make sure I get all of my shows. (This is on multiple channels.) I've got 6.3c.

I know if I call DTV about it, they'll offer me an HR20. I have loved my HDTivo, but maybe it's time to make the move. Can somebody give me an update on the Memphis HD locals? Still no CBS? What about the CW shows?
post #4420 of 6091 Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 62
No change in HD via satellite. But you can use the same antenna you had for the HR10 and connect it to the HR20 and record them that way.

I had to re-boot my HR10-250 last night because I lost all of my channels. First time in about 5 months. I'm still running software version 3.???.

-Robert
post #4421 of 6091 Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I plugged my main HDTivo in for the 3rd time in the past 840 days and I got 6.3c from 3.1.5f. My other HDTivo has been stable on 6.3c so far.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4422 of 6091 Old 02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched Studio 60 tonight and did see the sparkling. It was quite evident against a dark background.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4423 of 6091 Old 03-01-2007, 07:39 AM

Maybe one of you local guys can help me out w/ my question.

I currently have the standard comcast analog package, and I get the local HD channels via my QAM tuner (all come through great BTW). Because of our 3-month old, we've been having to tape our shows via the VCR.

Here's my question. If I rent a DVR from Comcast w/o upgrading to digital, will I have any issues tuning into my HD channels? I see the HD-DVR is hard to come by right now, and I'm fine w/ getting a standard DVR.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm also considering just getting Tivo for $13/mo, pretty much the same price as getting one from Comcast ($14.90). The only difference is that there's a 1-yr commitment w/ Tivo.

Cheers...
post #4424 of 6091 Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 AM

I'm pretty (almost 100%) sure digital Cable is required to get Comcast's DVR.
post #4425 of 6091 Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:

That's what I expected to hear when I called them, but she said I could receive it w/ my current analog package, even the budget $13 analog package.
post #4426 of 6091 Old 03-01-2007, 08:03 AM

that's surprising! I know it (Obviously) won't record your HD stuff, but I'm surprised a Digital Video recorder can record Anolog shows..
post #4427 of 6091 Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:

that's surprising! I know it (Obviously) won't record your HD stuff, but I'm surprised a Digital Video recorder can record Anolog shows..

I'm guessing it would only tune into and record the unencrypted digital stations (local ones and cspan), which would be fine because we're looking at doing the $13 package anyways. I'm thinking I could connect the DVR via the s-video input and use that for recordings, and continue to watch HD via the coax.

???
post #4428 of 6091 Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Aro

Quote:

Actually, a good deal of the stuff on "digital" cable is nothing more than analog being passed straight to the box. You really only get into the actual pure digital channels somewhere in the 100's, I believe. The most obvious examples of this are Spike and Sci-Fi. You can actually see bleed-throughs from other analog channels.

The DVR has two built-in MPEG-2 encoders for recording the analog feeds. When it records pure digital feeds, it simply spools the stream to disk.
post #4429 of 6091 Old 03-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Is it just me or is Comcast HD picture quality really taking a dive lately? Frames freezing up and then breaking up. Go over to their regular channels and you don't see the same problems.

Geesh its just hard to watch something lately on Comcrap.
post #4430 of 6091 Old 03-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Aro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMHerDad88 View Post

Is it just me or is Comcast HD picture quality really taking a dive lately? Frames freezing up and then breaking up. Go over to their regular channels and you don't see the same problems.

Could be the signal strength on your line. HD channels are more sensitive to signal issues than SD ones. There's a pretty easy way to tell. Tune to one of the HD channels that's having issues. Leave the box on and hold the Select button down on the box (won't work on the remote) until the little "mail" indicator starts flashing. Let go of select and press Info. That will get you into the diagnostic screen.

Under "RF PARAMETERS" you'll see "Tuner 1". The second value (the one that has dBmV next to it) is your signal strength on that particular frequency. Multiple channels reside on a single frequency.

I've found optimum signal strength for HD to be around +3 or so. If the value is in red, that indicates serious signal issues. you can press Exit to leave the diagnostic menu. If there's a signal issue, have Comcast come out to test the line themselves. Just tell them your channels are freezing and breaking up, and they'll send someone.

Once, all the guy had to do was replace a poorly-terminated coax cable, and it worked fine again. Another time, it was a bad tap out at the street.
post #4431 of 6091 Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

While not related to Comcast, but it sure sucks to turn to an HD program on WREG or WMC and see blocking all over the place. They have pretty much ruined weekend sports for me. My tv is staying on FSC more often.

Does anyone else think that WREG-DT has gotten worse since the SB, or is it just me?

I watched a couple of minutes of the golf tourney Saturday afternoon on WMC. I was able to see the ghosting effect when the NBC logo went slowly across the screen.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4432 of 6091 Old 03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Does anyone else think that WREG-DT has gotten worse since the SB, or is it just me?

On the few occasions I've tuned in over the past weeks, I've thought that WREG looked unusually soft and a bit noisy. They've definitely broadcast better pictures in the past, but it may just be what I was watching.

Let's see how The Masters looks.

Chase

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #4433 of 6091 Old 03-07-2007, 05:41 PM

[quote=Aro]Could be the signal strength on your line. HD channels are more sensitive to signal issues than SD ones. There's a pretty easy way to tell. Tune to one of the HD channels that's having issues. Leave the box on and hold the Select button down on the box (won't work on the remote) until the little "mail" indicator starts flashing. Let go of select and press Info. That will get you into the diagnostic screen.

Under "RF PARAMETERS" you'll see "Tuner 1". The second value (the one that has dBmV next to it) is your signal strength on that particular frequency. Multiple channels reside on a single frequency.

I've found optimum signal strength for HD to be around +3 or so.

after taking readings on different channels i came up with -9 to -12. i have to wait until some kind of sports comes on (like nascar on espn) to really see the crappy stuff.
post #4434 of 6091 Old 03-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:

For the first time since I've had TW/Comcast's HD DVR service (which is basically as long as it has been available on the west side of the river), I experienced poor picture and sound quality on recordings made the past couple of weeks. There were a couple of shows, Heroes, I think, that the audio was strangely out-of-sync with the pictures. Sometimes rewinding would resync it. There were also jumps in the video, not the blocking that a lot of you OTA folks talk about all the time on here, but enough to be annoying.

I'm not having a great feeling about Comcast. My bill already went up about $9 from the last TW bill. After two trips to the local office, this was because Comcast would not include the "digital movie tier" in my base package like TW did. (It got removed from my service on the last trip.). The really sad thing is that the clerks at the office were as equally exhausted with Comcast as I was. One of them even said that Comcast's billing system is like the one that TW upgraded from over two years ago and they felt like all of this was a big step backwards.

My gut feeling is that I'm going to switch to DirecTV as soon as all of the locals with HD are available in HD (not OTA) unless Comcast actually does produce a TIVO-based DVR. I've also been tempted to spend my tax return on a TIVO Series 3, but I put that thought at the back of my head when the folks at the local Comcast office said something along the lines of "Cable Card? What's that? I don't think you can use your own equipment with the digital stuff."

Finally... I got my Comcast feeling off my chest.

Timbeaux
post #4435 of 6091 Old 03-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Aro

Quote:

after taking readings on different channels i came up with -9 to -12. i have to wait until some kind of sports comes on (like nascar on espn) to really see the crappy stuff.

Yeah, that's definitely way too low. They should be able to do something about it. I'd give Comcast a call and tell them the problems that you're having, and ask them to send someone out to check and fix signal strength.
post #4436 of 6091 Old 03-08-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:

I have digital service (SA 8300HD DVR) and am still able to get the basic channels in HD on cable-ready (QAM) on Memphis Comcast.
post #4437 of 6091 Old 03-08-2007, 09:25 AM

Anyone notice the WMC-HD logo this morning during the Today show? The WMC segments were not in HD though....wonder why they doing the logo...
post #4438 of 6091 Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwearyeyes View Post

Anyone notice the WMC-HD logo this morning during the Today show? The WMC segments were not in HD though....wonder why they doing the logo...

I've seen it before on other programs. I think last time was during Leno months ago. It's huge and stayed on the screen for almost an eternity, ie less than 2 minutes.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4439 of 6091 Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 AM

usually I get a good picture.
post #4440 of 6091 Old 03-09-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi everyone,

It's that time of the year again. Time for the NCAA bracket challenge.

The site has been setup at http://www.sugarplumgals.com/ncaa/home.asp. There you should find all the info that you need to play. If you have any questions there are email addresses to ask a question.

Please forward the link on to all of your friends who you think might be interested in playing.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
memphis , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page