Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4441 of 6091 Old 03-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was wondering if I could get any recommendations on what kind of HDMI cable to buy for my XBR2 in Memphis .. I need one tomorrow...
Amazon has them cheap but I need one on Saturday...any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 6091 Old 03-09-2007, 08:09 PM

i wouldn't worry about brands, other folks would argue to the contrary, but I wouldn't. If you need it tomorrow, then you really can't order one. I would suggest walmart, home depot may have a good price too not sure, or target. I forgot what I gave for mine but it wasn't more than.......wait I got mine free from directv.....nevermind, go to those stores, I would stay away from BB or CC, just get the length you need.
post #4443 of 6091 Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Sounds good to me. I know the price of cables at BB and CC are really high. I heard that they were no better than the cheaper priced hdmi cables on Amazon for $14.99 (6.5')... I just hope Walmart etc has some of the cheaper cables. One person stated that the cheaper cables were easier to break because they were thinner. Makes sense but I will be careful not to rough them up too much, I was just asking to make sure the quality of the picture would not be diminished. I'm heading to Giant TV tomorrow to get my Sony. Will be a last min decision between the xbr2 and the kds-602020....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4444 of 6091 Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 AM

Anyone else have this problem?

I get our local HD channels through a QAM tuner through standard analog cable. Right now my CW channel is blank, and my ABC channel has the CW video but ABC audio. Make sense? It's been like this for a couple days.

Any idea if it's my TV or the cable co?
post #4445 of 6091 Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Aro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post

Sounds good to me. I know the price of cables at BB and CC are really high. I heard that they were no better than the cheaper priced hdmi cables on Amazon for $14.99 (6.5')... I just hope Walmart etc has some of the cheaper cables. One person stated that the cheaper cables were easier to break because they were thinner. Makes sense but I will be careful not to rough them up too much, I was just asking to make sure the quality of the picture would not be diminished. I'm heading to Giant TV tomorrow to get my Sony. Will be a last min decision between the xbr2 and the kds-602020....

The picture quality will be just fine. HDMI is a pure digital signal, so it's not like speaker wire or coax where passing a greater range of frequencies can affect signal quality. As long all the data in the signal is being passed down the cable, the picture will be the same on any HDMI cable, whether you paid $7 or $70. Unless you're putting your TV on the other side of the room from the playback device and need some really long cable, cheap ones will work just fine.

The myth that more expensive HDMI cables somehow increase your picture quality is a scam perpetrated by the big retail chains who make HUGE profit margins on overpriced cables. Their pricing is the electronic equivalent of soda and candy at a movie theater.
post #4446 of 6091 Old 03-11-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bitrates from today's HD programs.

WREG - college b-ball WMC - golf WPTY - NBA WHBQ - NASCAR

Pretty sad for the 2 1080i channels.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4447 of 6091 Old 03-12-2007, 03:57 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum and I must day it has been very helpful. Within the next few weeks I will be setting up a HD antenna to pick up Memphis Channels and some other from around here.

I am located in Senath, Missouri in the Bootheel. Right now I am watching WMC-5 with a digital lock and a signal strength of 72%. I am using bunny ears! I can't wait to see how many more stations I can watch when I set up a outdoor antenna. I can pick up every Memphis channel now but FOX with by bunny ears. However I can get Fox out of Cape. Pretty cool stuff......

Anymore pointers or tips you have for me, feel free to post them. I am hoping I should do pretty good with a outdoor antenna since I am doing so good with the bunny ears. Just to many free HDTV channels out there now not to take advantage of them....no sense in paying someone else to get them....Plus I am kind of addicted to this stuff now to.

Anyways, I will let you know how it goes!

Ndeck83
post #4448 of 6091 Old 03-12-2007, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Welcome to the forum Ndeck83. Looks like you are in a good location for OTA. We used to have Cape and Paducah stations on our cable system here, but not any more. I miss having a choice of CBS and NBC channels during NFL season. Memphis and J'boro are all I can get. Cape and Paducah are over 100 miles away from me, and Little Rock is 150.
post #4449 of 6091 Old 03-12-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndeck83 View Post

I can't wait to see how many more stations I can watch when I set up a outdoor antenna. I can pick up every Memphis channel now but FOX with by bunny ears. However I can get Fox out of Cape. Pretty cool stuff......
Ndeck83

WHBQ-DT has been down to 1/2 power since around 2 PM on Sunday. There is a crowbar issue that is keeping one of the two amplifiers off. We're working on it today. I'll let you know when it's back up so you can try us again.
Thanks,

DTV Dave
post #4450 of 6091 Old 03-12-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV Dave View Post

WHBQ-DT has been down to 1/2 power since around 2 PM on Sunday. There is a crowbar issue that is keeping one of the two amplifiers off. We're working on it today. I'll let you know when it's back up so you can try us again.
Thanks,

Would that explain why a couple of times yesterday the picture/audio would freeze for a minute or so and then pick right back up?

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4451 of 6091 Old 03-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV Dave View Post

Thanks,

Cool & Interesting job you have there. I worked as a Master Control Operator for awhile late last year for KAIT-8 in Jonesboro. So, I know how much behind the seens hard work goes into making a TV station function....I loved the job especially during severe weather lots of screaming going on lol. But due to the long drive and poor pay(they were way below the national average for MCOs) I had to find another job closer to home.

I will be looking for WHBQ. It will be very helpful to get your broadcast from Memphis...That would keep me from having to rotate to the North to pick up the feed from Cape.
post #4452 of 6091 Old 03-12-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Hi everyone,

It's that time of the year again. Time for the NCAA bracket challenge.

The site has been setup at http://www.sugarplumgals.com/ncaa/home.asp. There you should find all the info that you need to play. If you have any questions there are email addresses to ask a question.

Please forward the link on to all of your friends who you think might be interested in playing.

And still no WREG in HD on DTV. What a bunch of assmuchers at that station.
post #4453 of 6091 Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Pretty sad for the 2 1080i channels.

The saddest thing is that the two 1080i channels are the ones multi-casting.

Chase

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #4454 of 6091 Old 03-12-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post

The saddest thing is that the two 1080i channels are the ones multi-casting.

I completely agree. I really wish that more sports programming would show up on the CW since they don't mulitcast and their HD PQ is beautiful. Since they upped the bitrate I've only seen blocking during the beginning of Reba. (I'll never see that again ) I see it all the time on both WREG and WMC.

I honestly think both channels have gotten worse since the new year. WREG has capped 3-2 at almost 2 mbps and 3-1 has suffered because of it. Many times during the games yesterday I would see over 1.5 mbps of null data during the games. So that's removing 3.5 mbps of data from 3-1. And they wonder why their PQ looks like crap. Oh wait, the clown engineer at WREG doesn't think there is a problem. But as we all remember, WREG doesn't care about viewers comments of their HD PQ, they keep that all in-house.

WMC is so far gone it's almost useless. They are using more than WREG is to steal from the HD PQ. I haven't see good HD from WMC in an awful long time. That could be because the PQ looks so bad I barely even watch that channel anymore. They even manage to make golf look terrible. And I'm not talking about the SD shots. Given a chance of HD soccer on WMC, and SD soccer on FSC or GolTV, I'd pick the later.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen any children's programming on Weather +? Aren't ALL subs supposed to have children's programming on it? How is WMC getting away with it?

It is pretty sad when even FOX, who dictates national programming bitrates, is more than our locals.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4455 of 6091 Old 03-13-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Would that explain why a couple of times yesterday the picture/audio would freeze for a minute or so and then pick right back up?

That would be me pushing the wrong button. I wanted to shut off the bad amplifier cabinet, but ended up shutting off the water supply to the whole thing, which automatically killed the other (working) amplifier. The button was labeled "A Standby", but it ended up killing "B" as well. Not particularly intuitive, and I'm not used to the controls. Our normal guys weren't available so I went to the site to check it when it went to half power. Never let the boss touch the good stuff!

We're back to full power now, but we're checking with the manufacturer about this since it seems to happen more often than it should.

DTV Dave
post #4456 of 6091 Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Aro

Quote:

WMC is so far gone it's almost useless. They are using more than WREG is to steal from the HD PQ. I haven't see good HD from WMC in an awful long time. That could be because the PQ looks so bad I barely even watch that channel anymore. They even manage to make golf look terrible. And I'm not talking about the SD shots. Given a chance of HD soccer on WMC, and SD soccer on FSC or GolTV, I'd pick the later.

The only thing I've seen that looks half-way decent on WMC is the NHL. That's probably because a good portion of the screen is taken up by subtle shades of white, which should compress pretty well.
post #4457 of 6091 Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

The only thing I've seen that looks half-way decent on WMC is the NHL. That's probably because a good portion of the screen is taken up by subtle shades of white, which should compress pretty well.

Do you ever see the blue and red ghosting effect from the lines when the camera moves? I see it all the time.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4458 of 6091 Old 03-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Aro

Quote:

Do you ever see the blue and red ghosting effect from the lines when the camera moves? I see it all the time.

Occasionally, but I guess to me it's not as noticeable. I'm just happy to see ANY NHL games in HD, usually.

Whenever the game goes to commercial and they fly their logo across the screen, however, the insane level of macroblocking appears and is painfully obvious.
post #4459 of 6091 Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 AM

I know this forum is for Memphis HD disscusions only but I have a fast question.

I am currently buying everything I need to do my install here at my house.

Can you use the same coax you use for the antenna for the rotor wire to? Or do you have to use a special kind of cable for the rotor....Would be cool if I could use the same because I already have 2 lines prewired up to the roof.

Thanks alot guys for the help!

Nat.
post #4460 of 6091 Old 03-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nat,
You cannot use the same coax for the rotor. A rotor needs a three or four conductor cable, which of course the coax is not. You can get a 100' roll of rotor cable at a home improvement store for ~ $5.00
post #4461 of 6091 Old 03-14-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WREG has their schedule for tomorrow on the Sports section of the website. It's an image instead of some kind of text that can be copied. Are they worried of some copyright protection?

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4462 of 6091 Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks Neil L!
post #4463 of 6091 Old 03-15-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh man, got home from work and turned the NCAA game on, ouch. Took me 5 seconds to get mad at the PQ.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4464 of 6091 Old 03-15-2007, 07:22 PM

Cool...I just re-scanned my channels (I just have NON-digital cable and a QAM-equipped tv) and I found I pick up A&E HD, National Geographic HD, and all the NBA League Pass channels, in additioni to all the local HD channels I already knew I got. All the channels have great pq.
post #4465 of 6091 Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Aro

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwearyeyes View Post

Cool...I just re-scanned my channels (I just have NON-digital cable and a QAM-equipped tv) and I found I pick up A&E HD, National Geographic HD, and all the NBA League Pass channels, in additioni to all the local HD channels I already knew I got. All the channels have great pq.

I know Comcast just added A&E HD and NatGeo HD this week, but I didn't know you could get them over analog... that's pretty cool.
post #4466 of 6091 Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

I know Comcast just added A&E HD and NatGeo HD this week, but I didn't know you could get them over analog... that's pretty cool.

Maybe they just haven't gotten around to encrypting them. I'm also getting all the NBA League Pass games...odd.
post #4467 of 6091 Old 03-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Is anyone having problem getting CW (channel 30-1) OTA in HD? I got a weak signal screen just the other day and now the channel no longer comes up.
post #4468 of 6091 Old 03-17-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser10 View Post

Is anyone having problem getting CW (channel 30-1) OTA in HD? I got a weak signal screen just the other day and now the channel no longer comes up.

Are you still having problems with it today? I'm curently getting it.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4469 of 6091 Old 03-17-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pics of one of today's games.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United